What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023/24 WOMEN'S GOLF pre-season and season news, results and discussion (LAST Pac 12 Championships next tourney; in Pullman 4/21-23)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
With Women's golf being one of those Buff sports that has MANY tournaments in both the fall and spring semesters, I wanted to set up a thread that as normal we can use to cover anything that comes up on and off the course related to the team up through the Pac 12 Championships (scheduled to begin April 21st, 2024 in Pullman). (I'll give the NCAA Championships their own thread if/ when the Buffs team earn a regional berth.)

I'm starting this thread now as I see the team has released its current year schedule (https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-golf/schedule/2023-24) Per that, the 1st tournament is scheduled to be in Tacoma on Sept. 18-19.

A tweet with the schedule as it now stands -

Last edited:
Best wishes to Ms. Miller in L.A. starting tomorrow!
(In general, looks like 2 days of stroke play begins tomorrow, with the top 64 at the end of Tuesday beginning match play competition on Wednesday, with the final next Sunday. Looks like it's the match play that is scheduled to be shown on the Golf Channel.)

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/8/6/w...-at-123rd-us-womens-amateur-championship.aspx

"
Morgan Miller's putter got hot at the right time this summer, so much so it punched her a ticket to the most prestigious amateur event of the year.

Miller will compete at the 123rd U.S. Women's Amateur, which begins Monday, Aug. 7, at the Bel-Air Country Club in Los Angeles.

The tournament consists of two rounds of stroke play (Monday and Tuesday). The top 64 move on to match play over the next four days, culminating with a champion crowned on Aug. 13.

"It's the biggest tournament of the year besides the Augusta National Tournament so I'm really excited about it," Miller said.

Miller was originally a first alternate into the field, after tying for fifth at the Colorado Golf Association qualifier with a 1-under-par, 71, on June 21 at the Walnut Creek Golf Preserve in Westminster. She got the call last week that a spot had opened up for her to participate.

Just getting to that point was a feat in itself, she made a furious comeback late in the qualifier just to get to a playoff for the final spot or one of two alternate positions.

Miller was 2-over through 14 holes, but had the advantage of being among the last golfers on the course during the round. She got a peak at the leaderboard and knew what she had to do from there.

"I looked at the leaderboard and the cut was 1-under and I'm sitting here with four holes left and am like 'I gotta do something if I want a chance'," Miller said.

She began the four-hole stretch sinking a 30-foot putt for birdie at No. 15. Miller made par at No. 16, meaning she needed to finish with birdies on her final two holes to join the playoff.

On No. 17, a par 3, Miller found herself with another long-range putt, from about 35-40 feet out, but made that as well to stay in contention with a birdie. That left the 501-yard par 5 No. 18.

Two solid shots got her into striking distance near the green, but a misstep with her chip onto the green left her with her back against the wall.

"I had a chance at an up and down for birdie but I did not hit the chip well and was left with a 55-footer," Miller said. "So it's not like I was giving myself very good chances."

However, Miller was up to the challenge. She drilled the 55-footer, her third long putt in four holes, to finish at 1-under.

"I knew I had to make the putt and I just made sure I got the putt to the hole and they all went in which was fortunate for me," Miller said. "But that doesn't happen every day, let alone a lot, I was very fortunate to have my putter running hot the last four holes."

With five golfers qualifying for the Amateur out of the CGA event, Miller joined three others in a playoff for the final spot.

Cory Lopez of Mexico would take the final spot with a birdie on the first playoff hole, but Miller snagged first alternate with a par on the second playoff hole, a par 3 which the others bogeyed.

Miller is hoping the U.S. Amateur can serve as a continuation on what was a solid freshman season at Colorado and what will be an even better sophomore campaign. She was second on the team in stroke average at 75.79 and led the Buffaloes with nine rounds of even-par or better.

