What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024-25 PFF Grades - Colorado Buffaloes

#1 pick

Club Member
Club Member
Through 5 games, CU is the 32nd best-rated team via PFF with a score of 90.6. Our Strength of Schedule (SOS) is 31st in the nation.

Opponents we played this year:

• NDSU: 3rd-FCS (94.4)
  • Nebraska: 31st (90.3)
  • CSU: 88th (79.7) - Coming off a bye week
  • Baylor: 99th (76.5)
  • UCF: 30th (90.7)

Upcoming opponents:

• Kansas State: 70th (83.4) - Coming off a bye week
  • Arizona: 57th (86.5)
  • Cincy: 22nd (91.2)
So far, we’ve faced a strong schedule. We played a team performing better than us this year in NDSU. Special Teams almost cost us the Baylor game.

Offense:

• Last year (first 5 games): 34th best
  • This year (first 5 games): 41st best
  • Last year: 3rd best passing attack
  • This year: 7th best passing attack
  • Last year: 11th best pass protection
  • This year: 88th best pass protection
  • Last year: 64th best receiving unit
  • This year: 31st best receiving unit
  • Last year: 106th best running game
  • This year: 63rd best running game
  • PFF run blocking last year: 79th
  • PFF run blocking This year: 94th
Defense:

• Last year: 108th best
  • This year: 34th
  • Last year: 125th best run defense
  • This year: 11th
  • Last year: 58th in tackling
  • This year: 10th
  • Last year: 86th in pass rush
  • This year: 118th
  • Last year: 69th in coverage
  • This year: 30th
Special teams are our weakest link last year, previously ranked 132nd, now 76th.

We're tied for 4th in the Big XII with Utah and Iowa State, trailing UCF, BYU, and Cincy. Cincy and UCF have flaws but boast significant wins over weaker teams.

Last edited:
Through 5 games, CU is the 32nd best-rated team via PFF with a score of 90.6. Our Strength of Schedule (SOS) is 31st in the nation.

Upcoming opponents:

So far, we’ve faced a strong schedule. We played a team performing better than us this year in NDSU. Special Teams almost cost us the Baylor game.

Offense:

Defense:

Special teams are our weakest link last year, previously ranked 132nd, now 76th.

We're tied for 4th in the Big XII with Utah and Iowa State, trailing UCF, BYU, and Cincy. Cincy and UCF have flaws but boast significant wins over weaker teams.
This is great, thank you. I'm not understanding the defensive grades entirely. What is last year and what is this year?

@#1 pick . I’m interested in the reason NDSU is so high? Is the PFF score relative to skill performance or athletic performance?
Does this indicate that we are better than KSU?
Thanks for your thoughts
PFF is big on doing what you are supposed to do. Not so much how good you are or talented you are. North Dakota State does what they are suppose to do more than any other team in college football in the last 15 years.

PFF doesn't matter for talent or skill. PFF is basically are you doing what they think you are suppose to do. Obviously, the best players tend to do what they are suppose to do more than those who aren't the best players.

No. This just indicates we do what we suppose to do more than KSU does from a play by play stance.

Overall, both teams are good teams. CU has the massive and skill and talent advantage and they do what they are suppose to do more than KSU does. KS State is a tremendously well coached team so they will find something they could expose. If they can't based on their personnel, they will lose and likely lose bad.

These grades matter. Vandy had tremendous QB grades. It was always a chance Bama could lose to a QB like Pavia.

@#1 pick . I’m interested in the reason NDSU is so high? Is the PFF score relative to skill performance or athletic performance?
Does this indicate that we are better than KSU?
Thanks for your thoughts
PFF just grades guys on whether they execute their assignments.

With O line and DBs in particular, they're guessing as to what the assignment is.

Upcoming opponents:

Offense:

Defense:

Interesting that our pass protection was 11th last year through the first 5 games. I wouldn’t have expected it to be that high. I also wonder where we finished the season with these scores.

Interesting that our pass protection was 11th last year through the first 5 games. I wouldn’t have expected it to be that high. I also wonder where we finished the season with these scores.
69th is where we finished last year. I expect it to continue going up with us having a running game now

I think the PFF guys only noted if you picked up the right assignment. I don’t think they note if the DL then picks up the guard and tosses him at the QB.

PFF just grades guys on whether they execute their assignments.

With O line and DBs in particular, they're guessing as to what the assignment is.
Moreso the trenches. If you notice. Those grades change at least 10 times by Friday from Saturday games.

It is 5 games v. 5 games. Last year, our Oline was not fully exposed until game about game 6. We put up crazy points against 4 opponents, then lost bad @ Ore with a bunch of 2nd stringers when that game was out of touch. This year, all the teams have gone after our Oline from the outset.

In some ways the Oline is better. Last year through week 5, SS was sacked 25 times. This year we are at 17, with 8 against Baylor. This year, 3 games with SS's sacked 2 or less. Last year, 0 games all season with SS being sacked less than 3 times.

The D grades pop-out. CU's D is down on sacks, since we have played so many running Qbs.

Upcoming opponents:

Offense:

Defense:

Could you post this on the 247 board and @ maximus for us, please?

The loss knocked us down to #32 on Sagarin. KSU is listed as #15. Remaining schedule fwiw:

Arizona - 55
Cincinnati - 41
Texas Tech - 33
Utah - 27
Kansas - 63
Oklahoma St - 40

Taking care of Cinci and OkSt at home would get us to 6. Finding a way to win at least 1 of Arizona/Kansas as road/“neutral” games could really help make this feel like a good season. Texas Tech on the road gonna be tough.

I still fear their lines and defense. I don’t think that’s a good matchup for us
We'll see what happens with them between now and then. Their schedule sets up for a letdown in Boulder as they get BYU the week before and Iowa State the week after. I'm also not sure what their motivation might be if they lose to TCU this weekend and BYU the week before our game.

I don't think it's out of the question for Utah to be 7-5 or 6-6 at the end of the year.

I still fear their lines and defense. I don’t think that’s a good matchup for us
Yeah, same. The offensive trenches gotta do better against experience. I was okay with the DL against KSU. The secondary and backers failed the DL last weekend

Reactions: GRM
Yeah, same. The offensive trenches gotta do better against experience. I was okay with the DL against KSU. The secondary and backers failed the DL last weekend
DL didn't get off blocks. Refs allowed a lot of holding to slide, but the DL was completely neutralized. But, yeah, with that we needed the LBs & Ss to fire the gaps to beat the angle of combo blocks coming late or to simply break down and not get juked or blown up in a 1-on-1 vs a RB.

Back