What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What are the Top 5 HC jobs from G5 schools?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I think that this mostly comes down to where a HC is most likely to be able to have a ton of success that leads to a major P5 job. We've seen certain programs prove it -- they have the infrastructure and recruiting footprint to win big.

For me:

1. UCF (much bigger school than most P5 members, elite recruiting grounds and all sorts of new facilities plus they pay well and have shown they can win major bowls against P5)
2. Houston (basically Texas's version of UCF)
3. Memphis (every Memphis HC going back a good number of years has parlayed the job into major P5 opportunities)
4. Boise State (the most successful G5 program in the country for the past 2 decades with every HC since they went D1 getting a P5 HC job)
5. Cincinnati (Ohio recruiting grounds with a program that just missed out -- pretty much on the same level as Louisville and others that have gotten the invite to move up)

Honorable mention to USF, SMU, BYU and Temple which all can make very strong cases for being in that Top 5.

Last edited:
App State, for sure.

I'd also keep an eye on Georgia State and Old Dominion as long-term plays. They're very late to the party but have everything you could want to become a great G5 program.

Yes, those are good one too. Richmond and Atlanta are fertile recruiting grounds.

I think that this mostly comes down to where a HC is most likely to be able to have a ton of success that leads to a major P5 job. We've seen certain programs prove it -- they have the infrastructure and recruiting footprint to win big.

For me:

1. UCF (much bigger school than most P5 members, elite recruiting grounds and all sorts of new facilities plus they pay well and have shown they can win major bowls against P5)
2. Houston (basically Texas's version of UCF)
3. Memphis (every Memphis HC going back a good number of years has parlayed the job into major P5 opportunities)
4. Boise State (the most successful G5 program in the country for the past 2 decades with every HC since they went D1 getting a P5 HC job)
5. Cincinnati (Ohio recruiting grounds with a program that just missed out -- pretty much on the same level as Louisville and others that have gotten the invite to move up)

Honorable mention to USF, SMU, BYU and Temple which all can make very strong cases for being in that Top 5.
App State. QOL in Boone is superb. Great fans, good facilities (and improving), winning history, good recruiting area for that level of player, supportive admin, winnable conference.

App State, for sure.

I'd also keep an eye on Georgia State and Old Dominion as long-term plays. They're very late to the party but have everything you could want to become a great G5 program.
Yes, absolutely on GaState.

Main reason why I think BYU has slipped is their over-scheduling as a football independent. You can be a good team there and it won't matter because the schedule is killer.

@ Utah
Michigan State
@Arizona State
@ Minnesota
Utah State
Missouri
Houston
@ NIU
@ Boise State
San Diego State
@ Stanford

Arizona (Las Vegas)
Utah
Arizona State
USF
@ Utah State
Boise State
@ Baylor
@ Washington State
Virginia
Idaho State
@ Georgia Southern
@ USC

Last edited:
Main reason why I think BYU has slipped is their over-scheduling as a football independent. You can be a good team there and it won't matter because the schedule is killer.
definitely. They still have a really good recruiting base though.

I didn't even consider BYU since they are considered a P5 school by a couple conferences in terms of scheduling.

Tier 1 recruiting powers: UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, SDSU, Memphis
Tier 2 missing one or two things to be elite: Boise, Temple, CSU, Fresno, Marshall, Cincy
Potential: ECU, NIU, FAU, LaTech, Toledo, Southern Miss, North Texas

I think SDSU is in the discussion.
I think it is as soon as their stadium gets built. SDSU hasn't shown that it's a stepping stone to a P5 job outside of Hoke and his Michigan failure, though.

I didn't even consider BYU since they are considered a P5 school by a couple conferences in terms of scheduling.

Tier 1 recruiting powers: UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, SDSU, Memphis
Tier 2 missing one or two things to be elite: Boise, Temple, CSU, Fresno, Marshall, Cincy
Potential: ECU, NIU, FAU, LaTech, Toledo, Southern Miss, North Texas
No love for App State?

I'm not sold on Georgia State as a rising power. I see their ceiling as very low when i look at the problems Georgia Tech has had competing for fan attention not only with the in-state SEC school, but with the Atlanta-based pro-sports teams. Yes, Georgia is a fertile recruiting ground, but there's two in-state P5 schools as well as surrounding SEC and ACC schools all currently recruiting the state heavily.

Side question: what does Boise do that keeps it at the top (i.e. winning games/conf titles and producing coaches that go on for success... minus of course the one massive outlier)?

As you note, UCF, Houston, Cincy exist in lands of ample talent.

I guess I ask because you can't change your geography. But for those with insight, what specific things feed in to Boise's ongoing success?

Side question: what does Boise do that keeps it at the top (i.e. winning games/conf titles and producing coaches that go on for success... minus of course the one massive outlier)?

I guess I ask because you can't change your geography. But for those with insight, what specific things feed in to Boise's ongoing success?
Boise does a great job recruiting off their recent success, ability to show they can get people into the NFL and they have lower admission requirements that allow them to take some really good athletes that couldn't get into other P5 schools.

They also had a generational coach and did a good job landing a solid replacement after he left.

No really specific info other than a few articles read over the years and some side comments, but it's a combination of:

- a school with even lower academic standards /credentials /reputation than KjSU, ASU or even kNU.

- a school where the board, the president, the profs, GAs, students, alumni, janitors, cafeteria workers, and fans all understand that literally the only national media attention they will ever get is due to the football team, and they are if not competely on board with that, at least understand that's it a good idea if that attention is positive.

- importantly, the reason they've been able to generally keep everyone on board with the plan is because they actually have a plan to raise the entire profile of the school (including academically), and football is a part, but not the only part of that.

- most importantly, they have actually executed that plan by committing funding to things other than football (E.g. they've been regularly increasing the number of graduate programs/degrees they offer), which generally keeps everyone on board with the plan of ensuring that football success continues.

Is also helps that they're the only sports entertainment game in town by literally a few hundred miles.

Boise does a great job recruiting off their recent success, ability to show they can get people into the NFL and they have lower admission requirements that allow them to take some really good athletes that couldn't get into other P5 schools.

They also had a generational coach and did a good job landing a solid replacement after he left.
No really specific info other than a few articles read over the years and some side comments, but it's a combination of:

- a school with even lower academic standards /credentials /reputation than KjSU, ASU or even kNU.

- a school where the board, the president, the profs, GAs, students, alumni, janitors, cafeteria workers, and fans all understand that literally the only national media attention they will ever get is due to the football team, and they are if not competely on board with that, at least understand that's it a good idea if that attention is positive.

- importantly, the reason they've been able to generally keep everyone on board with the plan is because they actually have a plan to raise the entire profile of the school (including academically), and football is a part, but not the only part of that.

- most importantly, they have actually executed that plan by committing funding to things other than football (E.g. they've been regularly increasing the number of graduate programs/degrees they offer), which generally keeps everyone on board with the plan of ensuring that football success continues.

Is also helps that they're the only sports entertainment game in town by literally a few hundred miles.
All great points. I'll add..
-they market themselves we to the networks and do anything to get on TV. Expand field for scissor-lift camera booms, play at crazy times, play on Thursdays, Tuesdays, Sundays, whatever.
-travel anywhere to get games with national exposure
-created a unique and recognizable branding centered on the blue field

Back