What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A couple thoughts about the team

Medford M.

I was more than a bit baffled with people saying Wes needed to be more assertive on here lately. His job should be defense, rebounding, and being a garbage man on offense. Frankly I question Tad every time posts up Wes. No moves and no touch means his only job in a set play should be to keep the ball moving.

Maybe this is a Tad thing, but we've only had one guy since Burks and Higgins who goes out ther making sure they get theirs, and that was Ski.

On that note, White needs to be shooting at least 15 times a game, and King should be shooting 8 to 10 threes every night. I was perturbed with his play against ND but was most irritated he only took 5 three pointers. If Im coaching and I have a near 50% three shooter, I want him taking every remotely open look he has. Same goes for White.

On this note, clearly Tad sees it too. He posted up XJ and King a lot tonight. I think we'll be seeing that more and more as the season progresses.

So far they aren't forcing the 3 ball which I like(definitely seem passive at times) . A lot of dribble penetration which is great, they just need to finish better. Fortune especially. He does a good job of getting to the rim, but only seems to be able to hit the backboard on the layup.

Mostly agree, but no one should be shooting 8-10 threes a game not named Steph Curry or Klay Thompson. Green light to take good 3s? Absolutely. But take them as they come in the flow, like they have been doing so far. You start jacking up 3s just to jack up 3s and those percentages will plummet.

Fair, if they are open. But no competent shooter is getting 15 open 3s per game. Or 8-10.
Buddy Hield shot 8.7 threes a game last year, and Id venturehalf of those were contested. Im not saying George is as good a player as Buddy, but there is no excuse for George to only take 3, 3 point shots in a game. Flow or no flow.

Buddy Hield shot 8.7 threes a game last year, and Id venturehalf of those were contested. Im not saying George is as good a player as Buddy, but there is no excuse for George to only take 3, 3 point shots in a game. Flow or no flow.

Buddy Hield was hands down the player of the year last year. It wasn't close. I really like George King. He's no Buddy Hield.

Buddy Hield was hands down the player of the year last year. It wasn't close. I really like George King. He's no Buddy Hield.
Perhaps, but he's one of the best shooters in the college game. That's the part that's a valid comparison.

Perhaps, but he's one of the best shooters in the college game. That's the part that's a valid comparison.

Medford's original statement was George King should shoot 8-10 3s a game. If that argument hinges on the national player of the year last year shooting a little more than 8 3s a game last year, perhaps those expectations should be reassessed.

I'm almost certain we had this discussion after the UConn game in March. I'm all for George King shooting open 3s. The facts are that capable shooters don't really get a bunch of open 3s against competent defenses. Other teams have scouting reports too. If George starts shooting a bunch of contested 3s, his percentages will plummet.

I was more than a bit baffled with people saying Wes needed to be more assertive on here lately. His job should be defense, rebounding, and being a garbage man on offense. Frankly I question Tad every time posts up Wes. No moves and no touch means his only job in a set play should be to keep the ball moving.

Maybe this is a Tad thing, but we've only had one guy since Burks and Higgins who goes out ther making sure they get theirs, and that was Ski.

On that note, White needs to be shooting at least 15 times a game, and King should be shooting 8 to 10 threes every night. I was perturbed with his play against ND but was most irritated he only took 5 three pointers. If Im coaching and I have a near 50% three shooter, I want him taking every remotely open look he has. Same goes for White.

I'm still disgusted that King only got 2 three point attempts against UCONN. GK going 1-2 from 3 in the biggest game of the year was a huge coaching mistake. If you have the same 3P% as Buddy Hield but only allowed to attempt half as many 3's then there's a disconnect. We have too many good 3 shooters on this team for King to get 10 a game but 7 attempts should be an expectation. I'm not saying King is Hield but, let's see more volume and find out.

You get open looks by spreading it around, playing 4 out & giving everybody that can shoot the green light. That's how Villanova won a championship. Thats how teams who aren't blue bloods get to the final 4.

I think everyone agrees that George should look for open shots and take all that are available. That may be 3 or 12, depending on what the D gives him. Shoot until it plummets.

Medford, please amend your opening post. I am the keeper of all George King threads btw. I believe this honor was bestowed on me by those who ridiculed me for calling the young GK the best recruit in his class 3 short years ago.

I think everyone agrees that George should look for open shots and take all that are available. That may be 3 or 12, depending on what the D gives him. Shoot until it plummets.

Medford, please amend your opening post. I am the keeper of all George King threads btw. I believe this honor was bestowed on me by those who ridiculed me for calling the young GK the best recruit in his class 3 short years ago.

If he's only getting 3 in a game then that's a mistake on coaches not designing good enough offense for King, especially with a playmaker like White. It's either that or the opposition has an Andre Roberson level defender that they stuck on him.

If he's only getting 3 in a game then that's a mistake on coaches not designing good enough offense for King, especially with a playmaker like White. It's either that or the opposition has an Andre Roberson level defender that they stuck on him.

This has to be a football mentality. This isn't like saying we are going to give our RB 25 carries a game, or we're going to target our WR 12-15 targets. Basketball just doesn't work that way. You can't just say George shoot 9 threes with play calls.

