What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022/23 TENNIS (#62 @ 5/4) season news & results (National Invitational Championship (NIT; Peachtree, GA; Next match vs. Stetson; Fri., 5/19, 8 AM MT)

Preview as the team has headed to Lincoln and is currently facing off against the Corn.

The Buffs have lost the double point, but based on early results in singles (see 2nd tweet below), looksl like it could be a TIGHT match overall.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/2/24/tennis-buffs-travel-to-nebraska-for-two-matches.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado Buffaloes Tennis team travels to Nebraska for two matches starting on Friday
against the Cornhuskers at 12:00 p.m. MST followed by a neutral site match against South Dakota on
Saturday at 10:00 a.m. MST.

The transition as an athlete from high school to college is hard enough as it is, but making an impact
early on in your freshman season is a mark of things to come for Carri Hayes. Still the transition hasn't
been easy for Hayes, but she has adapted to the changes that have come.

"I think college tennis is so much more competitive," Hayes said. "Opponents don't give up as easily and
at the division one level everybody is so good. So, every single match, no matter no matter UTR
(Universal Tennis Rating), no matter age, everybody is so good. I feel like you have to fight for every point a lot more than you did in high school."

After having surgery late in the fall, it was a tough road for Hayes to get back on the court and play how
she knew she could play.

"I just had surgery, so coming back from an injury is not easy," Hayes said. "It's not easy
to play division one college tennis being out for so long. I'm getting back and feel like I really have a lot
of momentum right now."

Since returning against Denver on January 29 th Hayes has been building and improving every match. That
culminated last Friday with a match clinching victory at No. 6 singles against BYU which was also her first
career win at Colorado. But after the match Hayes was a little surprised at the fact.

"It's funny, we were just laughing at that," Head Coach Anthony Pham said. "I told her that and she goes
really. She cried a little bit, but I am so proud of the work that Carri has put in."

Hayes looks forward to hitting the road and getting back on the court against Nebraska and South
Dakota this weekend.

"I'm really looking forward to competing," Hayes said. "I know my team is going to do great and I'm
really looking forward to us playing well and cheering my team on."

This weekend will be the first matched after being ranked 62 in the latest ITA rankings. The Buffs will get
tested in their first match of the weekend on Friday against Nebraska currently ranked 56. This will be
the 38 th matchup between the two school with Nebraska holding a 19-18 advantage all-time with the
last match coming during the 2011-12 season. The Buffs will look to end a six-match losing streak going
back to the 2008-09 season.

On Saturday the Buffs will take on South Dakota in a neutral site match at 10:00 a.m. MST. This will be
only the seventh matchup between these two schools with South Dakota holding a 4-2 lead in the all-
time series. But since 2008, the Buffs hold a 2-1 advantage.
"

Preview in front of this weekend's Pac 12 openers at home -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/2/tennis-buffs-start-conference-play.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado Buffaloes Tennis team starts Pac-12 conference play this weekend against No. 13 Stanford on Friday at 11 a.m. MST at the Rocky Mountain Tennis Center followed by No. 55 California on Sunday.

The California match time and location will be determined closer to match time and will either be played at the CU Tennis Complex or at the Rocky Mountain Tennis Center.

Anthony Pham starts conference play in his second year as the head coach at Colorado against two of the best teams in the country. Stanford currently ranks No. 13 in the country with a record of 6-2 coming off of a 5-2 victory over No. 8 Texas. Pham respects what Stanford has done in the tennis world on both the men's and women's side, but is ready to battle against a perennial power.

"We have a ton of respect for Stanford," Pham said. "They are one of the perennial tennis programs on both the men's and women's side, they've won numerous national titles. It's a great opportunity for us and we're excited to go out there and compete and battle against them."

As much as Pham knows conference play is important, he and the team are much more focused on playing the right way and improving from match to match.

"Obviously conference play is important," Pham said. "But for us we approach our matches with our focus being to keep improving and to try and pay a little better than the last match. That is our approach match to match. Pac-12 play is obviously important, but we try to take every match and give it the same importance."

In the last couple of weeks, freshman Carri Hayes and Anya Nelson have returned to the court following injuries that occurred in the fall and are already starting to make an impact for the Buffs. Hayes clinching the match against BYU and Nelson getting her first win of the spring against South Dakota at No. 2
doubles with senior Antonia Balzert.

Pham has seen growth from the entire team so far throughout the early spring, but especially from Hayes and Nelson and is looking for them to continue to improve match to match.

"Overall, with the team we're seeing improvement from match to match," Pham said. "With the freshman it's no different. I think they are starting to understand what division one tennis is about, and what it takes to be successful. There seems to be improvements, but we want to keep pushing to be better match to match."

