What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Triple Option

PAC MAN

Tekken Masher.
Club Member
Last edited:
Suppose the triple option was to come to the Pac-12, which school would most likely adopt it?

Those shotgun formations with the two RBs are in the spread option playbook of NCAA FB 14.

That is what I love about that video game and that is why I haven't upgraded to a PS4/XB1 because there is no NCAA football. That O'Bannon guy from UCLA is kicking himself hard for causing NCAA FB and BB to be discontinued.

Suppose the triple option was to come to the Pac-12, which school would most likely adopt it?
Stanford seems the most "option-like" in personnel makeup if they just had a mobile QB. They already use a FB alot more than most teams and a clock-chewing power-run game. If not them, then either Utah or Arizona.

Back in 2006 with Bernard Jackson at QB it felt like we were going to return to the option offense.

Triple option to me is so much fun to watch. If run well, it’s very difficult to stop. Hagan may have been the option Q of all time.

Gotta say it: isn’t the read option the modern day TO?

It really is, same concepts to create gaps in the defense by spreading the offense out then hitting those gaps. In the triple you forced the defense to respect the middle by pounding the fullback, in the RPO you use the QB or the handoff to the RB to do the same thing.

People talked about the triple option never passing the ball but go back and look at the films of the great option QBs. They were making pinpoint 20 yard pitches while on the run and drawing defenders to themselves. In the modern spread offenses the QBs are drawing defenders and making those same 20 yard pitches but now it is to slot receivers in the gaps in the short middle zones.

People talked about the triple option never passing the ball but go back and look at the films of the great option QBs. They were making pinpoint 20 yard pitches while on the run and drawing defenders to themselves. In the modern spread offenses the QBs are drawing defenders and making those same 20 yard pitches but now it is to slot receivers in the gaps in the short middle zones.

20 yard triple option pitches? I don't think so. Pitches were typically 3 to 6 yards. I think you'd have trouble finding any over 10 yards. Hagan to Pritchard in the Pigskin Classic was one of the most memorable long pitches and that was probably only 8 yards.

Back