What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alana Chen, sister of Sabatino, found

Oh man! I saw a few social media posts about Alana missing yesterday....had no idea she was related to Sabatino. This is so incredibly sad. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Not sure where to put this, but since it's Buff community thought it deserved a thread. Started seeing tweets from a bunch of former Buffs about Alana having gone missing this weekend. According to this, she was found dead: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...day-found-dead-in-gross-reservoir-parking-lot

Prayers for Sab and his family.
Damn. So sad. If they really found her in the parking lot, I have to wonder if it was suicide. I used to work at gross reservoir and that was more common than you might think

Damn. So sad. If they really found her in the parking lot, I have to wonder if it was suicide. I used to work at gross reservoir and that was more common than you might think
It appears she was not found in the car

"After running a license plate check, deputies were able to determine the vehicle was registered to Chen.
Deputies said first responders began searching the area for Chen at around 7:40 a.m. Monday. Her body was found shortly after 1 p.m."

No foul play suspected. A body found out in the middle of the forest. That paints a pretty solid picture if you can connect the dots.

Tragic.

Just awful. Karma to the Chen family and loved ones as they try to move forward from this. :cry:

:cry:

DIsheartening. I wish courage to her family and friends. I also commend Rick George for focusing on mental health within his department--it's so important for young people.
Each of these people who we lose to mental health issues is a much greater loss than they would ever imagine.

I as well am glad that RG is focusing on mental health, we need as a society to do a much better job with it.

A woman I used to work with lost her son who was an internationally known athlete to mental health issues. She is handling it as well as could be expected but will never get over it as will his sisters.

I do know that Rick George’s mental health initiatives are being partially funded by contributions by executive at Arrow Electronics. It’s nice when corporate citizens and academia can effectively collaborate. Peace to the Chen family!

Out of every 100,000 teenagers in the United States who are 15 to 19 years old, 8.9 commit suicide.

In Colorado, that number nearly doubles to 17.6, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In respect to friends and family members of Alana and any person struggling with suicidal tendencies, resources exist - you aren’t alone. You are valuable.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-8255): Speak with someone who will provide free and confidential support 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To learn how to help someone in crisis, call the same number.

Colorado Crisis Services Hotline (1-844-493-8255): If you are in crisis or need help dealing with one, call 1-844-493-8255 or text “TALK” to 38255 to speak to a trained professional. When calling Colorado Crisis Services, you will be connected to a crisis counselor or trained professional with a master’s or doctoral degree.

The Trevor Project (1-866-488-7386): A 24/7 resource for LGBT youth struggling with a crisis or suicidal thoughts. The line is staffed by trained counselors.

Colorado Crisis Services Walk-In Locations: Walk-in crisis service centers are open 24/7, and offer confidential, in-person crisis support, information and referrals to anyone in need.

Colorado Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline: (1-844-264-5437): A resource to report suspected child abuse and neglect.

When a person is feeling suicidal, the last thing they are going to do is call a hotline.

Those resources are as much for intervening friends and family as for those suffering with depression, pain, suicidal tendencies, or whatever episode is killing the will to thrive.

Better to have those resources available than not.

Those resources are as much for intervening friends and family as for those suffering with depression, pain, suicidal tendencies, or whatever episode is killing the will to thrive.

Better to have those resources available than not.
This.

Far and away the most effective means of preventing suicide is the intervention of a friend, a co-worker, or some other person in that person's life.

We aren't experts on the subject, we aren't the professionals who can help with the issues. What we can be is the caring individual who get the person help that gives them a chance. These hotlines can be the resource we need to turn caring into help.

Don't hesitate to call if you think that a person you have contact with may be considering doing harm to themselves. If you are wrong you are still the person who cared enough to act, if you are right you might be the reason why we didn't lose somebody.

I don't want to have to go through life knowing that if I has just acted a person might still be here with us.

When a person is feeling suicidal, the last thing they are going to do is call a hotline.
You would be surprised. Suicide is not a rational act; it is inherently an irrational act.

Irrational people do what would appear to be odd things - like call a suicide hotline. The signs on bridges, train platforms, etc with the number on them really do save lives.

Back