What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs vs TCU - Sept 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Buffs

I sure miss Dallas and Idot Buff
Club Member
Not too early to start planning Coach Prime’s debut. What is the process for securing tickets for Buff season ticket holders? Is Sacky ready for a Fort Worth tailgate? Let’s go bitches.

I had been thinking about going to this game after watching TCU a few times this season and Ft. Worth seems like it would be a good road trip. But now with the CP hire I'll be in CO for over a week for the first 2 home games so not sure anymore.

I think we’ll lose, but +18.5 seems ridiculous. Especially after what a debacle TCU had vs UGA.

The TCU team of 2023 will be vastly different to the 2022 one

Replacing more than a dozen starters and a new QB

They ain't at the UGA/Alabama level where they can plug-in-play 4/5* new players
They were lucky not to have several losses last year, and they lost Duggan and their one real offensive weapon at wide receiver. I'm not saying we win, but they'll be worse, and we'll be a lot better.

Reactions: DBT
GameDay will be headed there. Horny Devils are 8-2 when GameDay is present for their games....

I think it’ll be an interesting game. The 2022 TCU season was a fluke, and the Buffs were a poorly coached team and unable to execute. Both teams could potentially be vastly different come September.

Regardless, I expect/am hopeful for an upset by the Buffs. Then come back to Folsom to break the spirit of the Matt Rhule-led Nubs.

I think it’ll be an interesting game. The 2022 TCU season was a fluke, and the Buffs were a poorly coached team and unable to execute. Both teams could potentially be vastly different come September.

Regardless, I expect/am hopeful for an upset by the Buffs. Then come back to Folsom to break the spirit of the Matt Rhule-led Nubs.
Not a fluke, but absolutely a lot of fortunate circumstances that let TCU achieve its highest potential upside on the season. Lightning rarely strikes twice. I expect a significant step back.

I understand USC had a much higher baseline talent level when Riley took over, but if you are what your record says you are, that was still a 4-8 team in 2021 that turned into an 11-1 team and played for the Pac 12 Championship in 2022.

What were the biggest additions to that team that allowed them to have such a dramatic turnaround? A Heisman caliber (winning) QB transfer, a Biletnikoff WR transfer, among other WR transfers that created tons of quality options and depth, and a really good RB transfer. They added some talented players on defense, but their defense was garbage and I would say they won in spite of that unit.

Shedeur is obviously an unknown at the P5 level, but most of the country is sleeping on him as one of the top QBs in the country. CU is going to have the best QB on the field in probably 10 or 11 of the 12 matchups in 2023, and I think people underestimate the impact that's going to have on CU's success.

I understand USC had a much higher baseline talent level when Riley took over, but if you are what your record says you are, that was still a 4-8 team in 2021 that turned into an 11-1 team and played for the Pac 12 Championship in 2022.

What were the biggest additions to that team that allowed them to have such a dramatic turnaround? A Heisman caliber (winning) QB transfer, a Biletnikoff WR transfer, among other WR transfers that created tons of quality options and depth, and a really good RB transfer. They added some talented players on defense, but their defense was garbage and I would say they won in spite of that unit.

Shedeur is obviously an unknown at the P5 level, but most of the country is sleeping on him as one of the top QBs in the country. CU is going to have the best QB on the field in probably 10 or 11 of the 12 matchups in 2023, and I think people underestimate the impact that's going to have on CU's success.
In short, if you have a QB throw for over 3,000 yards then you're almost certainly going to win most of your games. Sanders achieved that as a frosh & soph.

TCU had a lot of change in the off-season. From what I’ve read, these are the key losses of offense (starters on 2022 team):

QB Max Duggan
WR Quentin Johnson (probably their best overall player)
WR Darius Davis
WR Taye Barber
RB Kendre Miller
C Alan Ali
LG Steve Avila (2nd team all-American)
RG Wes Harris

As you can see, TCU has to replace almost its entire offense, plus its OC in Garrett Riley, who left for Clemson.

At QB, TCU does have Chandler Morris returning, who, as Buff fans will remember, was the starter in the season opener. He didn’t look good, but Dykes seems comfortable with him.

At WR, they lost almost all of the production and Quentin Johnson was a stud. I believe the Frogs are high on underclassman Jordan Hudson, and they hit the portal hard with Jaylon Robinson (Ole Miss, 88 transfer rating), John Paul Richardson (Ok State, 89 transfer rating), and the diminutive Jojo Earle (Alabama 91 transfer rating).

On the OL, they added a name familiar to the Buffs in Jackson State transfer Willis Patrick, as well as former Crimson Tide 5⭐️ Tommy BrockMeyer at OT.

TCU was not the same team without RB Kendre Miller, who was nicked up for the national championship game. He is gone, and they have some youngsters they like and brought in Trey Sanders from Alabama, who had also reached out to Prime several times.

The starting TE toyed with leaving but returns for another year, which was a positive for them.

On defense, they lost their best DL in Dylan Horton, and their best LBer in Dee Winters.

In sum, there is a ton of 2022 production to replace, but the Horned Frogs did hit the portal well. Similar to CU, a lot of their success will depend on how these pieces all gel and also how well Chandler Morris mans the QB position. Both CU and TCU still seem suspect on defense heading into 2023.

They were lucky not to have several losses last year, and they lost Duggan and their one real offensive weapon at wide receiver. I'm not saying we win, but they'll be worse, and we'll be a lot better.
We, 1-11 CU, were basically tied with them at half time. Them getting to the title game was a mega fluke. Or, if you prefer @Buffnik’s take, a lot of fortunate circumstances.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back