The Buffs will look to make history on Friday getting the first win against Stanford in program history. The all-time series currently stands at 0-12 with the last eight coming since joining the Pac-12. Stanford currently has four players ranked in the top 80 singles players led by the fifth-ranked Connie Ma.

On Sunday the Buffs get back on the court against another ranked team in No. 55 California who is currently 3-4 coming off of a 4-3 loss against Michigan. The all-time series currently stands at 1-9 in favor of California. The last time the Golden Bears came to Boulder the Buffs got their not only their first victory against Cal, but their first win against a California-based Pac-12 school. The match will either be played outside at the CU Tennis Complex or inside at the Rocky Mountain Tennis Center.

The Buffs will look to start the season 9-3 for the first time since the 2014-15 season.
"

Thre match with Stanford has begun, and the Cardinal have won the doubles point. (The Buffs did win one of the three doubles match, which isn't bad against the pretty highly ranked Trees.)

Given the weather forecast, no surprise, but it's been announced tomorrow morning's match will be indoors.

Preview in front of Sunday morning's match hosting Wyoming.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/10/tennis-buffs-host-wyoming-sunday.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado Buffaloes Tennis team looks to snap a two-match losing streak against Wyoming in Boulder on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. in the lone match of the week. The match time and location will be determined closer to match time and will either be played at the CU Tennis Complex or at the Rocky Mountain Tennis Center.

Junior transfer Aya El Sayed has quickly adapted to playing tennis in the Pac-12. El Sayed is currently on a six-match winning streak at No. 4 singles going back to San Francisco in early February. The win streak was extended last week with wins in her first two Pac-12 matches of the spring. One of which was against then No. 72 ranked player in the country Alexis Blokhina of Stanford. Even with the streak continuing to grow El Sayed is focusing on playing the right way.

"Honestly I'm trying to do it the right way," El Sayed said. "I'm just trying to focus on what I have to focus on. It's definitely getting better day by day. I'm not focusing on the winning streak as much, but I'm focusing on my performance overall."

As a team the Buffs are coming off a tough weekend losing against then No. 13 and No. 55 ranked teams in the country with Stanford and California, but will look to bounce back on Sunday against Wyoming.

"I think we definitely improved in the match against Cal," El Sayed said. "I think we are going in the right direction. I'm excited for our match this weekend against Wyoming."

Wyoming comes to Boulder with a record of 4-7 on a two-match losing streak against Nebraska and Denver. The Buffs currently lead the all-time series 7-1 including a 4-0 sweep in Boulder last spring where many Buffs played a big part. The No. 3 doubles duo of Ellen Puzak and Betina Tokac clinched the doubles point with a 7-5 victory. Mila Stanojevic also helped secure the doubles point with a win at No. 2 doubles. Stanojevic also brought the score to 3-0 with a third set victory at No. 3 singles, and as usual at No. 1 singles Antonia Balzert clinched the match for Colorado.

The Buffs will look to bounce back and extend the winning streak against Wyoming to five on Sunday.
"

(No link I could find right now, but if it's like last weekend's matches, assume a llink to live scoring should become available at https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=colo by the time the match begins.)

Looks like this morning's matches will be indoor, and is back at their more normal indoor facility at the tennis club near campus (that is near (of part of?) what is (or was) the Millenium Harvest House).

Last edited:
The Buffs will have to play catchup, as they're down 1-2 to Wyoming after losing the doubles point and 1st singles match decided. They are up 3-0 in the 3rd set in the one other singles match going (singles #2), so hopefully she'll be able to complete that win to tie it up. Then, whoever wins 2 out of 3 in 4-6 singles matches will win the day.

Direct link to live scoring - https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=462917

Preview in front of this week's lone match, facing off against the Ducks tomorrow afternoon -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/16/tennis-buffs-travel-to-take-on-oregon.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado Buffaloes Tennis team hits travels to Eugene to start a four-match road trip beginning against the No. 47 ranked Oregon Ducks on Friday.

The Buffs will look to get their first Pac-12 win of the spring after losing to then No. 13 Stanford and No. 55 California. The team realizes that there are no easy matches in conference play and wants to make a statement against Oregon.

"I'm so excited to play against Oregon because they're in the Pac 12 as well," Betina Tokac said. "They're our enemy as well so it's going to be a tough match. We will be ready to fight and compete against them."

Head Coach Anthony Pham is ready to travel to Oregon and compete against the Ducks. Pham knows that the team needs to improve upon their last match against Wyoming to be able to go into a tough environment in Eugene.

"We definitely have to address some things in doubles and play little bit better," Pham said. "The doubles point is always important. Oregon is a very good team, playing up there's always a good challenge we look forward to it. We hope to continue to improve match to match."

