What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

Would you call Arizona a blue blood? Maybe, a fringe blue blood imo. They have won a lot, over the years. I still wouldn't put them up there with Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, etc..

Yeah. Everything from finding a way to help a player’s family to travel to games to funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars to them. I’d be shocked if any program is 100% clean.

To Creebuzz's point, there's degrees. I'm still not on board that everyone is cheating, including Tad. There's always been helping player's families get to games stuff going on. But paying players is quite a different line.

We used to call it carpooling. Those families with the vehicle usually drove and bought the gas. Some of those flights got kind of hairy though...

Would you call Arizona a blue blood? Maybe, a fringe blue blood imo. They have won a lot, over the years. I still wouldn't put them up there with Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, etc..

Arizona is a wannabe blue blood, they aren't one.

Thus being willing to allow and support Miller in doing anything he wants in trying to buy their way into that club.

When even the schools that are considered to be the blue bloods are spending money in this way it is very hard to imagine competing with them without doing at least as much.

For my money (yes used those words on purpose) the blue bloods are

Duke,
Kentucky,
North Carolina
Kansas

Close to blue blood, either were in the past and could get back easily or are climbing into it

Indiana
UCLA
UConn
Louisville
Michigan State
Villanova

Next tier either wannabes or have some of the qualifications

Arizona
Virginia
Georgetown
Syracuse

Thus being willing to allow and support Miller in doing anything he wants in trying to buy their way into that club.

When even the schools that are considered to be the blue bloods are spending money in this way it is very hard to imagine competing with them without doing at least as much.

Duke,
Kentucky,
North Carolina
Kansas

Close to blue blood, either were in the past and could get back easily or are climbing into it

Indiana
UCLA
UConn
Louisville
Michigan State
Villanova

Arizona
Virginia
Georgetown
Syracuse
I'd agree, hard to argue your list. The top group definitely has consistency on it's side. Idk that I'd put Virginia where they are, at least, not lately. That losing to a 16 will probably always follow their ass, though.

We can debate blue blood all day, but it's clear to me that Arizona has been able to attract some of the best talent, and that has been much more noticeable since Miller took over. It's a destination in the last decade or so. Before that, Lute was doing it the hard way more so than the way it seems done today.

So maybe UofA isn't a blue blood, but they are one of the top $$ programs in the land. UCLA? Not so much. Empty arenas, same PAC12 revenue share the rest of us are getting... meh.

Does it matter to these kids about Blue Blood lineage, or are we simply talking cash here? KU has zealots pouring cash into that program. Is it ok for them to have that cash advantage (i.e. pay the players)? **** that. It's Yankees free agency in baseball all over again. T

We can debate blue blood all day, but it's clear to me that Arizona has been able to attract some of the best talent, and that has been much more noticeable since Miller took over. It's a destination in the last decade or so. Before that, Lute was doing it the hard way more so than the way it seems done today.

So maybe UofA isn't a blue blood, but they are one of the top $$ programs in the land. UCLA? Not so much. Empty arenas, same PAC12 revenue share the rest of us are getting... meh.

Does it matter to these kids about Blue Blood lineage, or are we simply talking cash here? KU has zealots pouring cash into that program. Is it ok for them to have that cash advantage (i.e. pay the players)? **** that. It's Yankees free agency in baseball all over again. T
Lute played the game just as Miller does.

Miller’s not dirty by peer standards. He’s in line with industry standards. He just got caught up in an assistant going outside standard, safe, protocols. When I see Miller making national headlines in this scandal when certain other coaches/programs haven’t even been mentioned, it makes me cringe. (fwiw, the biggest loophole is boosters or religious schools being able to funnel money to whomever through church donations & disbursements.)

Lute played the game just as Miller does.

Miller’s not dirty by peer standards. He’s in line with industry standards. He just got caught up in an assistant going outside standard, safe, protocols. When I see Miller making national headlines in this scandal when certain other coaches/programs haven’t even been mentioned, it makes me cringe. (fwiw, the biggest loophole is boosters or religious schools being able to funnel money to whomever through church donations & disbursements.)
We debated this before but I'd prefer to see the evidence. We know Miller is dirty. He got caught and I hope he's punished.

The above loophole sounds like money laundering and tax fraud. Are they writing 1099s? How does a religious school benefit?

We debated this before but I'd prefer to see the evidence. We know Miller is dirty. He got caught and I hope he's punished.

The above loophole sounds like money laundering and tax fraud. Are they writing 1099s? How does a religious school benefit?
Baylor, for example, is the flagship for a big chunk of baptists with the associated churches. Either from a booster or by directive, local church provides charitable economic assistance to a family or agent (who may be an ordained pastor). For boosters, it’s tax deductible. For receivers, it’s tax free. All above board. Doesn’t have to be a religious school to use this, it just makes it easier. As an example, this is sort of how Auburn got Cam Newton - couple hundred grand donated to dad so he could start a church I don’t believe he ever ended up doing.

Duke,
Kentucky,
North Carolina
Kansas

Indiana
UCLA
UConn
Louisville
Michigan State
Villanova

Arizona
Virginia
Georgetown
Syracuse

Fucla is a blue blood, whether we like it or not.

They were in the past, I don't think they are now.

They are however the right coach and one wealthy donor who wants to buy some wins away from being right back into it. I put Indiana in the same spot for the same reason.
Hear ya, tough to ignore the history, though. I don't think I'd consider them a blue blood, atm, they could be, getting the right people in place.

They were in the past, I don't think they are now.

They are however the right coach and one wealthy donor who wants to buy some wins away from being right back into it. I put Indiana in the same spot for the same reason.

One aspect of a blue blood is how quickly things can turn around. I hope we don't experience that any time soon.

I'd call them green bloods. UCLA is not making money in MBB. They also aren't spending enough... On church related activities.

Seems like the statement has enough ambiguity as to give Miller plausible deniability.

Back