What's new

WBB Hype

Bmixer

recruiting has always been my biggest problems with the last several CU staff. This year I want to see progress on the court that this program is not going to be a perennial bottom feeder program. I know they are going to be young and all that and lose a major part of the team but at some time the needle has to start moving up and not always down imo

buffgal

Club Member
Club Member
WBB has been down since Coach Barry retired. It had already started down when she retired. It hasn't gotten better yet, imo.

Bmixer

I agree that since Real has left recruiting has not been great. Hoping that will change sometime in the near future

MarkW

Ceal was having problems recruiting in Colorado at the end of her coaching career.
Ceal never liked recruiting and when the electronic era came along it got worse as she just didn't want to "coddle" teenagers. She wrote an op-ed piece that was published in the NY Times after she retired that went basically stated that.

And speaking of Colorado, this state produces more female basketball talent than one would expect given the population. It would be nice to see some of the top talent come to Boulder.

PAHIBuff

Putin's Dildo
The latest on Lauren Betts. Probably every top team in the country is recruiting her. It would be great if she wanted to stay home and help build CU. Probably a pipe dream on my part.
Thanks BeBe. We can always hope. If she goes out of state, it would be nice if she went outside of the PAC 12.....

Jalapeno

NFS Drift King
Didn't see last night's game but from what I'm reading on BuffZone, it seems like Payne could be having fun coaching the players this season. Sounds not too much different from Boyle two seasons ago.

Bmixer

Didn't see last night's game but from what I'm reading on BuffZone, it seems like Payne could be having fun coaching the players this season. Sounds not too much different from Boyle two seasons ago.
Bolye had Wright and Bey. Payne does not have that. It was a nice win, but Wisconsin did not exactly put up a great fight. I think Wyoming and CSU will be tougher tests since they are on the road. One good thing about this year is Aubry Knight is healthy. She is reminding me of Amy Mathern from back in the day. Tough, gritty player

Jalapeno

NFS Drift King
Bolye had Wright and Bey. Payne does not have that. It was a nice win, but Wisconsin did not exactly put up a great fight. I think Wyoming and CSU will be tougher tests since they are on the road. One good thing about this year is Aubry Knight is healthy. She is reminding me of Amy Mathern from back in the day. Tough, gritty player
I'm not talking about the players...just the overall energy and sometimes getting rid of players from the previous coaching regime or underachievers from the previous season helps the overall energy. Will need it at the beginning of conference play where the Buffs open @Utah, @UO (they beat Team USA recently), and @OS. The Wyoming & CSU games will be good tests for this squad.

Bmixer

I'm not talking about the players...just the overall energy and sometimes getting rid of players from the previous coaching regime or underachievers from the previous season helps the overall energy. Will need it at the beginning of conference play where the Buffs open @Utah, @UO (they beat Team USA recently), and @OS. The Wyoming & CSU games will be good tests for this squad.
She still has Q and I am not buying she did not have fun coaching Kennedy and Lexi. They are not beating Oregon and till I have to see them play better against tougher teams than Wisconsin I am not totally believing in this team. Still believe they have a lack of talent to compete in the Pac 12 but we shall see. J.R. is always positive and and I think sometimes overly positive but we shall see. Wisconsin was a nice win but they may be 12th if they played in the pac 12

HappyBuff

Not sure how getting rid of the best player in a decade makes you better?? A player that spent 3 years with JR and staff and one that JR said was the hardest working and one of the best leaders and players she’s ever coached
Don’t think we’ll know much about this team for a while; WY just lost to DU and CSU got beat by Idaho. This is the weakest RPI non conference schedule is 10 years.

Bmixer

Not sure how getting rid of the best player in a decade makes you better?? A player that spent 3 years with JR and staff and one that JR said was the hardest working and one of the best leaders and players she’s ever coached
Don’t think we’ll know much about this team for a while; WY just lost to DU and CSU got beat by Idaho. This is the weakest RPI non conference schedule is 10 years.
Agree with you on Kennedy. It is always tough playing in Laramie for any CU team no matter how bad Wyoming is and CSU on the road will be tough for this team especially if 3 point shots are not falling.

