What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 FL CB Cormani McClain (Signed to COLORADO)

Yuri Wright never played in the NFL
How many players in the NFL weight less than yuri wright?

You made a point that no player should be that thin, I’m proving you can be thin and make the league.

How many players in the NFL weight less than yuri wright?

You made a point that no player should be that thin, I’m proving you can be thin and make the league.
You said a guy weighed 155 when he was actually 35 lbs heavier than that. No idea what you're proving.

This (thread) is a **** show, I can’t help either of you , or cormani.

Some guys simply don't gain weight, their body doesn't do it no matter what they do, Yuri didn't gain much weight in the pros either.
Different sport, but Diop and Dak would each love to be 20 - 25 pounds heavier than this year's playing weights. Their body types will make that very tough.

Some guys simply don't gain weight, their body doesn't do it no matter what they do, Yuri didn't gain much weight in the pros either.

The didn't work part though is right. He like Cormani was so much better than guys in high school that he could dominate without working hard, he continued the path in Boulder. As a result his technique, his knowledge of the game didn't improved in a way that showed on the field.

When he got to the NFL and managed to make a roster he got the message. "Work like a pro, study, learn, practice hard, get better, or you can be back on the street without a job in the time it takes us to fax paperwork to the league office.

He finally listened and had a solid career but I wonder how much better his career could have been had he worked harder in college and gone into the pros better prepared.
If you're not gaining weight you're not eating enough calories - very cut and dry. YW didn't put in the work anywhere and it showed.

If you're not gaining weight you're not eating enough calories - very cut and dry. YW didn't put in the work anywhere and it showed.
There are limits. I played a lot of hockey in my life, I'm not a big man for a defenseman. Today, I work out a little and float between 170-175 at 5'9 - when my sole focus was trying to get bigger, I topped out in the 195-200 range - any weight above that was just useless fat slowing me down.

There are limits. I played a lot of hockey in my life, I'm not a big man for a defenseman. Today, I work out a little and float between 170-175 at 5'9 - when my sole focus was trying to get bigger, I topped out in the 195-200 range - any weight above that was just useless fat slowing me down.
100% - but YW was a stick & was an elite athlete with pretty good training around him. At 6'1 with his athletic ability he should have been around 180-185.

The effect of more calories, is directly related to the temperature of the furnace. If you take in 10% more calories, but work out and sweat 2x as much, you likely will gain no weight at all. Probably would lose some.

The effect of more calories, is directly related to the temperature of the furnace. If you take in 10% more calories, but work out and sweat 2x as much, you likely will gain no weight at all. Probably would lose some.
That's why OL eat 5000 calories a day or whatever to go from normal weight of 220 to 350. It takes discipline and work to gain weight, but you can do it with modern nutrition. It's not fun though.

Correct - but being on top of your nutrition is part of the deal with being a successful athlete. As Snow said it takes work & dedication, YW didn't show that at CU. Eating 4k+ calories/day isn't the most fun but it's easy to achieve with dense foods & shakes & consistency.

My brother was an OL at University of Houston. He topped out at a lean 290. Just couldn't gain more. 8500 calories a day. Waking up in the middle of the night twice to eat. Ultimately, he had a metabolic problem which medically retired him early.

My brother was an OL at University of Houston. He topped out at a lean 290. Just couldn't gain more. 8500 calories a day. Waking up in the middle of the night twice to eat. Ultimately, he had a metabolic problem which medically retired him early.

I agree with you and many other sentiments. Others indicate that putting on pounds is all want and discipline (it can be): (1) but is it healthy? and (2) does it make the athlete better in terms of speed, mobility, agility, etc...? Every individual's body is different (genetics, growth plates, etc...) and IMO natural bulk and growth is where players excel and a team should want--a healthy strong build. The added nutritional programs available help and in theory (absent a metobolic problem) should get each player to their natural build maximizing the best: strength, speed, agility and football product. It does require effort, however the body has to cooperate as well.

A certain % of players like your brother build some on campus but max out and cannot meet the position's requirement. Then it guess it is back to good ole' the HGH, roids days... or finish out your football playing days, graduate, and onto a new and exciting profession. If he succeed in building his body the wrong way, he may have played more but be cripplied the playing days are over.

I think Yuri Wright's issues were not just his skinny build/frame but his height as well. CU was banking on his body frame growing--YW and we lost. All of us are born with our natural (genetic) growth plates, so you can't really change that much. If his body growth plates do not broaded shoulders, it is tough to gain tons of upper body mass. I repeat, Mike Mac (not the coach who recruited YW) came completely to YW's defense speaking about his retirement and was candid about his growth limitations--he did not say YW lacked desire or discipline, as he kept him on schollie to graduate. He was sorry body limitiations did not work out better. Also, YW had 2 known concussions when playing for CU, not sure if he had any previous. As a coach, I would have a tough time putting a 165 pound player in a D1 game as a DB with concussion history. I disagree with @Toverson, that YW was 6'1", I never thought he was that tall. However, if YW had grown to like 6'3" I'm sure he would have made 190 - 195, and he could have been like Spoon--maybe not to the pros, but a solid college player.

