What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023/24 MEN'S GOLF pre-season and season news, results and discussion (Team in Carefree, AZ for Pac 12 Championships 4/26-28)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
With men's golf being one of those Buff sports that has MANY tournaments in both the fall and spring semesters, I wanted to set up a thread that as normal we can use to cover anything that comes up on and off the course related to the team up through the Pac 12 Championships (scheduled to begin April 26th, 2024). (I'll give the NCAA Championships their own thread if/ when the Buffs team earn a regional berth.)

I'm starting this thread now as I see the team has released its current year schedule (https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-golf/schedule/2023-24) Per that, the 1st tournament is scheduled to be in Scottsdale from Sept. 8-10.

A tweet with the schedule as it now stands -

Last edited:
Congrats to him, and cool this big tourney will be close to a "home" competition for him.

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/7/10/mens-golf-mcdermott-earns-return-trip-to-us-amateur.aspx

"
GRANITE BAY, Calif. — University of Colorado sophomore Dylan McDermott has advanced to the U.S. Amateur for the second year in row, as he earned medalist honors in the final qualifying stage for the event here Monday with a 71-64—135 scorecard.

McDermott, who entered the week as the 163rd ranked amateur in the world, was tied for 11th after opening with an even-par 71 in the morning on the 6,889-yard Granite Bay Golf Club; though McDermott hails from Granite Bay, this wasn't his home course as he plays out of Winchester Country Club. He started with a par on No. 1, but scored a double bogey on No. 2; he got one stroke back by birdying N. 4 and then parred out on the front side; on the back nine, he scored three birdies against two bogeys, his last bird coming on No. 17 to get back to even for the first 18. He was five off the lead at that point.

He caught fire the second time around the GBGC track, firing a sizzling 7-under 64 starting on No. 10 and making birdies on Nos. 13 and 15 to rise into a tie for third. McDermott then opened up front side with birdies on Nos. 1, 2 and 4 to assume the lead and then split from the pack with two more birds on Nos. 6 and 7. He led all players with 11 birdies while recording 22 pars with just three holes worse than par; he also played the par-4 holes the best at 4-under. His 7-under 135 scorecard in the end earned him first place and a four-stroke win over three players at 3-under 139. Only nine players finished under par and none at even in the 74-man field.

The 7-under, bogey free round matched his best effort in competition related to par almost three years to the day, as he had 7-under 65 in the July 2020 AJGA Dana Incorporated Open in Sylvania, Ohio. The 64 is his low gross score, as he has two 65's as a collegian (both 5-under efforts) along with the Sylvania effort.

The top two finishers here Monday advanced, with two others in alternate positions. On qualifying a second consecutive year, he felt he really earned it this year.

"It's really awesome," McDermott said. "I have to admit that last year, I didn't quite feel like I fully deserved it, the guy I was playing didn't finish strong and I wasn't playing my best. Today, things really came together after that early double. I didn't feel any pressure at that point, because I knew that I definitely had what it took to make it, I just needed to be patient. My swing coach (and his caddy, Phil Dawson) told me to be patient and the putts would start falling. This was a really good way to cap my sophomore year."

Now he gets to participate in the U.S. Amateur in the state he calls home for his collegiate career, August 14-20 at Cherry Hills Country Club and Colorado Golf Club.

I'm very excited for that he said, and the fact that I get to stay in my own apartment is really appealing to me," he mused. "The course here was literally next to my house and I grew up on it – it was my home course for about 10-12 years, so it was cool to play here, even though there was a complete renovation. But it felt like home even though I haven't been a member here for four years, I wouldn't have wanted to do it anywhere else."

McDermott is the eighth-known Buffalo to qualify for the championship portion of U.S. Amateur, dating back to 1967 when Jim English tied for 38th in the event, which was in an eight-year period as a stroke play competition. Bill Musselman competed in the same format in 1972 (tying for 33rd), and since 1973 when the Amateur returned to a stroke play qualifier and then a 64-man match play, five Buffs have qualified: Steve Jones (1980), Matt Potter (1988), Scott Petersen (1992), David Oraee (2015) and McDermott's teammate Justin Biwer (2022). Potter, Oraee and Biwer all won two matches, reaching the round of 16 before being eliminated.
"

Congrats to the incoming Buff!

Article link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/7/14/mens-golf-golf-recruit-knight-qualifies-for-us-amateur.aspx

"
PLEASANTON, Calif. — University of Colorado freshman recruit Brandon Knight utilized an incredible final nine holes to finish second in qualifying for the U.S. Amateur here Thursday.

Knight, who is one of three incoming recruits for coach Roy Edwards' Buffaloes, recorded a 70-64—134 scorecard, 10-under par, in earning runner-up honors, as the top two finishers earned berths into next month's U.S. Amateur. Starting the second round on No. 10, he was 3-under through 27 holes, having lost a stroke when he bogeyed No. 18.

At that point, saying he caught fire is an understatement. He proceeded to birdie on the first five holes (1 through 5) and added two more on Nos. 7 and 9 for a 29 on the side. He had 14 birdies over the two rounds to lead the 66-man field, which saw 20 players finish under par and another three finishing even.

"Simply great playing and focus by Brandon on the back nine to qualify," said Edwards. "He's established himself already as one of the top amateurs in California. And playing in the U.S. Amateur just down the road in Denver will be a great unofficial start to his Buffalo career."

