What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

well, maybe yormack is as smart as folks say...

he's made some really good moves--- got the tv deal done before the pac, lured CU, and landed the other pac refugees. now, if he pulls clemson and miami, and the other dominoes, the value of the b12 will be enhanced.

is yormack the thanos of college football?

the thing this also does in my view is heighten the chances that some power conference teams will be left out of the party in the next round of re-alignment. there won't be time, money, or sentiment for the sec or big to hold onto their bottom feeders and there will be even less interest in our bottom feeders.

if the big and sec are positioned into a place where the have to ditch vandy and nw etc., then the monopoly will be broken and markets, brand, ratings, etc. will be the driver.

we "should" be in position to make the cut but it will require us to not do what we do and **** this up.

well, maybe yormack is as smart as folks say...

he's made some really good moves--- got the tv deal done before the pac, lured CU, and landed the other pac refugees. now, if he pulls clemson and miami, and the other dominoes, the value of the b12 will be enhanced.

is yormack the thanos of college football?

the thing this also does in my view is heighten the chances that some power conference teams will be left out of the party in the next round of re-alignment. there won't be time, money, or sentiment for the sec or big to hold onto their bottom feeders and there will be even less interest in our bottom feeders.

if the big and sec are positioned into a place where the have to ditch vandy and nw etc., then the monopoly will be broken and markets, brand, ratings, etc. will be the driver.

we "should" be in position to make the cut but it will require us to not do what we do and **** this up.
I'm trying to imagine market forces that compel the P2 to ditch NW and Vandy but allow the XII to stay intact with the likes of ISU and KSU.

I'm trying to imagine market forces that compel the P2 to ditch NW and Vandy but allow the XII to stay intact with the likes of ISU and KSU.
that is the point--- if the b12 adds enough real brands like fsu and clemson and miami, then its bargaining power and those schools themselves may be in a better position in the next round -- in other words, the top brands in the big and sec may feel compelled or incented to drop their weaklings to form the new super conference--- our weaklings are already dead meat.

it would possible help with getting to something closer to @Buffnik idea about the new order.

that is the point--- if the b12 adds enough real brands like fsu and clemson and miami, then its bargaining power and those schools themselves may be in a better position in the next round -- in other words, the top brands in the big and sec may feel compelled or incented to drop their weaklings to form the new super conference--- our weaklings are already dead meat.

it would possible help with getting to something closer to @Buffnik idea about the new order.
I'm not trying to be obtuse, but I'm not following your reasoning here. why is our dead meat in a better position than the P2's dead meat?

One thing I havent seen discussed, if FSU and Clemson succeed in their legal jailbreak from the ACC grant of rights, would the B12 consider offering them a deal like Notre Dame has with the ACC to get them by until the next round a tv negotiations in 6 years or so?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but I'm not following your reasoning here. why is our dead meat in a better position than the P2's dead meat?
no, i am saying our weaklings are and will continue to be substantially less likely to make the cut into a super conference while the sec and big weaklings might have the current advantage of already being IN those 2 conferences.

if the b12 adds some more glamour programs, then as a group, our glamour programs will have somewhat more leverage than before. thus, if there ARE going to be programs dropped, it becomes slightly more likely that the big and sec will express a willingness to shed their bottom feeders when we shed ours.

sigh.

From yesterday's PC: "Certainly, we have two guys that are positioned to go in the top five in the draft [Sanders and Hunter], but I think we're going to have two more that's going to sneak in that first round. Let me give you B.J. Green. I'm not going to tell you the fourth." Coach Prime said.

Stanford and Cal right now.

Stand Up What GIF by 800 Pound Gorilla Media

Stanford and Cal right now.

Stand Up What GIF by 800 Pound Gorilla Media

The ACC took them plus SMU in so that when FSU, Clemson, and UNC leave, the ACC does not go below the minimum number of schools to have in the ESPN contract. If the ACC goes below that number, the ESPN contract is void and you know from the P12 media rights saga how not having a secured media rights deal is the death knell for a conference.

