What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023/24 LACROSSE general off-season news thread (Season opener hosting the Louisville Cardinals Sunday, February 11th.)

Hopefully a Buff / #ForeverBuff or 2 will be Olympians in a new Olympic sport in 2028!

Congrats to the sport for the recignition, and hope it helps it grow even more.

Big 12 adding lacrosse. right now CU, Az St and Cinn only teams. Looking to get affiliate members

Of course I guess in the long run it doesn't matter much, but hope they're able to get to 6 teams in the conference sooner rather than later, as I believe that's the minimum number needed to qet an auto-qualifing spot for the Conference champion into the NCAA Tournament.

Of course I guess in the long run it doesn't matter much, but hope they're able to get to 6 teams into the conference sooner rather than later, as I believe that's the minimum number needed to qet an auto-qualifing spot for the Conference champion into the NCAA Tournament.
I imagine they think they will. I could see a couple of teams from the MPSF coming in like SDST and I hope they add some teams in the east for recruiting purposes. I also wonder if Stanford and Cal would chose the big 12 rather than travel to the ACC all th time. stanford might not care but I could see Call considering it

Given that the Big 12 just added WLAX, I'm thinking maybe Denver moves from the Big East to the Big 12. San Diego State and UC Davis were supposed to join the PAC but they could very well be on their way to the Big 12. With WLAX being an Oly sport for the 2028 LA Olys, perhaps there are some BIg 12 schools who could start up WLAX programs.

Women's soccer was added as an olympic sport in 1996 for the Atlanta Olympics and around that time, the number of colleges that hosted women's lacrosse blew up.

I'm hoping this has a similar impact on MLAX too in addition to WLAX.

Summary article after the team ends its off-season/ fall season -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/8/colorado-lacrosse-closes-out-fall-looks-ahead-to-regular-season

"
BOULDER — The Colorado Women's Lacrosse team wrapped up their fall schedule after concluding their final practices and lifts this week.

The Buffs played four exhibition games throughout the fall. CU started off the fall with an alumnae scrimmage, followed up by heading east to face the defending national champions Northwestern, and then the team played a match against Marquette in the same weekend.

Colorado played their final fall scrimmage against in-state rival Denver University at their place. Denver made it to the final four last year, making it a highly competitive fall for CU.

"We had a solid fall," said head coach Ann Elliott Whidden. "This is a great group of young women who are motivated to play for each other and compete everyday. We had the opportunity to play two of last years final four teams in Denver and Northwestern, plus another NCAA tournament team in Marquette. This competition helped us see where we were at and what areas we need to continue to focus at."

The team lost eight players after the 2023 season but have gained 10 newcomers, which includes nine freshmen and a transfer from Northwestern.

Aside from their three exhibition matches, the team took on, "The Program," which is instructed by an ex-Navy Seal, and it's the third year that Colorado lacrosse has participated in the leadership program. It took place over two days, and on the second day the team hiked up Mount Sanitas.

"Our group had the opportunity to do The Program right before Fall Break, and it was another great experience and challenge," Whidden stated. "Leadership will be key for us, along with a mentality to attack for our group. We have strong upperclassmen but also, strong underclassmen who we will need to rely on in a lot of areas if we want to win a championship. The Program really helped us see what roles players can fill and how each one is critical to our success."

"We have been practicing in December, after Thanksgiving break, for the first time in many years. It has been awesome as this group is highly motivated right now, and we are able to focus on some key concepts that will help us get off to a strong start in January," Whidden concluded.

The Colorado Lacrosse regular season schedule is expected to release in the next week.
"

Initial schedule released. (With the addition of SDSU and UC-Davis to the Pac 12 this final season, looks like each conference foe will only be playing each other once vs. the home and home that's happened every other season.)

Team is in its official final pre-season grind as they've begin practicing with their season ~3 weeks away, starting with their season opener (at home) vs. the Louisville Cardinals scheduled for Saturday, February 11th.

Go Buffs!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Buffs not included either individually or as a team, but a couple predictive pre-season articles from U.S. Lacrosse Magazine:

All-American teams - https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/coll...024-division-i-womens-preseason-all-americans

Top 20 - https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/coll...a-lacrosse-division-i-womens-preseason-top-20
(The Buff's 2nd opponent (and 1st road game opponent), Penn State, is #14. AND,in a HUGE upcoming home game opportunity for the Buffs in their 4th game, they face off against pre-season #1 and defending national champions (and Coach Elliott Whidden's alma mater) Northwestern on Thursday, Feb. 22nd. They are also scheduled to play #17 Michigan later in the preseason. (Don't know if it's a wierd scheduling thing or an error, but the cubuffs.com schedule currently has the Buffs playing Central Michigan in Ann Arbor, while playing Michigan itself in Central Michigan's home city (Mount Pleasant.) Conference-wise, looks like USC, at #16, is the only Pac 12 team listed in the poll.)

Back