What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Possibly applicable for future years-

Edit - Clarification from tweeter -

So this would make it easier for kids to transfer, but the schools would be in the hook for the undergrad years? If this makes schools a little more leary of taking transfers, I'm in.

So this would make it easier for kids to transfer, but the schools would be in the hook for the undergrad years? If this makes schools a little more leary of taking transfers, I'm in.
This is another step towards the rich getting richer. Schools in the sec and big 10 who are getting 100m per year can afford to take transfers and risk having to pay tuition for players who don't work out. It will be riskier for the schools not making that money to take a transfer. Also, even if one of the "middle class" schools gets a good transfer, that guy looks to move up again the next season as players are now annual free agents.

It's a huge mess.

In basketball, it’s much harder to determine what is an upward transfer and what is a lateral or downward transfer. Is a transfer from Davidson to Kansas State up, down or sideways? Based on that, I’m a little skeptical of those stats.

In basketball, it’s much harder to determine what is an upward transfer and what is a lateral or downward transfer. Is a transfer from Davidson to Kansas State up, down or sideways? Based on that, I’m a little skeptical of those stats.
Also Power 6 transfers can't by definition transfer up. Additionally, there are guys who graduated who put their name in the portal just in case. I'm pretty sure we saw somewhere that Evan Battey put his name in the portal this off season.

But no doubt there are a lot of kids out there who aren't getting what they hoped by entering the portal.

That sucks that so many guys are unable to find a landing spot.
Wouldn’t that be the case regardless though?

Like in the olden days when players typically just down transferred they took roster spots away from players too. It’s not like roster sizes have changed. Or am I looking at this wrong?

Wouldn’t that be the case regardless though?

Like in the olden days when players typically just down transferred they took roster spots away from players too. It’s not like roster sizes have changed. Or am I looking at this wrong?
I don't know.

I think there were probably extra due to that Covid year being granted. That's got to be a chunk of it.

Beyond that, I believe this points to guys not having the opportunities they thought they would and maybe there's a preference to take a chance on a HS prospect vs bringing in a transfer.

Anyway, it seems to be a high percentage of portal guys not finding a new home.

Possibly applicable for future years-

Edit - Clarification from tweeter -

Wanted to note the NCAA has voted on official changes to transfer rules. (The below quotes are from the NCAA release at https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/arti...ivision-i-board-adopts-changes-transfer-rules)

A few things:

• Wanted to note, in what I believe is the final decision, at least for this year, it's been decided NOT to an allow an indefinite number of transfers (as was discussed in my prior post quoted above), but has (per the above NCAA link) "adopted new, more specific standards for immediate eligibility waivers for student-athletes who do not otherwise meet the one-time transfer exception, focusing on student-athlete well-being or circumstances outside the student-athlete's control"..
  • The athletes for each sport, based on which season their sports compete, now has a more limited designated window as to when they can enter the portal. For bball, looks like it's 60 days from the March Madness Selection Sunday bracket reveal show.
Full list of dates for each sport:

"
The board adopted the following notification-of-transfer windows:

• Fall sports: a 45-day window beginning the day after championships selections are made in their sport, or May 1-15.
    • Reasonable accommodations will be made for participants in the Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision championship games.
  • Winter sports: a 60-day window beginning the day after championships selections are made in the sport.
  • Spring sports: Dec. 1-15, or a 45-day window beginning the day after selections are made in the sport. The legislation also establishes exceptions to the new windows for student-athletes who experience head coach changes or have athletics aid reduced, canceled or not renewed.
"

Back