What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

bsn BSN: Worthington is proving his worth for the Buffaloes

RSSBot

News Junkie
BOULDER – Head coach Mike MacIntyre loves himself a good adversity story. He has reiterated the importance of adversity when it comes to building character. One of the best adversity stories on the 2017 Colorado Buffaloes is that of Evan Worthington, formerly known as Evan White.

“[Worthington] was going through a lot in life,” MacIntyre explained. “There was a family change in there as you can see with the name, a lot of different things going on.”

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound safety was dismissed from the team before the 2016 season for violating team rules. Worthington was expected to be a starter and a big time contributor in 2016 after two very productive seasons. He was attributed with 33 tackles with the Buffaloes and he wasn’t able to be a part of The Rise.

“It was definitely terrible watching it,” Worthington said on having to watch his former team from the couch. “I love watching my teammates succeed and everything but, you know, being out for a whole year is terrible. Just the worst feeling ever. It just makes you real hungry and ready to come back.”

The redshirt junior rejoined the team in the spring and has made a glaring transformation according to MacIntyre, “I see a kid that left as a confused 19-year-old that came back as a mature 20-year-old.”

The now 21-year-old has not only grown mentally but he’s grown physically as well. He has the type of stature that fits in perfectly for MacIntyre’s new buff back position. It’s a position that’s currently taken to by Ryan Moeller but it’s definitely a place where they’ve been also trying out Worthington.

“Yeah I like playing it and I’m definitely learning it too,” the Colorado native said on trying out the buff back position. “They’ve just been throwing me everywhere that they want me to go. So wherever they put me, I’m just going to ball out.”

There are plenty of areas that we can expect to see Worthington balling out in 2017 because if he’s anywhere near the level that he was when he left, all indications are that he’s grown, the coaches will be forced to put him out there to make plays.

In college football, we tend to expect kids to grow up very quickly and sometimes that’s just not the way that life works. Worthington stepped away and was able to get a different view and it made him realize how important his football career really is.

“I learned a whole lot,” Worthington said. “It changes your whole perception on everything. When you’re just sitting at home like is this what you really want to be doing outside of football like I don’t want to be doing this, I want to play football for the rest of my life.”

MacIntyre talks about players going through adversity a lot but it’s easy to tell how excited he is about the maturity of Worthington. He put the situation in a way that very few could.

“He understood that his chance at life is this opportunity,” the head coach explained, “He’s blessed with what he’s done. He’s doing great in school, doing great on the football field and doing great off of the field. So I see a kid that grew up, that learned from it and took it. Some people don’t do that, some people start pouting and blaming it on everybody else. He didn’t, he looked inside and he’s really grown and it’s really exciting for me and for all of the players around too. And I’m excited for Evan Worthington.”

Chase Howell
Continue reading...

Back