What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU@Game CU At The Game: I Would Be Happy Either Way

RSSBot

News Junkie

Win Out or Find A New Head Coach … I’ll Be Happy Either Way

I have a friend, Bob, who is a graduate of Stanford University.

He was – and is – a big Cardinal fan.

Bob’s son didn’t follow in his father’s footsteps. Mark attended Washington State University instead, becoming a Cougar. Along the way, Bob became a big Cougar fan … as in an athletic department donor and season ticket holder big.

I’ve been to Pullman with Bob when CU invaded the Palouse, and taken Bob and his son to tailgates at Folsom Field.

As much as he cheered for the Cardinal over the years, Bob is an even bigger fan of the Cougars.

Which has meant that, every fall, when Pac-12 North rivals Stanford and Washington State square off, Bob has been conflicted.

Such was the scenario when Bob was in Palo Alto a few weeks ago, with Washington State in town to face the Cardinal. I sent him a text the day before the game: “Glass half full – you can’t lose. Glass half empty – you can’t win”.

After watching Colorado fall flat against No. 10 Washington State, 31-7, I figure that it’s time for me to take my own advice.

I’ve got to look at the situation in the Champions Center from a “glass half full” perspective.

How so?

Well, Colorado is 5-5, having lost five straight games … five straight games with bowl eligibility on the line (and yes, that makes eight straight losses dating back to last year with win No. 6 there for the taking).

I’ve decided that, come December, I’m going to be a happy camper.

Either the Buffs get their act together over the final two regular season games, earn a bowl bid, and gain some momentum for the 2019 season.

Or we’ll be looking forward to a 2019 season with a new head coach.

To be honest … I’ll be happy either way.

I would love to see the Buffs take out Utah at home next Saturday, then pick up win No. 7 on the road against Cal the following weekend. I would love to see the Buffs finish the regular season with a guaranteed winning record, a spark for the early Signing Day in early December, and a springboard for a strong 2019 campaign.

I would love to see it … but I can’t imagine it actually happening.

As we watched the Buffs fall to the No. 10 team in the nation, there were any number of plays you can point to which indicate that the Buffs are their own worst enemies … and that comes down to coaching. The ESPN color commentator for the game, former Washington quarterback Brock Huard, opined during the game that the talent disparity between Colorado and Washington State was a small one.

There was a difference, however, between the two teams in terms of discipline and preparation.

A few examples from the game:

— After forcing a three-and-out from the Cougars to open the contest, the Buffs had the chance to gain some early momentum. On third-and-eight, Steven Montez completed a pass to Tony Brown … for seven yards. How many times in the past few seasons have the CU receivers run routes which are not beyond the chains, forcing a punt?;

— The Buffs opened their third drive of the game holding a 7-3 lead early in second quarter. The Buff defense had forced a punt, a turnover on downs, and a field goal in WSU’s first three possessions. It was still very much a game. On the first play of the drive, Steven Montez connected with Laviska Shenault, who was weaving his way through the field, with a big play in the offing. Instead, Shenault was stopped … by his own lineman. Shenault ran into offensive tackle Josh Kaiser, with the net result being a three yard gain. After Travon McMillian gained four yards, it was third-and-three … until it became third-and-eight after a false start. A six-yard gain on third down ensued. Three positive gains … yet it was still a three-and-out due to two mental lapses;

— It was still a game at the half, with the Buffs down 10-7 even though Washington State had held the ball for over 20 minutes of first half. The defense, despite losing leading tackler Nate Landman to a targeting call, had held the Cougars on downs twice, and had forced a field goal on another WSU 10-play drive. Their reward? A fumble by Travon McMillian on the second play of the third quarter. A drive of 32 yards later, it was a 17-7 game … and the Buffs were essentially done for the day; and

— On Washington State’s next drive, the Cougars had a third-and-eight at their own 35-yard line. Gardner Minshew completed a pass to Easop Winston for a loss of a yard. Fourth-and-nine, with CU gaining some much needed momentum down only 17-7 midway through the third quarter? Nope. Sophomore safety Aaron Maddox, who came into the game with a grand total of 33 plays of experience on the season, picked up his first tackle-for-loss of the year … along with a taunting penalty and a fresh set of downs for the Cougars.

There are other examples from this game, as well as many examples from other games over the past two seasons. Examples of the offense running plays going for seven yards on third-and-eight, of the offense committing penalties and mental errors (especially along the offensive line), of questionable offensive play-calling, of backup players not being prepared to step up and play with discipline.

Without question, the Buffs have been hurt by injuries this fall.

Colorado was 5-0 and leading USC on the road when Laviska Shenault injured his toe. While a perfect season was not in the offing if Shenault stayed healthy, many a Buff fan would like to check out parallel universe in which Shenault stays healthy, and check out CU’s record after ten games.

The loss of cornerback Chris Miller and safety Evan Worthington, while not as obvious, have been just as devastating. The CU defensive backfield, which more than held its own in the first half of the season, has become a decided liability in the second half of the season.

Linebacker Jacob Callier, defensive end Jase Franke, wide receivers K.D. Nixon and Jay MacIntyre, safety Jaisen Sanchez, tight end Jared Poplawski, punter Alex Kinney and kicker James Stefanou … the list goes on and on.

If CU’s record was an anomaly, the long list of injuries might lead to giving Mike MacIntyre and his staff a pass on the five-game losing streak.

But it’s anything but.

Mike MacIntyre is 30-43 at Colorado. That’s bad enough, but that record is inflated by a 16-5 record in non-conference play. In Pac-12 play, the Buffs are 14-38.

In the MacIntyre era, the Buffs are 2-19 against ranked teams, with wins over a pair of 22nd-ranked teams – Washington State and Utah – in 2016. Otherwise, it’s been a big goose egg in meaningful games for the Buffs under MacInytre.

Colorado is 2-5 in Pac-12 play, tied with UCLA for fifth place in the Pac-12 South. With Utah’s win over Oregon, the Buffs have officially been eliminated from the Pac-12 South division race. A far more likely outcome? A last place finish for the fifth time in Mike MacIntyre’s six seasons in Boulder.

I’ll be in Boulder next weekend, taking in the men’s basketball game on Friday night, and at Folsom Field for Senior Day against Utah on Saturday. I will be wearing my black-and-gold next weekend, cheering for my Buffs to pick up win No. 6 and bowl eligibility.

I would very much like to see the Buffs finish strong, save what appears to be a good recruiting Class, and have the team finish with a bowl win and momentum going forward into the 2019 season with Mike MacIntyre & Company in place (with the exceptions of offensive line coach Klayton Adams and tight ends coach Gary Bernardi, who need to be coaching elsewhere next fall regardless).

If the Buff coaching staff can’t coax at least two more wins out of this team (out of three, counting a bowl game), then it seems clear that it is time for Rick George to bring in a new head coach. Such a move would rejuvenate the fan base, and give the team some momentum going forward into the 2019 season.

The only scenario which is unacceptable is for the Buffs to finish the 2018 season on a seven game losing streak, finish last in the Pac-12 South (again!), and make no changes at the top. We went through this in 2009, when we all assumed Dan Hawkins was gone, but then Hawkins received a Thanksgiving weekend reprieve from athletic director Mike Bohn, leading to a lame duck season in 2010 which cost CU two recruiting Classes.

Scenario 1: The Buffs dig deep, gaining bowl eligibility and finish with a winning record.

Scenario 2: Rick George decides its time to give this team, which has talented young players, a decent shot at redemption in 2019 with a new coaching staff.

I’ll be happy either way …

—–

Stuart
Continue reading...

Back