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Wisconsin and Wyoming, while not exactly marquee wins, were 2 of the big ones to get though in a year where I think we're pretty much counting on going undefeated in the non-conference in order to see the post-season. Need that CSU game badly.

Bmixer

Wisconsin and Wyoming, while not exactly marquee wins, were 2 of the big ones to get though in a year where I think we're pretty much counting on going undefeated in the non-conference in order to see the post-season. Need that CSU game badly.
agree with you. CU needs to win that one on the road. the pac 12 is going to be tough but I am hoping for a NIT berth.

PAHIBuff

Putin's Dildo
Nice win up in Laramie, a tough place to play, but WY is really not good.

In matter of a few years the PAC 12 has become a beastly great league for womens' hoops. It turns out that JR picked a very tough conference for her jump into the bigs. Best of luck to the team - I'm sure they will pay hard and give it their best.

Best player in a decade? There is a difference between playing with a lead or trying to make a run to win games and playing behind down by 10-20 points against teams that have already pulled starters. You do realize Colorado made the NCAA women's tournament just seven years ago in 2012-13, under Lappe don't you? Additionally, that team made the WNIT Quarterfinals the three surrounding years: 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14. In the Big-12, Pac-12, NCAA, or WNIT tournaments that group had POSTSEASON WINS over UC-Riverside, Cal, Wyoming, Utah, Northern Colorado, South Dakota, Villanova, Washington, UCLA, and Southern Utah. Don't forget that group also beat ranked Louisville, and Louisville made it to the NCAA tournament women's National Championship game (losing to UCONN) that season. That group only played in the Pac-12 three seasons and managed to finish as high as 4th, and were nationally ranked. They may have only played in the Pac-12 for three seasons, but they managed to win 25 Pac-12 conference games during that span. Let's be honest, that was a team being coached by a staff that wasn't remembered for having a deep understanding of the game (Xs and Os). There were heroic individual accomplishments and brilliant players lifting their teammates up despite not having legitimate offensive/defensive schemes. Truly great players make everyone around them better. The best player on the best Buffs team in a decade? It's not even close. That has to be Chucky Jeffrey. You may not have had a chance to see her play. She was an exceptional athlete, and one of the best Buffs players overall ad PGs ever (that list has to start and stop with Kennedy, Shelly and Chucky). Pro-scouts and GMs would agree as well, as Chucky was drafted in WNBA draft 24th overall and played in the WNBA. That is a very difficult league to get into, let alone hang around and play in for different franchises in different seasons. If Chucky had played for a team as dysfunctional in college and that lost as many games as some of the recent Buffs teams, her individual stats would have been off the charts and she'd own almost every meaningful school record. There is just a fundamental difference between being a PG on a winning team and being a PG where there is nothing to play for but individual goals. As a Pro (and after looking it up) it looks like Chucky found a home in the Romanian league where she carried her teams to two Romanian League Championships and two Romanian Cup Championships, multiple-time 1st League player selection and was identified as Romanian League player of the year. There have been many great Buffs to wear the Black and Gold. To say that some are one of the best, Most of us will agree with that. The best player in a decade? That has to be Chucky Jeffrey by any meaningful and reasonable consideration. Let's not even get into the fact that the best player in program history, Brittany Spears, and another CU WNBA draft pick, played her senior season (2010-11) in the past decade. If we are really going to be technical, Alexus Atchley was a Buff in the past-10 years. When she met with Lappe to leave, Linda had to throw in one more abusive jab asking her what Division-II school she was going to transfer to. Alexus transferred within the Pac-12, to Washington, she played an absolutely critical role as captain on a team that had Kelsey Plum on it, and as a starter on a Washington team that would go on deep runs in the NCAA women's tournament and make the Final-Four. We did a terrible job recognizing Alexus's talent, leadership, and abilities here as Lappe showed her the door. Technically, an argument can be made that Alexus is the best player to play for CU in a decade as well.

