What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

CU winning as related to recruiting (Rick George gets it)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
This hire proves to me that Rick George gets it.

Yes, you need great leadership and coaching acumen from your head coach. Yes, you need to do well with X's and O's. Yes, you need to have a great S&C program. Yes, you need coaches who teach great technique.

But the biggest factor on whether you are good is whether you have the best players.

Just look at CU history:

Was Bill McCartney a bad coach in his first few years when the team's record sucked? Was he an average coach the few yeas after that when the team was winning 6-8 games? Was he a great coach from then until the end because he changed his coaching style or schemes?

Did Rick Neuheisel win 10 games a year because he's a great head coach?

Did Gary Barnett slip from the success he'd had as a HC through 2002 because he'd forgotten how to coach?

Has CU been mediocre to bad since the end of Barnett's time because coaches failed to coach up the talent?

All answers are "no" and that should be obvious to everyone who follows this team.

When we have great talent, CU is a dominant football program. Rick George knows this so he went out and hired a head coach who can deliver great talent and motivate a team.

The recruiting forum is gonna get real fun, I think.

This is a great read on the recruiting philosophy at Georgia that has led them to overtaking Alabama as the best recruiting program in the nation.
Theres an awesome article about the process Smart uses to recruit. He used flow charts to describe his process during his interview which landed him the job at uga. Hopefully Tucker understands that process fully and lays out something similar. https://sports.yahoo.com/georgia-ne...ck-sabans-process-game-changer-050129185.html

This is flat out nuts. My cousins are huge Ga fans. I mean big backers from Dooley’s days. They aren’t surprised he got a head job and are surprised CU got him before anyone else. They are real impressed with Tuck. The new statement for next year should be Welcome to Folsom. Now get the Tuck out.

The connections could pay dividends quickly. We appeared close to landing Jermaine Johnson II, a Georgia verbal. There are a number of highly rated Georgia kids who didn't report offers from UGA, but would be more than welcome here: S Jalyn Philips, DT Jalal Holley, and DT Jaelin Humphries, for instance. No doubt there are others Tucker has been in contact with (and whichever assistants he may hire), plus kids from the west like Wright, McCoy, and so on. Some could have immediate impact as Buffs. It'd be nice to see some heavy hitters hired on the other side of the ball, too.

I wonder if Don Chapman is regretting his decision to jump to the pirate ship yet.

Last edited:
This is flat out nuts. My cousins are huge Ga fans. I mean big backers from Dooley’s days. They aren’t surprised he got a head job and are surprised CU got him before anyone else. They are real impressed with Tuck. The new statement for next year should be Welcome to Folsom. Now get the Tuck out.
Thanks for your interest in Colorado Football. Stick around. That statement should never be spoken again, though, and a coach name pun should never be a slogan.

For anyone who hasn't looked, here is what Geogia's recruiting class looks like on 247.

5* - three
4* - twelve
3* - three

drooling-homer.gif

There is a small but vocal Anti-Pun faction here at AllBuffs. Some are even higher ups. Don't be intimidated - they're all bark.
There is an obvious pun here about being too tired but I don’t want to put those 2 words together for fear of calling forth some bad mojo. So I’ll just say, We’re back, baby. We’re back!

This is a great read on the recruiting philosophy at Georgia that has led them to overtaking Alabama as the best recruiting program in the nation.
Okay, so I read that article and I’m cautiously optimistic that Mel vetted us for being able to deploy a recruiting strategy similar to what Smart did and believes we will provide the resources to allow him to do so.

How many offers does Tuck honor? Time is short with the early signing date. I have zero problem with him making the tough choices, who to keep, who to not honor. I would like to see him make an immediate improvement on recruiting, although that may be tough this go around with signing period so close

All I can say is that this change in direction brings tears to my eyes. We are not a rebuild but we are not stocked with elite talent. It will take us a couple years of the new staff getting the elite recruits into Boulder. And now we have a leader who will.

I was not sure I would see a day when CU was playing with the big boys again and was a team that others did not want to play each and every week. With the hire of Mel Tucker, we are on the road back to that level. Nobody will want to play us, especially in Boulder.

Faith has been restored in this Buff fan and I cannot wait to see the evolution take place over the next several years.

Go Buffs!

Can tuck recruit the Poly?
Ugh. Maybe he can’t but his assistants could. If he hires the correct staff.

Kinda the point people have been making for the last decade or so.

Sorry but, it can’t really be this hard, can it?

Had a little flashback to 2001...that CU OL really kicked the snot out of Nebraska that year.

Better get us some real good OL or at least a real OL coach.

Back