What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 CA QB Jack Sears (Verbal to USC)

As mentioned in the “Other Games” thread, Daniels may be out for the season.

Last edited:
“Fink entered the transfer portal in April to seek out a destination where he could play in 2019 before deciding to return. Sears entered the transfer portal last week after finishing fourth in the competition. He is no longer with the team.”

Tough deal for Daniels, acl and meniscus. He'll get through it at his age. Sears, I couldn't care less what he does.

I think Sears will land at Fresno State or another Mountain West team. A college career is short; you want to play. The guy has a lot of talent.

It's been made pretty clear by a few sources that Sears had lost the #2 spot when he decided to go to the portal, to the frosh from Scottsdale. He may have been 3rd, and now would be the backup, or the co-backup.

It's been made pretty clear by a few sources that Sears had lost the #2 spot when he decided to go to the portal, to the frosh from Scottsdale. He may have been 3rd, and now would be the backup, or the co-backup.
Correct.
All indications he is behind Slovis, he may even be behind Fink.

No reason to think at this point that Daniels won't be back for next year along with those two plus whoever SC recruits this year.

Sears is more talented than a typical MWC QB but he can probably get a coach to make him some promises including playing time and style of offense to highlight his skills.

Jack Sears is one guy that's hard to get a read on what his skill level is.

Coming out of Spring 2019, he was listed as the backup to Daniels (with Fink announcing he would transfer). Many (including me) believed that Sears had taken the #2 spot from Fink, but others felt like Fink thought he should start. Hard to tell. Some unknown and lightly recruited early-enrollee named Kaden Slovis was listed at #3.

Reports were that Daniels (after an inconsistent true Frosh year) did little to solidify his #1 standing, still thinking too much, and making mistakes.

Coming out of August camp, Daniels had hung on to #1, but whispers were that this Slovis kid was a phenom, and perhaps had taken the #2 spot. This was when Sears announced he was leaving. Fink had come back (actually, never really left). I heard at the time everything from Sears being frustrated that he had not won the #1 job, to being frustrated that he had (perhaps) lost the #2 to Slovis.

Either way, after watching Slovis develop, that tells us almost nothing about Sears. Slovis is a superstar in the making and I would expect JT Daniels to be the next QB to transfer out of USC. And Daniels is talked about as a potential 1st rounder. About the only thing we know is that Jack Sears was competitive on the USC team and he was certainly smart.

edit: just sharing what I pieced together in doing some searches, with some opinion put in.

Last edited:
I think there's a chance that the QB depth chart was just loaded. Two future 1st round pick type guys in Daniels and Slovis, leaving guys like Fink and Sears as anywhere between "sucks" and "also a 1st round guy but won't be able to start". That happened at Texas Tech when nobody was gonna keep Mahomes on the bench, regardless of his talent.

I know that we kid (with reason) about the current state of USC but it's fair to say that they aren't and haven't been recruiting QBs who lack talent. If he is there it is because multiple people saw top flight ability in him.

Could he be a Connor Wood? Yes, but less likely. Wood came out of a small school in Texas that didn't play the level that most Texas recruits come from. Wood also was dropped into the middle of a situation that was a train wreck. The offense was chaos and the OL was a poorly coordinated bunch of guys who wouldn't have gotten scholarship offers from our conference opponents. Wood wasn't ready to play at this level and it may not have mattered if he did. Sefo only survived because he was tougher than nails.

Not much downside though if we get him. Without him we are looking at having a walk-on as our #3 (and maybe #2) The upside is that he could be what was expected and become a draftable difference maker for us.

And how much fun would it be to beat USC with a QB that left USC?

Followed by Karl and Chandler Dorrell and followed them back, still on the market.

giphy.gif

Would he be able to play this fall?

Otherwise, we still have a predicament, at least in the short term.

Back