What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Basketball: 2020/2021 Season Grade

What grade would you give CU Basketball for the 20/21 season?

• A+

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • A

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • A-

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • B+

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • B

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • B-

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • C+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

• D

• F

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So you’re saying we were a 5 even without a sound beating of Oregon State in the final?
4 mebbe. If oregon had made the final and If we'd played stanford instead of cal, I could see a possibility for 3. Slim tho. We had too many bad losses

4 in a better region?
I mean, we win, Oregon State isn’t in the tournament, Lousiville gets in, and that’s too many moving parts and who the hell knows what happens related to that. Could still end have ended up facing Florida State.

I mean, we win, Oregon State isn’t in the tournament, Lousiville gets in, and that’s too many moving parts and who the hell knows what happens related to that. Could still end have ended up facing Florida State.
Yeah, good points. I would rather take a chance as a conference tourney winner than not, however.

B+.

Not winning the regular season title in the P12 is my only disappointment of this season.

Here’s my grading and how it could’ve been higher:

B+. Conference championship (tournament or regular season) or sweet 16 would’ve been an A-. Both would’ve been an A, and conference championship and elite 8 or better an A+.

I gave a B+

I'm assuming the baseline is that a 'C' indicates "met expected standards", I think CU did better than that.

key points I'm weighing most heavily:
  • 5-1 non conference (regular season)
  • 3rd place (regular season) in the Pac
  • strong Pac12 tourney performance but disappointing loss in the final
  • made the Dance and won an NCAA tourney game
  • reasonable (but not outstanding) job managing Covid
  • 3-1 against ranked teams

B+ because I'm a tough grader.

Team was picked to finish in the bottom half of a conference we have learned was much better than we thought.

Finished 3rd, made the tourney final, and advanced to the 2nd round of the Dance without having a single NBA draft pick in its starting lineup. That's pretty damn good.

I just can't give a season a grade in the A range when there's no title of any kind and not a Dance finish of Sweet 16 or better.

B+ because I'm a tough grader.

Team was picked to finish in the bottom half of a conference we have learned was much better than we thought.

Finished 3rd, made the tourney final, and advanced to the 2nd round of the Dance without having a single NBA draft pick in its starting lineup. That's pretty damn good.

I just can't give a season a grade in the A range when there's no title of any kind and not a Dance finish of Sweet 16 or better.
This. Need some kind of title, regular season or tourney, to get an A. Great season and a B+ is not something to be down about but this season could have been better. Crappy collapse loss to Utah at home, Cal and Washington losses. I can forgive the loss in the tourney to OSU based on how Tinkle has turned that team around but the others, ouch.

This was the best basketball season we’ve had in 5+ years. Half the tenure of Tad. When grading compared to his other seasons, this is either first or second best. That’s an A- in my book. I just hope we rebound better than some years past and the inbound class, according to rankings at least, appears to show we will. Losing Kin is brutal, but adding players like Jabari to the starting lineup, seeing how Tristan develops (could be huge), and a possible freshman starting or being the 6th man gives me high hopes. I think the production of Walton and Schwartz can easily be replaced or improved by others. Not to discount them, just thinking we have a lot of promising players filling in who could be better.

This. Need some kind of title, regular season or tourney, to get an A. Great season and a B+ is not something to be down about but this season could have been better. Crappy collapse loss to Utah at home, Cal and Washington losses. I can forgive the loss in the tourney to OSU based on how Tinkle has turned that team around but the others, ouch.

If there's one complaint I have about CU basketball under Tad, its this right here. This team always has a tendency to drop a couple to people they're not supposed to. This staff has gotta get that fixed moving forward.

If there's one complaint I have about CU basketball under Tad, its this right here. This team always has a tendency to drop a couple to people they're not supposed to. This staff has gotta get that fixed moving forward.

Every team does this and we steal more victories that we shouldn’t get than games we blow. This is just angry message board posting that every fan base has.

Every team does this and we steal more victories that we shouldn’t get than games we blow. This is just angry message board posting that every fan base has.

I think you'd agree we blew Utah here, @Washington, and @Cal. What games did this team win this year that they weren't supposed to?

Baylor lost to Okie lite.

Michigan lost to Michigan state

Houston lost to East Carolina

USC lost to Utah

Alabama lost to Western Kentucky

NOva lost to Butler

Ohio State dropped 4 in a row

Florida State... man they had a good year. best team ever.

I gave a B+

I'm assuming the baseline is that a 'C' indicates "met expected standards", I think CU did better than that.

key points I'm weighing most heavily:
  • 5-1 non conference (regular season)
  • 3rd place (regular season) in the Pac
  • strong Pac12 tourney performance but disappointing loss in the final
  • made the Dance and won an NCAA tourney game
  • reasonable (but not outstanding) job managing Covid
  • 3-1 against ranked teams
Consensus expectations were 7th in the Pac-12. Probably headed to some sort of 18 win season.

Consensus expectations were 7th in the Pac-12. Probably headed to some sort of 18 win season.
But grades should be assigned based on an absolute standard, not on expectation.

You don't give the slow kid a A because he did much better than you expected for him, but the performance was still short of A work.

A- we should’ve won the Pac 12 Tournament and my bar was the Sweet 16. But A- is great.

Went with an A even with a finish nobody wanted. They have a lot to be proud of even with the disappointment. Foundation was built with those guys.

Gave Kin an A - or else would have been a B+. Confernce championship hurt more to me than the the FSU game. Banners hang forever, bill walton will talk about the glory buffs forever. Do they still have the ‘12 muraled in one corner of the Keg?

Sweet 16 is great for the program, huge milestone, but we had the conference tourney champ in our hands. And frankly we’re about 4 or 5 buckets and a stop or two away from being regular both regular and post season champs.

I put a B+... it would have been an A+ with the pac-12 tourney title(because I'm still bitter) or a win last night... its probably a lil harsh, so I'll reserve the right to revisit this in a week
As I said i reserved the right to change my mind... We beat every Pac-12 team who went further than us including a Final 4 team. That's an A-, tho I'm still super salty about losing to OSU... although they money they helped earn softens the blow considerably.

Back