Last edited:
JR Payne has things on the right track. This is not the worst RPI non-conference schedule in 10 years. That couldn't be further from the truth. Colorado is currently ranked 31st in the country in RPI. JR hasn't really had a chance to coach Colorado with her signature style, utilizing smart, gritty, tenacious players in a rotation where players have to demonstrate the leadership necessary to set aside individual accomplishments, and put the team goals first. This is basically the first season of seeing how JR Payne runs a program. JR came into CU and inherited a very unfortunate situation that had gone beyond negative, and should have transparently warranted an investigation into the emotional abuse players were being subjected to. I talked to a previous Pac-12 assistant awhile back and they shared stories of how abusive things had become in Colorado at practices prior to JR taking over. JR had to re-recruit Buffs who already had a foot halfway out the door just to try to salvage some continuity when she arrived. I think the real JR Payne era begins with this season. She inherited players that she found as difficult to coach as any she'd had at previous stops in her Head Coaching career, and at times some were borderline insubordinate and uncoachable. It is a very difficult task to coach players that you did not recruit. Programs in transition take time to rebuild. Firing a coach is never usually an instant fix. That's not uncommon when coaching young people, ask Ceal to tell you her story of how Fagan almost quit playing for CU once. Young basketball players are tough, passionate, and emotional, but also fragile, and vulnerable. Not all basketball players buy in. Special things happen for a team when they set aside their individual goals. I think JR Payne is the best Xs and Os coach CU has had in a decade. The recruiting is problematic at best.

Pac-12 teams recruit elite top-talent, four/five star players. Top-100 ranked players many of whom will get drafted in the WNBA someday, and most will have a chance to play Pro. CU just had the best recruiting class we've had in recent memory, and it is still irrelevant compared to what our Pac-12 rivals bring in. This piece mentions incoming impact freshman in the Pac-12:

Not a single CU player is mentioned. Sadly, multiple homegrown players from Colorado now playing in the Pac-12 are listed. Next year you could almost have an All Pac-12 team of just Colorado homegrown players, that wanted to stay in conference, but didn't consider Colorado. Colorado has to recruit elite players that can compete in this conference. Arguably, both CSU and Northern Colorado brought in freshman players better than some players on the CU roster. Kadie Deaton for the Bears looks to be an incredible player. Katia Stametelopoulous looks to be a spectacular young player for the Rams as well. We play in the toughest women's basketball league not named the WNBA. When regional rivals with only mid-major recruiting reach are recruiting and signing players that are better than some of the players we recruit that's problematic at best. I think most of us are onboard the JR era, as far as the coaching goes (culture of the program, Xs and Os, etc.). It is just the same broken record for most of the past decade, we just need better players to actually compete in conference.

Last edited:

buffgal

Club Member
Club Member
JR came into CU and inherited a very unfortunate situation that had gone beyond negative, and should have transparently warranted an investigation into the emotional abuse players were being subjected to. I talked to a previous Pac-12 assistant awhile back and they shared stories of how abusive things had become in Colorado at practices prior to JR taking over. JR had to re-recruit Buffs who already had a foot halfway out the door just to try to salvage some continuity when she arrived. I think the real JR Payne era begins with this season. She inherited players that she found as difficult to coach as any she'd had at previous stops in her Head Coaching career, and at times some were borderline insubordinate and uncoachable. It is a very difficult task to coach players that you did not recruit. Programs in transition take time to rebuild.

Firing a coach is never usually an instant fix. That's not uncommon when coaching young people, ask Ceal to tell you her story of how Fagan almost quit playing for CU once. Young basketball players are tough, passionate, and emotional, but also fragile, and vulnerable. Not all basketball players buy in. Special things happen for a team when they set aside their individual goals. I think JR Payne is the best Xs and Os coach CU has had in a decade. The recruiting is problematic at best.
I would like to know why there was no NCAA investigation over the emotional abuse that was happening under Lappe.

With all the stuff that had gone down during those years, it is going to take a long time for the program to recover. Firing coaches over and over doesn't get a program ahead, especially with what CU is willing to pay the coaches.

Totally agree with you on the talents of Chucky Jeffrey. Without her and the Wilson twins, CU would not have been winning games during the Lappe era.

As far as Kate Fagan almost quitting, the story is in Kate's book, in her own words.

I don't know how a coach can get top players to come to a program that is in or near the cellar. Ceal was very good at finding overachievers and building the players in to something special.

