What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU@Game CU At The Game: Colorado Daily – UCLA

RSSBot

News Junkie

Colorado Daily – UCLA

September 23rd

… CU in a few minutes …

Redshirt freshman offensive tackle gaining experience: “I’m getting there”

From CUBuffs.com … It may not have been the optimal time for William Sherman to get his first “critical” snaps as a Division I offensive lineman: on the road, in one of college football’s most hostile environments, with the Buffs trailing against a defense determined to get to Colorado quarterback Steven Montez as often as possible.

But that’s exactly where Sherman got his initiation with Colorado’s No. 1 offense — and down the stretch at Nebraska, the CU redshirt freshman did his job, including throwing a big block on NU linebacker Alex Davis on the Buffs’ game-winning touchdown.

“That was a confidence builder,” said Sherman, who had 34 snaps in the game in a relief appearance at left tackle. “As soon as my number was called, I told myself, ‘If we don’t win the game, it’s going to be because of me. So lock in and do whatever you can to help us get this win.'”

Sherman did lock in. He had a key role in Colorado’s two second-half touchdown drives, and in a game in which the Huskers finished with seven quarterback sacks, he held his own.

“I just tried to get all my technique right, tried to play fast and physical,” Sherman said. “Thankfully Steven and Viska made the big play.”

His performance against the Huskers earned him more playing time last week against New Hampshire, when he was on the field for 55 offensive snaps. Now, with 102 snaps under his belt, he is the only CU offensive lineman with at least 100 snaps who hasn’t given up a sack.

“I’m getting there,” Sherman said of his progress. “Getting my first college snaps in those first three games has helped me become a lot more comfortable with the playbook and reading defensive keys. I’m definitely not 100 percent there — I have a lot to work on and improve — but I’ve progressed.”

Continue reading story here

ESPN Power Rankings – CU in at No. 21

From ESPN … On a day when the top four teams in the country each won by two touchdowns or more, Saturday night’s contests at least provided us with thrilling entertainment.

Old Dominion, a 29-point underdog that had lost to Liberty, Florida International and Charlotte to start the season, stunned Virginia Tech 49-35. And the Monarchs did it behind their backup quarterback, Blake LaRussa.

Army, which hadn’t beaten a top-five opponent in 56 years, nearly knocked off Oklahoma, before falling 28-21 in overtime.

The Hokies weren’t the only ranked team to fall on the road on Saturday. Mississippi State, TCU and Boston College also lost away from home, causing a shakeup in ESPN’s Power Rankings.

Remember, the Power Rankings are about how you look and who you play each week. Forget the body of work or the brand name. These rankings drip with recency bias.

From the Pac-12 …

No. 5 – Stanford

Week 4 result: Defeated Oregon 38-31
What’s next: at Notre Dame (Saturday, 7:30 p.m. ET, NBC)

The Cardinal came back from 17 points down at the half to stun the Ducks in overtime. It was Stanford’s largest comeback under coach David Shaw and the biggest in school history since at least 1996. Stanford trailed 31-21 with 4:39 to go in regulation, but scored 10 points in the final 3:10 to send the game into overtime. The Cardinal will face another stiff road test at Notre Dame next week.

No. 13 – Washington

Week 4 result: Defeated Arizona State 27-20
What’s next: vs. BYU (Saturday, TBA)

The Huskies continued to claw back from their season-opening loss to Auburn in Atlanta by knocking off Arizona State for their third straight victory on Saturday night. It seems that nothing is going to come easy for Washington, which picked up a tough road victory at Utah last week. The Huskies will get another challenge from surprising BYU next week.

No. 18 – Oregon

Week 4 result: Lost to Stanford 38-31 (OT)
What’s next: at California (Saturday, TBA)

The Ducks blew a 17-point halftime lead and seemed to have the game won until inexplicably losing a fumble in the final minute of regulation. It was their third straight loss to Stanford. Oregon wasted a stellar performance from quarterback Justin Herbert, who completed 26 of 33 passes for 346 yards with one touchdown. He misfired on only two attempts in regulation, then went only 1-for-5 in overtime, including an interception on the final play.

No. 21 – Colorado

Week 4 results: Open week
What’s next: vs. UCLA (Friday, 9 p.m. ET, FS1)

The Buffaloes, off to a 3-0 start for the second straight season, should have a good chance to go to 4-0 in Friday night’s against the Bruins, who are 0-3 under first-year coach Chip Kelly.

Defensive line play making life easier for Buff safeties

From the Daily Camera … A year ago, two of the biggest playmakers on the Colorado defense were safeties Evan Worthington and Afolabi Laguda.

Three games into this year, the Buffaloes’ safeties — Worthington and Nick Fisher — haven’t made many impactful plays, but there’s a good reason for that.

The Buffaloes (3-0) are getting much more out of their defensive line and linebackers so far than they did a year ago, and that’s leaving less for the safeties to do on the back end of the defense.

“Talk about our front, talk about our pressure,” safeties coach and defensive passing game coordinator ShaDon Brown said. “How many times do we hit the quarterback? We’re hitting the quarterback an awful lot. The quarterbacks don’t have three and four seconds to throw the ball down field. That’s why you don’t see the safeties making as many plays as in the past.

“Last year there wasn’t as much pressure, and a lot of deep balls. This year we’re applying pressure to the QB, so the ball is not down the field.”

Continue reading story here

—–

Stuart
Continue reading...

Back