What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs (and state of Colorado) at the 2018 Olympics (Spoilers)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Wanted to start this thread, but got lazy.

Anyways, current Buff PETRA HYNCICOVA is on the course NOW in her 1st of (I think I heard) 3 or 4 races this Olympic games.

A few random social media and web things I've seen regarding Buff- connected and state of Colorado participants in these 2018 games-
The 6 Buffs (current and #forever) at the Games - https://www.cu.edu/article/cu-winter-olympics

Edit- Link to schedule and, after the event, results- https://www.olympic.org/pyeongchang-2018/results/en/general/competition-schedule.htm

Last edited:
Colorado has more athletes st these games than most countries. Does the IOC care? Probably not. I would tend to think that would be a very powerful fact. The Winter Olympics is a big deal in Colorado. Time to have the games here.

Article on yesterday's results, along with a summary of the next Buff (or Buff related) athletes competing-
http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/2/10/skiing-hyncicova-reid-complete-first-olympic-events.aspx

"
BOULDER — The first results are for Colorado Buffaloes competing at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in PyeongChang, South Korea.

Petra Hyncicova, a senior on the CU ski team and two-time NCAA individual champion, raced Saturday at the Alpensia Cross Country Center in the Ladies' 15K skiathlon that combines 7.5K of both cross country disciplines. She finished in 47th place with a time of 45.42.4. There were 61 racers, of which 60 finished Saturday.

Former CU Nordic skier Joanne Reid, who won the 2013 NCAA freestyle championship, is with the USA Biathlon team and competed in the women's 7.5K sprint at the Alpensia Biathlon Center Saturday.

She finished 86th with a time of 26:18.8.

Hyncicova's next race is the Ladies' Classic Sprint qualification heats that start at 1:30 a.m. MT on Tuesday, Feb. 13.

Also on Feb. 13, University of Colorado graduate Brian Hansen, who is making his third Olympic appearance, will be competing in the men's 1500m for Team USA starting at 4 a.m. MT.

Wiley Maple of the U.S. alpine team will be competing in the men's downhill on Sunday, Feb. 11 at the Jeongseon Alpine Centre. Wiley's father, Mike, helped lead the Colorado ski team to two NCAA titles in the early 80s while his sister, Alex, also skied at CU on the club team.
"

31 of 242 from Colorado, that's 1 of 8 of our athletes. Adds to the enjoyment

Wiley Maple of the U.S. alpine team will be competing in the men's downhill on Sunday, Feb. 11 at the Jeongseon Alpine Centre. Wiley's father, Mike, helped lead the Colorado ski team to two NCAA titles in the early 80s while his sister, Alex, also skied at CU on the club team.
"

Sorry to quote myself, but an update needed already to the cubuffs article, as the men's downhill, I assume due to snow and/ or weather conditions, has been delayed until Thursday. (Bummer personally, as the 2 (men's and women's) downhill are probably my #1 "need to watch" event of the whole Olympics, with alpine skiing overall being my #1 sport to watch. Hopefully not a sign all the Alpine events are going to have weather issues.)

Just finished watching the qualifying rounds of the women's half-pipe snowboarding, and all 4 Americans, including Coloradan (Steamboat) Arielle Gold (who was in the precarious last (12th) qualifying position for quite a bit after her 2nd run) advance.

(At least from an American perspective, definitely a "young person's game", as Ms. Gold, at 21, is a senior citizen compared to the top 2 American qualifiers (including gold medal favorite CHLOE KIM), who are both 17.)

After being the last one in in the women's half-pipe qualifying rounds yesterday, Steamboat's Arielle Gold comes back and gets a bronze! (As expected (although coming through when expected doesn't always happen), the U.S.'s Chloe Kim dominates. And, in what I assume may be her last Olympics, legend Kelly Clark finishes just off the podium in 4th.)

(And, personally, great to see that Alpine skiing has finally started, with the downhill portion of the men's alpine combined off and running.)

Edit- Just in case there's anyone left who still waits for NBC's delayed coverage, added "spoilers" to the thread title, as anything I watch (and I assume the majority of folks nowadays) and results I'll post will be live. (I also tried playing with the "Spoiler" functionality in the thread tools, but haven't figured it out yet.)

On that note, Eagle-Vail's Mikaela Shiffrin is in 2nd (and only .020 seconds back) after the 1st of 2 giant slalom runs. 2nd run scheduled to start in a little over an hour (believe 9:45 MT).

Last edited:
Steamboat's Mick Dierdorff was one of 2 Americans to be one of six finalists in the Men's snowboard cross competition, but neither medals, with Mr. Dierdorff finishing 5th. Obviously, being 5th in the world is pretty great in ANYTHING, so congrats to him!

Also, although I assume not considered a potential medal contender, Buff Petra Hyncicova is about ready to start the 10K freestyle nordic race (which I believe in her interview said was her best race). Looks like she's been assigned bib #8.

Last edited:
In one of those classic ambivalent sport finishes (that probably feels like at least a LITTLE disappointment now but will hopefully be looked at by her with GREAT pride in the future), congrats are in order for Vail's Lindsey Vonn, as she becomes the oldest women's Alpine skiing Olympic medalist (at 33), getting the bronze in the downhill!

In one of those classic ambivalent sport finishes (that probably feels like at least a LITTLE disappointment now but will hopefully be looked at by her with GREAT pride in the future), congrats are in order for Vail's Lindsey Vonn, as she becomes the oldest women's Alpine skiing Olympic medalist (at 33), getting the bronze in the downhill!

She is naturally disappointed as she wanted gold but considering the injuries she has fought through to stay competing a bronze is impressive.

Another Colorado medal, as Mikaela Shiffrin gets the silver in the Alpine Combined, (the last individual skiing event at the Olympics)!

(Think I read none of the top Americans (Shiffrin, Vonn, Ligety, etc.) are competing in the (new) team competition, which is the only event Alpine skiing event left.)

Buff Petra Hyncicova's last race (and one of the last competitions in the Olympics), the LONG 30K Nordic skiing race, has started. (Selfishly as a Buff fan, hope she doesn't go so much "into the red" that it effects her NCAA Championships performances when they start in ~1-1/2 weeks.)

Going to miss the Olympics. Thanks to all who competed and contributed for all the entertainment and excitement.

Back