What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

24-25 MBB Team

Biggest reason I’m optimistic-bordering on confident- of CU’s chance to finish 2nd Tier of Big-12 (5-8) & make tourney 1st year is that there was/is major roster turn-over in league & a lot of newer coaches-still trying to create program identities.

Only teams that scare me are: Houston/Baylor/KU/Iowa St/Arizona. Yes, BYU & Cincci bringing a lot back, but a lot of question-marks at both places still. A Month from now rosters will be more set; & CU should match-up well. But I know there’ll be plenty of people-Like Da Lama-that will just argue that CU can’t match up to the higher quality of playing in the big 12 – until Tad & Co show it. It’s a Reasonable argument.
Just to set the record straight - we lost EVERY starter from last year and we're moving into arguably the #1 MBB conference in the country. Two of our replacement starters played in DIVISION 2 and NAIA respectively, last year. One potential backcourt starter is a turnover machine when pressured and against better opponents and the other has had multiple knee surgeries. The backup guards have played in 4 games total, and that's all one player.

I would LOVE to say I think we could somehow win 16-20 games and backdoor our way into any postseason play, but when you look at things as they stand, I just can't see it. I hope I'm very wrong.

Biggest reason I’m optimistic-bordering on confident- of CU’s chance to finish 2nd Tier of Big-12 (5-8) & make tourney 1st year is that there was/is major roster turn-over in league & a lot of newer coaches-still trying to create program identities.

Only teams that scare me are: Houston/Baylor/KU/Iowa St/Arizona. Yes, BYU & Cincci bringing a lot back, but a lot of question-marks at both places still. A Month from now rosters will be more set; & CU should match-up well. But I know there’ll be plenty of people-Like Da Lama-that will just argue that CU can’t match up to the higher quality of playing in the big 12 – until Tad & Co show it. It’s a Reasonable argument.
I sincerely Da Lama is right and Tad finds a four star quality/starting caliber point guard- my money remains on Trent Perry!

PS: meant to say Carter Witt is walk on candidate, not redshirt candidate. There is long CU-relationships with those last 3 - just saying? And all 3 could be Ethan Wright-type: spot up shooters, with secondary play-making capabilities? I agree, would likely be end of the bench players.

I sincerely Da Lama is right and Tad finds a four star quality/starting caliber point guard- my money remains on Trent Perry!

PS: meant to say Carter Witt is walk on candidate, not redshirt candidate. There is long CU-relationships with those last 3 - just saying? And all 3 could be Ethan Wright-type: spot up shooters, with secondary play-making capabilities? I agree, would likely be end of the bench players.

I'm hoping that we got a few studs between Anderson, Kossaras, Crawford, and Rancik. The current roster has some pieces but it doesn't have a solid core. It could be a rough couple of seasons if none of those guys hit.

I'm hoping that we got a few studs between Anderson, Kossaras, Crawford, and Rancik. The current roster has some pieces but it doesn't have a solid core. It could be a rough couple of seasons if none of those guys hit.
Kossaras and Crawford are both projects IMO. Rancik should be solid early. Who knows on Anderson, but he seems like a good fit for Tad Ball.

Head Feels GIF

You do know who's in the conference, right? Round robin or not, who do think has the better bottom feeders - Stanford or Texas Tech? Cal or Okie State? UCF or Oregon State? Even with a western skewed slate of games, we're not beating BYU or UofA. We'll likely split with ASU, UU and OSU. Any road game in conference against a team not named ASU or OSU is most likely a sizeable loss for this roster.

Listen, we all knew this would likely be a bumpy road. Tad has done well with bolstering our frontcourt, unfortunately I think he's waaaaay overvaluing what we have in the backcourt.

Yes this is a bumpy road but I think you are underestimating how CU will do in the Big 12. The Big 12 is taking a step back this upcoming season. They lose two 20+ win teams in OU & UT. BYU just lost Pope and they still have West Coast Conference recruited players on their roster especially with players coming back from two year missions. We have a 3-3 record against them all time. We are not playing UCLA & UW anymore and those are two Pac-12 schools that we have losing records against. No doubt UCF & Cincinnati are still cycling out their AAC recruited players but I'm not expecting much success against the Bearcats over the long term though. We still have a 15-11 record against Baylor and they don't scare me like Houston. We should be fine with TCU & TT. Iowa State looks strong next season and looking at our Big 8-12 history, the only school that we beat more consistently than ISU is Nebraska which is the only Big 8 school we have a winning record against all time.

