What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CUBuffs.com: Smith Named All-Region, DeLuzio Selected Region Freshman of the Year (Volleyball)

RSSBot

News Junkie
image_handler.aspx

LEXINGTON, Ky. — The awards continue to roll in for members of the Colorado volleyball team as junior Alexa Smith was named to the AVCA All-Pacific South Region team and Brynna DeLuzio was named the AVCA Pacific South Region Freshman of the Year in addition to earning all-region team honorable mention honors.

This is the first all-region award for Smith, a 6-1 outside hitter from Colorado Springs, Colo. The honor comes one week after she was named to the All-Pac-12 First Team. She leads the Buffs with 3.99 kills per set and adds 2.83 digs per set and 0.38 blocks per set. Smith ranks seventh in the Pac-12 in kills and points per set (4.37).

Last weekend, she was named to the Waco Sub-Regional All-Tournament Team after helping CU sweep James Madison and No. 18 Baylor to advance to the Sweet 16 for the first time in 20 years. Earlier in the season, Smith was named to the NIKE Invitational All-Tournament team and was the Omni Invitational MVP. She was also named the VolleyMob National Player of the Week as well as the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week after helping the Buffs to a 3-0 weekend in the final weekend of non-conference play, which included a five-set come-from-behind upset at then-No. 22 Colorado State. She averaged 4.56 kills and 3.33 digs per set. Smith has recorded 20 or more kills in eight matches this season, which includes a career-best 27 kills against then-No. 13 UCLA.

DeLuzio has been having an outstanding freshman season. A 5-9 setter from Windermere, Fla., DeLuzio is the first Buff to earn region freshman of the year honors and in addition to that, she is the first CU freshman to earn all-region team honors as an honorable mention selection. Last week, she was named to the All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention Team, as well as the Pac-12 All-Freshman team which was another first for a CU freshman.

DeLuzio, like Smith, was named to the Waco Sub-Regional All-Tournament Team after helping CU sweep James Madison and No. 18 Baylor to advance to the Sweet 16 for the first time in 20 years. During the season, she was named the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week four times in 2017, a CU record. She is averaging 11.10 assists per set, which is third in the conference and 25th in the NCAA. The Buffs have hit .252 under her direction and are averaging 13.74 kills per set. DeLuzio had an outstanding freshman campaign, recording 50 or more assists in nine matches. She handed out a career-best 64 assists in a win over Arizona State. DeLuzio also adds 2.37 digs per set and 0.38 blocks per set.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to both Brynna and Lex.

Brynna is going to do so many things in the next 3 years. It's been fun watching her get better each week.

Congratulations to both of them.

As I have said, I am new to volleyball but it looks to me like the next few years are set up nicely for the Buffs. Next year, with Smith, Abu and Shebby all coming back (that seems like a scary front) looks like it could be a really special year. DeLuzio doing what she has done as a freshman is amazing and makes the future look very bright.

Checked on the Pac 12 site about other Pac players who made these teams. I've mentioned before that I have a friend here who is related to Mac May, freshmen at UCLA who got off to a great start. She was the Pac 12 freshman of the week 3 times, I think. She didn't make the All Pacific South team.

Back