What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Worst Coaches of All-Time...

GuySmiley

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid
Yesterday, I had this article pop up. https://www.trend-chaser.com/sports...e-worst-college-football-coaches-of-all-time/

This list opens with Hawklove and next on the list is John Embree. Hawklove's listing was well earned. Anyone, remember the walk-on kicker that won the West Virginia game on a 30 yard fg, was given a scholarship then showed up the next week in gold shoes?? Somehow he could not put the ball through the uprights for the rest of his career. He did beat Oklahoma once, but he burned the program down to its ashes, even taking away the traditions of the program. He left the program in a complete mess with few division I players, burned recruiting bridges, burned coaching bridges (by the end he had to round the assistant coaches out with his old UC-Davis mentor, as no coaches would come here), and then the debacle in Kansas. I am not even sure that Hawkins ever had a recruiting strategy, other than "awe shucks...it's division I football..." Any good recruits left the program within 2 years of the boobs coaching. For the other highly rated recruits one 5* showed up out-of-shape and many others logged more time in the Boulder County Jail than on the field. I cannot think of a recruit that really developed over his tenure into an NFL star. Last years Oregon State was a bad loss, but the Kansas loss was a disaster. Same with losing to Montana State.

I think Embree gets a bad rap being placed on these lists. No question he only won 4 games, but one of them was at Utah, a good Pac-12 win; others were close--losing to Sac State at home was poor. This was an interesting hire to say the least, but he inherited a total mess. Bohn should have known what he was getting experience wise. Only given 2 years (1 1/2 recruiting cycles) is not enough time to be placed on this list. He was forced to play younger players, and even held some back. PRich showed enough during his tenure to be drafted in the 2nd round. Then his 2nd recruiting class was #39 overall. When you go to CU breakthrough season look at how many guys that he recruited who stayed: Crawley, Powell, Kafovalu, Sean Irwin, Solis, Topou, McCartney and Krough-- the #39 class that season. It could be argued Marquis Mosely and Yuri Wright could have been contributors if they were red-shirted, and did not get severely dinged up playing as True Freshman. At least left MAC II a fighting chance with a some talent on the roster. Obviously, Embree is a good man and decent coach, he has a great NFL coaching resume. Even his inexperienced OC, EB is now an NFL head coaching candidate.

Then there is the last one. I cannot understand why Slick Rick Neuheisal is never listed on these lists. They put Willingham on the list, but at least he had a great coaching stint at Stanford. Perhaps it is because Rick is a media darling. At CU, he inherited arguably one of the best teams in the nation and had one good season. Then it all began unraveling ending with a losing season, and forfeit of games for using an ineligible player. Gary Barnett came in and had the team turned around in 2 years. Then he goes onto Washington where he inherits Marcus Tuiasosopo for a season and does well, but he then burns the most storied program to its ashes, leaving a serious crime blotter, forcing the school to fight sanctions, and then a wrongful termination lawsuit. His final unsuccessful stint was at UCLA, where he had only one winning season. His teams got waxed 59-0 v. BYU, and 31-10 at home against an unranked Arizona powerhouse! How can't this guy be on the list??

This seems to be a good story from his great UW tenure, perhaps he should have been charged under RICO for running a criminal organization!! The disturbing story behind the last great UW team — and how its legacy still casts a shadow on the Huskies. Seattle Times, January 27, 2008. Quote:At least a dozen members of the Rose Bowl team were arrested that year or charged with a crime that carried possible jail time. At least a dozen others on that team got in trouble with the law in other seasons.

Tl;dr
Hawkins belongs on the list.
Embree might belong
Neweasel sucks donkey balls.

I agree. Except Neuheisel could recruit. The ‘96 team was national champion talent and should have executed it.

/thread.

Chev can recruit too. Neuheisel was incapable as anything above that role and position coach, as was Chev. Chev wasn't ready. Rick was never going to lead men.

Yesterday, I had this article pop up. https://www.trend-chaser.com/sports...e-worst-college-football-coaches-of-all-time/

This list opens with Hawklove and next on the list is John Embree. Hawklove's listing was well earned. Anyone, remember the walk-on kicker that won the West Virginia game on a 30 yard fg, was given a scholarship then showed up the next week in gold shoes?? Somehow he could not put the ball through the uprights for the rest of his career. He did beat Oklahoma once, but he burned the program down to its ashes, even taking away the traditions of the program. He left the program in a complete mess with few division I players, burned recruiting bridges, burned coaching bridges (by the end he had to round the assistant coaches out with his old UC-Davis mentor, as no coaches would come here), and then the debacle in Kansas. I am not even sure that Hawkins ever had a recruiting strategy, other than "awe shucks...it's division I football..." Any good recruits left the program within 2 years of the boobs coaching. For the other highly rated recruits one 5* showed up out-of-shape and many others logged more time in the Boulder County Jail than on the field. I cannot think of a recruit that really developed over his tenure into an NFL star. Last years Oregon State was a bad loss, but the Kansas loss was a disaster. Same with losing to Montana State.