Additionally, Miller placed third at the 76th CGA Women's Stroke Play Championship in July. In January, Miller won the 90th Doherty Women's Amateur Championship in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Miller won't be alone at the U.S. Amateur. Colorado Associate Head Coach Madeleine Sheils will serve as her caddie this week.

"This is such a good field and especially having Maddie on the bag, I think it's going to be really helpful," Miller said. "To experience that together will be so much fun and I'm just planning on having a fun time. I'm just going to try my best and see what happens."

Miller begins her quest Monday teeing off from the back nine at Bel-Air CC at 8:42 a.m. MT and is paired with American Sienna Lyford and Canadian Brooke Rivers. That same trio will begin the second round on Tuesday from the No. 1 tee at 1:57 p.m. MT.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Championships homepage - https://championships.usga.org/uswomensamateur.html

Leaderboard - https://championships.usga.org/uswomensamateur/2023/scoring.html

Television schedule - https://championships.usga.org/uswo...mateur-championship--television-schedule.html

Preview in front of the team's 1st tourney of this (academic) year -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/17/womens-golf-buffs-open-2023-24-season-in-pacific-northwest.aspx

"
BOULDER – The University of Colorado women's golf team tees off the 2023-24 season at the Leadership and Golf Invitational, Sept. 18-19, hosted by Washington and Seattle U., at Chambers Bay Golf Course in University Place, Wash.

Colorado is one of 19 teams at this season-opening event in the Pacific Northwest which includes fellow Pac-12 Conference rivals USC, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State. The 54-hole tournament begins with the first two rounds (36 holes) on Monday, Sept. 18, followed by an 18-hole final round on Tuesday, Sept. 19.

The Chambers Bay course, which hosted the men's 2015 U.S. Open, will play at 6,093 yards and a par 72.

Colorado is eagerly looking to move forward from a disappointing last place finish in the Pac-12 last season. An influx of new talent and some strategic scheduling for the fall have the Buffaloes feeling good entering the season-opener.

"The last two seasons haven't been what we've wanted, but we're excited about this year and the five new players on our team," Colorado head coach Anne Kelly said. "There just seems to be a different energy; a different vibe. Golf is so unpredictable, but I know we have a group of very dedicated players and they've been working hard."

Colorado's fall schedule features a pair of local tournaments: the Colonel Wollenberg Ram Classic at Ptarmigan Country Club in Fort Collins, Sept. 25-26 and the Ron Moore Intercollegiate at the University of Denver Golf Course in Highlands Ranch, Oct. 6-8. The Buffaloes are hoping playing familiar local courses and another regular trip to the Stanford Intercollegiate (Oct. 20-22) will help build momentum for the spring championship season.

The local weeks will also allow the Buffaloes to get all eight players on their roster in tournament action at some point this fall.

Graduate transfer Sabrina Iqbal, a former All-Big 12 Conference golfer from TCU, headlines Colorado's new arrivals and will be in the Buffaloes No. 1 spot in the opener. Iqbal graduated from TCU in 2022 and spent the last year training away from the college game and recently advanced to the second stage of the LPGA Q-School.

Colorado's three returning players – senior Hailey Schalk, redshirt junior Lauren Waxer-Gooding and sophomore Morgan Miller - will all be in action for the Leadership and Golf Invitational. Aside from Iqbal, Schalk and Waxer-Gooding have the most overall collegiate experience in the program. Waxer-Gooding had a team-best three Top 20 finishes last year and had six rounds at even-par or better.

Miller is Colorado's top returner in terms of scoring average (75.79 per round) and led the Buffaloes with nine rounds of par or better last season as a true freshman. Miller is coming off a successful trip to the U.S. Women's Amateur Championship this summer, advancing to the Round of 64 match play.

Freshman Carolyn Fuller, a Phoenix native and All-Arizona golfer out of Pinnacle High School will make her collegiate debut for the Buffaloes this week.

Colorado is paired with San Diego State, Santa Clara and Gonzaga in Monday's first two rounds with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. MT.