Whatever, I know fellow hoop heads understand.

This has to be a football mentality. This isn't like saying we are going to give our RB 25 carries a game, or we're going to target our WR 12-15 targets. Basketball just doesn't work that way. You can't just say George shoot 9 threes with play calls.

Whatever, I know fellow hoop heads understand.

Jay Wright: "If you don't have personnel and length like a Kentucky, your best way of getting to the Final Four is by using the three," he says. "If you try to follow a Kentucky formula and you don't have that personnel, you'll get killed."

Lon Kruger: "Shooting the three is at the core of what we do."

It's not just about play calls. Its about the design of the offense. Championships are being won by emphasizing the 3 now in college & the NBA. But whatever, you can stay being a dinosaur 90's hoops head.

Jay Wright: "If you don't have personnel and length like a Kentucky, your best way of getting to the Final Four is by using the three," he says. "If you try to follow a Kentucky formula and you don't have that personnel, you'll get killed."

Lon Kruger: "Shooting the three is at the core of what we do."

It's not just about play calls. Its about the design of the offense. Championships are being won by emphasizing the 3 now in college & the NBA. But whatever, you can stay being a dinosaur 90's hoops head.

Quit moving the goal posts. Villanova stats last year: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/villanova/2016.html

5 guys shot over three 3s a game. Two more shot 1.9 3s per game. That's awesome. The three ball is fantastic, they were a tremendous team last year, they won it because they shot the three so well. No one shot 8-10. They have a team full of capable shooters. Kind of like how Colorado is built right now. I guarentee Jay Wright never says we have to get Kris Jenkins to shoot 9 threes tonight to win. They take the shots as they come in their offense.

Last edited:
So far they aren't forcing the 3 ball which I like(definitely seem passive at times) . A lot of dribble penetration which is great, they just need to finish better. Fortune especially. He does a good job of getting to the rim, but only seems to be able to hit the backboard on the layup.
You're right, but the most fun part about Fortune's game is watching him get stuff by the rim when he tries to dunk it. Already happened three times this year. Even as a CU fan I can't help but bust up laughing each and every time.

You're right, but the most fun part about Fortune's game is watching him get stuff by the rim when he tries to dunk it. Already happened three times this year. Even as a CU fan I can't help but bust up laughing each and every time.
Fortune = 3 TOs per game

Fortune's a streak shooter. He's been cold and he's pressing (26.3% from 3pt so far). Despite that, he's still our 4th leading scorer and is averaging double digits. I think fans are way too hard on him in general. Not for some of the criticisms of his ball security issues and difficulties he's had finishing in the lane, but because they don't seem to give credit for the positives. Dude also plays hard and stays aggressive.

Is it just me or does it seem like Akyazili's regressed? I never want to see him shooting the three and half the time he dribbles into traffic it's a turnover. No bueno.

Is it just me or does it seem like Akyazili's regressed? I never want to see him shooting the three and half the time he dribbles into traffic it's a turnover. No bueno.
I think his skill level has improved. He was the best passer, flashy and otherwise, we had last year and still is.

Problem is, he is playing all flash and no substance this year. Tad has to sit him down one and one and tell him the flash is great, but that pass and shot are not there more than every so often, and if he hasone more possession where he dribbles to the lane and throws up a crap shot when he's got options, he's simply not going to play.

Fortune's a streak shooter. He's been cold and he's pressing (26.3% from 3pt so far). Despite that, he's still our 4th leading scorer and is averaging double digits. I think fans are way too hard on him in general. Not for some of the criticisms of his ball security issues and difficulties he's had finishing in the lane, but because they don't seem to give credit for the positives. Dude also plays hard and stays aggressive.
I think the reasons the fans, including myself, are hard on Fortune is because his physical talent is obvious to anyone that watches the game. It just isn't translating to being the player he is capable of being, whether that be turnovers or just being inconsistent.

Still, watching someone so athletically gifted get stuffed by the rim is funny...I imagine he has gotten a bit of grief about those in the locker room too.

I think his skill level has improved. He was the best passer, flashy and otherwise, we had last year and still is.

I think Derrick White is our best passer. There's a lot that goes into that: style (Highlights), effectiveness (Assists), decision-making (A/T ratio). Thomas certainly wins the style points but Derrick is and will be the more effective passer this year for a couple of reasons. 1) He is a better scorer and the best passes are usually made when you draw help defense which Derrick will do with more frequency than Thomas. 2) Derrick is a bigger player, he can make passes over other players that Thomas can't.

They are both good passers but I expect Derrick White to lead the team in assists and A/T ratio, so I would call him the best passer on the team.

Agree with the OP. Stop forcing the ball down to Wes for mandated post moves. He's not Scott offensively and never will be. We have better options offensively as already discussed. His points should come from put-backs. Once in awhile he can uncannily shoot a jumper from the high post. Always to my surprise. He's better at that than a low-post drop-step power move.

It was nice to see White take the Texas game over during crunch time. He was not going to pass to Fortune or GMFK for some wild ass shot. He knew better with the game on the line. He calmly called for ball screens and took over.

Last edited:
Back