What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs Defense May Become The Unsung Hero

currently giving up 21 ppg - 67th. Not great, not horrible.

YPG: 88th overall (bad)
YPP: 5.5 (75thish, bad)

Not getting to the passer either.

SP+ (one advanced metric ranking from Bill Connelly) has us as the 86th ranked defense. That's not good.

(FYI, nebraskas D is considered #3 in the land by SP+)

So good last 6 quarters but not a great start. I think we are more starved for anything that's not godawful.

Last edited:

Not getting to the passer either. So good last 6 quarters but not a great start. I think we are more starved for anything that's not godawful.
Yep. It's a defense that's playing winning football for a team with our style of offense- except needing to make more momentum plays. With the offense we play, it's going to be hard to ever have a top 40 defense.

18.7 ppg (removed the pick six that the defense had nothing to do with)

That's 45th
did ya check to see if that PPG doesn't include the pick 6? and then check to see which teams had given up offensive or special teams TDs in front of us?

I said this in another thread. I think the run D has been solid. but there is no sign of great pass rushing that everyone has been expecting. It could be that the hype is simply due to the incompetence of our OL. I still hold some hope because unlike previous years when we couldn't create any penetration, this year we actually created some penetrations, it just seems like we are always 1 step slower.

Biggest issue the D has had is the scrambling QB. Whether it's the designed run from NDSU to the QB rolling out of the pocket, they haven't been able to contain the QB. Once the DE's figure out how to apply pressure without allowing the QB to break containment it will be a huge step up. The run D has been pretty solid. The one off big chunk plays have been concerning.

The run D gave up one run of 62, and another run of 27. The rest of the game CSU ran 29 times for 42 yards
The run D gave up 4 10+ runs against NU. The rest of the game NU ran 31 times for 91 yards
The run D gave up 2 10+ runs against NDSU. The rest of the game NDSU ran 40 times for 110 yards

SP+ (one advanced metric ranking from Bill Connelly) has us as the 86th ranked defense. That's not good.

So good last 6 quarters but not a great start. I think we are more starved for anything that's not godawful.
If I remember from before SP+ went paywall, the metric starts as its press on projection and starts to average in weekly results. Otherwise it would swing wildly week to week for the first half of the season.

Biggest issue the D has had is the scrambling QB. Whether it's the designed run from NDSU to the QB rolling out of the pocket, they haven't been able to contain the QB. Once the DE's figure out how to apply pressure without allowing the QB to break containment it will be a huge step up. The run D has been pretty solid. The one off big chunk plays have been concerning.

The run D gave up one run of 62, and another run of 27. The rest of the game CSU ran 29 times for 42 yards
The run D gave up 4 10+ runs against NU. The rest of the game NU ran 31 times for 91 yards
The run D gave up 2 10+ runs against NDSU. The rest of the game NDSU ran 40 times for 110 yards
A big part of that is man to man coverage that is played most of the time. It invites the QB to hit a crease and go because nobody on the second level is looking.

If I remember from before SP+ went paywall, the metric starts as its press on projection and starts to average in weekly results. Otherwise it would swing wildly week to week for the first half of the season.
Correct. I think it takes 6 games or so for preseason to be out. I'm not sure how or if he's changed it to account for the portal though

Correct. I think it takes 6 games or so for preseason to be out. I'm not sure how or if he's changed it to account for the portal though
I also don’t know how he accounts for a team like NDSU which is probably an average FBS team. If I remember, all FCS was basically #133 in the nation. I could be wrong.

I also don’t know how he accounts for a team like NDSU which is probably an average FBS team. If I remember, all FCS was basically #133 in the nation. I could be wrong.
He ranks all 760 whatever college football teams now. I'll try and find the image

SP+ is still heavily driven by past year & preseason projections, think week 5 or 6 is when the prior really starts getting dialed down

A big part of that is man to man coverage that is played most of the time. It invites the QB to hit a crease and go because nobody on the second level is looking.
Some of these upcoming B12 offenses are pretty fast and adaptable. It’s going to be a wild ride going forward. We drew a formidable conference sked this first season, even with an improved D.

I've been relatively pleased with the D. Certainly need more QB pressure. They seem to have been adjusting as games go on, a great attribute we have not always seen!

Doing better vs the run. Inconsistent, but pretty strong there.

Doing very well covering WRs outside the hashes. Team strength.

Turned a corner with forcing turnovers in the CSU game. Need to make that a trend vs a blip.

Biggest thing that needs to happen is for the pass rush to start getting home - especially when only rushing 4 and not having to blitz to generate sacks & TFLs.

Back