A live stream of the Leadership and Golf Women's Invitational is available through gklive.tv and live scoring is available at birdiefire.com.
"

Leaderboard - https://birdiefire.com/tournament/192863/

Link to live leaderboard (This is the 1st time I can remember a regular season tourney having video coverage on either the women's or men's side. Be interesting to see what it looks like.) - https://www.gklive.tv/event/2023-leadership-and-golf-womens-invitational

Tourney day!

Edit - I did play around and obtained a subscription for today's video. It looks like the website is set up to require a fee to watch tourneys, but this one isn't charging anything. It does make you do a normal signup (providing email, address, etc.), afterwich you receive a link via email with a unique link to the streams. (Looks like they are just static cameras, with some at tees and others green.)

Last edited:
I'm sure the coaches see lots of things to work on, and it being early in their 2nd season (spring is when the Championships are competed) makes sense for ALL teams in every sport, but pretty good start to the season even with the final round being the toughest for the team. This is especially considering that, after finishing last at last year's Pac 12 Championships, they finished ahead of 2 of the 4 other conference foes competing here.

Article about this now completed tourney -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/19/...-at-the-leadership-and-golf-invitational.aspx

"
UNIVERSITY PARK, Wash. — The University of Colorado women's golf team placed three in the top 20 and finished sixth overall as the season-opening Leadership and Golf Invitational wrapped up at Chambers Bay Golf Course on Tuesday.

Colorado finished the tournament at 16-over-par, 880, just one stroke out of the top five and six out of the top three. After hovering close to par in the first two rounds – 4 over combined - the Buffaloes were 12-over on the final 18 holes.

USC cruised to the team title, winning by 31 strokes. The Trojans were the only team to finish the tournament in the red, shooting 27-under par after a 12-under performance in the third round. Minnesota held on to second place at 2-over, despite playing 12-over in the third round. Georgia Southern and Oregon State tied for third at 10-over while San Francisco was fifth at 15-over.

Colorado, which entered the final round in third place, stayed in that spot most of the day until hitting a rough spot late on the back nine. The four Buffaloes who accounted for the team score lost nine strokes on a three-hole stretch that consisted of par 3s at No. 15 (155 yards) and No. 17 (168 yards) and the 336-yard par 4 No. 16.

"Not the finish we wanted today, but overall the team has made good progress," Colorado head coach Anne Kelly said.

Despite the late slide it was an overall good start to the season for the Buffaloes. Graduate transfer Sabrina Iqbal had the round of the day with a 68 which allowed her to tie for 13th overall at 1-over, 217. Sophomore Morgan Miller had a share of the lead early in the third round, eventually dropping back to a tie for 15th at 2-over, 218, after a final round of 78. Junior Lauren Waxer-Gooding carded a 73 in the final round to tie for 20th overall at 3-over, 219.

Senior Hailey Schalk finished tied for 47th at 10-over, 226, while freshman Carolyn Fuller, in her collegiate debut finished tied for 96th at 26-over, 242.

"Sabrina was a bright spot, she played very well, very steady today," Kelly said. "Lauren also played a strong round with a very unlucky break on 16 when her shot it the pin and then kicked into a tough spot in the bunker caught a break at 16 when she hit the pin and then kicked into a tough spot in the bunker (she would bogey 16). Hailey and Morgan were hanging tough, but had tough finishes. We will take a look at what we can improve upon with our quick turn around."

Colorado returns to action next week, Sept. 25-26, at the Colonel Wollenberg Ram Classic at the Ptarmigan Country Club in Fort Collins.

