What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 CA OG Chris Murray (Verbal to UCLA)

**** that. I’ve never heard them mentioned in the same academic vein as Notre Dame or Stanford.
Seriously? UCLA is a GREAT academic school. Here is a post I made a little while ago:

CU is #116 in the 2017 World University Rankings. (Plus breakdown by conference.)

Pac-12:
3. Stanford
10. University of California, Berkeley
14. University of California, Los Angeles
25. University of Washington
60. University of Southern California
116. University of Colorado Boulder
131. Arizona State University
156. University of Arizona
201-250. University of Utah
301-350. University of Oregon
301-350. Oregon State University
351-400. Washington State University

UCLA is the second highest ranked public university in the USA behind Berkeley.

Notre Dame is at 143. Unless you want to become a Catholic priest, there are a lot of better schools out there.

Seriously? UCLA is a GREAT academic school. Here is a post I made a little while ago:

CU is #116 in the 2017 World University Rankings. (Plus breakdown by conference.)

Pac-12:
3. Stanford
10. University of California, Berkeley
14. University of California, Los Angeles
25. University of Washington
60. University of Southern California
116. University of Colorado Boulder
131. Arizona State University
156. University of Arizona
201-250. University of Utah
301-350. University of Oregon
301-350. Oregon State University
351-400. Washington State University

UCLA is the second highest ranked public university in the USA behind Berkeley.

Notre Dame is at 143. Unless you want to become a Catholic priest, there are a lot of better schools out there.
I have to question any list that puts ASU above Notre Dame.

Most of the university presidents use ARWU to measure their dicks against other schools around the world.

Pac-12 Ranks on ARWU for 2017:

2. Stanford
5. Cal
12. UCLA
13. Washington
43. Colorado
54. USC
99. Arizona
101-150. Arizona State
101-150. Utah
151-200. Oregon State
201-300. Oregon
401-500. Washington State

Notre Dame comes in the 201-300 range with Oregon. It would be the 10th or 11th best academic university in the Pac-12.

Of course, this is a general overall rating. For specific schools within the university, a place that's rated low overall could be the best.

Most of the university presidents use ARWU to measure their dicks against other schools around the world.

2. Stanford
5. Cal
12. UCLA
13. Washington
43. Colorado
54. USC
99. Arizona
101-150. Arizona State
101-150. Utah
151-200. Oregon State
201-300. Oregon

Notre Dame comes in the 201-300 range with Oregon. It would be the 10th or 11th best academic university in the Pac-12.

Of course, this is a general overall rating. For specific schools within the university, a place that's rated low overall could be the best.

After working in higher ed for 12 years now, I’ve found that universities will promote any publication that ranks them the highest.

After working in higher ed for 12 years now, I’ve found that universities will promote any publication that ranks them the highest.
fwiw, I saw several reports that AAU Membership, Carnegie Tier 1 and ARWU rank were the "prestige" factors that presidents cared about in the last round of realignment as it related to academics.

2. Stanford
5. Cal
12. UCLA
13. Washington
43. Colorado
54. USC
99. Arizona
101-150. Arizona State
101-150. Utah
151-200. Oregon State
201-300. Oregon

301-400. BYU
infinity and beyond. BSU

fwiw, I saw several reports that AAU Membership, Carnegie Tier 1 and ARWU rank were the "prestige" factors that presidents cared about in the last round of realignment as it related to academics.
Carnegie: BYU strike one, BSU strike two
AAU: BYU strike two, BSU strike three

Carnegie: BYU strike one, BSU strike two
AAU: BYU strike two, BSU strike three
Yep. It's why the Pac-12 isn't the Pac-14 already.

Only western school that I think would have a shot is UNLV if its medical school and other investments are enough to drive it to Carnegie 1 in the 2020 ranks.

They've got to start winning in football to make that viable, though. New stadium will be great and the population & recruiting explosion in Nevada are big positives (as is the prestige of its hoops program), but it's hard to see how UNLV makes the conference more money if its football program is struggling to get bowl eligible at the G5 level.

How many additional tv viewers would UNLV bring, and would that come close to splitting up the pie once again? No. Vegas and it's surrounding populace (this is the key, as there is nothing for hundreds of miles around Vegas) is small still and most of it's population is either temporary, soon to die, or strongly attached to wherever they came from (Michigan, Minnesota, Hawaii, China, Russia.....). It doesn't move the needle even a little bit for me.

If they start filling their stadium like Boise State, it would start to get interesting.

Any reason why he didn't sign yet? Think the coaching change had anything to do with it? If so, I hope Bernardi is sitting by the Batphone.

I have to question any list that puts ASU above Notre Dame.

Many of these rankings are based on the quality of research done by faculty members and the quality of graduate programs and ASU punches way above its reputation in this dimension. They are not top tier in general but along these two dimensions they are in the same bucket as CU. For example, their business, economics, finance, etc., faculties and graduate programs are much better than CU, along with some natural sciences like astronomy, while in general I'd suspect that they are worse in engineering, humanities, physics, and other areas.

ASU is a better school than you think.

Many of these rankings are based on the quality of research done by faculty members and the quality of graduate programs and ASU punches way above its reputation in this dimension. They are not top tier in general but along these two dimensions they are in the same bucket as CU. For example, their business, economics, finance, etc., faculties and graduate programs are much better than CU, along with some natural sciences like astronomy, while in general I'd suspect that they are worse in engineering, humanities, physics, and other areas.

ASU is a better school than you think.

Did you mean astrology and psychics?

Back