What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The "Change"

GawainBuff

Club Member
Club Member
"Changing the culture" of a program is an overused, and often completely undefined, phrase, but it contains within it some important realities.

In listening to HCMT's post-game press conference, I was struck with just what that phrase means for him and for this team. Of course, he repeated the old trope that he expected the biggest improvements for this team to occur between the first and second games, but he described those improvements as coming from the "aggregation of marginal gains": i.e., focusing on each player improving a little creates a large cumulative, and powerful, improvement in the team.

To begin with, I love the way HCMT is able to drop abstract concepts, perfectly considered and applied, into casual responses. More importantly, I think his way of looking at developing a football team, and working through a game, is a quantum leap beyond the MM approach. MM seemed to focus on the idea that there are going to be a few important plays in any game that are decisive. That thought-process always rubbed me the wrong way, as it presumes the criticality of almost randomly occurring moments in the future. As an athlete, that view of the game seems a poor motivator and basis for working your ass off: who knows when all of this will be important, but you should be ready when it is? It's ok. It's not overly helpful.

HCMT's approach is very personal, and personnel, based. He really doesn't seem to care or be worried about those moments. Based on his comments to the team at half-time, the entire first half of the NUB game (and all it's "critical moments') was merely prelude to the essential reality that "we out worked them this summer" and we haven't even begun to show how good we are. It's about to happen, and they are going to crumble. I love that. Confident. Calm. Positive. Easy to understand. Motivating to think about it. Not based on the unknown to come, but on the known we have spent months working on. Our ability to win is already inside us.

No yelling. No blame. No panic.

People can talk about the "culture change" in a variety of different ways, but for me, this change in perspective belies the change in attitude and performance that we have seen in the second half of each of these incredible games.

HCMT had me at "aggregation of marginal gains."

You find a coach who connects with his players and knows what winning looks like, in the preparation as well as the schematics, you found a gem to hold on to.

Go Buffs!

I just want to say that I was glad to see this thread wasn't about menopause.

Seriously, though, the OP is spot on. And games like Saturday reinforce the entire message to raise the confidence so much. I feel so good about what has happened under HCMT and where I believe this is going.

Last edited:
"Changing the culture" of a program is an overused, and often completely undefined, phrase, but it contains within it some important realities.

In listening to HCMT's post-game press conference, I was struck with just what that phrase means for him and for this team. Of course, he repeated the old trope that he expected the biggest improvements for this team to occur between the first and second games, but he described those improvements as coming from the "aggregation of marginal gains": i.e., focusing on each player improving a little creates a large cumulative, and powerful, improvement in the team.

To begin with, I love the way HCMT is able to drop abstract concepts, perfectly considered and applied, into casual responses. More importantly, I think his way of looking at developing a football team, and working through a game, is a quantum leap beyond the MM approach. MM seemed to focus on the idea that there are going to be a few important plays in any game that are decisive. That thought-process always rubbed me the wrong way, as it presumes the criticality of almost randomly occurring moments in the future. As an athlete, that view of the game seems a poor motivator and basis for working your ass off: who knows when all of this will be important, but you should be ready when it is? It's ok. It's not overly helpful.

HCMT's approach is very personal, and personnel, based. He really doesn't seem to care or be worried about those moments. Based on his comments to the team at half-time, the entire first half of the NUB game (and all it's "critical moments') was merely prelude to the essential reality that "we out worked them this summer" and we haven't even begun to show how good we are. It's about to happen, and they are going to crumble. I love that. Confident. Calm. Positive. Easy to understand. Motivating to think about it. Not based on the unknown to come, but on the known we have spent months working on. Our ability to win is already inside us.

No yelling. No blame. No panic.

People can talk about the "culture change" in a variety of different ways, but for me, this change in perspective belies the change in attitude and performance that we have seen in the second half of each of these incredible games.

HCMT had me at "aggregation of marginal gains."

You find a coach who connects with his players and knows what winning looks like, in the preparation as well as the schematics, you found a gem to hold on to.

Go Buffs!
Another thing that I appreciate. Some calls didn’t go our way. FHCMM would make a big deal of it. From where I sat, never saw HCMT make a big deal of any of the missed calls. To me that speaks of superior composure, and a confidence that the job will get done, regardless of challenges. That is just one of the small things that will start to separate this team’s mindset with former team’s mindset.

Another thing that I appreciate. Some calls didn’t go our way. FHCMM would make a big deal of it. From where I sat, never saw HCMT make a big deal of any of the missed calls. To me that speaks of superior composure, and a confidence that the job will get done, regardless of challenges. That is just one of the small things that will start to separate this team’s mindset with former team’s mindset.
its a minor note but if you watch MT's face during a game it remains almost entirely unchanged. We heard "stay off the mountain tops and out of the valleys" from some ahole back years ago but MT is doing it. He's focused and stays that way until the clock hits zeros. right after that he smiled for the first time, pretty sure i even saw him wipe away what might have been a tear. but he's the embodiment of "keep grinding".

Last edited:
This cracked me up. I admit the title was an odd choice, but It was worth it for this responsive comment. Thanks.

And don't mind @96 Buff ... that is kind of the way he "greets" anyone he perceives as a newbie. If he wasn't a mod himself, the other mods would probably give him a timeout for it. :p

Back