On the other side of the coin, there are some players who bulk up well past their natural healthy body. Mandwich and Boz did this unnaturally. I love LaViska Shenult, one of my top 5 Buffs, and he really bulked up (a weight room monster), however some of his bulk looked unnatural to my eyes--almost over built. Still love the guy and root for him each game, but his NFL experience has been a mixed bag given injuries. It is always 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. 49's McCaffery lost some weight adjusted his game and had another breakout season.

MLB's pitching injury woes have been highlighted this season? To what lengths can an arm can go without injury? What % of the entire population out there can throw regularly in the high 80 - mid 90, or high with a wicked slider, cut or sinker and not be subject to arm injuries? In baseball, they bulk these guys up with moster tights and huge asses for more power, yet the arm injuries crow up everyweek. Football has it differently, in the NFL how many guys (grown men) under 185 can excel at positions requiring regularly hitting, tackling, blocking, etc...?? In college football, we are doing about the same as the NFL, except we are dealing with growing young adults/athletes, not grown men.

I agree with you and many other sentiments. Others indicate that putting on pounds is all want and discipline (it can be): (1) but is it healthy? and (2) does it make the athlete better in terms of speed, mobility, agility, etc...? Every individual's body is different (genetics, growth plates, etc...) and IMO natural bulk and growth is where players excel and a team should want--a healthy strong build. The added nutritional programs available help and in theory (absent a metobolic problem) should get each player to their natural build maximizing the best: strength, speed, agility and football product. It does require effort, however the body has to cooperate as well.

A certain % of players like your brother build some on campus but max out and cannot meet the position's requirement. Then it guess it is back to good ole' the HGH, roids days... or finish out your football playing days, graduate, and onto a new and exciting profession. If he succeed in building his body the wrong way, he may have played more but be cripplied the playing days are over.

I think Yuri Wright's issues were not just his skinny build/frame but his height as well. CU was banking on his body frame growing--YW and we lost. All of us are born with our natural (genetic) growth plates, so you can't really change that much. If his body growth plates do not broaded shoulders, it is tough to gain tons of upper body mass. I repeat, Mike Mac (not the coach who recruited YW) came completely to YW's defense speaking about his retirement and was candid about his growth limitations--he did not say YW lacked desire or discipline, as he kept him on schollie to graduate. He was sorry body limitiations did not work out better. Also, YW had 2 known concussions when playing for CU, not sure if he had any previous. As a coach, I would have a tough time putting a 165 pound player in a D1 game as a DB with concussion history. I disagree with @Toverson, that YW was 6'1", I never thought he was that tall. However, if YW had grown to like 6'3" I'm sure he would have made 190 - 195, and he could have been like Spoon--maybe not to the pros, but a solid college player.

On the other side of the coin, there are some players who bulk up well past their natural healthy body. Mandwich and Boz did this unnaturally. I love LaViska Shenult, one of my top 5 Buffs, and he really bulked up (a weight room monster), however some of his bulk looked unnatural to my eyes--almost over built. Still love the guy and root for him each game, but his NFL experience has been a mixed bag given injuries. It is always 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. 49's McCaffery lost some weight adjusted his game and had another breakout season.

MLB's pitching injury woes have been highlighted this season? To what lengths can an arm can go without injury? What % of the entire population out there can throw regularly in the high 80 - mid 90, or high with a wicked slider, cut or sinker and not be subject to arm injuries? In baseball, they bulk these guys up with moster tights and huge asses for more power, yet the arm injuries crow up everyweek. Football has it differently, in the NFL how many guys (grown men) under 185 can excel at positions requiring regularly hitting, tackling, blocking, etc...?? In college football, we are doing about the same as the NFL, except we are dealing with growing young adults/athletes, not grown men.
Mtn., you have a challenger.

Lefty-- coming from Bob Menery that is my: "s*** bag t***y f***" post of the week! Now let's close out this transfer call, and kick some serious ass next year.

On the new LB, if da Lama says all-good. I'm all good!

I was in PB once upon a time, hitting up the Happy Hour at Moose Mcgillicuddy's. Not much of a crowd there at 5.30 p. but suddenly a ruckus at the door, about five really hot blondes come in. They are surrounding some lucky dude who turns out to be John Daly. He was playing at some tourney at Torrey Pines and was already three sheets to the wind and hitting the dance floor doing his white boy shuffle with his female admirers. Good times.

Last edited:

These are a lot of excuses for someone who just simply didn't put in the effort to do anything at CU. It wasn't body limitations to weigh more than 165lbs at 6'1" as a D1 athlete, it was not working & not prioritizing nutrition.

The problem was he was probably doing more working out and cardio on top of the extra eating. Cardio should almost not be done at all if you're trying to add muscle mass.

Back