Mitchell Hoey a junior at St. Mary's, was the medalist, carding a pair of 66s for a 12-under 132 to best Knight by two strokes on the 6,731-yard, par-72 Castlewood Country Club course.

Knight, from Foothill High School in Pleasanton, was the '22 California State champion, won the San Francisco City Championship, going 5-0 in match play with a 1-up victory over Hoey, in the 36-hole final at TPC Harding Park. He most recently finished 17th in the California State Amateur (though all but two finishers ahead of him are either already seasoned collegians or older).

Knight will join CU junior-to-be Dylan McDermott in the event, the ninth-known time at least two Buffaloes, either enrolled at the time or eventual team members, will play the event. McDermott was joined by fellow sophomore a year ago, Justin Biwer, who advanced to the round of 16. Another current Buff, Robby Keilch, qualified in 2001 as a senior in high school. Associate head coach Derek Tolan qualified three times, joining Ben Portie in 2001, Derek O'Neill in 2002 and Justin Bardgett in 2009.

The pair could be joined by other Buffaloes, as Keilch will attempt to qualify on Monday in California with current juniors-to-be Tucker Clark and Jack Holland and sophomore-to-be Hunter Swanson to try on July 24 at Commonground Golf Course in Aurora.

In all, 312 golfers will compete next month in the 123rd U.S. Amateur, which has returned to Colorado for the first time since 2012 and for the fifth time overall. Two days of stroke play will take place August 14-15 at Cherry Hills Country Club and Colorado Golf Club, with five days of match play commencing Aug. 16 leading up to a 36-hole championship match at Cherry Hills on Sunday, Aug. 20. Cherry Hills also hosted the event in 1990 and 2012, with the Broadmoor doing so the first two occasions in 1959 and 1967.
"

Another Buff (this time a #ForeverBuff) qualifying for the Amateur!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/7/25/mens-golf-third-golfer-with-cu-ties-qualifies-for-us-amateur.aspx

"
FORT COLLINS — Former University of Colorado golfer and assistant coach Patrick Grady won a playoff for the second and final qualifying spot here Tuesday, giving the Buffs a third player to represent the school in next month's U.S. Amateur.

Grady, who graduated from CU in 2009, turned in a 6-under par 69-67—136 scorecard on Collindale Golf Course's 7,157-yard, par-71 configuration. Hovering between second place, the last qualifying spot, and third, the first alternate position for much of the last nine holes, dueling with Lucas Howell, who caught Grady after he birdied No. 15. Both birdied 16 and then the duo bogeyed 18, forcing a playoff on the par-5, 10th hole.

Grady, who said at that point he was "really pumped up," drove the green on the 539-yard hole in two, using a 3-wood off the tee and an 8-iron to about 10 feet from the pin. Howell reached in three and was 11 feet away and missed his try at birdie; Grady's eagle putt was a couple of inches short and he tapped in for a birdie and earned the second qualifying spot in the process.

CU Colorado Springs former player and graduate Colin Prater was the medalist with a 66-68—134 effort, 8-under par.

When asked how much he has played this summer, Grady, a certified public accountant, retorted with a laugh, "More than my wife knows. Probably around 25 rounds this year, but I start late because I work a lot through tax season." Grady finished the day with 11 birdies, 21 pars, three bogeys and one double bogey.

Junior-to-be Tucker Clark finished 14 (70-72—142) and incoming frosh Ty Holbrook tied for 15th (70-73—143) also here Tuesday. Spencer Painton, an '18 grad, tied for 11th with a 71-70—141 effort. Former Buff Cole Krantz carded a 72-75—147 scorecard and former CU placekicker turned golfer Aric Goodman recorded a pair of 76s for a 10-over 152.

Grady will join CU junior-to-be Dylan McDermott and incoming freshman Brandon Knight in the event, the third time three or more Buffaloes have qualified for the most prestigious amateur event in the world. In 1999, four Buffaloes qualified, three on that current team, Matt Call, Brandon Tompkins and Matt Zions along with alum Dirk Fennie ('91); and in 1984, team members Matt Potter and Todd Wood were joined by '72 alum Davis Driver. All seven, however, missed the cut and did not advance into match play.

In all, 312 golfers will compete next month in the 123rd U.S. Amateur, which has returned to Colorado for the first time since 2012 and for the fifth time overall. Two days of stroke play will take place August 14-15 at Cherry Hills Country Club and Colorado Golf Club, with five days of match play commencing Aug. 16 leading up to a 36-hole championship match at Cherry Hills on Sunday, Aug. 20. Cherry Hills also hosted the event in 1990 and 2012, with the Broadmoor doing so the first two occasions in 1959 and 1967.

On joining two other Buffaloes at Cherry Hills, Grady said, "That's awesome, especially it being right here in Denver. Cherry Hills fits my game because it's not too long -- some of these college kids can really bomb it off the tee. I love Cherry Hills, I've probably played in eight or 10 times and I love it."

This was his fifth attempt at qualifying for the U.S. Amateur; his first was in 2004 and that is where he met then head coach and the late Mark Simpson, which eventually led to him joining the Buffaloes.