HappyBuff

Best player in a decade? There is a difference between playing with a lead or trying to make a run to win games and playing behind down by 10-20 points against teams that have already pulled starters. You do realize Colorado made the NCAA women's tournament just seven years ago in 2012-13, under Lappe don't you? Additionally, that team made the WNIT Quarterfinals the three surrounding years: 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14. In the Big-12, Pac-12, NCAA, or WNIT tournaments that group had POSTSEASON WINS over UC-Riverside, Cal, Wyoming, Utah, Northern Colorado, South Dakota, Villanova, Washington, UCLA, and Southern Utah. Don't forget that group also beat ranked Louisville, and Louisville made it to the NCAA tournament women's National Championship game (losing to UCONN) that season. That group only played in the Pac-12 three seasons and managed to finish as high as 4th, and were nationally ranked. They may have only played in the Pac-12 for three seasons, but they managed to win 25 Pac-12 conference games during that span. Let's be honest, that was a team being coached by a staff that wasn't remembered for having a deep understanding of the game (Xs and Os). There were heroic individual accomplishments and brilliant players lifting their teammates up despite not having legitimate offensive/defensive schemes. Truly great players make everyone around them better. The best player on the best Buffs team in a decade? It's not even close. That has to be Chucky Jeffrey. You may not have had a chance to see her play. She was an exceptional athlete, and one of the best Buffs players overall ad PGs ever (that list has to start and stop with Kennedy, Shelly and Chucky). Pro-scouts and GMs would agree as well, as Chucky was drafted in WNBA draft 24th overall and played in the WNBA. That is a very difficult league to get into, let alone hang around and play in for different franchises in different seasons. If Chucky had played for a team as dysfunctional in college and that lost as many games as some of the recent Buffs teams, her individual stats would have been off the charts and she'd own almost every meaningful school record. There is just a fundamental difference between being a PG on a winning team and being a PG where there is nothing to play for but individual goals. As a Pro (and after looking it up) it looks like Chucky found a home in the Romanian league where she carried her teams to two Romanian League Championships and two Romanian Cup Championships, multiple-time 1st League player selection and was identified as Romanian League player of the year. There have been many great Buffs to wear the Black and Gold. To say that some are one of the best, Most of us will agree with that. The best player in a decade? That has to be Chucky Jeffrey by any meaningful and reasonable consideration. Let's not even get into the fact that the best player in program history, Brittany Spears, and another CU WNBA draft pick, played her senior season (2010-11) in the past decade. If we are really going to be technical, Alexus Atchley was a Buff in the past-10 years. When she met with Lappe to leave, Linda had to throw in one more abusive jab asking her what Division-II school she was going to transfer to. Alexus transferred within the Pac-12, to Washington, she played an absolutely critical role as captain on a team that had Kelsey Plum on it, and as a starter on a Washington team that would go on deep runs in the NCAA women's tournament and make the Final-Four. We did a terrible job recognizing Alexus's talent, leadership, and abilities here as Lappe showed her the door. Technically, an argument can be made that Alexus is the best player to play for CU in a decade as well.
All great players. Based on who she played (with from a talent perspective) and the fact she won 60% of her games as a starter in her final 3 years, I’ll stick with my opinion and you can stick with yours.

HappyBuff

JR Payne has things on the right track. This is not the worst RPI non-conference schedule in 10 years. That couldn't be further from the truth. Colorado is currently ranked 31st in the country in RPI. JR hasn't really had a chance to coach Colorado with her signature style, utilizing smart, gritty, tenacious players in a rotation where players have to demonstrate the leadership necessary to set aside individual accomplishments, and put the team goals first. This is basically the first season of seeing how JR Payne runs a program. JR came into CU and inherited a very unfortunate situation that had gone beyond negative, and should have transparently warranted an investigation into the emotional abuse players were being subjected to. I talked to a previous Pac-12 assistant awhile back and they shared stories of how abusive things had become in Colorado at practices prior to JR taking over. JR had to re-recruit Buffs who already had a foot halfway out the door just to try to salvage some continuity when she arrived. I think the real JR Payne era begins with this season. She inherited players that she found as difficult to coach as any she'd had at previous stops in her Head Coaching career, and at times some were borderline insubordinate and uncoachable. It is a very difficult task to coach players that you did not recruit. Programs in transition take time to rebuild. Firing a coach is never usually an instant fix. That's not uncommon when coaching young people, ask Ceal to tell you her story of how Fagan almost quit playing for CU once. Young basketball players are tough, passionate, and emotional, but also fragile, and vulnerable. Not all basketball players buy in. Special things happen for a team when they set aside their individual goals. I think JR Payne is the best Xs and Os coach CU has had in a decade. The recruiting is problematic at best.