I think Embree gets a bad rap being placed on these lists. No question he only won 4 games, but one of them was at Utah, a good Pac-12 win; others were close--losing to Sac State at home was poor. This was an interesting hire to say the least, but he inherited a total mess. Bohn should have known what he was getting experience wise. Only given 2 years (1 1/2 recruiting cycles) is not enough time to be placed on this list. He was forced to play younger players, and even held some back. PRich showed enough during his tenure to be drafted in the 2nd round. Then his 2nd recruiting class was #39 overall. When you go to CU breakthrough season look at how many guys that he recruited who stayed: Crawley, Powell, Kafovalu, Sean Irwin, Solis, Topou, McCartney and Krough-- the #39 class that season. It could be argued Marquis Mosely and Yuri Wright could have been contributors if they were red-shirted, and did not get severely dinged up playing as True Freshman. At least left MAC II a fighting chance with a some talent on the roster. Obviously, Embree is a good man and decent coach, he has a great NFL coaching resume. Even his inexperienced OC, EB is now an NFL head coaching candidate.

Then there is the last one. I cannot understand why Slick Rick Neuheisal is never listed on these lists. They put Willingham on the list, but at least he had a great coaching stint at Stanford. Perhaps it is because Rick is a media darling. At CU, he inherited arguably one of the best teams in the nation and had one good season. Then it all began unraveling ending with a losing season, and forfeit of games for using an ineligible player. Gary Barnett came in and had the team turned around in 2 years. Then he goes onto Washington where he inherits Marcus Tuiasosopo for a season and does well, but he then burns the most storied program to its ashes, leaving a serious crime blotter, forcing the school to fight sanctions, and then a wrongful termination lawsuit. His final unsuccessful stint was at UCLA, where he had only one winning season. His teams got waxed 59-0 v. BYU, and 31-10 at home against an unranked Arizona powerhouse! How can't this guy be on the list??
Aric Goodman. Had a couple classes with him, total douchebag. Couldn't stand him on or off the field.

Transferred from Wyoming. Red flag right there.

Hawkins was hired because of his success at Boise, unfortunately he came here without the assistants who were doing the work at Boise.

Despite his ugly parting from the job (and being put in a position in front of the press that he never should have been in) JE was/is a great Buff. He was though a terrible coach. He divided and lost the team from the start. He destroyed any hope of having solid recruiting relationships by his arrogance. As he lost more control of the team he responded with more profanity and screaming. He was a HC who not only had no coordinator experience but his coordinators didn't have any either.

Slick Rick was a fraud. He could recruit DBs and WRs. Every team he was ever coach of ended up with terrible talent on the interior lines. He took over a CU program that was a perennial top 10 program and left it barely hanging on to the top 25.

I wish they would stop with these worst coaches articles.

Funny you wrote that. I looked for one, but could not find one. I saw a best of from like 2 years ago, and Tom Jurich, Louisville was like #2. I guess that was before they found out 90% of the shoe money went to Petino.

Aric Goodman. Had a couple classes with him, total douchebag. Couldn't stand him on or off the field.

Transferred from Wyoming. Red flag right there.

I think I was at the next home game when he trotted out in those shoes... I could just tell it was a bad omen.

Sorry, but Embree was ****in' awful and threw CU under the bus when he was fired for complete incompetence.

Sorry, but Embree was ****in' awful and threw CU under the bus when he was fired for complete incompetence.

As I stated that was ugly. It was stupid for them to put him there in the first place but he managed to make a bad situation terrible. Considering how he handled it I would think any reasonably aware AD would hesitate before ever giving him a second chance to be a HC at the college level.

I have moved on from it though and wish JE the best. He is a good man who went completely off the rails at a bad time.

I'd agree that Embo was probably not ready, but the team was just so lacking in overall talent. He was not completely incompetent, that was Hawklove the season he was fired. Really, the Buffs had nobody on either line; he inherited ashes. During his 1st season they were competitive with Hansen, PRich and Spruce. As I recall, the offense made some headway. The 2nd season was a debacle. They were not competitive in the Pac12, since the talent was so bad. It was boys playing men. The thing with Embo is they beat Utah and Wash State on the road, which is something they have not done since. I'm not sure how many Pac12 road games MacII won, I'm thinking only 4-5??