The all-time series against Oregon currently is tied at 13-13 but the Ducks are currently on a three-match losing streak including a down to the wire 4-3 loss in the first round in the 2022 Pac-12 tournament. Senior Antonia Balzert, and Sophomores Mila Stanojevic, and Betina Tokac scored points for the Buffs against the Ducks.

The Buffs will play at 1:00 p.m. MST in Eugene, Oregon with a livestream available here.

Livestream: https://buffs.me/3yHev2w

The Buffs have added a match against No. 64 Northern Arizona on March 27 in Flagstaff, Arizona at 11:00 a.m. MST.
"

Preview in front of Monday morning's match vs. the Lumberjacks.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/24/tennis-buffs-hit-the-road-to-take-on-no-71-northern-arizona.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado Buffaloes Tennis team travels to Flagstaff, Arizona to continue their four-match road trip against No. 71 ranked Northern Arizona on Monday at 11:00 a.m. MST.

Originally the Buffs did not have Northern Arizona on the schedule but were able to add the match to give the team another chance to compete and improve. Head Coach Anthony Pham was looking to add another opportunity for the team get better with only eight matches left until the Pac-12 tournament in a month.

"At this point in the season we have eight matches left," Pham said on adding Northern Arizona. "Every match is important to us and it is an opportunity. Every match is an opportunity for us to get better. We have had a good week of practice, we feel good about our preparation. Northern Arizona is just another opportunity for us to play another good team and get better."

It has been quite some time since the Buffs have taken the court for a match going 10 days between matches. The down time gave was the first time all season that Colorado had a full week of training. This gave the entire team an opportunity to refine their games coming down the home stretch of the season.

"This is the first time this year that we've had literally a whole week of training to get the team ready," Pham said on the time off. "We spent a lot of time revisiting some of the things that we felt we haven't done a good job of recently and putting some emphasis on those things. We slowed some things down and talking about some things to make sure we are on the same page about how we should be approaching these things. I think we cleaned some of those things up so we can make sure we are controlling the controllables and preparing ourselves as best we can so they can be in the best position to be successful."

The Buffs travel to Flagstaff to take on the 71st ranked team in the country. The Lumberjacks come in with a record of 8-5 and winning three of their last four matches including a 7-0 victory on the road over Eastern Washington.

The Buffs come in for the second of a four-match road trip following a 4-0 loss in Eugene against Oregon. Colorado will look to bounce back before heading up to Los Angeles to close it out.

"We are looking forward to playing Northern Arizona," Pham said. "They are a good team, obviously one of the better teams in the region. It's a good opportunity for us to get a match in before we go to Los Angeles and play USC and UCLA who are perennial top 20 programs."

This will be only the sixth time these programs have played, and the first sine 2013. The Buffs are undefeated against the lumberjacks going back to 1989. The Buffs will look to continue the success on Monday in Flagstaff.
"

Live scoring - http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=463814

Wanted to note the match may actually begin at noon Boulder time. (I saw the below tweet from NAU tennis, and they say it starts at 11:00 MST, while we're in MDT.)

The team gets the W.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/27/tennis-colorado-takes-down-no-71-northern-arizona.aspx

"
Flagstaff, Ariz. – The Colorado Buffaloes Tennis team improved to 9-6 with the dominating 4-1 victory over No. 71 Northern Arizona on the road in Flagstaff on a rare Monday afternoon match. The Buffs started strong winning the doubles point quickly with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. After dropping the first singles match of the day the Buffs won three straight matches to clinch the match for Colorado.

Notes
  • The victory gives Colorado their first ranked win of the season, and first since No. 49 Arizona in 2022.
  • With this victory also gives the Buffs their first non-conference ranked win since defeating No. 67 Denver in 2022.
  • Aya El Sayed has an eight-match winning streak at No. 4 singles.
  • This was the fifth match of the year clinched by El Sayed.
  • Head coach Anthony Pham has surpassed his win total of eight from his first season as the head coach at Colorado.
Up Next
The Buffs will travel to Los Angeles for two matches beginning on Friday against No. 30 UCLA at 2:30 p.m. MST. The following day the Buffs will take on No. 38 USC at 1:30 p.m. MST. Colorado will then travel home for their next home match on April 7 against Washington State at 1:30 p.m. MST.

Quotes
CU Coach Anthony Pham

"Very proud of the team's resolve today. We've been a bit unlucky the last couple of weeks with injuries and sickness. The team did a great job of battling today in tough conditions and found a way to get it done. We've got a resilient group who play as one cohesive unit and really care and play for each other. That makes our job as coaches that much more enjoyable. We look forward to another productive couple of days of practice."
"

Preview in front of tomorrow's and Saturday's matches in So. Cal..

