What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs Hoops is the best entertainment value in Boulder

hokiehead

it never always keeps getting worse
Club Member
I can probably include Denver in there too, actually.

The cost of living is higher in CO than any other area I've lived and this is reflected strongly in entertainment prices. Concerts, theaters, sporting events all run higher in this area than I saw anywhere else. But, when one relocates, one must accept things like this and adjust.

In that context, CU Buffs hoops is an amazing entertainment value and I don't understand why more people aren't "consuming" this product. Buying tickets directly through the university, single games start at $15 ($20 for Pac-12 games) and there's a 5 pack on sale right now where you can pick any five games for $65. That is crazy cheap.

Even if you're not a fan of the Buffs, we're talking about Pac-12 basketball, one of the top leagues in the nation, in an arena with great "sightlines" and annually updated modern amenities, where you can now drink beer at your seat. Oh, and this venue sits on one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. And parking is free.

And the Buffs are competitive and fun to watch!

Compare that quality of entertainment with that cost. If someone knows of a better value in the Boulder area (besides the RMNP annual pass), please let me know -- I want in.

Good post. This team is FUN to watch.

Students, I'm lookin at you. The difference between last night and 4 years ago was... sad.
Last night was embarrassing, no leadership, no coordination. That student section was flat out dead

Credit where credit is due. Mike Bohn marketed MBB and got butts in seats.

Sad,

Don't think it would cost a lot to actively market and generate stronger student interest. Important because the current students are the future season ticket buyers and donors. A lively, energetic student section also brings a lot of energy to the building making it more fun and a better value for the regular ticket buying fans.

i agree that going to mens hoop games is a bargain and this young team is fun to watch...heck my total cost for hoops season tix is less than what i pay for one game in football...that said my highschool drew more students than the buffs are right now..dont tell me all the students are busy studying

Do the student sport passes for football give admission to basketball? All it takes for good student section is numbers, enthusiasm, and organizational strategy. Utah has MUSS. ASU has the crew and tired and worn out Curtain of Distraction. Arizona gold standard. The challenge on 1/6 is to have more students than Arizona fans. You know the red is coming.

Do the student sport passes for football give admission to basketball? All it takes for good student section is numbers, enthusiasm, and organizational strategy. Utah has MUSS. ASU has the crew and tired and worn out Curtain of Distraction. Arizona gold standard. The challenge on 1/6 is to have more students than Arizona fans. You know the red is coming.

Why not, it is their chance to finally see a good team play. :cool:

But they are two very different entertainment products. I much prefer the men's basketball product over the women's product, in a general sense.
I'm becoming more and more of an advocate for lowering the women's baskets to 9 feet. I keep thinking about how exciting women's volleyball is to watch and how boring it would be for me if the nets were at men's heights, taking spikes out of the game.

I'm old school. I have watched the women's game the way it is since the program started at CU. Athletes have become bigger and taller. They are definitely stronger because of the weight training they do now. For now, only few women can dunk and that is fine with me.

Time will tell how the game develops. I do agree that they men's and women's games are very different products. About the only men's basketball I watch is CU. I prefer the women's game.

I'm old school. I have watched the women's game the way it is since the program started at CU. Athletes have become bigger and taller. They are definitely stronger because of the weight training they do now. For now, only few women can dunk and that is fine with me.

Time will tell how the game develops. I do agree that they men's and women's games are very different products. About the only men's basketball I watch is CU. I prefer the women's game.
I appreciate that. Everyone has different tastes. I was thinking just the opposite though. I will sit down and watch a men's college game that I have no rooting interest, but would be a stretch to watch any women's BB other than CU or OU.

Last edited:
For me, it's the opposite. As long as it isn't UConn, who I will not watch unless it appears they are about to get beat, I will watch most women's games.

Neither of us are wrong. Our tastes are different.

I'm becoming more and more of an advocate for lowering the women's baskets to 9 feet. I keep thinking about how exciting women's volleyball is to watch and how boring it would be for me if the nets were at men's heights, taking spikes out of the game.
I disagree, just because I don't personally need dunks in the women's game. I enjoy it for what it is.

I prefer the men's game but don't want the women's game to try to be a copy of it. Yes the general concepts are the same but each game should be enjoyed for what it is.

Even though the women have become much more athletic and physical they are not going to compete with the men's game in that regard and shouldn't try. Instead they should concentrate on what they do better with better floor spacing, quicker passing that is intended to move a defense, more team defense. In sum the women's game is much more of a team oriented game. They don't need somebody dunking the ball or throwing up crazy one on one moves to be quality, entertaining basketball.

Arguably the greatest athletes in the world are in the NBA yet I find myself watching that product less and less because it lacks certain elements that are the foundation of the women's game and has become stale.

I don't understand how there are not more students at each home game. Same was true back in my day lived in kittredge and would walk over for games all the time amd get great seats do to lack of crowd.