NOTES: Miller's 54-hole total of 218 is her second-best in 11 collegiate tournaments. She shot 1-under, 215, at last fall's Golfweek Red Sky Classic. It was also Miller's second career top 20 finish … Waxer-Gooding logged her fifth career top 20 finish ... Colorado struggled overall on the par 3s in the third round. The Buffaloes were last (19th) in the field at a combined 15-over (+3.75 avg). For the tournament, Colorado was in the middle of the pack on the par 3s at 3-over (+3.08 avg) … Colorado's 54-hole team score of 880 was its best since shooting 879 at the Jim West Challenge (San Marcos, Texas) Oct. 23-24, 2022.
"

Full final leaderboard - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/9/19/Leadership_and_Golf_Invitational_Post_Rnd_3_Stats_Sheets.pdf

Article after a VERY good day yesterday for the team - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/25/womens-golf-buffs-enjoy-record-day-at-ram-classic.aspx

"
FORT COLLINS, Colo. — The University of Colorado women's golf team carded the second-best 36-hole score in program history, shooting a whopping 22-under-par, 554, at the 2023 Colonel Wollenberg Ram Classic, Monday at Ptarmagin Country Club.

The Buffaloes shot an impressive 9-under, 279, in the first round only to surpass that by four strokes the second time around the course at 13-under, 275. Colorado was four strokes off the school record of 550 for a low 36-hole score, set in Coeur D'Alene Collegiate (Coeur D'Alene, Idaho) in September 2017.

Colorado's performance was good enough for second place after two rounds. Host Colorado State, playing on its home course, set a tournament record for 36 holes at 41-under, 535. The Buffaloes are 16 strokes ahead of third place Fresno State, 6-under on the day.

"It was really fun to see them make so many birdies," Colorado head coach Anne Kelly said. "(Ptarmigan) is a very scorable course but it still has some challenging holes, and as the day went on, the greens got firmer and faster, so it really did require some skill. But I think it's just really good for our team to be able to play a course like that and have the opportunity to make birdies."

Graduate transfer Sabrina Iqbal led the Buffaloes effort and is tied for the indivdual lead after breaking the Ram Classic 36-hole record with a 12-under, 132, a mark she shares with co-leader Sofia Torres of Colorado State. Iqbal opened the day with a 67 and followed it up with a 65 in the afternoon, the latter tying for the third-best 18-hole round in team history.

"I was able to put myself in good positions off the tee," Iqbal said. "The course is short so I was able to hit a lot of wedges in and just giving myself opportunities throughout the whole day and having some putts drop."

Iqbal dropped a stroke on just two holes; one bogey in each round. She had 14 birdies on the day as her 132 score ranks as the second-best 36-hole total in program history. Iqbal dominated the back-nine in both rounds, shooting 7-under. She had five birdies in the final eight holes to close out her opening round.

"Sabrina is very much in control of her game," Kelly said. "She's put in a lot of long, hard hours to get to the level where she is. It's great to have her on the team but I think also for all our teammates to see what it takes to play at that level."

Sophomore Morgan Miller had another strong performance and is tied for sixth at 7-under, 137. Miller shot 70 in the first round and then logged a career-best 67 in the afternoon. She started fast in the second round with three birdies in her first four holes. Miller dropped one stroke at the 415-yard, par 4, No. 8, but that proved to be her lone hiccup as she had three birdies on the back nine, including the last two holes, par 4s, at No. 17 and No. 18.

Freshman Francesca Sumcad made a statement in her Colorado debut, tying for 12th at 3-under, 141. Sumcad shot even in round one, highlighted by an eagle at the 527-yard, par 5, No. 16. She shaved three strokes off that in the afternoon with a five-birdie round on the way to a 3-under 69.

"Wow, I was really impressed with her," said Kelly about Sumcad's debut. "She was just calm and didn't seem nervous or overwhelmed. She just went about her business and had a great attitude. Really proud of the way she played."

Senior Hailey Schalk is tied for 24th at 1-over, 145. Schalk had her best round since March 2022, shooting 2-under, 70 in the morning session which included three birdies in a four-hole span between No. 15 and No. 18.

Redshirt junior Lauren Waxer-Gooding is in 53rd place at 10-over, 154. She shook off an 80 in round one, knocking off six strokes to shoot 2-over, 74 in the second.

