What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Foreverbuff Emma Coburn named USA Track & Field Female Athlete of the Year!

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Congrats to Ms. Coburn!

Direct Link to article - http://www.usatf.org/News/Emma-Coburn,-Sam-Kendricks-take-Jackie-Joyner-Kers.aspx

"
INDIANAPOLIS – Steeplechase world champion Emma Coburn (Crested Butte, Colorado) has been named the 2017 USATF Jackie Joyner-Kersee Award winner, while world champion pole vaulter Sam Kendricks (Oxford, Mississippi) has won the 2017 USATF Jesse Owens Award, USATF announced Monday.

The Jackie Joyner-Kersee Award honors the top female USATF athlete of the year while the Owens Award honors the top male athlete. Winners are determined by a vote of the U.S. track and field media and an online fan vote. Coburn and Kendricks will be honored at the 2017 Jesse Owens Banquet on Saturday, December 2 in Columbus, Ohio as part of the USATF Annual Meeting. Tickets are available online.

2017 Jackie Joyner-Kersee Athlete of the Year: Emma Coburn
A world title, American record and World Championships record were just part of what was a busy 2017 for Coburn.

In London at the IAAF World Championships, Coburn led a shocking 1-2 Team USATF finish after snatching the lead on the final lap in one of the season’s most dramatic races, considered the strongest women’s steeplechase field ever assembled. Coburn’s winning time of 9:02.58 set a championship record and American record, and she became the first American since Hall of Famer Horace Ashenfelter in 1952 to win a steeplechase gold in a global championship. It also marked the first time in history Americans have gone 1-2 in an Olympic or World Championships steeplechase, as teammate Courtney Frerichs finished second. A win at the USATF Outdoor Championships earlier in the summer had given Coburn a sixth USATF steeplechase title to punch her ticket to London.

On September 30, she organized and hosted a 5k in her hometown of Crested Butte, Colorado, and two weeks later, on October 14, she married her longtime boyfriend, Joe Bosshard, in Hawaii.

Coburn joins USATF’s history books with the ranks of previous winners such as Joan Benoit, Gail Devers, Florence Griffith-Joyner, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Lynn Jennings, Deena Kastor and Allyson Felix.

“I'm so honored to be named the Jackie Joyner-Kersee award winner and feel very fortunate to be among the athletes that have won this award in the past,” Coburn said. “All of the nominees were incredibly deserving, and I was motivated and inspired by their performances all year. Thank you to the media and fans who voted for me. I am grateful every day for the support I receive and am encouraged by it to push harder. This is truly an unexpected honor. Thank you to everyone who made it a reality.”
"

(Thanks to Rick George, whose tweet below 1st alerted me to this.-
)

Back