What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CROSS COUNTRY 2024 pre and regular season season news and results

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Thought I'd start this thread earlier than normal for us to start noting anything related to the men's and women's cross country teams for the 2024 season. I'm doing this since the team announced their schedule a few days ago, and some of the squad actually participated at races in Wyoming yesterday. (See my next post for the article of what happened in Laramie.)

This thread will be used for pre-season and general news, as well as all regular season action. (Starting with the Big 12 Championships scheduled to be held in Waco November 1st, I will start individual threads for the different major competitions.)

That initial*** schedule (also available at https://cubuffs.com/sports/cross-country/schedule) is -

(***Don't know if it will be the same for new Coach Carlson, but I always like to note that it seems like the cross country and track and field teams, at least under Coach Wetmore, seemed to be the sport that most often changes parts of their regular season as the seasons develop.)

As noted in my original post above, the team formally*** started its action yesterday at races hosted by Wyoming.

***As with Coach Wetmore, and I assume most if not all XC coaches including new Coach Carlson, these 1st races are considered necessary annoyances, and in almost all cases the coaches only run their young and other developmental runners, letting their top (AKA varsity) runners keep going in their intense base-building training. (I believe the only reason teams typically race in these late August races is that NCAA rules prohibit teams from beginning to practice as early as coaches want if they don't formally race by a certain (EARLY) date.)

Article on the races - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/8/30/cross-country-buffs-wrap-up-first-invitational-in-wyoming

"

Buffs Wrap Up First Invitational in Wyoming​

By: Tanner Kay, Athletic Communication Associate

CHEYENNE, Wy. — The Colorado Buffaloes cross country team kicked off the 2024-25 season during the Wyoming Invite on Friday morning. Colorado State, Northern Colorado, and Wyoming all competed alongside the Buffs in a 5K race for both the men and women.

WOMEN
The Buffs had two women finish inside the top-15, Whitney Valenti and Caroline Mehlhorn, while Emma Hadley placed inside the top-25.

Valenti ran a time of 18:28.0, grabbing the highest Colorado finish at 11th overall. This marks just the second time that the southern California native has competed in a 5K event during her collegiate career. Her personal best time was recorded last year at the Virginia Invitational (17:29.4).

Mehlhorn ran the second best time of the day for CU, placing 13th with a time of 18:37.3. It was the first 5K race for Mehlhorn in her time as a Buff.

Finishing 23rd in the event with a time of 19:10.6, Emma Hadley rounded out the third top-25 finish for Colorado, contributing to their 3rd place finish as a team on the women's side.

MEN
Shortly after the conclusion of the women's race, the men from all four schools took off for their own 5K event. The Buffaloes were able to nab three top-20 finishes, including two inside the top-10.

Charles Robertson, the senior out of Oregon, boasted the top finish for CU. He finished with a time of 15:12.9, a personal record, and good enough for a 6th place finish.

Rounding out the top-10 was Wilson Georges, after running an impressive 15:20.7, also a personal record for the redshirt sophomore.

Conner Wingfield went on to finish 20th overall (15:36.7) in his first career 5K event. Also a newcomer to the event, Reese Kilbarger-Stumpf, finished just a few seconds behind Wingfield (15:39.3) for a 21st place finish.

RESULTS

WOMEN:

11th - Whitney Valenti (18:28.0)

13th - Caroline Mehlhorn (18:37.3)

23rd - Emma Hadley (19:10.6)

32nd - Sierra Parks (19:37.0)

44th - Helen Carlson (20:33.4)

MEN:

6th - Charles Robertson (15:12.9)

10th - Wilson Georges (15:20.7)

20th - Conner Wingfield (15:36.7)

21st - Reese Kilbarger-Stumpf (15:39.3)

27th - Tyler Scholl (15:50.9)

35th - Conner Wirth (16:29.5)

36th - Antonio Camacho-Bucks (16:32.0)

WOMEN'S TEAM RESULTS
"

Full results - http://results.tfmeetpro.com/Big_Red_Running_LLC/2024_Wyoming_Invite/

Back