Embo had some minor parting shots and felt he deserved more time, but did not outright throw CU under the bus. I think he was right in standing up to Bohn, because it was really an unfair situation-- to have him assemble a staff, which was summarily thrown to the wolves--something probably had to be said. Talent wise CU needed such an overhaul. I'm not sure he "lost the team," those Hawklove recruits we last already by the previous regime.

I'd agree that Embo was probably not ready, but the team was just so lacking in overall talent. He was not completely incompetent, that was Hawklove the season he was fired. Really, the Buffs had nobody on either line; he inherited ashes. During his 1st season they were competitive with Hansen, PRich and Spruce. As I recall, the offense made some headway. The 2nd season was a debacle. They were not competitive in the Pac12, since the talent was so bad. It was boys playing men. The thing with Embo is they beat Utah and Wash State on the road, which is something they have not done since. I'm not sure how many Pac12 road games MacII won, I'm thinking only 4-5??

Embo had some minor parting shots and felt he deserved more time, but did not outright throw CU under the bus. I think he was right in standing up to Bohn, because it was really an unfair situation-- to have him assemble a staff, which was summarily thrown to the wolves--something probably had to be said. Talent wise CU needed such an overhaul. I'm not sure he "lost the team," those Hawklove recruits we last already by the previous regime.

He did throw CU under the bus by trying to make it a racial thing.

You are right that the talent wasn't there but he had the team divided between "his" guys and those who were not "his" guys. He also lost complete control over himself and the team in games and in preparing for games. There were some times when guys missed going back out onto the field because he was still cussing them out for something they had done the prior possession, meanwhile he had no clue what was happening on the field.

I don't know who would have done a good job in that situation buy JE did a terrible job.

As I stated that was ugly. It was stupid for them to put him there in the first place but he managed to make a bad situation terrible. Considering how he handled it I would think any reasonably aware AD would hesitate before ever giving him a second chance to be a HC at the college level.

I have moved on from it though and wish JE the best. He is a good man who went completely off the rails at a bad time.

Yeah. I have no personal issues with Embree. Certainly wasn’t pretty at the time but I believe he genuinely cares about the program and it’s never easy when feelings get in the way.

HaLkins OTOH .....

I need more detail.

Embree was incompetent. There’s a reason he never made it beyond TE coach before he got the job at CU and there’s a reason he hasn’t gone beyond that since he left.

DII Danny, and it isn't even close. Daddy ball caused the Kansas meltdown. ..shameful.

Yeah. I have no personal issues with Embree. Certainly wasn’t pretty at the time but I believe he genuinely cares about the program and it’s never easy when feelings get in the way.

HaLkins OTOH .....
Embree's time as HC here played out like a Greek tragedy. Fatal flaw of caring too much while coming in too angry at what had been done to his beloved program. He was way too emotional and impatient. Way too loyal to certain factions while being unwilling to acknowledge that any changes or ideas that diverged from the HCBM & HCGB family or m.o.'s were automatically bad and needed to be scrapped.

Unfortunately, he got bogged down in all that crap instead of being able to focus on the things he was absolutely right about: 1) recruiting is king, 2) an identity on style of play is essential, and 3) a culture that demands a standard of winning is foundational. I actually liked a good part of what Embree was all about, particularly the assistants he brought in for position coaches.

He did throw CU under the bus by trying to make it a racial thing.

You are right that the talent wasn't there but he had the team divided between "his" guys and those who were not "his" guys. He also lost complete control over himself and the team in games and in preparing for games. There were some times when guys missed going back out onto the field because he was still cussing them out for something they had done the prior possession, meanwhile he had no clue what was happening on the field.

I don't know who would have done a good job in that situation buy JE did a terrible job.

I sort of agree with the "his guys" and "not his guys" divide. In terms of player buy-in, actually, I saw a pretty stark divide in the team during the last two seasons under Hawkins, a bunch of players had sort of set sail-- do the minimum, remain on the roster, and just get a degree. Hawk never really had the discipline/buy-in over the full team. Certainly, Embo took a young, loud, tough ass, abruptly turn things around approach which was not well received. As I recall part of it was Bohn's doing, they had to pay off Hawkins, were perhaps still paying off Barnett and had to pay the PAC12/BIG12 transfer fees. Embo and his staff were not highly compensated, compared to their peers--thus very young and inexperienced.