And we are coming off a 26 win season. Only one overall losing season under Tad. You need to have the benefit of the doubt about Tad's ability to guide CU to another 20-ish win season next season. We are not beating Houston, ISU, Arizona, KU, and probably KSU next season. The rest of them? We have a chance especially in Boulder.

Yes this is a bumpy road but I think you are underestimating how CU will do in the Big 12. The Big 12 is taking a step back this upcoming season. They lose two 20+ win teams in OU & UT. BYU just lost Pope and they still have West Coast Conference recruited players on their roster especially with players coming back from two year missions. We have a 3-3 record against them all time. We are not playing UCLA & UW anymore and those are two Pac-12 schools that we have losing records against. No doubt UCF & Cincinnati are still cycling out their AAC recruited players but I'm not expecting much success against the Bearcats over the long term though. We still have a 15-11 record against Baylor and they don't scare me like Houston. We should be fine with TCU & TT. Iowa State looks strong next season and looking at our Big 8-12 history, the only school that we beat more consistently than ISU is Nebraska which is the only Big 8 school we have a winning record against all time.

And we are coming off a 26 win season. Only one overall losing season under Tad. You need to have the benefit of the doubt about Tad's ability to guide CU to another 20-ish win season next season. We are not beating Houston, ISU, Arizona, KU, and probably KSU next season. The rest of them? We have a chance especially in Boulder.
This whole post is a whole lotta crazy. Talk about living in the past. I don't even know where to start. And that Baylor take? It just cost me a new keyboard.

1) Not sure where Goose got idea CU not still in w/ Trent Perry!? X-Twitter-Verse seems to indicate CU still in Top-3 w/ UCLA & Virginia? Full-stop on CU’s last portal commit-until he indicates Buffs are off his board? 2nd Visit?

I like Da Lama’s portal PtG picks above-but I think they’re all too rich for CU (mostly 4-Star guys, that yes-sadly-CU does not seem to be chasing). My Portal Pt G pics & reasons:

2) Jason Nelson (see below): best fit, including may not need starter minutes-as at 5’10 knows his role may be as third guard. A-10 Frosh (redshirt frosh) of year at Richmond, averaged 8 & 2A. 19 minutes as Sophmore at VCU, averaged only 5Pts, 1.7A & 1.5R w/ .33 3Pt & .79 FT. Capable of big increases in right situation-including he would be around 1 year after Julian. He’s great on D to defend smaller/quicker guards in Big12-that we may not have anyone on the roster who can defend otherwise? He’s a true PtG & great playmaker, who gets easy paint touches, finishes great at the rim, good mid-range game, & 3Pt probably keeps improving.

2.5) PS: Fact that Tad picked 3 transfers that have character/IQ & toughness-makes me think he’s prioritizing those program-characteristics in any upper-class men he brings in. PSS: LOVE Elijah Malone FIT @5!

3) Over 80 PtG’s in portal (so a lot could change through May), but these 3 have pre-existing relationships w/ Tad’s staff & were deep in recruitment by Tad. Also have the character/IQ/adequate toughness- w/ little less play-making & maybe more shooting? I call these 3 guys more “3rd options” -if Buffs can’t get a high-quality, more athletic-type PtG like Trent Perry or Jason Nelson?
-Isael Silva, Standford
-Angelo Brizzi, Davidson
-Carter Whitt, Furman - Zach Ruebesam’s NC Guy, maybe more Redshirt Possibly?

Luke...you think you're the guy with theosy insight into CU recruiting...but you're nowhere near.

CU has no chance at landing Perry. Absolutely none.

We were one of the 20 best teams in the country...would have been a 5 or 6 seed if not for the name "COLORADO" across our chests, and lost to a legit top ten caliber team in the second round.

Talent matters.

Dude, we had what may well be three NBA first round draft picks on the team last year and we could only win one game in the tournament and just barely squeaked in. Not sure it matters who we out recruit.

People forget altitude and home court are still a thing in college basketball.

Extremely worried about guard play but we will forever be tough at home.

Just want to remind everyone we went 22-10 and made it to the tourney with a back court of Dom Collier, Xavier Talton, Thomas Akizili
Our off guard/ wings were king and fortune.This team has more talent than that.

Tad also went 24-14 in his first year in the Big 12 8-8 in conference. He went 8-3 in conference at home. With 3 single digit losses two toKansas and an OT loss to A&M.

Again we will take a step back this year and that’s fine but I’d be absolutely shocked if we had 15 wins or less.

This whole post is a whole lotta crazy. Talk about living in the past. I don't even know where to start. And that Baylor take? It just cost me a new keyboard.