IVAN QUALIFIES FOR U.S. SENIOR AMATEUR

GREELEY -- On Monday, 1984 CU graduate Steve Ivan earned the fourth and final qualifying spot in a playoff for next month's U.S. Senior Amateur.
Ivan shot a 33-40--73, 3-over par, at Greeley Country Club. He defeated Broomfield's Ted Kreider in a playoff to earn the fourth and last qualifying position.

Ivan fell behind Kreider by one stroke after he bogeyed Nos. 15 and 16, but parred out; Kreider bogeyed 18 and the playoff was on. Both made par on
the first playoff hole (No. 1), and then some adventure on the second hole, No. 18.

"18 is a shortish devilish hole," Ivan said. "I hit a hybrid off the tee, then a 7-iron pushed into the right side bunker. Ted hit his drive to the right in the 'chickweed' and it was sitting down. He chunked his second shot into the hazard, took his drop and hit that into the front bunker with me. I hit my bunker shot first to about four feet above the hole, but proceeded to hole out the bunker shot for a 5. I made my putt, a downhill slider to the right. Elation!"

Ivan won the Dick Billehus Invitation two weeks ago on the same course, so he had some very recent familiarity with it. It was the 15th time a Buffalo, current or an alum, won the event, Ivan the first to do so since Jim Grady in 2007.

A few other CU alums tried their hand at qualifying but came up a bit short: and Mike Glaesel ('89) and D.J. Morris ('93) carded 76s and Davis Driver ('72) shot an 82.

The U.S. Senior Amateur is slated for August 26-31 at Martis Camp's Lake Tahoe Golf Course in Trucktee, Calif..

"

Info on the team's benefit late this month.

Link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/7/31/mens-golf-colorado-golf-day-set-for-august-28.aspx

"
BOULDER — The 14th Annual Colorado Golf Day, the main fundraising event for the University of Colorado men's golf team, is set for Monday, August 28, with Boulder Country Club once again serving as host.

Participants have the opportunity to play the course that has previously hosted the men's and women's Pac-12 Conference championships as well as several of the state's top amateur tournaments throughout its history.

"This event has continued to serve as a terrific way to start the season since its creation," said Roy Edwards, CU's head men's golf coach. "We are excited that Boulder Country Club will again host Colorado Golf Day this fall, our important fundraiser for the men's golf team. Everyone enjoys the course and the opportunity to meet the team."

The format is a four-person "shamble" with a 1:30 p.m. shotgun start, and entry fees include lunch, soft drinks, a heavy appetizer awards reception and prizes (a shamble is where everyone tees off, but then everyone plays in from the location of the best drive). Also included is membership in the Colorado Golf Partners booster program. It all starts with registration, lunch and the start of the silent auction at 11:30 a.m.

Individual entry fees are $450, with a team of four costing $1,800; players can compete as individuals or for their businesses, but also can compete with three others on behalf of their designated golf club (members, pros, staff members, etc.) and the winning team will receive a rotating trophy to be on display at their club.

There are also several sponsorship opportunities available (hole and title sponsors at various donation amounts), along with many great auction items to bid on as well. All net proceeds from the event go to the Men's Golf Team Excellence Fund to help defray assorted expenses over the course of the season. Those interested in helping support the team don't need to play by choosing to donate one of the sponsorship choices.

For more information on the event and to consider becoming a sponsor, please contact head coach Roy Edwards at roy.edwards@colorado.edu. You can register for Colorado Golf Day directly at https://cvent.me/P9Gbev and click on the registration link at the bottom of the page.

(The 2023-24 Buffaloes return six lettermen from last year's team, which finished third in both the Pac-12 Championship and NCAA Central Regional before placing 21st in the NCAA Finals. The team is still fairly young, as four sophomores led the team down the stretch last spring: Dylan McDermott, Justin Biwer, Tucker Clark and Jack Holland along with freshman Hunter Swanson. McDermott, who has qualified for the U.S. Amateur along with freshman recruit Brandon Knight, led the team in an astounding 36 statistical categories, including setting 10 school records. Academically, the team has now recorded five straight semesters over a 3.0 grade point average.)
"

Leaderboard - https://championships.usga.org/usamateur/2023/scoring.html

Edit-
Format looks to be the same as the recently completed U.S. Women's Amateur I posted about in the women's golf thread. Namely, the 1st 2 days consist of stroke play, with the top 64 scorers after tomorrow's 2nd round going onto the (single elimination) match play portion that begins Wednesday.

The stroke play portion is split between 2 courses, Colorado Golf Club in Parker and Cherry Hills, with all the match play at Cherry Hills.

Looking at the recruiting thread (see post # 683 at https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/recruiting-news-olympic-sports.101643/page-23#post-3289557), looks like the 2024 verbal Buff commitment competing is Wyomingite Parker Paxton.

As I type this, leaderboard is showing Buffs at:
Paxton - Tied for 53rd at +1 through 10
Grady - Finished his 1st round at +4, which at this second places him in a tie for 93rd.
McDermott - In a tie for 35th with his even score through 15 holes.
Knight's 1st round is supposed to start in ~10 minutes.

