What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chauncey wants to coach

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but someone who aspires to be a successful NBA coach shouldn’t just take the first job that comes along. Taking a top assistant job with a championship contender sounds like a great first step to me.

Congrats Chauncey-but I gotta say I'm not sure if I get the outrage from Blazer fans. He's done TV for ESPN, been vetted for the Pacers' gig last year, and spent this year as the Clippers' lead assistant-and I can't remember this coming up before?

Congrats Chauncey-but I gotta say I'm not sure if I get the outrage from Blazer fans. He's done TV for ESPN, been vetted for the Pacers' gig last year, and spent this year as the Clippers' lead assistant-and I can't remember this coming up before?
If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, I never knew about it myself. That sure as hell doesn't mean he did anything wrong. I just didn't even know that happened.

NBA is much more about hiring former players as HCs (and execs) than other sports leagues. It seems to be getting extra emphasis this year after these playoffs.

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, I never knew about it myself. That sure as hell doesn't mean he did anything wrong. I just didn't even know that happened.

Yeah. I knew about it before, but I knew he had been vetted by ESPN (who would not have hired him had they found something they didn't like) and two NBA teams before the Blazers. Blazer fan outrage seems a little odd to me given all that.

Yeah. I knew about it before, but I knew he had been vetted by ESPN (who would not have hired him had they found something they didn't like) and two NBA teams before the Blazers. Blazer fan outrage seems a little odd to me given all that.
There's some politics. Lots of folks were excited about Becky Hammon. Some of those people weren't paying attention because of basketball - they were focused on the breaking of the gender barrier. Being let down because she was passed over for a guy who paid off a rape accuser is a frustrating narrative. Considering the decision was made by one of the few female owners (I think I'm supposed to call them "governors" now") in professional sports, I don't think there's much of anything to see here.

Hammon will get her shot, maybe this year. It just won't be Portland. Good coach and the whole NBA seems to love coaches from the Pop tree.

There's some politics. Lots of folks were excited about Becky Hammon. Some of those people weren't paying attention because of basketball - they were focused on the breaking of the gender barrier. Being let down because she was passed over for a guy who paid off a rape accuser is a frustrating narrative. Considering the decision was made by one of the few female owners (I think I'm supposed to call them "governors" now") in professional sports, I don't think there's much of anything to see here.

Hammon will get her shot, maybe this year. It just won't be Portland. Good coach and the whole NBA seems to love coaches from the Pop tree.
I think San Antonio would be a perfect spot for her. Pop isn't gonna coach forever and the players respect her. Sue Bird is another I think could do it.

He has already proven he can lead a team and mentor young players on that level. Proven he knows what it takes to win. That's most of the job.

I think he's a great fit for that roster-seems like there are a few meatheads on that team.

He has already proven he can lead a team and mentor young players on that level. Proven he knows what it takes to win. That's most of the job.
Portland’s ceiling with this group is capped by their defense. If he can get their D in order, they can be a contender.

If I'm the Magic, I'm hiring Hammon.

If I’m Hammon, I’m running away from that job. That person is being set up to fail. They’re starting a long rebuild. If it goes well, odds are they’re going to can whatever coach gets them there to “take the next step”.

Back