I prefer the men's game but don't want the women's game to try to be a copy of it. Yes the general concepts are the same but each game should be enjoyed for what it is.

Even though the women have become much more athletic and physical they are not going to compete with the men's game in that regard and shouldn't try. Instead they should concentrate on what they do better with better floor spacing, quicker passing that is intended to move a defense, more team defense. In sum the women's game is much more of a team oriented game. They don't need somebody dunking the ball or throwing up crazy one on one moves to be quality, entertaining basketball.

Arguably the greatest athletes in the world are in the NBA yet I find myself watching that product less and less because it lacks certain elements that are the foundation of the women's game and has become stale.

Agree with what you say about the women's game.

I can no longer watch the NBA unless it is to watch a CU alum. Do not care for the it's all about me attitude of some players. Again, just my personal preference.

I wholeheartedly agree that MBB tickets are the best value in Boulder. How about the Denver area? I have to think those DU Pioneer hockey tickets are pretty good value as well.

For me, it's the opposite. As long as it isn't UConn, who I will not watch unless it appears they are about to get beat, I will watch most women's games.

Neither of us are wrong. Our tastes are different.

Hey Buffgal! Hope you're doing well. Just curious as to why you don't like UConn, other than general dynasty-dislike. Other than that I think that Geno/UConn has been an overall benefit to the women's game for the general public in that it created some needed publicity and recognition for the game when it was needed. You are much more informed about women's Bball than I am which is why I ask. Thoughts?

Hey Buffgal! Hope you're doing well. Just curious as to why you don't like UConn, other than general dynasty-dislike. Other than that I think that Geno/UConn has been an overall benefit to the women's game for the general public in that it created some needed publicity and recognition for the game when it was needed. You are much more informed about women's Bball than I am which is why I ask. Thoughts?
You didn't ask me, but I'll answer for me :D I just know almost any time I turn to a UConn game it will be a blowout. Don't think it's bad for the game or anything, just boring. Their game vs ND was good. They won't roll quite as easily to another NC this year, a couple times I think are capable of threatening them. But conference play will be *yawn*

I was working with a group in Connecticut two years ago and many were UConn grads. Talking to a pair of Huskies one day about their women's team, and both of them agreed on the same point -- "we love the women's team, but never go to the games and usually don't watch on TV. the team is too good -- they either blow out their opponent by 50 points, which is boring, or if they don't blow out the opponent, we get mad because they're not blowing out the other team"

UConn WBB games get on television because ESPN equals UConn. Too many blowouts. Not interested in watching blowouts. I didn't used to watch Tennessee when they were doing the same thing.

I only watch blowouts of my team and I have been known to give up on them. Sometimes I have been sorry because a game isn't over until it's over.

I watched Texas vs. Tennessee yesterday and that was a great WBB game for a fan of the game. It was decided in the final minute. If UConn was doing that in their games, I would probably watch.

I don't care for Geno and his attitude. I didn't care for the attitude of Pat Summitt. Yes, both were/are excellent coaches but I don't care for their sense of entitlement. Both Geno and Pat felt their teams were entitled to #1 seeds every single year, whether they were or not.

I don't enjoy the way Kim Mulkey schedules her team in the non-conference and I also do not like the way she behaves on the court during games so I don't watch many Baylor games.

I would like to see the Buffs WBB non-conference schedule upgraded a lot. Why are they playing a DIII school in December?

I
UConn WBB games get on television because ESPN equals UConn. Too many blowouts. Not interested in watching blowouts. I didn't used to watch Tennessee when they were doing the same thing.

I only watch blowouts of my team and I have been known to give up on them. Sometimes I have been sorry because a game isn't over until it's over.

I watched Texas vs. Tennessee yesterday and that was a great WBB game for a fan of the game. It was decided in the final minute. If UConn was doing that in their games, I would probably watch.

I don't care for Geno and his attitude. I didn't care for the attitude of Pat Summitt. Yes, both were/are excellent coaches but I don't care for their sense of entitlement. Both Geno and Pat felt their teams were entitled to #1 seeds every single year, whether they were or not.

I don't enjoy the way Kim Mulkey schedules her team in the non-conference and I also do not like the way she behaves on the court during games so I don't watch many Baylor games.

I would like to see the Buffs WBB non-conference schedule upgraded a lot. Why are they playing a DIII school in December?

I agree that Kim Mulkey seems to be kind of a train wreck personality wise. And I don't like blowout games either, whether they are women's games or men's games. I also agree that the CU women's program could upgrade its OOC schedule a bit. I sure like the new regime however. It seems like the future is bright.

I do believe the future is bright at CU. A Dartmouth players was a Mullen grad so they probably wanted a game with CU.

I've been watching CU WBB since 1974. Before Title IX, CU had a very good team but little money to travel. They played all the small schools around the front range. The only excitement for a few years was if the team would break 100. If they didn't, the fans were disappointed. I always thought that was one reason why, at that time, they were lucky to have 100 fans in Coors.

Back