Note - Championships schedule is as follows (per https://championships.usga.org/usamateur/2023/articles/fast-facts-for-2023-u-s--amateur.html):
Monday, Aug. 14 (18 holes, stroke play)
Tuesday, Aug. 15 (18 holes, stroke play)
Wednesday, Aug. 16 (Round of 64, match play)
Thursday, Aug. 17 (Round of 32/16 matches)
Friday, Aug. 18 (Quarterfinal matches)
Saturday, Aug. 19 (Semifinal matches)
Sunday, Aug. 20 (36-hole championship match)

Video viewing schedule is (All times below EASTERN. From same webpage as the one above):
Wednesday, August 16 (Round of 64)
5 p.m.-6 p.m. (Peacock)
6 p.m.-8 p.m. (Golf Channel)
Thursday, August 17 (Round of 16)
6 p.m.-7 p.m. (Peacock)
7 p.m.-9 p.m. (Golf Channel)
Friday, August 18 (Quarterfinals)
5 p.m.-6 p.m. (Peacock)
6 p.m.-8 p.m. (Golf Channel)
Saturday, August 19 (Semifinals)
3 p.m.-4 p.m. (Golf Channel)
4 p.m.-6 p.m. (NBC)
Sunday, August 20 (Championship Match)
3 p.m.-4 p.m. (Golf Channel)
4 p.m.-6 p.m. (NBC)

Last edited:
Preview for the 1st tourney of the (academic) year, scheduled to begin Friday in Scottsdale - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/5/mens-golfers-open-season-this-week.aspx

"
BOULDER — The University of Colorado men's golf team will open the fall portion of its schedule this Thursday, competing in the prestigious Mirabel Maui Jim Intercollegiate in Scottsdale, Ariz.

A full five-man team and two non-scoring individuals will open the season this Friday in the Maui Jim, with temperature forecast each day to be in the 110-degree range, give or take, with no precipitation and minimal winds. Two individuals actually kick off CU's season in the Colorado State Ram Masters Invitational in Fort Collins on Wednesday and Thursday, where it will be much cooler, in the upper 80s.

The Mirabel Maui Jim will take place on the 7,147-yard, par-71 Mirabel Club course layout, with entrants playing 18 holes Friday through Sunday; the approximately three dozen individuals competing will play separately and just Friday (18 holes) and Saturday (36 holes) at the Legend Trail Golf Club, which will feature a 6,845-yard, par-72 configuration. In the Rams' meet, Fort Collins Country Club will play to a par-70 covering 7,218-yards.

Colorado is coming off its best season under head coach Roy Edwards, who begins his 18th season at the reins of the program. The Buffaloes finished third in both the Pac-12 Conference and NCAA Central (Norman) Regional and went on to finish 21st in the NCAA Championship Finals.

"The Maui Jim always has a really good field, with a lot of top level teams with some good mid-major programs, definitely a stern test and a good way to start the season," said CU head coach Roy Edwards. "We've got a really strong lineup this year, from one through 10, and that was shown in our qualifying that was very close. It a motivated, deep team with several guys who played a lot of good golf this summer.

"We're looking to build on what we did last season, and we will do that by competing and believing in ourselves. Really focusing on our short game.

This is just the second time the Buffs will play in the Mirabel Maui Jim Invitational, having played in the shortened 2019-20 season due to COVID. Colorado finished 14th that year, but had a much more inexperienced team that the squad that will travel to Scottsdale this year. The team departs Wednesday afternoon for Arizona.

The field will be solid test of where the Buffaloes stand from the get-go, one of those rare events where there is at least one team from each time zone. Though obviously there has been some roster turnover, there are still 10 top 75 teams from a year ago in the 15-team field, including four in the top 25 and eight in the top 50; just over 300 programs compete in men's college golf.

Auburn headlines the participants, as the Tigers were ninth in the final 2022-23 rankings. The remainder of the field includes Oregon (No. 20), San Diego State (No. 25), Ohio State (No. 28), Missouri (No. 42), New Mexico (No. 43), Arkansas-Little Rock (No. 47), Colorado (No. 48), SMU (No. 63), UNLV (No. 75), Fresno State (No. 84), Santa Clara (No. 100), Mercer (No. 113), Texas State (No. 117) and Georgia State (No. 164).

Edwards held qualifying last week into Sunday, with five juniors selected for the team make-up for the Maui Jim: Justin Biwer, Tucker Clark, Frederik Eisenbeis, Jack Holland and Dylan McDermott. The two individuals competing in the sidebar event are sophomore Hunter Swanson and true freshman Brandon Knight. McDermott led the team last year and Biwer the year before; between the two they set 29 school records over the last 24 months. CU's 1-2 punch are among the top ranked amateurs in the United States and the world, as in the WAGR rankings of August 30, McDermott is 120th (but the 58th American) and Biwer 318th (No. 136 in the U.S.).

Eisenbeis was on fire in the qualifying, turning in an 11-under par 71-61—132 between the two rounds at Boulder Country Club and Colorado National Golf Club.

In Fort Collins, sophomore Robby Keilch and true freshman Ty Holbrook will represent the Buffaloes competing as individuals in the 11-team event. Individuals in the meet will tee off on Nos. 7, 12 and 18 at 8 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday and on No. 10 between 8 and 8:36 a.m. on Thursday.

"The team has a nice range of experience, despite having no seniors," Edwards said. "The seven guys returning are all seasoned, and most played in every tournament they could have. The three freshmen all have solid amateur experience as well. The lineup we're starting with at the Maui Jim is sort of a rarity, with all being in the same class of eligibility (five juniors)."