For what it is worth, the situation probably required a big name coach, who could bring in an experienced staff, thus huge money The big name was really necessary for all the patience. When I look at the # of players that stayed from Embo's 2nd recruiting class, he did not throw the school under the bus. As I recall, it was an Embo defender that raised the racial thing-- the better way to pose that question was "isn't it unreasonable to hire a young inexperienced coach and give him less than 2 full seasons?" Before the breakout season, MACII was sort of in the same position-- instead of firing him, RG required him to bring in Leavitt for the defense, and the same thing was done for the offense as well.

The revisionist history with regards to Embree is incredible. He was a truly horrible head football coach. He set CU football back 10 years. We had to hire a turnaround specialist who took four years to dig out of the dumpster fire Embree created. Embree took the damage done by Hawkins and said “hold my beer”. It’s totally OK to respect Embree as a great Buff, but let’s be honest, he sucked at coaching.

I sort of agree with the "his guys" and "not his guys" divide. In terms of player buy-in, actually, I saw a pretty stark divide in the team during the last two seasons under Hawkins, a bunch of players had sort of set sail-- do the minimum, remain on the roster, and just get a degree. Hawk never really had the discipline/buy-in over the full team. Certainly, Embo took a young, loud, tough ass, abruptly turn things around approach which was not well received. As I recall part of it was Bohn's doing, they had to pay off Hawkins, were perhaps still paying off Barnett and had to pay the PAC12/BIG12 transfer fees. Embo and his staff were not highly compensated, compared to their peers--thus very young and inexperienced.

For what it is worth, the situation probably required a big name coach, who could bring in an experienced staff, thus huge money The big name was really necessary for all the patience. When I look at the # of players that stayed from Embo's 2nd recruiting class, he did not throw the school under the bus. As I recall, it was an Embo defender that raised the racial thing-- the better way to pose that question was "isn't it unreasonable to hire a young inexperienced coach and give him less than 2 full seasons?" Before the breakout season, MACII was sort of in the same position-- instead of firing him, RG required him to bring in Leavitt for the defense, and the same thing was done for the offense as well.

The decisions that led to Embry being hired came from above Bohn's head. Bohn had been ready to fire Hawk the end of the prior season and Dr. Phil overrode the decision at the last moment. When they did finally fire Hawk they tied Bohn's hands by not allowing a high enough coaching budget to compete for anyone qualified. They figured by hiring "CU guys" in JE and EB the fans and donors would give them a pass.

The attitude and buy in of the team was certainly corrupted by Hawk. A lot of players had checked out in terms of putting out the full effort. This is something though that competent coaches are able to get back. MM was able to do it fairly quickly when he got here. From all indications Mel Tucker has the full attention of the team coming off of spring practice. JE got it from most of the team then proceeded to lose it again as the huge losses piled up, he and his staff showed themselves to be in over their heads. and after a constant barrage of screamed profanity they just tuned JE out.

Embree did throw the school under the bus though. From the Daily Camera https://www.dailycamera.com/2012/11/28/jon-embree-probably-still-have-job-if-white/

Embree was asked if he believes he would still be the head coach at Colorado if he was white.
“Probably,” he said. “And, you’d have to base that on history. History says you get more than two. I’m not into researching all the other aspects of it, but how many coaches have been fired after two years with the same record?”

I know there are others who disagree but I believe that if Embree had stayed in the college game as an assistant, worked his way up to and gained experience as a coordinator, and worked directly under one or more quality head coaches that he could have eventually been a good college level head coach. He is intelligent and passionate about what he does and the people he works with respect him.

Because of this experience and how he handled it I don't think that will ever happen.

The decisions that led to Embry being hired came from above Bohn's head. Bohn had been ready to fire Hawk the end of the prior season and Dr. Phil overrode the decision at the last moment. When they did finally fire Hawk they tied Bohn's hands by not allowing a high enough coaching budget to compete for anyone qualified. They figured by hiring "CU guys" in JE and EB the fans and donors would give them a pass.

The attitude and buy in of the team was certainly corrupted by Hawk. A lot of players had checked out in terms of putting out the full effort. This is something though that competent coaches are able to get back. MM was able to do it fairly quickly when he got here. From all indications Mel Tucker has the full attention of the team coming off of spring practice. JE got it from most of the team then proceeded to lose it again as the huge losses piled up, he and his staff showed themselves to be in over their heads. and after a constant barrage of screamed profanity they just tuned JE out.