Pac-12 teams recruit elite top-talent, four/five star players. Top-100 ranked players many of whom will get drafted in the WNBA someday, and most will have a chance to play Pro. CU just had the best recruiting class we've had in recent memory, and it is still irrelevant compared to what our Pac-12 rivals bring in. This piece mentions incoming impact freshman in the Pac-12:

Not a single CU player is mentioned. Sadly, multiple homegrown players from Colorado now playing in the Pac-12 are listed. Next year you could almost have an All Pac-12 team of just Colorado homegrown players, that wanted to stay in conference, but didn't consider Colorado. Colorado has to recruit elite players that can compete in this conference. Arguably, both CSU and Northern Colorado brought in freshman players better than some players on the CU roster. Kadie Deaton for the Bears looks to be an incredible player. Katia Stametelopoulous looks to be a spectacular young player for the Rams as well. We play in the toughest women's basketball league not named the WNBA. When regional rivals with only mid-major recruiting reach are recruiting and signing players that are better than some of the players we recruit that's problematic at best. I think most of us are onboard the JR era, as far as the coaching goes (culture of the program, Xs and Os, etc.). It is just the same broken record for most of the past decade, we just need better players to actually compete in conference.
Look at the strength of schedule and then compare to the last 10 years. The team scheduled multiple NCAA tournament teams over the last 3-4 non conference schedules- Kentucky, North Carolina, Mississippi, Miami etc. This year No one

Bmixer

Don't care about their RPI right now. How many of these teams the CU has played will be in the WNIT or in the NCAA. CSU might but they are still not that good. I get that CU was a dumpster fire and it takes awhile but the mens team was a dumpster fire with no tradition and Tad Boyle has done pretty good. For me the team has to show a decent step of improvement this year and that means being competitive against lower and mid level pac 12 teams. I do not expect them to beat Oregon and Stanford, but Arizona, Washington, Washington St games that CU wins a couple of. Danny Sanchez gets players to be competitive in the best soccer league in the U.S. The Lacrosse coach is a perennial to 25 team now with having to go to the east coast for most payers. I am tired of all the excuses for the Wbb team. IMO Its time for J.R. to put up or CU needs to move on.

Okay the elephant in the room is that CU received a vote in the AP-25 poll. As Buffs fans how do the rest of you feel about that?

The Buffs Non-conference schedule is not usually indicative of how the program is going to do. The Pac-12 conference for women's basketball is just frightening with just so many teams there are some of the top teams in the country. A full 20% of the AP Top-25 is Pac-12 teams. I went back and looked at non-conference under Lappe and JR. She was coming from the RMAC in Division Two. Looking back, losing to an RMAC team in exhibition the first game she coached for us, an opponent that she should have had an excellent scout on, to start off her CU career may have been a portent of things to come that we didn't recognize at the time. She went 9-5, 12-0, 12-0, 11-1, 8-4, 6-6. Lappe lost to Long Beach State in both '14-'15 and '15-'16 in non-conference. Jody Wynn, now the coach at Washington, was coaching for Long Beach State then, so another portent of things to change in the Pac-12, looking back. If you find that stuff interesting. JR Payne in con-conference has gone 10-1, 10-2, and 11-1 with losses to Wyoming, North Carolina, Dartmouth, and Miami. Somebody check my numbers because I was counting on my fingers. I think that makes the count 89-20 under Lappe and JR Payne in non-conference and just 51-108 in conference. The Buffs 6-0 record thus far is certainly nice, but it doesn't necessarily mean the Buffs have made progress under JR Payne. Keeping in mind we are currently only 12-42 in conference play under JR, a coach that has gone 37-4 in con-conference play. I think anyone who actually gets a vote in the AP-25 might do a little homework, and know a little something about what they are voting on. The voter that cast the lone vote for Colorado is named Chad Conine:

A quick search on the googler revealed Chad is the same AP voter that did NOT vote for Oregon at #1 after they beat Team USA. Then I found a piece he wrote talking about the transition in Texas prep football where the AP will no long compile a top-25:

This is a quote that stood out, "Most sportswriters in Texas devote their attention to a particular region, if not just one city. When I was voting in the AP poll about 10 years ago, I knew a lot about Central Texas and a little about the rest of the state. I did the best I could to vote well, but I didn’t have a sophisticated process or set of guidelines for how I voted."