Three Buffaloes are competing as individuals, two of which reside in the top 20 after two rounds. Freshman Carolyn Fuller is tied for 17th at 1-under, 143, thanks to a collegiate-best 68 in the second round. Freshman Vanessa Ngo had a solid collegiate debut, tying for 20th at even-par, 144. Junior Maria Eidhagen Harrouch is tied for 50th at 9-over, 153.

Colorado will be in the leaders grouping in the final round for the second-straight tournament, pairing with Colorado State and Fresno State. The teams will tee off between holes No. 1 and No. 4 with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. MT.

NOTES: Iqbal, who shot 68 in the final round of last week's Leadership & Golf Invitational, has shot in the 60s in three consecutive rounds. Esther Lee in September 2016 is the only other Buffalo to achieve that feat … Iqbal co-led the field on the course's par 3s, hitting 3-under. Her 14 birdies, along with CSU's Torres, also led the field … Colorado had five rounds in the 60s on Monday, the Buffaloes had only three all of last season … Colorado's 275 in the second round is the second-lowest 18-hole team score in program history. The 279 is now tied for fifth.
"

(From the leaderboard, the Buffs also have the top round at -3 VERY early (through 4-6 holes) in the final round, although with the Rams (Who are +1 early) still 15 up, assume it's pretty unlikely that CU can overtake CSU for the tourney overall.)

Team with a nice early season tourney -

Article (Maybe need to edit the lead photo, as it shows a football play.) - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/26/...-with-second-place-finish-at-ram-classic.aspx

"
FORT COLLINS, Colo. — Bolstered by a third-straight under-par team round, the University of Colorado women's golf team finished in second place at the Colonel Wollenberg Ram Classic at Ptarmigan Country Club on Tuesday while cementing one of the top overall tournament performances in program history.

Colorado's 54-hole score of 836, 28-under-par, is the second-lowest total in the 30-year history of the program. Colorado State took the team title, setting its own school 54-hole record at 46-under, 818. The Buffaloes shot 6-under in Tuesday's final round, which proved to be the second-best mark of the day. Long Beach State was a distant third at 10-under, 854.

The eye-popping double-digit under par scores from Monday's first two rounds didn't materialize, but the Buffaloes put together a solid 6-under, 282, in the final round to finish just two strokes shy of the school record of 834 set at the 2017 Coeur D'Alene Collegiate (Coeur D'Alene, Idaho).

"I'm really proud of the team; all of them," Colorado head coach Anne Kelly said. "They all made a bunch of birdies and played with a lot of heart; a lot of competitiveness."

Sophomore Morgan Miller and graduate transfer Sabrina Iqbal tied for runner-up honors, each finishing at 12-under, 204. Iqbal was in contention for medalist honors for most of the final round, while Miller jumped four spots in the standings after a second-consecutive career-best round of 67.

Colorado's duo of Iqbal and Miller not only tied for the third-best 54-hole individual rounds in team history, they also became the first Buffaloes pair to finish in the top three of the same 54-hole event since Jess Wallace, Alex Stewart and Emily Talley went 1-2-3, March 16-18, 2012 at the Clover Cup at Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Ariz.

CSU's Sofia Torres won medalist honors at 16-under, 200, four-strokes better than Iqbal and Miller. Iqbal held a one-stroke lead over Torres after a birdie at No. 12 to get to 3-under on the day, but stumbled after her only double-bogey of the tournament at No. 13 before finishing out with a 72. Torres made par on No. 13 and added consecutive birdies at No. 15 and No. 16 to clinch the win.

"I can't say enough about Sabrina, she really gave herself an opportunity to win and she'll keep putting herself (in the mix)," Kelly said. "What an outstanding competitor she is."

Miller made seven birdies in her final round against just two bogeys. She was at 6-under after a birdie at the 527-yard, par 5, No. 16, but dropped back to 5-under with a bogey at No. 17. Miller closed out with a par at No. 18 to clinch her first career runner-up finish.

