What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

When will the CEC require vaccines for attendance?

GoBuffs!!

Club Member
Club Member
Curious of people's thoughts on this. A few observables that I have on this:

• I am surprised at the number of people that wont go to a game until there is a vax mandate
  • If all students have to be vaxed, I cannot imagine there would be much of a hit on attendance
  • Given that Kansas has ~10% lower vax rate than Colorado, would this help keep Jayhawks out of CEC?
  • Mask mandate has been hit or miss at best

Curious of people's thoughts on this. A few observables that I have on this:

• I am surprised at the number of people that wont go to a game until there is a vax mandate
  • If all students have to be vaxed, I cannot imagine there would be much of a hit on attendance
  • Given that Kansas has ~10% lower vax rate than Colorado, would this help keep Jayhawks out of CEC?
  • Mask mandate has been hit or miss at best
Pretty sure there are mandates that have or are about to drop for anything over 500 people indoors will require the vax or proof of negative test within 72 hours. Boulder, Jefferson, Broomfield, Denver and a couple other counties

Saw a dude prefer his freedumb over watching the game during the new mexico game. he got thrown out.

But, umm, next home game will require vaccines looks like.

That article doesn't mention it, but I thought it was only for "unseated" events. Given that for CEC, everyone has a "seat", I was hearing it wouldn't apply. But if that is the case, I am hopeful.

Would like to see something from CU.

That article doesn't mention it, but I thought it was only for "unseated" events. Given that for CEC, everyone has a "seat", I was hearing it wouldn't apply. But if that is the case, I am hopeful.

Would like to see something from CU.
The unseated verbiage doesn't make sense to me. They reference Ball Arena as an example. If it's truly "unseated" than what would this mandate possible apply to?

The unseated verbiage doesn't make sense to me. They reference Ball Arena as an example. If it's truly "unseated" than what would this mandate possible apply to?
I think it's unseated indoor events of 500+ start the vaccine requirement on Friday. All indoor events of 500+ start the vaccine requirement on Dec 1. So, the CEC requirement will start with the Tennessee game on Dec 4.

@14er linked it yesterday in another thread -- an "unseated event" is defined in the PHO as one where <100% of attendees have a seat.

re: Ball Arena, I think basketball games would be excluded, but concerts with an open floor would not.

it's mostly concerts where the crowd is likely to form chest-to-back dense groups for hours. e.g. Boulder Theater, Fox Theatre, Ogden, Bluebird

I think it's unseated indoor events of 500+ start the vaccine requirement on Friday. All indoor events of 500+ start the vaccine requirement on Dec 1. So, the CEC requirement will start with the Tennessee game on Dec 4.

I love the clarity :LOL: and I agree, WTF is an unseated event (a club?)

re: Ball Arena, I think basketball games would be excluded, but concerts with an open floor would not.
went to a Nugs game last week. Vaccination or negative test is required.

Anyone know how this works for kids? Because after the UNM game I was hesitant to take the kids back to games until they can get vaccinated due to the lack of mask wearing but if there’s proof required I’ll probably bring them back again. Just don’t know if they need test results for kids or not. I assume so but…

a few notes:
  • I think the CEC will likely start requiring vax soon. Argus already has processes in place at other venues, so the lag time between someone at CU making the decision and it actually starting should be really small.
  • I'm not convinced a vax mandate moves the needle on attendance. I just don't believe there aren't that many CU hoops fans unwilling to attend before that
  • if anyone is really hesitant to attend a CU game in advance of a vax mandate, I'd recommend an N-95 mask as an alternative.
    • I feel I've done sufficient research to conclude that indoor events like this are safe with an N-95. FFS, if medical teams wearing N-95's can safely work on Covid patients, it's incredible to believe that we can't watch a hoops game safely with the same precautions.
    • While not fun to wear, after my first event wearing an N-95, it was NBD. I'm now wearing them for any flights or indoor mass gatherings
  • CU hasn't sold out a home game in 6.5 years (Arizona 2015). Except for the KU game, or some kind of amazing season taking place (which I'm wide open to), socially distancing during a game at the CU Events Center is not an insurmountable challenge. And every seat in the venue is fine for watching a game (or at least was before the new scoreboard -- not sure if that's now partially obscuring any seats)

For those who have gone to events where Vax is required, how do they verify it?

I have the MyColorado app that has a QR code with your picture, so that seems easy, but I know not everyone has that.

For those who have gone to events where Vax is required, how do they verify it?

I have the MyColorado app that has a QR code with your picture, so that seems easy, but I know not everyone has that.
myColorado app, the paper card or a photo of the paper card on your phone.

at maybe 50% of the checks I've been through, I could've shown them anything and gotten waived in. the other 50% there was some effort to link the name on the vax card to the name on my ID. At exactly one, did the person actually check the ID name matched the card name AND that the ID face matched mine.

So it looks like this is not a thing now?

No checks at the Tenn game, couple ahead of us going in left as they were about to scan their ticket when they realized there was no vax mandate. Sure kind of weird, but still seems odd.

I've been to two games and sat in entirely different sections for each. I estimate about 75% mask compliance through those. Compared to indoor concerts I've attended at three different venues, that's an outstanding achievement. Agree with @FightCu1414 's observation -- CU seems to be doing more to enforce the mask policy than any other venue I've attended in the last four months.

Posted before, but
(1) consider an N-95 mask. If unvaxxed medical teams wearing N95's could safely treat Covid positive patients, a spectator can certainly safely attend a basketball game.
(2) unless something special happens (which I'm very open to), the KU game is going to be the only one at the CU Events Center this year where social distancing will be a challenge.

