What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN's annual tip-off marathon won't happen this season

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) — There will be no 24-hour basketball marathon on ESPN to mark the start of the college season this year.

The broadcasting giant says the annual event, which ran for nine seasons, presented programming challenges and won't be part of this year's schedule.

The event featured more than a dozen games spread out over 24 consecutive hours.

Spokesman Josh Krulewitz says the company may explore a return of the marathon concept at some point in the future.

He notes that more than 3,500 college basketball games will air on ESPN's platforms during the 2017-18 season.

ESPN recently announced it will air a new early-season tournament, the Phil Knight Invitational, which will feature 16 teams playing across two separate brackets from Nov. 23-26.

One bracket features Butler, Duke, Florida, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Portland State, Stanford and Texas. The other includes Arkansas, DePaul, Michigan State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Portland and UConn.
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/espns-annual-tip-marathon-wont-happen-season

Maybe I'm the only one disappointed, but I was looking forward to this.

Booooooo! This is my favorite event every year. Great to see the smaller schools get some notoriety and I know I had a blast for the 11 pm tipoff against Auburn a few years ago.

Back