"Morgan has been working extremely hard, knocking on that door, trying to make that breakthrough to the next level," Kelly said. "It's been a lot of frustration and tears, but she's done a great job of persevering and working on the right things. I just so happy for her to have this breakthrough."

While Miller and Iqbal dominated, the Buffaloes were hardly a two-golfer wrecking crew. A remarkable 11 of Colorado's 12 scoring rounds were either at par or under, including five rounds in the 60s.

Freshman Francesca Sumcad made her initial collegiate tournament a memorable one. Sumcad finished in 15th place at 3-under after a 72 in the final round. She matched the second-best 54-hole score by a Buffalo in her debut at 213, matching Talley who did it on this same course in 2008.

"Franky is such a solid player," Kelly said. "From what I observed this week, under pressure, she has a great mentality and great attitude. Not to say she wasn't nervous, but she certainly kept her composure and played with a lot of heart. I saw a lot from her this week."

Senior Hailey Schalk finished tied for 30th at 5-over, 221, after a 76 in the final round. Lauren Waxer-Gooding shot an 1-under, 71, in the final round to finish tied for 37th at 9-over, 225.

The short trip north provided the Buffaloes the opportunity to travel their entire roster, allowing three individuals to compete and they took full advantage.

Freshman Carolyn Fuller, who competed in last week's Leadership & Golf Invitational, narrowly missed a top 20 finish, tying for 21st at 1-over, 217. Classmate Vanessa Ngo made her collegiate debut, tying for 23rd, just one stroke behind Fuller at 2-over, 218. Fuller and Ngo both shot 74 in the final round.

Maria Eidhagen Harrouch, a junior college All-American, made her Colorado debut, finishing in 51st place at 15-over, 231.

Colorado returns to action Oct. 6-8 at the Ron Moore Intercollegiate at the University of Denver Golf Course in Highlands Ranch, Colo.
"

Full leaderboard - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/9/26/2023_Ptarmigan_Ram_Classic_Final_Results.pdf

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/10/8/...-out-ron-moore-intercollegiate-in-eighth.aspx

"
HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. — University of Colorado sophomore Morgan Miller notched her second-straight top three finish as the Buffaloes closed out the 2023 Ron Moore Intercollegiate in eighth place at the University of Denver Golf Course, Sunday.

Miller shot 1-under-par 71 in the final round to finish in sole possession of third place with a 54-hole score of 9-under, 207. Her school-record streak of rounds in the 60s ended at four, but she tied another team record on Sunday with her sixth-consecutive round shooting under par.

Miller had a shot at the title. She was tied for the lead with Kansas' Jordan Rothman Denver's Anna Zanusso at 10-under on the 53rd hole for all three golfers. Unfortunately, Miller made bogey on No. 7, a 385-yard par 4, while Rothman birdied her final hole on the 486-yard par 5, No. 18 to clinch medalist honors at 11-under. Zanusso, who closed out with par on No. 18, was second at 10-under.

Colorado dropped back one spot in the team standings after shooting, 2-over, in the final round, claiming a 54-hole score of 1-over, 865.

"Not the day we had hoped for," Kelly said. "The team gave it their all, but we just couldn't seem to get the birdies to fall and get on a roll."

Colorado returns to action for the Stanford Intercollegiate, Oct. 20-22, in Stanford, Calif.
"

Congrats and best wishes to Ms. Coleman!

And, best wishes to Ms. Choi at Q school.

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/10/9/...-jenny-coleman-reclaims-lpga-card-for-24.aspx

"
BOULDER — Former University of Colorado women's golf great Jenny Coleman has earned her LPGA card for 2024 after a Top 10 Official Money List finish on the Epson Tour, which concluded its 2023 season Sunday with the Epson Tour Championship.

