What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Problem solved.

The thinking is that PEOPLE WANT PREMEIR MATCHUPS, THAT'S WHY WE NEED TO HAVE THESE SUPERLEAGUES.

Never mind the fact that each SEC team and B1G team schedules at least one, if not two body bag games per season. It wasn't always this way. Case in point, here's CU's OOC schedule in 1991 (the year referenced):

• Wyoming
  • Baylor
  • Minnesota
  • @Stanford
Here's 1990, when they won the title:
  • Tennessee
  • Stanford
  • @Illinois
  • @Texas
  • Washington
For comparison, here's the OOC for 2023 Michigan:
  • Eastern Carolina
  • UNLV
  • Bowling Green
And 2022 Georgia:
  • Oregon
  • Samford
  • Kent State
  • Georgia Tech
A combined 2 P5 games between the two teams, compared to 8 for CU in those two years. Unless this super league eliminates those matchups, the problem isn't going to go away.

The thinking is that PEOPLE WANT PREMEIR MATCHUPS, THAT'S WHY WE NEED TO HAVE THESE SUPERLEAGUES.

Never mind the fact that each SEC team and B1G team schedules at least one, if not two body bag games per season. It wasn't always this way. Case in point, here's CU's OOC schedule in 1991 (the year referenced):

• Wyoming
  • Baylor
  • Minnesota
  • @Stanford
  • Tennessee
  • Stanford
  • @Illinois
  • @Texas
  • Washington
  • Eastern Carolina
  • UNLV
  • Bowling Green
And 2022 Georgia:
  • Oregon
  • Samford
  • Kent State
  • Georgia Tech
A combined 2 P5 games between the two teams, compared to 8 for CU in those two years. Unless this super league eliminates those matchups, the problem isn't going to go away.
The revenue promise of a super league only becomes reality if they eliminate these types of matchups and expand playoffs to generate a 20-25% increase in the number of compelling broadcasts per week. That may also include more games which aren't on Saturday.

• Wyoming
  • Baylor
  • Minnesota
  • @Stanford
  • Tennessee
  • Stanford
  • @Illinois
  • @Texas
  • Washington
  • Eastern Carolina
  • UNLV
  • Bowling Green
And 2022 Georgia:
  • Oregon
  • Samford
  • Kent State
  • Georgia Tech
part of the Rudy plan is no more FCS or G5 games

The bus ride is not their norm, which is Franklin’s whole point. They can use the local airport for normal B1G trips, but flying to LA (and presumably Seattle and Eugene), requires larger planes that carry more fuel, otherwise they would have to stop and refuel.

The extra 2-3 hours of round trip travel time on the bus to Harrisburg is unique to having to travel to the West coast
I think he’s just upset about the lack of overhead bin space for his backpack.

it is unlikely it would be possible to stop the plans of the Super 2 barring additional legislation or cases brought before the top levels of the federal court system.
This. Current jurisprudence on anti-monopoly efforts basically conclude that if there are >2 market participants, you good. It's fine if 2 of them are dominant. The mere presence of a viable third (whether or not it's operating at the same revenue level) competitor gets the two out of most anti-trust problems. See cell phones, see airlines, see (pick almost any industry that is "consolidating"). >2 viable market participants, and you're generally fine.

Looks like project Rudy is done. SEC/B1G want all the $$ and power. They don't want to share the pie. I think that they want to pay $$ to play cupcakes, and their next move probably is continue skewing their OOC match-ups to against one another, Notre Dame excepted. B1G will probably stay close to the MAC for OOC filler. SEC may get close with a southern conference maybe the Sun Belt for OOC filled. SEC probably goes to 9 conference games.

I'm not sure how this move will be received by the other conferences, media, or television. There could be some backlash. ND is a wildcard and has always had fractious relations with the B1G. Hopefully, they move further away from the B1G. We may see the ACC and B-12 make similar OOC scheduling moves, which might bolster CU given our large TV following and then hopefully FSU, Miami, Clemson, ND, etc... want to fill any OOC void.

Presently, SEC/B1G has the best television deals, dominated the 4 team playoff, and corner the rankings market, however we shall see how things shake out with a 12 team playoff. To climb the rankings for the other conference teams, it is about getting a team through the regular season with 0-1 loss. Some high ranked SEC and B1G teams will play each-other, and also some will just lose games (see Alabama); so B12 and ACC teams can move up. I think a 2 loss, B12 team would get in if they lost a close B12 championship game, and not coming off 2 consecutive losses.

Looks like project Rudy is done. SEC/B1G want all the $$ and power. They don't want to share the pie. I think that they want to pay $$ to play cupcakes, and their next move probably is continue skewing their OOC match-ups to against one another, Notre Dame excepted. B1G will probably stay close to the MAC for OOC filler. SEC may get close with a southern conference maybe the Sun Belt for OOC filled. SEC probably goes to 9 conference games.

I'm not sure how this move will be received by the other conferences, media, or television. There could be some backlash. ND is a wildcard and has always had fractious relations with the B1G. Hopefully, they move further away from the B1G. We may see the ACC and B-12 make similar OOC scheduling moves, which might bolster CU given our large TV following and then hopefully FSU, Miami, Clemson, ND, etc... want to fill any OOC void.

Presently, SEC/B1G has the best television deals, dominated the 4 team playoff, and corner the rankings market, however we shall see how things shake out with a 12 team playoff. To climb the rankings for the other conference teams, it is about getting a team through the regular season with 0-1 loss. Some high ranked SEC and B1G teams will play each-other, and also some will just lose games (see Alabama); so B12 and ACC teams can move up. I think a 2 loss, B12 team would get in if they lost a close B12 championship game, and not coming off 2 consecutive losses.

Not surprised. But this is the start of negotiations with posturing. I think they'll eventually find something that is somewhere between 70 programs and the 34 which currently comprises the B1G+SEC. As I've said, 48 seems like the number that gets the networks all they want and members beyond that don't increase the payout per member.

Not surprised. But this is the start of negotiations with posturing. I think they'll eventually find something that is somewhere between 70 programs and the 34 which currently comprises the B1G+SEC. As I've said, 48 seems like the number that gets the networks all they want and members beyond that don't increase the payout per member.
48 is potentially a very risky cut off for CU. now, if CP stays and the ratings stay where they are, then for sure we make the cut.

48 is potentially a very risky cut off for CU. now, if CP stays and the ratings stay where they are, then for sure we make the cut.
If CU is winning then I think we're a Top 20 ratings generator. With Prime with the same success, we're a top 5. Where I think his impact most skews ratings is when CU is a bad team like last year when he completely carried things.

Back