In the Maui Jim, CU will be paired with Missouri and New Mexico for the first two rounds, teeing off Friday on the No. 1 tee starting at 8:50 a.m. MDT., and then off the No. 10 tee Saturday, also at 8:50. An added bonus, which was also the case in CU's Mark Simpson Invitational last October, the individual winner will receive an exemption into a 2024-25 Korn Ferry Tour event; a representative from the tour will work with the winner to determine the event of choice.
"

Results of the team's internal qualifying tourney the team used to determine who plays as part of the official team whose score counts towards the team battle -

Link to live scoring for the Friday- Sunday tourney - Can't find as I type this.

Looks like a decent 1st round to open up the 2023/24 campaign.

Link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/8/m...ghth-in-mirabel-maui-jim-intercollegiate.aspx

"
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The University of Colorado men's golf team opened its 2023-24 season here Friday by opening in a tie for eighth place in the Mirabel Maui Jim Intercollegiate.

Auburn, ranked No. 6 in the preseason Bushnell/GCAA Coaches poll, played like its ranking, taking the first round lead with a 24-under par 260 team score. No. 30 San Diego State is three back (263), with SMU six off the lead (266). No. 22 Oregon (270) and Fresno State (273) round out the top five. Colorado is tied with three others with 279 totals.

The 5-under par effort was CU's best opening round of a season since 2012, when the Buffaloes opened with a 7-under 281 en route to winning the Air Force Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational.

All five of CU's players in the main event here are juniors; a sidebar event is the Maui Jim Individual, with two additional Buffs on the trip playing in that 35-man field.

"Justin had a nice round – he was in full control most of the day," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "The rest of the guys labored a bit, but they did a really nice job grinding and competing to post a decent score after a tough start. We didn't see a lot of putts drop today, but if we stay patient I would expect that to change the last two rounds.

"On the individual side, Brandon had a great start to his CU career and Hunter played well too."

The second round is set for Saturday, with Colorado again paired with Missouri and New Mexico and will begin play at 8:50 a.m. off the No. 10 tee. The 15-team field will be repaired for Sunday's final round which gets underway at 7 a.m.

NOTES: The average score Friday in the main event was 69.93, with 31 breaking par and another nine at even-par … In the individual event, the 35 players averaged 72.34 (15 under par, five even) … The five designated scorers played the par-4 and par-5 holes the best (3-under), but were 3-over on the par-3s … The Buffalo seven combined for an eagle, 24 birdies and 87 pars opposite 12 bogeys and two doubles over 126 holes … The individual portion of the event will be completed Saturday with 36 holes.
"

Article after the 4 Buffs competed in a non-team tourney in Phoenix - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/9/19/Leadership_and_Golf_Invitational_Post_Rnd_3_Stats_Sheets.pdf

"
PHOENIX —Four University of Colorado men's golfers wrapped up competition here Tuesday as the inaugural Arizona State Papago Individual came to a close.

Junior Frederik Eisenbeis led the Buffaloes overall, as he tied for 20th with an 8-over 221 scorecard after recording a final round 76 on the 7,551-yard, par-71 Papago Golf Course layout. He made the turn even and was in position to crack the top 10, but ran into trouble as he bogeyed No. 10 and then double bogeyed No. 12, both par-4s. He had one birdie for the round (six for the event) and 12 pars, with his 35 pars overall tying for the eighth-most in the 34-man field.

While the weather was perfect, the pin placements for the final round were very tough and the greens were firm and fast, leading scores to increase over two strokes on the average than Monday's second round.

Junior Tucker Clark was unfazed by the challenge, as he tied for 24th after turning in the best round by a Buff here this week, finishing with a 1-under 70 for a 9-over 222 scorecard. He had three birdies and 13 pars with two bogeys on his day, as his 70 tied for the third-best score in the final round, with just two players barely besting it (one 68, one 69). He had six birdies and 33 pars all told, the latter tying for 12th-most in the field. He played the par-4s at 3-over, tied for ninth-best.

Freshman Ty Holbrook fashioned a 3-over 74, his best round here, as he tied for 27th with a 12-over 225 score. He had three birdies and 10 pars against four bogeys and a double to finish up, with his 10 birdies overall the most by a Buffalo (and tying for the ninth-most in the field). Like Clark, he played the par-3s and par-5s even Tuesday, and was 3-under on the latter for the two days.

Sophomore Robby Keilch had his struggles in the final round as he closed with a 13-over 84 that tied him for 30th with an 18-over 231 total. After matching par in the second round, he never got going Tuesday as he bogeyed three of his first five holes and had to count two triples and a quadruple bogey. He closed with a single bogey (seven for the meet) with 10 pars (30 overall).

Arizona State's Gabriel Salvanera earned medalist honors, as he led wire-to-wire in winning with a 12-under par score of 201; he finished up with an even-par 71 Tuesday to defeat Texas Tech's Ben Gregg by six strokes.

The Buffaloes return to action as a team next Monday in New Mexico's William H. Tucker Invitational in Albuquerque; two rounds on day one and the final 18 on Tuesday.