Coleman finished seventh on the Official Money List, earning $106,137 in 22 events. She had four Top 10 finishes during the 2023 season, highlighted by her first professional win at the IOA Golf Classic presented by LPT Reality in May. Coleman tied for 47th at the Epson Tour Championship at 7-under-par, 281.

Coleman held LPGA conditional status in 2023 and appeared in three events, including the U.S. Women's Open in July where she tied for 71st. She received her initial LPGA card in 2017 and has played in 74 tour events over the last seven years, earning $402,758. In 2021, Coleman had three Top 10 finishes, highlighted by a third-place showing at the LPGA Drive on Championship at Golden Ocala.

Coleman set or shared 28 Colorado women's golf records during her time in Boulder from 2010-14. She was the team MVP and an honorable mention All-Pac-12 Conference selection as a senior. Coleman was the first Buffalo to make NCAA Regionals four times, competing as an individual in 2013 and with the team in 2011-12 and '14.

Another former Colorado golfer just missed the cut on the Epson Tour Official Money List. Robyn Choi was 12th on the season money list with $92,258.

Choi had a fantastic year on the Epson Tour. She has made the cut in the last 27 Epson Tour events, including all 21 events in 2023. Choi earned LPGA status as a rookie in 2019, playing in 12 events and has been a regular on the Epson Tour since. She will have another chance to earn her card for 2024 at the Q-Series, Nov. 30-Dec. 5 at the Magnolia Grove Golf Course in Mobile, Ala.

Choi was a first team All-Pac-12 and honorable mention WGCA All-American in 2017-18, helping the Buffaloes to a 19th place national finish in just second NCAA Championship appearance.
"

The Buffs are in a 3 way tie for 16th after the 1st round at this very challenging tourney.
(In addition to the course looking tough based on the scores, per the Golfstat ratings on the leaderboard, the Buffs are the worst rated of the 19 teams at the tourney at #60, with 13 of the top 28 rated teams in the country at the tourney.)

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/10/20...16th-at-stacked-stanford-intercollegiate.aspx

"
STANFORD, Calif. — The University of Colorado women's golf team is tied for 16th place after the opening round of the Stanford Intercollegiate, played at the Stanford Golf Course on Friday.

The Buffaloes, shot 16-over-par, 300, matching the scores of No. 12 (Golfweek) ranked San Jose State and No. 23 Georgia. No. 7 UCLA leads after the first round at 10-under, five strokes ahead of No. 11 USC.

All 19 teams in the Stanford Intercollegiate field are ranked No. 60 or higher in the latest Golfweek national poll, including seven in the top 15. The Buffaloes, ranked 60th, took on that field with three underclassmen and two golfers contributing to the team score on this level for the first time.

Freshman Vanessa Ngo and junior college All-American Maria Eidhagen Harrouch held their own against the nation's best. Ngo shot a 75 on Stanford's par 71 course and is tied for 61st after the first round. Eidhagen Harrouch was one stroke behind, tied for 72nd at 5-over, 76.

"Overall we're disappointed with the score, but took some positives out of it," Colorado head coach Anne Kelly said. "It was Maria and Vanessa's first time playing in the top five, and they both showed a lot of fight and a lot of heart. Maria started feeling more comfortable with her game on the second nine. Vanessa had a couple tough holes but she really fought and never gave up on the round."

Sophomore Morgan Miller had Colorado's top effort of the day at 2-over, 73. Miller was held without a birdie over the first 15 holes, sitting at 4-over, before rallying with a pair of birdies on her last two holes and is tied for 42nd after round one.

Colorado finished its round on a positive note. The Buffaloes had only eight birdies on the day, but six of them came over the final three holes.

"(Finishing strong) is something we talked about as a team, and we were happy to see that, but both (associate head coach) Maddie (Sheils) and I feel this team is capable of much more and hopefully we'll go out the next two days and keep improving," Kelly said.

Senior Hailey Schalk joined Eidhagen Harrouch and five others with a 75. Freshman Francesca Sumcad is tied for 85th with a first-round score of 7-over, 78.

