What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

2018 Recruiting - Positional Needs

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
20 scholarships is a nice, round number to assume for what the Buffs have available this year.

What's your breakdown of how they should use them?

Upperclassmen by position:

QB: 0 seniors / 0 juniors
RB: 3 seniors / 1 junior
WR: 4 seniors / 3 juniors
TE/FB: 0 seniors / 2 juniors
OL: 3 seniors / 1 junior
DL: 3 seniors / 3 juniors
ILB: 1 senior / 4 juniors
OLB: 0 seniors / 2 juniors
CB: 0 seniors / 1 junior
S: 2 seniors / 4 juniors
K: 1 senior / 0 juniors
P: 0 seniors / 1 junior
LS: 0 seniors / 0 juniors

Here's where I think CU should focus:

QB: 1 (always take 1) -- Stenstrom committed
RB 2: Borghi committed, need 1 more
WR: 2 -- none committed
TE/FB: 1 -- none committed
OL: 4 -- Culver & Jynes committed (one of final 2 should be a juco)
DL: 3 -- none committed (possibly 2 of them juco)
OLB: 1 -- Gustav committed & we loaded up in 2017
ILB: 1 -- loaded up in 2017 (should be a juco)
CB: 2 -- got to prepare for Oliver leaving early
S: 3 -- Robinson committed & could be OLB (at least 1 should be a JUCO)
K: 0 - signed Stefanou in 2017
P: 0 -- priority for 2019
LS: 0 -- Bale is only a soph & might earn scholarship

I think ultimately we see 22-23 signed. I think a true pass rusher is a big need on defense and I think you could potentially see one more WR or TE taken as a "best player available."

Also, I think the need for a JUCO OT depends a lot on how Miller recovers from injury.

A few questions for you guys:

1) On a scale of 1-10, do you think Borghi really is going to be a RB? Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad we got him. He seems like a stud, but also sort of a positionless stud, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd like to take 2 RBs with some size this cycle.
2) Do you really feel that we loaded up on ILB in the last class? Do you envision Landman, Wells and JVD all at ILB? Has that been confirmed or inferred by any coach?

Thanks.

1) On a scale of 1-10, do you think Borghi really is going to be a RB? Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad we got him. He seems like a stud, but also sort of a positionless stud, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd like to take 2 RBs with some size this cycle.
2) Do you really feel that we loaded up on ILB in the last class? Do you envision Landman, Wells and JVD all at ILB? Has that been confirmed or inferred by any coach?

Thanks.
(1) TEN. He's a RB. Don't understand your question here. Sleight on height can be a plus at RB, not a negative. He's powerful and strong. He'll be a 3-down back. He's not tall enough to be a DB.
(2) Will need to shakeout. Landman and JVD are ILB. Wells is tbd.

Thanks.
I absolutely see Borghi as a RB. But I also think he can play in the slot a bit.

Regarding ILB in the last class, it's projection on the 3 guys you mentioned playing ILB. Newman is also a possibility. In interviews, JVD has been the only one I've heard who has specifically talked about learning the position (he's planning to get in Gamboa's ear) but all have been open and are pretty much just coming in as "linebackers". Anyway, that's a lot for a position that's not graduating anyone after 2017.

Borghi is currently bigger than Lindsay is right now. Yes, he's 100% a RB, who can be moved all over the field and also return kicks.

I was about to say that he feels like a Lindsay clone.
I'm going to get ripped for this, but coaching against him twice, he reminds me of McCaffrey. Not only are they similar in size (Borghi an inch or two shorter), but he is every bit as versatile in Pomona's offense as CMac was in Valor's. Also, when it comes to straight line speed, I think Max is faster, but Christian had that lateral quickness that I haven't seen out of many kids in person.

McCaffery has a sixth sense about where holes will develop that I've never seen before. You think you've got him and he's just takes off for 15 yards. If Borghi has any part of that kind of ability, he will be special.

McCaffery has a sixth sense about where holes will develop that I've never seen before. You think you've got him and he's just takes off for 15 yards. If Borghi has any part of that kind of ability, he will be special.
This is what what was so annoying about that Stanford game last year. It looked like nothing was there, he would angle a bit into a crease, and suddenly he was at the second level. I didn't think he was special until I watched our game against them.

This is what what was so annoying about that Stanford game last year. It looked like nothing was there, he would angle a bit into a crease, and suddenly he was at the second level. I didn't think he was special until I watched our game against them.
Lindsay was the best back on the field that day.

I'm going to get ripped for this, but coaching against him twice, he reminds me of McCaffrey. Not only are they similar in size (Borghi an inch or two shorter), but he is every bit as versatile in Pomona's offense as CMac was in Valor's. Also, when it comes to straight line speed, I think Max is faster, but Christian had that lateral quickness that I haven't seen out of many kids in person.
Christian was the first thing that came to mind when I watched Max's film. Christian is a freak when it comes to natural ability as a RB, so not sure Borghi has that or not. I really like Borghi and think CU will use him all over the field as well as the return game, as mentioned above.

(1) TEN. He's a RB. Don't understand your question here. Sleight on height can be a plus at RB, not a negative. He's powerful and strong. He'll be a 3-down back. He's not tall enough to be a DB.
(2) Will need to shakeout. Landman and JVD are ILB. Wells is tbd.

Well, you answered my question for not understanding it. To me, Borghi could be RB, slot, or CB. The comparison to Lindsay out of HS is apt to me. While I was excited about Phil coming to CU...I did not think he'd be as good as he is now. So with that said, I'm not saying Borghi can't play RB, but he is smaller. Sure, that's not an insurmountable hurdle, but just not "ideal." I do think he could be CB. I know Mac, as well as the general trend, likes taller CBs, but shorter players' foot speed could help in the slot.

Regardless, cool - seems like people I trust are all united in that Borghi is a RB all the way; good to know. Thanks.

Buffs biggest need is a dynamic pass rusher. Gilbert was a solid player. McCartney is as well but a difference maker is the #1 need for this program.

Next need is to get DBs. Buffs are thin there and despite a HC that has shown great development there, they should have some studs. They will likely get 2 more JUCO guys but would love to see some young studs like some of the guys that went to competing P12S schools.

Next need is A young DE that can transition down line to NT in 2 years like Rogers should for UCLA.

ILB is not deep. Would love a true ILB type that can play all over field.

Buffs have a ton of young OL. Unless they are getting a RS type JUCO, I don't see need for more that 3 frosh OL.

Speed. Speed and talent is dynamic in college. Get more of that.

Back