NOTES: It was about 10 degrees cooler Tuesday than the opening rounds, the temperature reaching 92 degrees when the event concluded shortly before 1 p.m. local time … The average score for Tuesday's 34 rounds ballooned to 74.35, over two strokes higher than the second round and increased the overall mark for the three days to 73.21 (it was 73.09 for the first round and 72.18 for the second) … Overall, only five players bested par while two others equaled it, while just two other players matched Clark's 1-under effort in the final round (five subpar, three even rounds) … Eleven schools sent players here to comprise the 34-man field: CU, Arizona, Houston and Oklahoma State had four competing; ASU, Tennessee, Texas Tech and Utah Tech had three; and BYU, North Carolina and Texas two each … The format of this event has become popular around the country, as individual tournaments are springing up to allow more players to compete without any team competition, which counts against the number of competition days a school can play (24, the same allowable maximum for players with a few exceptions).
"

Article after yesterday's 36 holes - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/25/...th-in-new-mexicos-tucker-intercollegiate.aspx

"
ALBUQUERQUE — The University of Colorado men's golf team is wedged in the middle of the standings of the 68th annual New Mexico William H. Tucker Intercollegiate, as the Buffaloes are in 11th place after two rounds were completed here Monday.

Texas Tech owns a slim two-stroke lead over host New Mexico, as the Red Raiders posted an 18-under par 558 team score while the Lobos are in at 16-under 560. Several are within striking distance, as San Francisco (562), San Diego State (563) Nevada-Las Vegas (567) and Long Beach State (568) are also within 10 strokes.

The Buffaloes had a team score of 1-over 577, good for 11th place, but seven strokes out of seventh in the deep 20-team field. Colorado was 11th after the first round, when its four scorers posted a 2-over 290 team total; they improved three strokes in the afternoon (1-under 287), which was the average second round score in the field.

Junior Justin Biwer led the CU attack on Monday, scoring a pair of subpar rounds with a 69-71—140 scorecard (4-under par), which has him tied for 12th. He had two similar rounds, with three birdies and two bogeys in each; the difference was in the morning, when he recorded an eagle on the 544-yard par-5 1st hole as compared to scoring a par in the afternoon. Otherwise he had 12 pars each time around the 7,546-yard, par-72 UNM Championship Course.

"The guys competed well despite not having our best today," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "Justin, in particular, did a really good job all day of doing that. A little better in the afternoon and cut down on big numbers, but we were just held back by letting some shots go on and around the greens. We expect a good round tomorrow."

The third and final round is set for Tuesday morning with a 7:45 a.m. shotgun start; four Buffs will be paired with four Wyoming Cowboys starting on holes 14 and 15; Biwer will start on 13 with the top players from Kansas State, USC and Wyoming in his foursome.

The Buffaloes will return to action in a week, hosting the 13th annual Mark Simpson-CU Invitational at Colorado National Golf Club in Erie (next Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 2-3).
"

Article after the team finished their latest tourney yesterday. (Next up is a HOME (in Erie) tourney scheduled for Oct. 2nd-3rd.) - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/26/mens-golfers-finish-11th-in-new-mexicos-tucker.aspx

"
ALBUQUERQUE — The University of Colorado men's golf team started off on a roll here Tuesday but had its struggles down the stretch as the Buffaloes finished the day in the same place it started – 11th place – as the 68th annual New Mexico William H. Tucker Intercollegiate came to a close.

Host New Mexico rallied to claim its home tournament, recording the best team round of the day (13-under 275) to win with a 29-under 835 score. That edged second round leader Texas Tech by three strokes (838); those to separated themselves early from the pack, as San Diego State (850), San Francisco (852) and Nevada-Las Vegas (853) rounded out the top five.

The Buffaloes finished up with a 1-over 289 team score Tuesday, giving them a 2-over 866 for the three rounds. The day started out on a high note, as at one point, CU moved into sixth place and was only three strokes out of third after being 8-under just about halfway through the round. But down the stretch, CU's scorers had 10 bogeys, a double- and triple-bogey while scoring just six birdies.

"It was a tale of two rounds," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "We really had it going and were in great position for a nice finish, but made too many mistakes coming in. We did have some good stuff to build on, but we simply need to get more production and better play from other than the top three guys on the team. We are counting scores that are too high, which is mostly due to inconsistent short game. It's the most talented team I've ever been a part of and I am looking forward to seeing a few guys step up."

Juniors Justin Biwer and Dylan McDermott and sophomore Hunter Swanson all tied for 18th in the final standings with 2-under par 214 scores on the 7,546-yard, par-72 UNM Championship Course.

The Buffaloes will return to action in a week, hosting the 13th annual Mark Simpson-CU Invitational at Colorado National Golf Club in Erie (next Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 2-3).
"

Article from yesterday after the team finished 2nd (out of 17) at the tourney it hosted in Erie. - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/10/3/...cond-in-own-mark-simpson-cu-invitational.aspx

"
Men's Golf October 03, 2023 David Plati, SID-Emeritus/Athletic Historian

Golfers Finish Second In Own Mark Simpson-CU Invitational​

Buffs record best score in final round, fall just short of title

ERIE — The University of Colorado men's golf team recorded the best score in the final round by some seven strokes but the Buffaloes came up just short of the title in finishing second here Tuesday in its own 13th annual Mark Simpson-Colorado Invitational.

San Francisco led from wire-to-wire in claiming the title with a 19-under par 845 team score. Colorado, which started the day nine back of the lead and in fourth place, made its move after a slow start with a tremendous charge on the back nine, assuming the lead on several occasions by either one or two strokes. In the end, it couldn't overtake the Dons and finished with a 17-under 847 score. Texas-El Paso and Colorado State tied for third with 10-under 854 scores, with Washington State rounding out the top five (859).

