What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Development of CU South approved by Boulder City Council

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
City approves annexation of property as part of Boulder by 8-1.

draftconceptplan_final.jpg

I don't understand the tweet in which Burness says the City presses CU to ensure the student housing is affordable, but CU is not ready for that.

Does this mean CU is going to build housing to be occupied by newly minted millionaires from the surrounding tech companies?

I don't understand the tweet in which Burness says the City presses CU to ensure the student housing is affordable, but CU is not ready for that.

Does this mean CU is going to build housing to be occupied by newly minted millionaires from the surrounding tech companies?
I think it was someone on the council trying to push affordable housing construction on CU and got the brush off.

I think it was someone on the council trying to push affordable housing construction on CU and got the brush off.
I guess that's what I don't understand. Why wouldn't CU want students to live ther? And I don't think there is any doubt that students need affordable housing. Why would the university brush them off. Weird.

I guess that's what I don't understand. Why wouldn't CU want students to live ther? And I don't think there is any doubt that students need affordable housing. Why would the university brush them off. Weird.
This wouldn't impact affordable student housing. I think it's mostly a matter of CU not wanting Boulder to have a say in oversight of its property management or to be able to constrain CU if it turns to an outside company to build and manage the housing (like with University Village at Boulder Creek).

It appears they've completely abandoned the thought of any athletic department use of that space, save for a little parcel. I still maintain that it would be an ideal spot for a golf course.

It appears they've completely abandoned the thought of any athletic department use of that space, save for a little parcel. I still maintain that it would be an ideal spot for a golf course.
Makes me wonder about the future for CU Tennis. I think they can still have the XC course there, though.

All this talk about flood mitigation, and I'm like "golf courses make great flood mitigants." Running a golf course along South Boulder Creek would be perfect. So, of course, they will do no such thing.

Golf course would be a terrible waste of space. I'd think all that room for recreation space will result in some development for athletics

Would be nice to see one of those rec parks with the 4 baseball diamonds out there. Maybe make one a little fancier than the other 3. Maybe let the AD use it a few times in the spring/early summer.

Golf course would be a terrible waste of space. I'd think all that room for recreation space will result in some development for athletics
Says the guy who doesn't golf.

I've never met a non golfer yet who didn't feel that pretty much every golf course was a terrible waste of space.

They aren't going to do anything with that space anyway. Why not make use of it?

Says the guy who doesn't golf.

I've never met a non golfer yet who didn't feel that pretty much every golf course was a terrible waste of space.

They aren't going to do anything with that space anyway. Why not make use of it?
Yes, I don't golf. yes, golf courses are incredible wastes of space. Especially in areas with incredibly valuable real estate. Facts are facts.

Weird to me that Sacky is up in arms about there not being a golf course. They need that space for may other things instead.

Yes, I don't golf. yes, golf courses are incredible wastes of space. Especially in areas with incredibly valuable real estate. Facts are facts.
Did you miss the part where it was pointed out that that land wasn't going to be used for anything else? What makes an empty parcel of ground along a creek bed so valuable?

Not really worth arguing about seeing as they aren't going to put anything there at all, much less a golf course.

Lots of schools have their own golf courses. It's not uncommon. In the PAC 12, both Stanford and ASU have campus courses.

Weird to me that Sacky is up in arms about there not being a golf course. They need that space for may other things instead.
Ok...
A) I'm not "up in arms". It's merely a suggestion and I think it would be worthwhile. I'm hardly up in arms over it.

B) there aren't any other things that the space would be used for. None. It's clearly designated on that map as "natural no-build area".

Ok...
A) I'm not "up in arms". It's merely a suggestion and I think it would be worthwhile. I'm hardly up in arms over it.

B) there aren't any other things that the space would be used for. None. It's clearly designated on that map as "natural no-build area".
I think I like the open pasture land that it currently is. It's very pretty. Also, CU already has a golf course.

I don't see the demand for another golf course in Boulder. We've got 3 and they're not that busy.

Something I think would be cool would be a dirt bike course like they have up in Frisco/Breck. I think the kids and students would love that and it would keep the area pretty much natural. https://www.townoffrisco.com/play/biking/bike-park/

I don't see the demand for another golf course in Boulder. We've got 3 and they're not that busy.

Something I think would be cool would be a dirt bike course like they have up in Frisco/Breck. I think the kids and students would love that and it would keep the area pretty much natural. https://www.townoffrisco.com/play/biking/bike-park/
Boulder already has a great bike park, valmont. But I agree, they need more. :D

One thing with over 1,100 housing units in this plan that piqued my interest is that this could open up a lot of possibilities for the land north of Boulder Creek and the future of the athletic fields & family housing there. I expect the re-imagining to be a dramatic change for some seriously prime real estate that is ridiculously under-utilized right now.

One thing with over 1,100 housing units in this plan that piqued my interest is that this could open up a lot of possibilities for the land north of Boulder Creek and the future of the athletic fields & family housing there. I expect the re-imagining to be a dramatic change for some seriously prime real estate that is ridiculously under-utilized right now.
Excellent point. And hopefully there will be room for expansion beyond the 1100 units, too.

Here's the thing that nobody has brought up and it kind of surprises me: the development of the south campus has been a highly contentious topic with the City for over 30 years. I'm wondering if this signals a bit of a warming in relations between the city and the university. There was obviously some give and take to get this done, but it appears that everybody is pleased with the result.

Well, except for those of us who want a golf course along S Boulder Creek, but we are a very small minority, I guess.

Excellent point. And hopefully there will be room for expansion beyond the 1100 units, too.

Here's the thing that nobody has brought up and it kind of surprises me: the development of the south campus has been a highly contentious topic with the City for over 30 years. I'm wondering if this signals a bit of a warming in relations between the city and the university. There was obviously some give and take to get this done, but it appears that everybody is pleased with the result.

Well, except for those of us who want a golf course along S Boulder Creek, but we are a very small minority, I guess.
Everything I've been reading on the Boulder city council is that the pro-development folks have taken control. Gentrification of the city has led to a different type of board.

I find it very hard to believe that a pro-development council is in charge in Boulder. It's antithetical to everything Boulder has represented since 1970. Possibly a more reasonable, less ideologue council, but pro-development? Chortle.

Back