What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Where I Come From: Expectations for the 2010 Season

If his prediction pans out, and we end up 6-6, I'll freek out if we keep Hawkins. Seriously. I WILL FREEK OUT. This is the worst possible outcome I can imagine - that we have a completely mediocre season and because mediocre is better than Gawd Awful, we keep his worthless ass because it shows we're making "progress".

We have such a young team. These guys will put it together soon. Just wait until we gel. Did I mention these guys are young? :smile2:

This place was burned to the ground when Hawk got here. The cabinet was empty. We had an empty cabinet that was on the ground and burnt, so I'm not sure what we will call it when he leaves.

The thing is, I agree with the author of the article. I think 6-6 is about what we should expect. My problem is what will happen after then.

If his prediction pans out, and we end up 6-6, I'll freek out if we keep Hawkins. Seriously. I WILL FREEK OUT. This is the worst possible outcome I can imagine - that we have a completely mediocre season and because mediocre is better than Gawd Awful, we keep his worthless ass because it shows we're making "progress".

No way Hawk is kept with 6-6 record. The PAC10 moves helps us there. Bohn wants a fresh start. There are enough coaching rumors out there for me to think he is gone almost regardless of season outcome. I think it would take 8-9 wins to even consider retaining him. No way we win anywhere close to that many games as I am confident DH will start his 5' 8" QB son.

No way Hawk is kept with 6-6 record. The PAC10 moves helps us there. Bohn wants a fresh start. There are enough coaching rumors out there for me to think he is gone almost regardless of season outcome. I think it would take 8-9 wins to even consider retaining him. No way we win anywhere close to that many games as I am confident DH will start his 5' 8" QB son.

They kept him with a 3-9 record. Why wouldn't they keep him with a 6-6 record? He will have won twice as many games as the previous year. Plus, he wouldn't be able to start his son at QB after this year, right? The justifications for keeping this guy are just too easy to make. None of them have to do with actual performance, though.

They kept him with a 3-9 record. Why wouldn't they keep him with a 6-6 record? He will have won twice as many games as the previous year. Plus, he wouldn't be able to start his son at QB after this year, right? The justifications for keeping this guy are just too easy to make. None of them have to do with actual performance, though.

Just stay positive on getting rid of him. I am right with you that I will FREAK OUT if he is retained. I don't really even want him retained if he does well. I am just relying on the fact that the booster-type event I go to every year, which has a Q&A session with DH, the guy gets freaking grilled (and Bohn is standing right there to hear it). For the past four years, there is one guy who always asks Hawk "so where is this Boise offense you were supposed to bring with you?" Makes me laugh every time.

On a side note, I hope I never have to hear DH say how much improvement there is by the guys in the weight room. Does he honestly think that Barnett didn't have his kids weight train? Doesn't he know that implies he recruited weak kids in the first place!

You know what, I'll go further. I don't want to hear anything out of Hawk's mouth ever again!

I know that some may disagree with me here but I believe we have the talent to win 8-9 games with good coaching.

That said I know what we have for coaching so I fully expect to lose 8-9 games instead. We will likely win at least one big one, a game where we are at least a touchdown underdog, four years of Hawkins has shown us that this is possible and in fact reasonably likely. That said we will also lose at least two games were we are favorites and will have at least two games where we just don't show up and get blown off the field (Toledo, Missouri, ring any bells.)

I do also see no way that they can keep Hawkins with six or fewer wins, but as Sacky correctly pointed out 3-9 last year after the disaster of the prior year didn't stop them from keeping him.

I do think that it will be easier to fire him this year with the elections over and the buyout much less but at this point nothing would surprise me as long as Benson is in charge.

If he goes 14-0 then we'll see how I feel.

If he goes 14-0 it's because he already got fired and he has a heck of a high school team that he is coaching.

What has anyone seen that shows us that Hawk can consistently win games in a BCS level conference? I don't dislike the guy personally, I think he has cleaned up the reputation of the program to a large extent, he has recruited better than people give him credit for and he's actually a pretty good guy who cares about his family and his players. That said he has had four years here and the direction the program is going under his guidance does not give much hope.

If he goes 14-0 it's because he already got fired and he has a heck of a high school team that he is coaching.

What has anyone seen that shows us that Hawk can consistently win games in a BCS level conference? I don't dislike the guy personally, I think he has cleaned up the reputation of the program to a large extent, he has recruited better than people give him credit for and he's actually a pretty good guy who cares about his family and his players. That said he has had four years here and the direction the program is going under his guidance does not give much hope.

I agree that 14-0 or anything close to that is totally ridiculous. That said, if we're playing the hypothetical game anyway, I just don't get how someone would say that they want him fired if his team went undefeated. All we here is the shut up and win stuff over and over again. If he won, great. Right?

Hawk isn't going to go 14-0. If he did though, and I were AD, I'd give him a one year extension, and tell him when his overall record at CU gets to .500, call me and we'll talk long term extension.

I agree that 14-0 or anything close to that is totally ridiculous. That said, if we're playing the hypothetical game anyway, I just don't get how someone would say that they want him fired if his team went undefeated. All we here is the shut up and win stuff over and over again. If he won, great. Right?

Agreed. Although I have played this out in my head many times and I bet if we went 14-0 Hawk would take the "I told you so" route and tell the fans that he knows what he is doing blah blah blah. He loves throwing fans under the bus. I don't want my coach to do that whether we are winning or not. However, I would likely be more accepting of it if we did win 14 games in one season for obvious reasons.

Agreed. Although I have played this out in my head many times and I bet if we went 14-0 Hawk would take the "I told you so" route and tell the fans that he knows what he is doing blah blah blah. He loves throwing fans under the bus. I don't want my coach to do that whether we are winning or not. However, I would likely be more accepting of it if we did win 14 games in one season for obvious reasons.

Whatever. If he said "i told you so," he'd be right. I don't mind that.

I'd have a hard time firing him if he won 8 or more games, frankly. Winning 6 games should be like falling out of bed, though. Honestly, go 5-1 at home and beat CSU? Any halfway competent coach would be able to pull that off. What we need is somebody who can find at least two more wins on this schedule. 8-4, and I'm satisfied. I also happen to think that 8-4 is a pipe dream. No way in Hell does Hawkins carve 8 wins out of this season. But, on the off chance he does, he deserves to stick around.

I agree with sacky that 6-6 is an absolute nightmare scenario. Not that I don't want to win 6 games, but winning 6 is what I believe to be the absolute minimum for possibly keeping Hawk around. 5 or less and it's yet another losing season where we don't go bowling, so he's gone. But 6 wins is just enough to spark talk of him turning it around, or finally getting some things right. We also would have doubled our win total from the year before and that always sounds nice.

Here's the nightmare scenario: CU is 5-6 heading into Stincoln. We know that Hawk sticks around if he wins the game.

Here's the nightmare scenario: CU is 5-6 heading into Stincoln. We know that Hawk sticks around if he wins the game.

The fuskers could get the ultimate in paybacks, we helped them get rid of Callahan and Solich, to pay us back they play a terrible game and stick us with Hawk for another year.:cry:

Back