Starting on the front nine (holes 4 through 7), the five designated scorers got off to a rough start, and we a collective 6-over three-to-six holes in (plus-3 net); then the quintet caught fire, between them scoring an eagle and 14 birdies with just two birdies to take a one-stroke lead over San Francisco with four-to-six holes remaining. USF grabbed the lead back briefly, then the two were tied for a bit and then see-sawed in and out first, until the Dons four scorers on the day played the 17th hole 5-under, scoring an eagle and three birdies to hold off the CU charge.

"I'm proud of the run today by the team, though again got off to a bit of a rocky start," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "But then we really played well the last 10 to 12 holes. Any time you're seven (strokes) clear of the field, you've had a good day. And that was in addition to the course being set up much harder today, and it was even tougher because of the wind."

Colorado had three players finish in the top 10 for the first time since the 2018 Simpson, and for the 30th time overall; it was the eighth time three Buffs finished in the top six, also since the '18 event named for its late former coach.

"Overall, really good tournaments from Justin, Dylan and Hunter, and freshman Brandon (Knight) had some really good moments as well," Edwards said. "I'm really encouraged about the progress of the team. We really didn't play that great today, but our short game allowed us to shoot a lower score. The guys have really been working hard at that and it's always good to see hard work be rewarded.

"Jack, Robby, Tucker and Ty all had their best rounds today, so we're seeing some good signs form the entire roster and developing depth"

Mercer's Tobias Jonsson, the co-leader through 36 holes, claimed medalist honors after closing with a 3-under 69 for a 9-under 207 total. That bested Biwer by one shot and three others by three strokes.

Colorado has two remaining team events in its fall season, as next up is the Fallen Oak Collegiate Invitational Oct. 15-17 in Biloxi, Miss.; there are three tri-hosts of the event: Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Southern Mississippi.

BUFFALO INDIVIDUALS
2. Justin Biwer 71-68-70—209
T6. Hunter Swanson 72-68-71—211
T6. Dylan McDermott 71-72-68—211
T26. *Jack Holland 74-70-72—216
T26. Brandon Knight 71-74-71—216
T35. *Robby Keilch 75-72-71—218
T41. *Tucker Clark 71-76-72—219
T68. Frederik Eisenbeis 76-76-74—226
T73. *Ty Holbrook 79-74-74—227

TEAM STANDINGS
1. San Francisco 276-282-287—845
2. COLORADO 285-282-280—847
T3. Texas-El Paso 281-284-289—854
T3. Colorado State 283-283-288—854
5. Washington State 282-289-288—859
6. Northern Colorado 285-286-293—864
7. Nevada 280-293-292—865
8. Wyoming 289-290-287—866
9. Mercer 288-288-291—867
T10. Valparaiso 287-302-290—879
T10. Grand Canyon 290-293-296—879
12. UT-Arlington 290-292-298—880
13. Denver 293-290-298—881
14. Utah Valley 294-293-297—884
15. Rice 293-294-299—886
16. Boise State 291-291-312—894
17. Air Force 301-308-305—914

"

Full leaderboard - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/10/3/CU-Mark_Simpson_Final_Results.pdf

The team finished middle of the pack (6th out of 12) at the tournament that ended yesterday. Coaches probably not thrilled that the Buffs had the 3rd highest round of the final day, but looks like pretty much a "par finish", as they finished behind only 1 team ranked behind them, and finished ahead of 1 team ranked ahead of them.

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/10/17/mens-golf-golfers-finish-sixth-in-fallen-oaks-collegiate.aspx

"
SAUCIER, Miss. — The University of Colorado men's golf team had rough stretch in the middle of the final round here Tuesday, and in the process slipped to a sixth place finish in the inaugural Fallen Oak Collegiate Invitational.

No. 2-ranked Auburn ran away from the field in the final round, as the Tigers shot the best single round of the event Tuesday with a 10-unver 278; that gave them an overall team score of 21-under 843. Leading by six heading into the final round, Auburn would defeat tri-host Mississippi by 19 strokes. The Rebels finished with an 862 score, the only other team under par for the event, with tri-host Mississippi State finishing third (865).

Colorado entered the final round in fourth and got off to a decent start – 2-under par early on – but eventually finished with an 11-over 299 score for the round and a 19-over 883 overall. A triple bogey and three doubles over a four-hole span sent the Buffaloes into over-par numbers for the remainder of the round. No. 29 SMU leapfrogged the Buffaloes into fourth (873) and Kansas took fifth (875).

"We were in a good position through just short of the turn and just had a brutal stretch through the middle part of the round," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "We are seeing so much good golf and will put it all together soon. The guys really compete and stay in the rounds. That will pay off in the long run."

SMU's Matthew Foster claimed medalist honors, closing with a 4-under 68 and an overall effort of 8-under 208, which was good for a one stroke win over Auburn's Jackson Kolvun.