The playbook to demote those weakling teams already has been proven to work with the P12.

The ACC is next on the TV network hit list.

I won't be happy if we have to share a conference with miami. I may hate them more than nubrasska..

I have a Championship ball, for a conference we are joining this year, autographed by our assistant radio announcer.
(2001 Big 12 ball, signed by Coach Barnett)

I won't be happy if we have to share a conference with miami. I may hate them more than nubrasska..

I have a Championship ball, for a conference we are joining this year, autographed by our assistant radio announcer.
(2001 Big 12 ball, signed by Coach Barnett)
I'll never forget how pissed Barnett was, and made no attempt at hiding it, when they did the BCS "selection show" (or whatever it was called) and they went live to him for his reaction at CU being snubbed for the title game

The ACC took them plus SMU in so that when FSU, Clemson, and UNC leave, the ACC does not go below the minimum number of schools to have in the ESPN contract. If the ACC goes below that number, the ESPN contract is void and you know from the P12 media rights saga how not having a secured media rights deal is the death knell for a conference.

The playbook to demote those weakling teams already has been proven to work with the P12.

The ACC is next on the TV network hit list.
if we can land some of the big brands from the acc, it will open up a lot more paths for CU to make it back into the big leagues. fingers crossed.

if we can land some of the big brands from the acc, it will open up a lot more paths for CU to make it back into the big leagues. fingers crossed.

Yes fingers crossed and there's a lot riding on this season.

I think CU's path doesn't depend on any big ACC teams coming over, unless you think the Big XII can be built into one of the big leagues. CU needs to win, make the playoffs, win playoff games, sell out stadiums, and get good TV numbers. We can do that without FSU or Clemson or whoever.

But yes, as you end, fingers crossed. Big year for the program to take another (big) step forward.

You get the athletic prestige of Stanford and Cal, without the arrogance and self imposed problems. Thats UNC.

You get a more successful program in FSU, than you do with Washington and Oregon.

I’m all about this swap.

Imagine how easy it will be to recruit Florida kids when we play UCF and FSU yearly.

I think CU's path doesn't depend on any big ACC teams coming over, unless you think the Big XII can be built into one of the big leagues. CU needs to win, make the playoffs, win playoff games, sell out stadiums, and get good TV numbers. We can do that without FSU or Clemson or whoever.

But yes, as you end, fingers crossed. Big year for the program to take another (big) step forward.
the way you describe is the only path we can control.

but, if say clemson, fsu, miami, CU, okie st, ku, asu, utah, ua, and maybe a couple others are already conference mates in a new big12, then there is power in those schools and perhaps a few more working together to make that we collectively make the cut into the new super conference.

i am not rooting for anyone to get relegated. but it feels a bit inevitable.

If we could pick any 8 (assumes the B1G & SEC don't make a move), my picks would be:

Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
North Carolina
NC State
VA Tech
Pitt

Alternately: "Notre Dame - is there a selection of schools and scheduling format which would get you to join?"
If this version of ACC implosion moves toward reality, the P2 will become interested and move to the front of the buffet line in front of B12. No way they sit idle and let this group go en mass to B12.

If this version of ACC implosion moves toward reality, the P2 will become interested and move to the front of the buffet line in front of B12. No way they sit idle and let this group go en mass to B12.
Will they offer full shares or partial? Partial shares just to rank 5-10 in one of the P2 conferences doesn’t sound appealing when they can run the Big 12 and still have access to playoff. Assuming the Big 12 can make the economics similar

I get the feeling that this talk about FSU, Clemson and Miami to the B12 is just a ploy to get the SEC and B1G to make a move.

Neither program likely adds anything to either conference’s current media rights, so why would they make a move, especially one that would probably require the conferences picking up some of the buyout from the ACC? If anything, they can let those two go to the Big 12 if that’s the move and then reevaluate the landscape in 5 years

Back