What's crazy is that it does not appear that you have acknowledged the fact that we got a great 3 point shooter from Washington State, a D2 All-American from Colorado Mesa, and the NAIA POY plus the person who won the award for best D2, D3, NAIA, and JUCO player in the country which should be saying something. Malone (the NAIA player) also ran a similar system at his NAIA school to what CU runs so the learning curve isn't going to be that steep.

CU had to upgrade its overall size with the move to the Big 12 and with this trio of players, that has been done. That was my biggest concern for the Buffs moving from the Pac-12 to the Big 12 and I feel better about this move already.

And a little refresher for you from Derrick White's Wikipedia page; White's only offer was from NAIA Johnson & Wales (now D2) until the coach who offered him moved to UCCS. I wouldn't knock the fact that we got a D2 and NAIA player based on that. All-Americans from those levels are also legit enough to play D1 basketball. Even Josh Scott's lil bro had a good season at CSU after moving up from D2 Black Hills State.

And if you actually read both previews of the upcoming season, CU is hardly the only Big 12 school with questions surrounding its roster about half of the conference is dealing with roster turnover and also half of the conference is still going through transitions from switching conferences.

And you might want to put your new keyboard away because I'm going to tell you that Tad has been as consistent as Scott Drew has been in Waco over the last 13 years. Trust in Tad!

People forget altitude and home court are still a thing in college basketball.

Extremely worried about guard play but we will forever be tough at home.

Just want to remind everyone we went 22-10 and made it to the tourney with a back court of Dom Collier, Xavier Talton, Thomas Akizili
Our off guard/ wings were king and fortune.This team has more talent than that.

Tad also went 24-14 in his first year in the Big 12 8-8 in conference. He went 8-3 in conference at home. With 3 single digit losses two toKansas and an OT loss to A&M.

Again we will take a step back this year and that’s fine but I’d be absolutely shocked if we had 15 wins or less.

Kelsey Grammer Yes GIF by Paramount+

Three of those wins were over Kansas State who still didn't believe CU was better than them after that third win. I want to beat those purple Wildcats like that again.

Side note I secretly hope the PAC-12 teams dominate next year and show everyone how undervalued/seeded we’ve been for years.

UCLA has done Yoemans work in the Portal and will have a huge bounce back with Cronin, Lloyd and Zona will be great. Excited to see what Muss can do at SC.

Also Madsen has had an Uber impressive offseason in the portal wouldn’t be shocked if he surprised in the ACC. Oregon hit its stride at the end of last year and has a young pg to build around.

Would love if the classic Big 10 teams got moved down a notch due to SC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon

And watch us become the classic Big 12 bubble team with an 19-15 record and under 500 conference play record. Or better yet a safely in 9 seed with a 21-12 regular season record (looking at you TCU)

I’m stoked to never have to worry about sweating it out on selection Sunday with a 26-11 (13-7 in conference) record regular season record and making it to the conference championship game.

What's crazy is that it does not appear that you have acknowledged the fact that we got a great 3 point shooter from Washington State, a D2 All-American from Colorado Mesa, and the NAIA POY plus the person who won the award for best D2, D3, NAIA, and JUCO player in the country which should be saying something. Malone (the NAIA player) also ran a similar system at his NAIA school to what CU runs so the learning curve isn't going to be that steep.

CU had to upgrade its overall size with the move to the Big 12 and with this trio of players, that has been done. That was my biggest concern for the Buffs moving from the Pac-12 to the Big 12 and I feel better about this move already.

And a little refresher for you from Derrick White's Wikipedia page; White's only offer was from NAIA Johnson & Wales (now D2) until the coach who offered him moved to UCCS. I wouldn't knock the fact that we got a D2 and NAIA player based on that. All-Americans from those levels are also legit enough to play D1 basketball. Even Josh Scott's lil bro had a good season at CSU after moving up from D2 Black Hills State.

And if you actually read both previews of the upcoming season, CU is hardly the only Big 12 school with questions surrounding its roster about half of the conference is dealing with roster turnover and also half of the conference is still going through transitions from switching conferences.

And you might want to put your new keyboard away because I'm going to tell you that Tad has been as consistent as Scott Drew has been in Waco over the last 13 years. Trust in Tad!
Damn, there goes another keyboard. Since we left the Big 12 how many Sweet Sixteens, Elite Eights, Final Fours and Nattys do we have?
Now do Baylor.

Look at our recruits/transfers last year and this year.
Now do Baylor.

I hate those b!tches as much as anyone on here, but let’s not get delusional as to how and where we stack up in the Big12 these days.

Back