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/29/tennis-buffs-continue-their-road-trip-in-california.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado Buffaloes Tennis team finishes up their four-match road trip in Los Angeles with two matches against No. 31 UCLA on Friday followed by No. 35 USC on Saturday.

This weekend presents an opportunity for the Buffs to have their first 10 win season since 2019. To do that Colorado will look to get not only the programs first conference win of the season but also its first road conference win since defeating Arizona in 2019.

This won't come easy for the Buffs who are a combined 0-24 against UCLA and USC including losing the last 19 matches since Colorado joined the Pac-12 in 2011. Colorado will look to score its first points in Los Angeles since losing 7-2 to USC in 1999.

The Buffs are coming into this weekend of their best win of the season defeating No. 71 Northern Arizona on the road in Flagstaff behind Mila Stanojevic and Aya El Sayed each picking up doubles and singles wins leading the Buffs to a 4-1 victory.

The Buffs have been led throughout the season by Junior transfer Aya El Sayed who heads into this weekend on an eight-match winning streak that started almost two months ago against San Francisco. As much as the winning streak is nice, El Sayed is trying to play the right way and the winning will take care of itself.

"I'm just trying to do it the right way," El Sayed said on the winning streak. "I'm just trying to focus on getting better day by day. I'm not focusing on the winning streak, just trying to get better every day. If I keep doing that the winning will come."

Head Coach Anthony Pham was very proud of his team's performance earlier in the week against Northern Arizona. He believes that was exactly what his team needed to prepare for the matches against USC and UCLA.

"It was a great opportunity for us to get a match in against a high-quality opponent before traveling to Los Angeles," Pham said. "USC and UCLA are obviously two perennial top 20 programs in the nation."

With the university being on spring break the team was able to travel from Arizona to California early and spend time together and continue to build on the training they had last week without a match. Pham said the team will look to get a few productive days of practice in before their first match on Friday against UCLA.
"

Links for the matches (Both are supposed to have both live stream and scoring available.):

UCLA - https://uclabruins.com/sports/2020/1/13/ucla-tennis-live-stats-w

USC - https://usctrojans.com/sports/2020/...nis-live-scoreboard-video-david-marks-stadium

After almost a month on the road (they last hosted Wyoming on 3/12), the Buffs are back home facing the Washington schools this weekend.

Per the below, looks like both matches are planned to be at their main (outdoor) facility on the South Campus, I believe the 1st matches that will have been played there this spring season.

In what figures to possibly be a tight match, the Buffs just barely lose the doubles point by a tie breaker at #1's.

Article after yesterday's win -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/4/7/tennis-buffs-get-first-pac-12-win-of-the-season.aspx

"
BOULDER – Aya El Sayed picked up her ninth straight singles win and the No. 70 Colorado Buffaloes Tennis Team won five of six singles matches to defeat Washington State 5-2 here Friday afternoon at the CU Tennis Complex, earning the Buffs their first Pac-12 win of the season.

After a tough start dropping the doubles point, the Buffs responded with those five singles wins to improve to 10-8 overall and 1-5 in league play while the Cougars fall to 7-10 and 0-6 respectively.

Notes
  • With a win over Washington State this gives Colorado it's first Pac-12 victory of the season.
  • For the first time since 2018-19 the Buffs have reached double digit wins.
  • Aya El Sayed extended her win streak at No. 4 singles to nine matches.
  • This is Colorado's first win over Washington State since 2021.
  • The 5-2 win is the largest margin of victory over Washington State in the history of the matchup.
  • Elys Ventura clinched her first match in her Colorado career.

Up Next
The Buffs return to action in less than 48 hours back at the CU Tennis Complex on Sunday April 9 against No. 16 Washington at 11:00 a.m. MST. Colorado will be looking to reach 11 wins for the first time since 2014-15.

Quotes
CU Coach Anthony Pham

"Every Pac-12 win is a good win, everyone in the Pac-12 is good and Washington State is no different. They brought it to us in doubles, but we did a great job responding in singles. Happy with the results, but more proud of the decision making. We talked about doing certain things in matches and certain moments, but to see it play out on so many courts it's encouraging to see the team keep improving."
On responding after losing the doubles point
"Every match is a little different, obviously we are very determined. Winning the doubles point helps, but at the same time whether you win or lose you have to be able to put that behind you and jump into singles and the team did a very good job of that today."
On playing outside at home for the first time
"We've been outside to practice for the first time yesterday, before playing out here today. What helped us was being out in California last week, so that helped a lot. The team did a good job today of adjusting to the conditions."
On getting ready for Sunday
"We are going to get a good day of practice tomorrow; Washington is a very good team. They're ranked number 16 in the country. We're going to give it our best and once again grow from match to match."
"

Today's match is underway, and as might be expected the #16 Dawgs won the doubles point, but looks like there are some competitive singles matches ongoing..

Back