What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

bsn BSN: You Don’t Know Beau: Bisharat capable of doing damage in 2017

RSSBot

News Junkie
BOULDER – When Beau Bisharat committed the night before signing day 2016, Colorado Buffaloes fans had high expectations for the four-star running back. Now that he has settled into Boulder and CU has their featured back in Phil Lindsay, the expectations have been tempered. He can focus on battling for the spell running back this season and then try to be the featured back in 2018.

“Of course, we’re losing quite a few guys next year,” Bisharat said when asked if he thinks of himself already battling for the starting role next season. “So I’m just competing, that’s all this is is just competing. Trying to show the coaches that you’re able to do the job.”

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound tailback had a pretty incredible high school career. He racked up 4,130 yards rushing while also picking up 849 yards in the air, with 49 touchdowns. Because of how good he was in high school, the expectations for Bisharat were warranted, but the important thing to have with him right now is patience. He gets to learn behind Lindsay, which should be a great benefit after this year.

“There’s nothing really like it,” Bisharat said. “First of all, he’s a really great guy. He’s been here for so long he has a whole bunch of knowledge, you know he’s played in a bunch of games and stuff. It’s great to be able to ask him hey how’d you do this or hey how’d you do that on certain protections and stuff like that. It’s really nice to have him in the backfield and take advantage of that before he takes off.”

As far as his role for this season goes, Bisharat said he’s battling for the No. 2 role, but that really he just wants to do whatever it takes to help the team win.

“I’m sure they’ll have certain packages that I’ll be in on,” Bisharat said. “I mean, really right now I’m just kind of trying to compete for that No. 2 spot and you know, whatever happens, happens. If I get it, there’s no telling what my role is. It’s a long season and anything can happen, obviously. I don’t wish (ill) upon Phil, but if stuff happens I’ll be ready to fill whatever role I have.”

He also expects to play a big role on special teams, where he played a lot in 2016 and a big reason why he played in every single game. He was given the Bill McCartney Award for excellence in special teams.

“I think I’m on every special team,” Bisharat said. “Obviously, there’s no real depth chart right now but just working out with each specific unit, I’m sure I’ll be on one of those.”

Some players don’t like the idea of contributing only on special teams because they consider themselves capable of much more. But, for now, Bisharat has embraced his role and knows it’s just a part of his growth process.

“I don’t mind [special teams],” Bisharat said. “I mean, anyway I can help the team. It’s a big deal when it comes to points. I do my part in trying to help out the special teams, you kind of just have to pay your dues.”

It’s hard to predict exactly what Bisharat’s role will look like in 2017 because, like he said, there’s so much that can happen over the course of the season. Whether it’s chasing down guys on the kickoff, protecting Steven Montez or running through guys with his huge frame, expect No. 35 to be out on the football field a lot this season.

But, maybe even more so in 2018.

Chase Howell
Continue reading...

Back