What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle: 81-71 win vs. Fort Hays = "Worst win [during my tenure at CU]

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
Tad Boyle has repeatedly stressed that his team has a tendency to not want to show up for the games against "lesser" teams. Defense gets sloppy, too many missed/forced shots, inadequate ball movement, etc is what I'm talking about in regards to "not showing up." Well, gee, look what happened at the Keg on Saturday afternoon.

Boyle, frank as always, got straight to the point regarding his thoughts on the win.

"This team has two things going for it right now, Boyle said. "Number one, they own the most disappointing loss in [the] seven year span [that I've coached here], the Colorado State game a few weeks ago, now they can also add to that they own the most disappointing win, which is the Fort Hays State game here today."

Wow. Tad's standards for the Buffs' performance rise quite high against "lesser" opponents and they damn well should. My view on the game: A win's a win, but the Buffaloes let Fort Hays linger around in the second half, allowing the Tigers 49 points in the final 20 minutes. Colorado mustered 42. The final score was waaay too close.

"Coach [Tad Boyle] was telling us we didn't put 40 minutes together, we put 20 minutes together," King said after the win. King called the win an "eye-opener" and Boyle said that Colorado's second half effort was atrocious."

The Buffs held the Tigers to just 7-of-32 from the floor in the first half. FHSU also did not score a single point in the paint in the first 20 minutes of play.

"It's hard for me to look at the first half vs. Fort Hays and be positive because I look at the second half and I'm so damn mad I can barely see straight," Boyle said.

A spread out performance by the Buffs in the first half led to a 39-22 score in favor of CU with both teams heading to the locker rooms. George King and Josh Fortune both put up seven, while Derrick White and XJ dropped six apiece.

Colorado got to the charity line quite a bit through 20 minutes, converting 13-of-18 free throws.

Free throws would be a major source of points for the Buffs in the game. Colorado scored nearly half its points from the free throw line, going 31-of-41 on Saturday afternoon.

The Buffs won the game 81-71, as the Tigers managed to stay in the game, clawing their way back from large deficits. Fort Hays was good from long range in the game, making 10 shots from beyond the arch compared to CU's six.

Three Buffaloes dropped 15 in the win; Fortune, Johnson and freshman guard Deleon Brown. Brown went 3-of-5 from deep in the win and played just 19 minutes.

Colorado was weak on possession changes. Fort Hays scored 12 fast break points compared to the Buffs' four, and the Tigers were able to nab 11 second chance points, again compared to CU's four.

The Tigers' Rob Davis dropped 29 in the win, a season high by an opponent on the Buffaloes. Davis made all of his shots in the second half, establishing a new Coors Events Center record for most points in a half. He was lethal from long range, making seven baskets from downtown.

"Thank god Davis didn't play very well in the first half, because he would have had 50 on us," Boyle said.

On the day, the Buffs shot 43 percent from the floor. Rebounding was an area of mediocrity for Colorado; The Buffs had 40 boards but allowed 36 to the Tigers.

The Colorado Buffaloes are running out of fluff non conference games. A road matchup against Air Force lingers and shortly after that, conference play will begin and things will become do or die for CU, which needs every win it can get.

"Air Force is disciplined and tough," Boyle said. "When this Colorado basketball team plays against teams that are disciplined and are tough, we struggle," Boyle said. "Right now with this team, I'm disgusted."

Glad his tearing into this team. They have no reason to be cocky. Half this team lost in the CBI. 1 ncaa tournament win in 6 years. They haven't done anything yet. Football did more in 1 year than this team has done in all of Boyle's years.

I mean...if we aren't taking all this as major warning signs of a poor year, we're poor basketball fans, and poorer humans.

Letting up against Fort Hays State is not unexpected and is a common response to playing a lower-tier opponent. Has happened a lot over the past few years, although (as Tad points out) perhaps never as severely as this game.

So it only becomes a real issue if we 'coast' after building a big lead against a more talented team. Which is a potential concern.

A guy passes up an open three for a "dipsy do, whiparoo, fading, shoot on the way down shot that never gets to the rim. Not sure I understand that...". If it weren't so sad, it would've been funny.

Letting up against Fort Hays State is not unexpected and is a common response to playing a lower-tier opponent. Has happened a lot over the past few years, although (as Tad points out) perhaps never as severely as this game.

So it only becomes a real issue if we 'coast' after building a big lead against a more talented team. Which is a potential concern.
Name one good hoops school that would only beat Hayes by 10.

Indiana did lose to Ft Wayne this year. Now, Ft Wayne did move up from D2 a little over a decade ago but we're also no Indiana as a basketball program.

They shutdown and took Davis out of the game in first half.

Last years team didn't play full 40 versus Fort Lewis up 2 at half.

Team closed out a game. Last year The complaint was that they lost games late

Expectations and what team should be are high.
Loss to CSU will always remain no matter what victories come next.

Winning by 10 against FHSU, and particularly the poor play, is not ok. In itself, it's not a measure of the 2016-17 Buffs. However, the inconsistency is somewhat similar to 2014-15, when expectations were high and we kept waiting for things to 'click' but they never did. The embarrassing disaster in Laramie, perhaps paralleling the home loss to CSU this year, and of course the season finale v Seattle in the CBI, resulting in a losing record...

Beating Texas and Xavier are promising signs that this year could turn out ok. We should find out about this group pretty quickly when the conference season gets going.

Finishing up with wins at Air Force (road wins help a lot, even against bad teams) and at home against Eastern Washington (solid Top 100 team) to go into Pac-12 play at 10-3 should put us in very good shape with an RPI that is a lot better positioned than our current #94.

Back