What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Barry Odom - DC Arkansas

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Head coaching record
Administrative career (AD unless noted)
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
Playing career
Biographical details
Current position
Odommissouri.jpg
Odom at a Missouri football practice
TitleDefensive coordinator
TeamArkansas
ConferenceSEC
BornNovember 26, 1976(age 45)
Lawton, Oklahoma
Alma materUniversity of Missouri
1996–1999Missouri
Position(s)Middle linebacker
2000Ada HS (OK) (assistant)
2001–2002Rock Bridge HS (MO)
2003Missouri (GA)
2009–2011Missouri (S)
2012–2014Memphis (DC/LB)
2015Missouri (DC/LB)
2016–2019Missouri
2020–presentArkansas (AHC/DC/S)
2004–2005Missouri (Dir. of Recruiting)
2006–2008Missouri (Dir. Football Ops)
Overall14–8 (high school)
25–25 (college)
Bowls0–2
Odom spent 15 years with the Missouri Tigers program as a player, recruiter, assistant coach, and head coach. Born in Lawton, Oklahoma, Odom and his wife Tia were married in July 2000. Tia is a native of Kahoka, Missouri, and is a graduate of MU's College of Human Environmental Sciences. The couple have three children.[2]

Bio with some detail on his career on the Arkansas site:

He's one hell of a defensive coordinator.

Would need to have a plan, system and staff ready to roll for the offensive side. That's what held him back at Mizzou.

Most years, four of those wins were two SEC body bag games and then wins against Vanderbilt and Arkansas, when Arkansas was a train wreck.

fwiw, he took over a Mizzou team that went 1-7 in SEC play the year before.

Dude can coach and is a solid recruiter. Jury's out on how good of a Head Coach he is. Alma mater is tough, though.

but the years before that they were 23-5 (14-2), then it fell apart and Pinkel retired

damn Pinkel had that thing rolling a bit looking at it. 2 top 5 finishes in his last decade there, 5 top 25 finishes, 5 10+ win seasons

then again didn't we all point to him hoping Hawk would turn the ship around in like year 7.

TL;DR

**** Pinkel

Personally, I’m firmly in the offensive HC only camp.

This program desperately needs wins, but it also needs entertainment. We haven’t had a real college offense that’s fun to watch in idk how long.

We need a shot in the arm that I doubt a defensive coach can give us unless they’re a real elite top shelf guy.

Personally, I’m firmly in the offensive HC only camp.

This program desperately needs wins, but it also needs entertainment. We haven’t had a real college offense that’s fun to watch in idk how long.

We need a shot in the arm that I doubt a defensive coach can give us unless they’re a real elite top shelf guy.
I agree. But that doesn't necessarily rule out a defensive coach. Some D guys make it a priority to install an offense & associated coaches that they know is a pita to defend.

That would be my hope with Odom and demand of him after seeing the reason that he didn't have enough success at Mizzou and his experience at Arkansas with the Briles offense.

If he hasn't gotten religion on the need for an explosive offense, he's not a viable candidate to me.

Rumors he was a finalist last time. Arkansas has a pretty poor D this year too. Pass

He's one hell of a defensive coordinator.

Would need to have a plan, system and staff ready to roll for the offensive side. That's what held him back at Mizzou.
He's Justin Wilcox with a twang. Open mind on Odom, but I need a great OC to go with him or JW.

How about his DC at Mizzou, Ryan Walters? CU alum (which is NOT a consideration) but Denver native with ties here.
More importantly, he's been a productive DC without Odom leading him. In other words, he's learned from one of the best and actually learned.

I haven't dug in for awhile, but I think I liked everything about him except his CU ties! ;)

How about his DC at Mizzou, Ryan Walters? CU alum (which is NOT a consideration) but Denver native with ties here.
More importantly, he's been a productive DC without Odom leading him. In other words, he's learned from one of the best and actually learned.

I haven't dug in for awhile, but I think I liked everything about him except his CU ties! ;)
He’s got his own thread. Seems like a great candidate but obviously divisive as many in here are “never buffers” for their next coach which is understandable to an extent

He’s got his own thread. Seems like a great candidate but obviously divisive as many in here are “never buffers” for their next coach which is understandable to an extent
I am not finding that thread? I did see him mentioned in the generic search thread though.

Back