That being said, everyone's Covid risk assessment is personal -- "you do you".

I completely disagree. My entire section at every game has been full masks. Also I was taking a drink of water and one of the CU workers yelled at me. Slightly annoying but they’ve been enforcing it heavily.

My observations are from watching on television. I will revise that to say the people getting on camera during the game are mostly not wearing a mask or wearing it properly. Maybe 25% of who gets on tv.

At least you have a mandate in Boulder County.

Tonight's Iowa/Iowa State game is a sell out with no masking.

So it looks like this is not a thing now?

No checks at the Tenn game, couple ahead of us going in left as they were about to scan their ticket when they realized there was no vax mandate. Sure kind of weird, but still seems odd.
Been thinking on this several times today.

What kind of person is so Covid risk adverse that they would throw away tickets and leave after getting all the way to the Center.....

but also doesn't bother to do a quick search beforehand on whether there's a vax mandate?!?!?

What kind of person is so Covid risk adverse that they would throw away tickets and leave after getting all the way to the Center.....

but also doesn't bother to do a quick search beforehand on whether there's a vax mandate?!?!?
Trying not to be political but if you are scared of COVID that much then you shouldn't be going to a game.

My observations are from watching on television. I will revise that to say the people getting on camera during the game are mostly not wearing a mask or wearing it properly. Maybe 25% of who gets on tv.

At least you have a mandate in Boulder County.

Tonight's Iowa/Iowa State game is a sell out with no masking.
They were up in the stands in our section Wednesday filming families to be cheering up on the scoreboard during time outs and that sort of thing, and the camera man was requiring people to wear masks or he wouldn’t put them up on the screen

That's great. I don't get to see that on television.

The people sitting in the lower portion of the 3 sections--probably 8, 9 and 10 seem to be hit and miss and the student section is a disaster about mask wearing. That's who I see on television.

A few of the people that would go to games with me wont to go big events without the mandate, one even reached out for the past game as he thought on 1Dec they had a mandate, had to tell him that the Tenn game, they weren't checking, he wouldn't go.... a lot of the reason why I asked.

To your question what kind of person, the answer is someone who doesn't value going to the game as highly as people on this board. Think its just "something to do" on a random Tuesday night.

The quick search would have lead me to believe that they should be 100% vaxed, as listed above.

A few of the people that would go to games with me wont to go big events without the mandate, one even reached out for the past game as he thought on 1Dec they had a mandate, had to tell him that the Tenn game, they weren't checking, he wouldn't go.... a lot of the reason why I asked.

To your question what kind of person, the answer is someone who doesn't value going to the game as highly as people on this board. Think its just "something to do" on a random Tuesday night.

The quick search would have lead me to believe that they should be 100% vaxed, as listed above.
I'm not following your last sentence there. are you saying that a quick search indicates that CU actually has a vax mandate?

I agree those people probably aren't big hoops fans, but I'm still incredulous that someone would be so risk adverse, spend the money on the tickets and invest the time to get to the Events Center, without bothering to find out if there's a mandate first. It could just be that they don't value their time and that the money isn't a big deal to them.

Again, I'm not judging people who evaluate the Covid risks differently than I do.

Edit: actually I do judge, but I keep the verdict to myself.

I'm not following your last sentence there. are you saying that a quick search indicates that CU actually has a vax mandate?

I agree those people probably aren't big hoops fans, but I'm still incredulous that someone would be so risk adverse, spend the money on the tickets and invest the time to get to the Events Center, without bothering to find out if there's a mandate first. It could just be that they don't value their time and that the money isn't a big deal to them.

Again, I'm not judging people who evaluate the Covid risks differently than I do.

Edit: actually I do judge, but I keep the verdict to myself.

CDPHE as quoted above, I am not sure how a CU basketball game doesnt qualify as a public indoor even of over 500 people.

CDPHE as quoted above, I am not sure how a CU basketball game doesnt qualify as a public indoor even of over 500 people.
oh, gotcha. CU hoops games are exempt because they meet the "seated" requirement. I'm assuming that players, coaches, spirit squad, etc... are considered participants and not attendees.

oh, gotcha. CU hoops games are exempt because they meet the "seated" requirement. I'm assuming that players, coaches, spirit squad, etc... are considered participants and not attendees.

That is true as of 19 Nov, but as of 1 Dec, there is no longer a "seated" requirement as I read it.

That is true as of 19 Nov, but as of 1 Dec, there is no longer a "seated" requirement as I read it.
are you reading the 9th amended version dated 14 Nov? I'm not reading anything that suggests the seated requirement went away on 01 DEC

As I understood it, as of December 1st, a negative test was no longer equivalent to having the vaccine. The seated vs unseated difference remains the same.

are you reading the 9th amended version dated 14 Nov? I'm not reading anything that suggests the seated requirement went away on 01 DEC

I just reread the applicable section. Prior to that, my understanding was the same as @MKBuffs . but now I'm seeing where @GoBuffs!! got his interpretation: the statement clearly specifies "all indoor events" and not "all unseated indoor events". the devil is in the detail of how "indoor event" is defined to mean "unseated indoor events".

however, the term "indoor event" is defined to mean that 100% of participants, not just attendees, but participants, must have seats. I'd argue that since the spirit squad doesn't have seats, a CU hoops games doesn't meet the definition of a "seated event". But then, I'm the type to argue those sort of pedantic details.

1639159912393.png

1639159953584.png

PHO link

Last edited:
Back