The Buffaloes were without graduate transfer Sabrina Iqbal who earlier in the day finished off an impressive showing at the LPGA Stage II Q-School. Iqbal shot a final-round 68 to finish tied for eighth with a four-round total of 7-under, securing EPSON Tour status for the 2024 season following her Colorado career.

Colorado will pair with No. 28 Virginia and No. 51 Iowa State in Saturday's second round. The group will begin from the No. 1 tee at 9:25 a.m. MT.
"

Last edited:

Direct link to the Article at the end of this tournament - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/10/22/womens-golf-buffs-finish-18th-at-stanford-intercollegiate.aspx

"
STANFORD, Calif. — The University of Colorado women's golf team finished 18th overall at the Stanford Intercollegiate with a 54-hole score of 40-over-par, 892, as the tournament concluded Sunday at the Stanford Golf Course.

Colorado's final round effort mirrored that of its second round. The Buffaloes matched Saturday's team score, shooting 12-over, 296. Similar to Saturday, Colorado got off to a strong start on the front half, only to struggle toward the end.

No. 11 Southern California won the team title at 9-under, 843. No. 22 Northwestern was the runner-up and the only other team to shoot in the red for the tournament at 2-under, 850. Top ranked Stanford and No. 27 California tied for third at 2-over, 854.

Colorado limited mistakes on the front nine, shooting 1-under. Four of Colorado's golfers birdied either No. 1 (par 5) or No. 2 (par 4) and the Buffaloes had no score worse than bogey at the turn.

Colorado didn't fare as well on the back though, shooting 13-over with just four birdies on that side of the course.

"Proud of Franky (Sumcad), she was under par most of the day and had a couple of rough holes but came back strong," Colorado head coach Anne Kelly said. "The team got off to a good start, but once again struggled to finish the round. This is definitely an area we need to continue to work on and improve."

The Buffaloes were without graduate transfer Sabrina Iqbal who on Friday finished off an impressive showing at the LPGA Stage II Q-School. Iqbal shot a final-round 68 to finish tied for eighth with a four-round total of 7-under, securing EPSON Tour status for the 2024 season following her Colorado career.

Colorado will finish the fall portion of its schedule at the Miami Hurricane Invitational, Oct. 30-31, at the Bitmore Golf Course Miami, in Coral Gables, Fla.
"

Direcdt link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/10/31/womens-golf-buffs-wrap-up-the-fall-season-ninth-in-miami.aspx

"
CORAL GABLES, Fla. — The University of Colorado women's golf team concluded the fall portion of its season with a ninth-place finish at the 2023 Miami Hurricane Invitational which wrapped up Tuesday at the Biltmore Golf Course.

Colorado shot 8-over-par, 872, at the 54-hole event, including 3-over, 291, in Tuesday's final round.

Miami won the team title at 27-under, 10 strokes better than Oklahoma (-17). South Florida came in third (-11) followed by Texas State (-6) and Augusta (-5).

Sophomore Morgan Miller capped off a record-breaking fall season, tying for third place at 8-under, 208, after a 71 in the final round. Miller had an early bogey on the back – just her second of the tournament – but avoided any further slips. She got back to even with a birdie on the par 5, No. 1, and closed out with a second one on her final hole, the par 3, No. 8, to finish in the red for the 11th time in 15 fall season rounds.

"Really proud of Morgan and her tied-for-third finish," Colorado head coach Anne Kelly said. "She played a solid round of golf and had a great ball striking day. She finished up the fall on a very good note."

"Our team has some work to do," Kelly said. "We made some progress this fall, but too inconsistent. This team has great promise, but we need to put in the work necessary for more consistent performances and to be more competitive."

Colorado will begin its spring season at the San Diego State Classic, Feb. 12-13, 2024.
"

Final full leaderboard - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/10/31/Miami_Hurricane_Invitational_Final_Results.pdf

Back