Chad Conine probably knows a lot about Baylor women's basketball. Clearly, he doesn't know much about teams outside his Big-12 bubble, and his vote for Colorado clearly reflects that he put in almost zero effort into properly researching women's basketball or these teams before submitting his votes. Colorado went 2-16 in conference play last season after going 11-1 in non-conference. But a 6-0 non-conference start, per Chad, is good enough for an AP top-25 vote. Here is hoping that Chad is actually smarter than the rest of us, and that Colorado is back on track on deserving of AP and Coach's poll Top-25 votes this year. Wouldn't that be nice?

Last edited:

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I know it's hard for us to generate enthusiasm since we've seen this act before (great OOC record against suspect competition only to see the team get overwhelmed in conference play).

That said, it doesn't have to go that way. There is value in building confidence and a winning culture. That does often carry over to winning against competition that may have a talent advantage to get wins we're not currently expecting.

I think we should find a way to less negativity and the hope that the program is building momentum and chemistry right now. Heck, an undefeated OOC followed by 6-12 in the Pac-12 may be enough to make the Dance -- and that would be allsome for the program right now.

HappyBuff

As I corrected, worst SOS (strength of schedule) in a decade.
Sounds like you know something the rest of us don’t
“She inherited players that she found as difficult to coach as any she'd had at previous stops in her Head Coaching career, and at times some were borderline insubordinate and uncoachable”

what can you share?

Last edited:

Bmixer

watched the Tenn v CSU game and Tenn is ranked in the 20s and they destroyed CSU by 40. Further confirmation for me that CU is not a top 30 team and while they have a good record and are playing all right, they have a long way to go.

I think its telling that CU hasn't wanted to play Denver University in recent seasons while we were tanking and didn't want to play Northern Colorado this year. That's disappointing. Both programs are trending upwards. It's disconcerting when as the flagship university in this state we start avoiding in-state schools with only a regional recruiting draw. CU is trending upwards as well, but it feels like two steps forward, one step back at times. Losing Janea Bunn, then losing great recruiting "get" in Cameron Swartz to the transfer portal were signifiant losses to this program, and we will regret Swartz entering the transfer portal for the next three years I suspect. There was something going on here to make Cameron realize she didn't want to play here, or didn't want to play alongside someone, or something. I just never bought the story that she was East Coast homesick. If you know anything about kids that come out of the SouthEast you know that going up to New England is about as foreign and difficult a transition as a young kid can make. If she had transferred to Duke, Miami, Louisville, Notre Dame, Mississippi State I'd believe the "homesick" narrative, but not going to BC. I've never heard anyone share the whole story, and when I asked JR about it she attests that Cameron never spoke to her at all about being unhappy and then just was gone. Someone asked me the other day what is the one thing CU could show to demonstrate that they were moving in the right direction and that a change didn't need to be made. The funny thing was the first thing that popped into my head was Cameron Swartz's entering the transfer portal. When a coaching staff has a backcourt that will finish their CU career going merely 14-58 in-conference, and you let a great young recruit like that walk away (for whatever reason) without ever giving her a chance to compete, that isn't good. She only played here a handful of minutes, but you could see the talent plain as day as soon as she stepped on the court. It was clear she was just going to be a great player. I'm excited about this Buffs season, but this season would be just be so much more exciting if she was still around. I'd like to see some continuity in the program with players not transferring out left and right, or being encouraged to leave. The roster turnover has just been discordant for this program. We have a good young roster now, and I'd just like to see those players develop and grow with the program and take their degrees from CU. We may not be able to get the best recruits, but I'd like us do a better job of holding on to the players we do recruit.