What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

bsn BSN: Alex Kinney punting his way to redemption

RSSBot

News Junkie
BOULDER – The praise from Colorado Buffaloes head coach Mike MacIntyre on Alex Kinney has been pretty obvious from the start of camp. It can be difficult to get a read on how coach MacIntyre feels at times but when asked about Kinney today he genuinely was impressed with the junior punter so far.

“Wow, yeah, yeah,” MacIntyre began in a way that only he could. “Well, his drop is more consistent. He’s worked really hard on his drop. I know that sounds minute but it’s just like a golf swing. If it’s off by even a centimeter it’s going crazy. So his drop and the way he’s doing it and the way his leg is coming through. As you saw the other day in the scrimmage, I know there wasn’t anybody out there, but he had eight punts that averaged about 52 yards and all of them were good.”

Punter is a difficult job in part because of the scrutiny. Fans like to think you can grab one off the street but it’s really not that easy. There’s a lot that needs to go right before it’s even in the punter’s control; the snap needs to be right and the blocking needs to be perfect. To assign sole blame for last season’s woes on Kinney would be doing him a disservice, but that doesn’t mean that last year didn’t add extra motivation for Kinney to get better.

“It wasn’t the best year but it gives you good experience,” says Kinney on his 2016 season. “I could almost say that I’ve been through everything, the ups, and downs, getting things blocked and all that. I guess it just gets me more comfortable out there knowing that I’ve been through it and I know how to bounce back.”

During the offseason, Kinney was working on his own to practice bad snaps. He’d practice catching a bad snap and then getting it back straight so he can repeat the same drop every time.

“100 percent,” Kinney said on if he’s seen improvement on the field during fall camp. “I think I’m being more consistent, they’re not as big of balls. I’m kind of slowing it down, only hitting it 90 percent. But the balls are turning over better and going further. It’s just more consistent all around.”

Another thing that has changed for Kinney is there’s a new voice helping coach the special teams, inside linebackers coach Ross Els. Els has prior experience as the special teams coach at Nebraska and New Mexico State and, although it’s not his official title and all of the coaches are expected to take up a role within special teams, Els has taken up the biggest role.

“I think we changed up a lot of things,” Kinney said of the effect of Els so far. “ I feel a lot more comfortable with the people that are out there with the punt team. I always felt comfortable but this is another level of comfort.”

Kinney is also rocking a new hairstyle since fall camp has started, a luscious mullet. Kinney said that he did it for July 4th for celebratory reasons and the conditioning coach, Drew Wilson, told him that he has to keep it. Kinney plans to keep it until he has a bad game and then he’ll go for the full buzz cut. Buffs fans will be hoping to see the mullet all season long.

Chase Howell
Continue reading...

Back