What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU@Game CU At The Game: Colorado Basketball

RSSBot

News Junkie

Colorado Basketball

March 3rd

… CU in the Arena …

Buffs rally, but fail to overcome 17-point halftime deficit

From CUBuffs.com … After digging themselves a 17-point hole Saturday night, the Colorado Buffaloes came close to climbing all the way out.

But in the end, the Buffs rally fell short as CU dropped a 64-54 decision to Utah in their regular season finale at the Huntsman Center.

The loss, Colorado’s 10th in 11 road games this year and sixth straight on Utah’s home floor, dropped CU to 16-14 overall and 8-10 in the Pac-12 while Utah improved to 19-10, 11-7.

Colorado trailed by 17 at the half, 41-24, but slowly chipped away at the Utes’ lead after halftime, closing to within four, 46-42.

That, however, was as close as CU could come, as the Utes finally ended an eight-minute scoring drought to slowly build the lead back up to nine, then hold on down the stretch.

“The second half, our guys scratched and clawed,” CU head coach Tad Boyle said. “We cut it to four. Really proud of those young guys. We had four freshmen and a sophomore on the floor. Maybe they ran out of a little bit of juice, but I can’t fault them for their effort and their toughness.”

Freshman McKinley Wright IV led CU with 16 points and six rebounds while sophomore Lucas Siewert added 11 points and seven rebounds.

Justin Bibbins scored 24 points, including six 3-pointers, for Utah. The Utes also hit 20 of their 26 free throws while Colorado was 7-for-11 from the line.

The Buffs will now face Arizona State on Wednesday at 1 p.m. in the first game of the Pac-12 tournament in at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Continue reading story here

—–

March 2nd

… CU in the Arena …

Tad Boyle: “I’ve said this before — I would not trade McKinley Wright for any freshman”

From CUBuffs.com … Last week, Colorado basketball fans saw a great glimpse of the present and future at the same time.

In back-to-back games, CU fans had the chance to watch two of the best point guards in the Pac-12, USC’s Jordan McLaughlin and UCLA’s Aaron Holiday.

At the same time, they also got to see a player who has all the potential of holding that designation in the very near future, Colorado’s McKinley Wright IV. The CU freshman held his own against both, helping Colorado to a split in their two games against the Los Angeles schools, but maybe more importantly, he continued to confirm what he has been proving all season:

The future of Colorado basketball is in very good hands.

“I’ve said this before — I would not trade McKinley Wright for any freshman,” head coach Tad Boyle said. “People think I’m nuts when I say that. (But) DeAndre Ayton (of Arizona) is going to be in the NBA next year. McKinley’s going to be here next year … He’s terrific.”

Wright has indeed been outstanding for the Buffs this year, bringing not only a healthy dose of stability to the point guard spot, but also a strong measure of consistency to a team that has otherwise had its share of ups and downs.

Game Notes … Colorado is 16-13 overall and 8-9 in the Pac-12 Conference after splitting with the Southern California schools at home last week. Colorado enters the weekend tied with Arizona State for eighth place in the Pac-12 having won four of its last seven.

The Buffaloes could still tie for seventh in the final Pac-12 standings, but unofficially appear to be locked in to a No. 8 vs. No. 9 seed game with the Sun Devils in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament in Las Vegas, March 7-10.

Colorado is averaging 72.0 points per game while shooting 44.0 percent from the field. Overall the Buffaloes have been balanced in
scoring with three players averaging double-figures and seven active Buffs averaging between five and 14 points an outing. Defensively, Colorado is allowing 72.6 points per game while holding opponents to 42.1 percent shooting and 35.2 percent from 3-point range.

Colorado is second in field goal defense and defensive rebounds (27.4 drpg) and third in overall rebounds (37.7 rpg) and rebounding
margin (+3.3) on the Pac-12 charts. During conference play, the Buffaloes have the Pac-12’s top field goal defense (.423), and rank
second in blocks (4.4 bpg).

THE UTES … Utah is 18-10 overall and enters the final day of the regular season in a four-way tie for third place in the Pac-12 at 10-7,
joining UCLA, Washington and Stanford. The Utes saw a five-game winning streak snapped with a 74-58 setback to USC at home on Feb. 24.

Utah averages 74.1 points per game on 45.6 percent shooting. Beyond the arc, the Utes hit 9.2 3-pointers a game ranking second in the Pac-12. Utah sports the Pac-12’s top scoring defense at 69.3 points per game and holds the league’s best overall field goal defense team at 42.0 percent, just a fraction ahead of Colorado.

THE SERIES … This will be the 49th meeting between Colorado and Utah with the Buffaloes holding a 27-21 series lead. The Buffaloes snapped a seven-game skid in the series with a 67-55 win at the Coors Events Center on Feb. 2. Utah has won eight of the last 11 and has an 8-6 edge since the two teams joined the Pac-12 for the 2011-12 season. The Utes hold a 14-8 lead in Salt Lake City and have won the last five.

Tad Boyle is 6-8 in his career against Utah. Larry Krystkowiak is 8-6 against Colorado as a collegiate head coach.

—–

March 1st

… CU in the Arena …

Arizona’s coach Sean Miller receives vote of confidence from Board of Regents, back on the bench

From ESPN … Arizona men’s basketball coach Sean Miller on Thursday vehemently denied an ESPN report about an alleged pay-to-play conversation, while getting a show of support from university president Robert Robbins and the school’s board of regents.

In his first public comments since the report detailing his alleged involvement in a discussion to pay a potential recruit, Miller said he never knowingly violated NCAA rules and has never paid a recruit.

“I never have, and I never will,” Miller said.

“I also understand that there is an ongoing federal investigation, and because of this, I cannot do anything that might compromise the integrity of this investigation. However, on this point, I cannot remain silent in light of media reports that have impugned the reputation of me, the university, and sullied the name of a tremendous young man, Deandre Ayton.”

After the Arizona Board of Regents met later Thursday, Robbins said Miller would remain the coach at Arizona.

“At this time we have no reason to believe Coach Miller violated NCAA rules or any laws regarding the allegations reported in the media,” Robbins said. “Additionally, he has a record of compliance with NCAA rules, and he has been cooperative with this process.

Stuart
Continue reading...

Back