The Buffaloes have one more event to close out the fall portion of their schedule, as in less than two weeks (Oct. 26-28), CU will travel to Maui to play in the Ka'anapali Classic Collegiate for the third straight year. Colorado has fared well in the meet, finishing second in 2021 and tying for fourth last year.
"

The team had a tough 1st couple of rounds that ended up burying them WAY down the leaderboard after the 1st 2 days of the Maui tournament, but at least they ended strong on the 3rd day with the best round (-12) of any team that didn't end in the overall top 7. (They finished only 1 stroke behind the 2 teams that ended up tied for 1st overall (Oklahoma and Middle Tennessee) in today's round, but finished 43 strokes behind them for the whole tournament while finishing in 17th out of the 20 teams competing.)

Article after the fall season concluding tourney that ended yesterday - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/10/28...sh-17th-in-ka-anapali-collegiate-classic.aspx

"
LAHAINA, Maui — The University of Colorado men's golf team wrapped up its fall season here Saturday, turning in its best single round score for the fall, but could only move up one spot into a 17th place finish in the Ka'anapali Collegiate Classic.

No. 17 East Tennessee State and No. 19 Oklahoma shared the team title, as the Buccaneers and Sooners shot the same team scores all three days, including a 13-under 271 Saturday to finish with 42-under par 810 totals. Liberty, the first and second round leader, slipped into third with an 813 total, while North Florida and San Jose State tied for fourth, six back with 816 tallies.

The Buffaloes finished with a 12-under 272 team score, their best in 15 rounds this fall and the seventh-best of the 20 teams Saturday to finish with a 1-over 853 total. Slow starts in the first two round proved to be the Achilles tendon for Colorado in the event, something it corrected Saturday. The four players who scored for the Buffs logged four birdies on the first three holes and CU stayed away from big numbers all day, with 22 birdies opposite 12 bogeys and a double bogey overall by the quintet (20 and eight, respectively, by the four scorers).

The Buffaloes had three players score in the 60's Saturday, for just the second time this fall; the other time was in the season opener in the Mirabel Maui Jim. Seven other teams also had at least three, but all were in the top eight in the standings.

"A much better round today, closer to what we expect," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "Justin, Dylan and Hunter responded with good rounds, and Hunter had a nice overall week.

"For the fall overall, I am proud of how we worked hard and competed despite no one really playing very consistent," Edwards continued. "It was certainly not the start to the season we expected, but that is golf and we are using it for motivation this off-season. We have an incredible spring schedule and I expect us to play great."

Edwards went on to note how three of his players have risen to the top of the team's depth, thus the all-important fourth and fifth positions are wide open for competition.

"Justin, Dylan and Hunter have really separated themselves," he said. "We have a bunch of other talented guys on the roster and it is wide open for who fills out the lineup. We've got to be better and despite all of our success, we are still a pretty young team. This fall was a tremendous opportunity for us to learn, adjust, and get better. I look forward to seeing who steps up this winter."

Oklahoma's Luke Kluver used the low score of the day – a 7-under 64 – to move from third into medalist honors with an 18-under 195 score. That turned out to be good for a three-stroke win over second round co-leader, Mats Ege of East Tennessee State, who finished up with a 68 for a 15-under 198 total.

This was CU's final competition of the fall season; the Buffaloes start the spring portion of the 2023-24 season exactly three months from Saturday in the Southwestern Intercollegiate in Westlake Village, Calif., on January 28.
"
__________________________________________________________________________________

Final full leaderboard - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/10/28/Kaanapali-Classic-Collegiate-Final-102823.pdf

Congrats to Mr. Swanson!

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/10/31/mens-golf-swanson-named-pac-12-golfer-of-the-week.aspx

"
Men's Golf October 31, 2023 David Plati, SID-Emeritus/Athletic Historian

Swanson Named Pac-12 Golfer of the Week​

BOULDER — University of Colorado sophomore Hunter Swanson was named the Pac-12's Men's Golfer of the Week for the period of Oct. 23-29, the conference announced Tuesday.

Swanson led the Buffaloes here from start to finish in the Ka'anapali Classic Collegiate in Lahaina, Maui, tying for 24th in the 120-man field with a 69-71-67—207 score (6-under par) on the 6,700-yard, par-71 Royal Ka'anapali Course at Ka'anapali Golf Club. It was the second time he led the team in an event in his young career, as he wrapped things up here with a clean round of four birdies and 14 pars. It was Swanson's second bogey-free round of the fall and the team's third overall. Overall for the tourney, he had an eagle, 11 birdies and 35 pars with just seven bogeys; he played the par-4 holes at 4-under, tied for 14th in the field.

"Hunter has had an outstanding start to his sophomore season," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "He had a really nice tournament in Hawaii and this is a tremendous honor for him."

Swanson is currently ranked No. 351 in the latest World Amateur Golf Rankings (WAGR), but is the No. 147th American. That's third-best on the Buffaloes, behind juniors Dylan McDermott (120th, 60th from the U.S.) and Justin Biwer (253rd, 120th).

It was the last competition for the Buffaloes in their fall season; Swanson finished with the team's second-best stroke average (71.07), behind only Biwer (70.47). He leads the team in eagles (5) and pars (165), with a 22.2 subpar hole percentage (60 of 270) and an 83.3 percentage for holes of par or better (225 of 270), also trailing only Biwer. He'll enter the spring with a current string of 20 straight holes of par or better after setting the school record earlier in the fall with a tremendous run of 42 in a row, shattering the old mark of 34.

He set himself up for a solid fall after a great summer on the competitive amateur circuit around the country, as he owned a stroke average of 68.2 for 18 such rounds.
"

Back