Embree did throw the school under the bus though. From the Daily Camera https://www.dailycamera.com/2012/11/28/jon-embree-probably-still-have-job-if-white/

I know there are others who disagree but I believe that if Embree had stayed in the college game as an assistant, worked his way up to and gained experience as a coordinator, and worked directly under one or more quality head coaches that he could have eventually been a good college level head coach. He is intelligent and passionate about what he does and the people he works with respect him.

Because of this experience and how he handled it I don't think that will ever happen.
Everything was above Bohn's head

embo inherited some talent....on the OL...miller, dbak, lewis and munyer were or are nfl'ers....hawk left no quarterback...once hansen was done..the transfers from kansas...and UT were not D1 dudes..after speedy was finished...embo had to use a true frosh lb/fb in powell at the featured back...step or two slow...hawk and embo refused to utilize the tight end position...on D, the two top linebackers, majors and rippey were operating on destroyed knees..embo's staff was a mess...it started with EB going completely bonkers during an early august preseason scrimage....3-4k fans ringing the field...EB in the coaching tower, " you mf'ers better start blocking, blah, blah, blah" early in the season..buffs were up on csu and sac state only to have the coaches screw the pooch on all fronts. during the sac state game marshall and EB had to be separated several times..the biggest problem was a lack of quality qb and rb...holes were there, but with guys were too slow in hitting the line..the team had practiced running tempo to take advantage of altitude...they would run it for the first series and then ditch it...leaving the team bewildered.embos' best hire was the S and C guy, Blacken...guys loved him and he got results...

Rick Nueheisel, **** that guy. Yeah, let's go play in the river or have a campfire where we can sing. Probably have been worse coaches, but that peckerwood just pissed me off.
This sentiment is fairly common among the fan base.

What it drives home for me is that I was wrong during the HC search last year when I wanted an offensive guru for a HC. Finesse football is not what works in Boulder. It's not popular with the fan base and it goes against cultural DNA.

Further, trying to go with a media darling type coach also fails spectacularly in Boulder. Many of the traits that might make a coach popular with the non-football community in Boulder are not what is good for the football program from a cultural standpoint. Please the true stakeholders with a hard nosed football guy rather than trying to please the locals who don't care much about football but love to have opinions at the neighborhood party. Those locals will come around if we're winning or at least be neutralized by the winning. McCartney proved that by being politically incorrect at an epic level but he was untouchable because he was also winning at an epic level.

I think Tucker is the right type of coach for CU. Physical football based on winning in the trenches. No shying away from expecting his team to be violent and aggressive on the field -- he didn't sugarcoat that in his interviews despite it probably giving a few of our Regents heart palpitations to hear it. Committed to being engaged with the public as the face & voice of the program, but not approaching it as self-promotion -- it's just part of the job that helps with attendance/revenue and recruiting, which directly leads to winning. He also clearly has his eye on this job, not chasing the next job by how the CU job can build his resume. Doesn't mean he'll retire as the CU coach, but he's clearly 100% invested in a process-oriented approach of building the best possible program for the long-term.

I'm very happy wit Tucker and I learned a lot from this hiring process. I fully understand why Mel Tucker was Rick George's guy and why the flash of guys like Rick (and Hawkins) are simply bad fits for CU regardless of how talented the coaching candidate may be and how much he may have won elsewhere. You always have to be true to your DNA and Tucker has that.

embo inherited some talent....on the OL...miller, dbak, lewis and munyer were or are nfl'ers....hawk left no quarterback...once hansen was done..the transfers from kansas...and UT were not D1 dudes..after speedy was finished...embo had to use a true frosh lb/fb in powell at the featured back...step or two slow...hawk and embo refused to utilize the tight end position...on D, the two top linebackers, majors and rippey were operating on destroyed knees..embo's staff was a mess...it started with EB going completely bonkers during an early august preseason scrimage....3-4k fans ringing the field...EB in the coaching tower, " you mf'ers better start blocking, blah, blah, blah" early in the season..buffs were up on csu and sac state only to have the coaches screw the pooch on all fronts. during the sac state game marshall and EB had to be separated several times..the biggest problem was a lack of quality qb and rb...holes were there, but with guys were too slow in hitting the line..the team had practiced running tempo to take advantage of altitude...they would run it for the first series and then ditch it...leaving the team bewildered.embos' best hire was the S and C guy, Blacken...guys loved him and he got results...
Got to know Blacken a little. Really good guy and knew his stuff.

Hmm, I think I've been over this already, so I'm done talking about it and haven't been using that word. Also, I don't know who the hell you are.

Back