What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

bsn BSN: Vance Joseph’s former teammates and players voice support for his head coaching candidacy

RSSBot

News Junkie
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — “You want somebody that is very smart and bright,” Denver Broncos vice president of football operations and general manager John Elway told media on Monday afternoon, shedding a bit of light on what he would be looking for in the team’s head coaching search.

“In today’s world, in dealing with players, it’s a different world than it used to be, I think there’s a lot to that as far as dealing with the different personalities and the kids today,” he added. “Everybody is so close, so much of it is the relationship that goes on in that locker room, the relationship they have with the head coach and the effort that’s put out there. To be able to motivate a football team, to be able to be on the same page with a football team is as important as anything. Obviously, you want a guy that can manage people and understands what he wants to do on the offensive side as well as the defensive side, but also can manage coaches and manage players, which I think is the biggest part of that job these days.”

As it stands now, Elway and his team have been granted permission to interview three candidates for their opening: Atlanta offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, Kansas City special teams coordinator Dave Toub and Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph.

Joseph, as reported by Alex Marvel of the sporting news, appears to be the leader in the clubhouse for the job, and his relationship with former Colorado Buffaloes teammate, Broncos director of player personnel and John Elway’s right-hand man, Matt Russell, certainly does not hurt his candidacy.

Joseph spent four years in Boulder during the most storied stretch in program history (1990-1994), began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the university in 1999 and returned for his second defensive backs gig in 2002. Over the course of that time spent in Boulder, Joseph impacted many, and when you hear them talk you begin to think he fits that description laid out by John Elway pretty darn well.

Matt McChesney, player, 2002-2003

“VJ was one of the defensive coaches when I was there when we were winning Big-12 titles; he was a guy that played at CU so he had a lot of passion for what he was doing at that time and I’m sure that that’s translated tenfold into the NFL. I know that the guys in the league really love playing for him because he played and he knows how to relate to the players. He’s probably about as good as a player’s coach as you’re going to get, I know that he was at CU. You could go to Coach Joseph about anything that was going on in your life, and he was the type of coach that wouldn’t judge or point fingers or necessarily try to fix the situation, he’s just a guy that you could go talk to. I know that a lot of the players at Dove Valley now loved Kubiak because he was the same way, a guy that you could go unload to and talk to about your wife or football or all of this other BS. I think that if he does end up being the guy, which I really hope he is, you’re getting one helluva defensive mind, a guy that can motivate just about anybody that winds up in front of him and if he can’t motivate them, he’ll find somebody that can. Coach Joseph is the man, and I’m really pulling for him to get this job.”

“I think the fact that he’s young and this is going to be his first bite of the head coaching apple, I really think that that’s what they’re looking for over at Dove Valley, that youth and exuberance, somebody that’s really going to go attack the job. I think that’s one of his biggest assets, the fact that he’s a young guy and this is his first opportunity. He’s going to be working for a guy that he knows well in Matty Russell; he’s going to have that support here in Colorado. It’s kind of a homecoming for VJ, even though he wasn’t a Bronco he still has a lot of roots here in Colorado.”

Chad Brown, teammate, 1990-1993

“I talked to him several times this summer about an internship; he took a lot of time with me discussing what would be the best opportunity for me to make the most out of the experience. He was fantastic; he wanted me to go down to Miami with him but recognized that there were a lot of different variables in play for me in particular and he really took the time to guide me in the right direction, what he felt would be the most beneficial for me. Over the course of several conversations with Vance, I quickly realized that not only has this guy grown up tremendously—which I would expect from anybody going from 18 or 19 to their 40s—but his contacts around the league, his understanding of coaching staffs around the league—each coaching staff’s strong suits, maybe some weak suits—his understanding of players, being a leader of men. I walked away from those conversations thinking I was going to miss the opportunity to be an intern with him but also that he was going to make a tremendous head coach when that opportunity arises, I had no idea it would be six months later.”

“I think Vance would do a fantastic job. That would be absolutely amazing, what a full circle story for Vance for him to come back to Colorado, not as a Colorado Buffaloes assistant but to come back as the head coach of the Denver Broncos.”

Chris Hudson, teammate, 1990-1993

“VJ has always been smart. Knows the game of football as well as anyone. I’m not surprised that he would interview for a job of that magnitude. He has worked hard to get where he is and I’d love to see him get a chance.”

Darian Hagan, teammate, 1990-1991

“Vance is a very good coach, communicator and motivator that is a great leader of men. He was a great teammate and even better friend. I hope the Broncos brass sees this as they interview Vance.”

David Plati, CU sports information director

“Vance was always one of those players who had a great knowledge of the game. You could tell that when he was a player. He’s had a fairly rapid rise in the profession, and I believe he would be ready for a head coaching position.”

The Broncos will have to wait until next week to interview Joseph as his Dolphins will play in the first round of the playoffs on Sunday. They’ll interview their other to top candidates, Shanahan and Toub, this weekend.

Ryan Koenigsberg
Continue reading...

Back