What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

17 new Buffs today & signing day Feb 6 still to come

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Latest tweet from CU Football makes it pretty clear we're done for the day. Technically we could still have recruits sign through Friday, but it's more likely that we're done for the early signing period.

In order of announcement today:
1. Valentin Senn (OT)
2. Jaren Mangham (RB)
3. Janaz Jordan (DT)
4. Austin Williams (DT)
5. Austin Johnson (OG)
6. Alec Pell (OLB)
7. Joe Davis (RB)
8. Jeremiah Doss (DE)
9. Mark Perry (S)
10. Na'im Rodman (DT)
11. Va'atofu Sauvao (OG)
12. Braedin Huffman-Dixon (WR)
13. Jashua Allen (ILB)
14. Jalen Harris (TE)
15. Jake Wiley (OT)
16. Marvin Ham (ILB)
17. KJ Trujillo (CB)

Committed but not signed:

1. Tarik Luckett (WR)

Based on what the experts on the premium sites and on the beat are saying, it looks like we'll see another 5 or 6 guys added to the roster in February.

Needs:

1. We didn't sign a QB, losing Ty Evans to NC State.
2. On his periscope broadcast, Adam indicated we should expect another OL & DL.
3. Considering depth chart, at least 2 more DBs would seem likely.
4. TE seems like a priority and Gustav as the lone frosh (after greyshirting) may not be enough.
5. It wouldn't be shocking to see a JUCO or grad transfer RB added to get more certainty at the position.

All things considered, this class is at best meh but I guess that’s what we are - in transistion. Hoping we can keep juco-ing to shore things up and keep the projects progressing faster than MM and team could do

This is a good class so far. I’m pleasantly surprised given the circumstances.

I’m not overly concerned by the lack of QB this cycle although signing one would be a benefit. Adding more in the trenches is probably the best way forward.

@Buffnik

Where do you think the logical remaining spaces go? DB, OL, DL, safety? Who do we think were targeting?
If you're asking for specific guys, I don't know yet. I don't think our coaches know yet. Especially since we've still got 3 assistants to hire and they may very well have some ideas on guys we should sign.

All things considered, this class is at best meh but I guess that’s what we are - in transistion. Hoping we can keep juco-ing to shore things up and keep the projects progressing faster than MM and team could do

In one of the interviews after Tucker got hired, I forget which one, he seemed to indicate that JUCO is a good way to fix some roster holes, but it is not how he wants to build the foundation of his program.

I would expect the number of JUCO signees to drop off as Coach Tucker and his staff get established.

I disagree tbh. I’m not going to move the posts here, i promised that. #50 class is not up to par. But, we’re at #50 with only 17 recruits. There’s a few guys here maybe in a few years we wouldn’t even consider offering. But there’s some good kids in this class and the average is good as well. If we finish strong with some high quality kids there’s no reason we can’t move up into the 30’s. Class is just small right now.

I disagree tbh. I’m not going to move the posts here, i promised that. #50 class is not up to par. But, we’re at #50 with only 17 recruits. There’s a few guys here maybe in a few years we wouldn’t even consider offering. But there’s some good kids in this class and the average is good as well. If we finish strong with some high quality kids there’s no reason we can’t move up into the 30’s. Class is just small right now.
16 in terms of how the sites rate things. Harris is a transfer and doesn't factor into the class ranks.

Meh

For reference. Cal is 41 and has 24 recruits. The difference between us and #30 is 27 points, #39 would be 16 points. Of course this is fluid and with February those numbers obviously move but we’re still a few recruits lower than most other teams.

Chapman bumps it to 184. We get lucky and can land a guy like Ford and that’s 199. Average recruit (85) bumps it 3-5 points so if we sign 6-8 average recruits we’ll end up around 204-212 total points. This class with 8 less players is only 6 point shy of 2018. It’s 26 points shy of 2017. There’s a good chance this class could be the best class since 08’.

For reference. Cal is 41 and has 24 recruits. The difference between us and #30 is 27 points, #39 would be 16 points. Of course this is fluid and with February those numbers obviously move but we’re still a few recruits lower than most other teams.

Chapman bumps it to 184. We get lucky and can land a guy like Ford and that’s 199. Average recruit (85) bumps it 3-5 points so if we sign 6-8 average recruits we’ll end up around 204-212 total points. This class with 8 less players is only 6 point shy of 2018. It’s 26 points shy of 2017. There’s a good chance this class could be the best class since 08’.
Do they still just count the 20 best or do they now count everyone?

Recruited the trenches and TE/LB better than In we have in a decade.

Thinking Tucker pulls in a few more solid recruits, not going to light up the 247 scoreboard but should give us depth and a foundation. Very encouraging to be sitting with the class we signed after a recent coaching change.

QUOTE="Buffnik, post: 2585004, member: 1852"]Do they still just count the 20 best or do they now count everyone?[/QUOTE]
Here's the 247 Sports class calculator. If you look at Alabama for example, their calculation matches their #1 position with 26 recruits. I took out Alabama's lowest guy and their number changed. So it appears they use all recruits.

QUOTE="Buffnik, post: 2585004, member: 1852"]Do they still just count the 20 best or do they now count everyone?
Here's the 247 Sports class calculator. If you look at Alabama for example, their calculation matches their #1 position with 26 recruits. I took out Alabama's lowest guy and their number changed. So it appears they use all recruits.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That’s what I’ve been using to calculate.

Here's the 247 Sports class calculator. If you look at Alabama for example, their calculation matches their #1 position with 26 recruits. I took out Alabama's lowest guy and their number changed. So it appears they use all recruits.

Thanks. That’s what I’ve been using to calculate.[/QUOTE]

Looks like they factor in recruits past the top 20 but their scores don't count for as much. For example, Bama's 21st ranked commit is a 4* and is worth fewer points than our lowest rated recruit (Janaz Jordan, 3*). I have no idea how they come up with their final score.

EDIT: And if I add Kyle Ford, the guys at the bottom of the class scores go down a little bit even though we would still be under 20 commits. Their formula is complicated

Needs:
1 TE (prep): Patterson and Martinez are the big names out west
1 CB: not sure where we are looking here, Tucker should have some nice connections though
2 S: Hill and Chapman would be about as nice a combo as we could get
1 OLB:
1 DL (prep)

Wants (BPS)
1 T (grad transfer or prep, no in between)
1 RB (big time recruit, otherwise what is the point of just adding numbers)
1 OLB
1 WR (Ford or Shenault)
1 QB if a big name comes available. I read somewhere that this years class was rated as one of the worst by a couple people in the business so @Duff Man could be right that taking two next year might be the move.

Here's my big board, just based on players that haven't signed that we have at least seen some connection to CU. I am sure there are some other transfer candidate out there. I only included Fields, and I think that's pretty slim chance.

Don Chapman DB
Jamal Hill DB
Drake Jackson DL
Steven Parker DL
Chans Jones OL
Cam'Ron Johnson OL
Paul Matavao-Poialii OL
Tuasivi Nomura OLB
Henry To'oto'o OLB
Justin Fields QB
Glover Cook RB
Kyle Patterson TE
Michael Martinez TE
Kyle Ford WR
LaVontae Shenault WR

Mel priorities IMO

1. Complete staff.
2. Finish player evals.
3. Rework board.
4. Land Luckett and Chapman.
5. Focus Chiv and position coach on new targets. Get commitment to visit.
6. Organize outta-sight Jan OV unlike any other CU has ever hosted.
7. Sleep (optional).

8) land ford

So I'm clear on Ford-committed to SC Monday but didn't sign? Just looked at his twitter.....

Back