What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

(From cubuffs.com) "CU Hall of Fame To Elect Dozen In 2024 Class"

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Congrats to all these GREAT Buffs for being named to the CU Hall of Fame!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/6/26/alumni-c-club-cu-hall-of-fame-to-elect-dozen-in-2024-class

(Note - due to its length and the fact I wanted to quote the whole article, I will need to break the article quote over 3 posts.)

"

CU Hall of Fame To Elect Dozen In 2024 Class​

By: David Plati, SID-Emeritus/Athletic Historian

BOULDER — The 19th class to be inducted into the University of Colorado Athletic Hall of Fame this November will feature 10 Golden Buffaloes who excelled in their day, representing six different sports, including a popular coach and administrator.

Also recognized will be two additions to each of the Hall's Legacy Wing and the revived Athletic Hall of Honor.

All have their special place in the school's history. The inductees, including three who will be honored posthumously, cover a period starting in the late 1930s through the early 2010s, covering seven different decades between all. The 10 overall hail from football (three athletes and the coach/administrator), one who starred in both golf and football, two from cross country and track, two from skiing and one from volleyball. Three of the 10 are women.

The Hall of Honor inductees represent basketball and gymnastics, with the Legacy Wing selections two unique individuals who have and were involved intimately a long time with the program for a combined 11 decades between them.

The 2024 Hall of Fame class will be the 19th inducted into the Hall since it was conceived in 1998, and the 12 will join 154 individuals (including five Legacy Wing inductees along with the 1959 ski team as a unit) who have been enshrined to date (22 previously have been honored posthumously). Those to be inducted this November into the Athletic Hall of Fame are (complete bios follow in this release):
  • Ronnie Bradford, Football (1989-92)
  • John Gregorio, Cross Country & Track (1971-73)
  • Don Hasselbeck, Football (1973-76)
  • Ben Kelly, Football (1997-99)
  • Harold "Monk" Saunders, Golf/Football (1937-40)
  • John Skajem, Skiing (1986-87)
  • Anette Skjolden, Skiing (1991-93)
  • Dan Stavely, Football Coach/Administrator (1958; 1963-83)
  • Rachel Wacholder Scott, Volleyball (1993-96)
  • Shayne Wille Culpepper, Cross Country & Track (1995-97)
They will be joined by Athletic Hall of Honor selections Ron Ginley ('80) and Tom Lawrence ('77) in the third year since it was revived in 2022, along with the inductees into the three year-old "Legacy Wing:" longtime public address announcer and former CU Events Center director, the late Alan Cass, and "Pasta" Jay Elowsky, one of the most generous and unique donors in athletic department history.

Athletic director Rick George once again personally notified the living members of every class of their impending induction, as well as the next of kin for those who have passed, including the veteran committee's selection. This year's choice was Harold "Monk" Saunders, a two-time conference golf champion and football All-American in the 1930's.

Snapshots of all inductees follow; complete biographies of all 14 Buffalo legends to be celebrated this fall, as well as the all-time CU Athletic Hall of Fame members as listed by induction class are in the attached PDF document. CU's flagship radio station, KOA, teased the announcement of the class Tuesday afternoon when CU Hall of Famer Dave Logan interviewed his former teammate (and roommate) Don Hasselbeck.

Ronnie Bradford

Coming out of Adams City High School where he would earn the nickname, "The Commerce City Kid," Ronnie Bradford, he lettered four times at cornerback under Bill McCartney. One of a handful of players who played football in the state of Colorado in high school, CU and the Broncos, the Buffs enjoyed tremendous success his four seasons in Boulder, amassing a 39-7-3 record and three Big Eight titles – and one even bigger one. He was a first-team all-conference performer as a senior in 1992.

The late Whitney Houston's 1989 hit song, "One Moment In Time" certainly applies to Bradford's career at CU – as he made one of the most significant plays in program history. With 7:32 remaining in the first half of the '91 Orange Bowl, a game CU needed to win for the national championship, Notre Dame scored to take a 6-3 lead. Bradford came around the right side and literally flew in the air to the block the point after try. In what was a tremendous defensive battle, CU won 10-9 and were consensus national champions. But if Bradford doesn't block that kick – remember – it was 1990 and there was no overtime in college. The game would have ended in a 10-10 tie, and CU's record would have fallen to 10-1-2 and likely no title.

"I am extremely humbled to have the honor of being inducted into CU's 2024 class in its Athletic Hall of Fame," Bradford said. "Growing up and seeing the 'Blue and Gold' (uniform colors at the time) on the TV screen and then in high school, getting a chance to watch the Buffaloes in person was so motivating for me to become one of those players."

"I never thought I would have the fortune of being enshrined in the CU Hall of Fame next to some great athletes that put in hours of training and performance to represent this amazing university to best of our abilities," he continued. "It was never about the fame or glory that concerned us, but the pride and tradition of this university that sustained our drive. My four years at CU will always be some of the most memorable, first arriving at CU and seeing how the university and community were grieving but came together to honor a fallen teammate (Sal Aunese). Then playing in two national championship games and winning one, to winning multiple conference championships, to being a part of a brotherhood, who sweated and trained to compete week in and week out, to be called "Colorado Buffaloes."

Bradford is now the special teams assistant for the Miami Dolphins, where former Buff tight end and head coach Jon Embree is the assistant head coach..

John Gregorio

John Gregorio was the first CU track athlete that earned All-American honors in all three disciplines – cross country, indoor track and outdoor track – in the same athletic year when he did so in 1972-73. He was 20th in cross country (29:15); anchored the distance medley runner-up finish in 9:48.7, five seconds behind an indoor world-record time by Kansas State; and was third in the outdoor 3-mile; in the latter, he ran 13:10.6 and was five seconds behind the legendary Steve Prefontaine who set an NCAA record.

In two seasons at CU after transferring from junior college, he recorded over 40 podium (top three finishes) in distance events. Among his many impressive wins were titles in the prestigious Drake, Kansas and Texas Relays. At the time of his graduation, he had set CU records in the mile (4:02.7), 3-mile (13:10.6), and the distance and 4x100 relays. He now works in ticket operations for the Colorado Rockies.

"Disbelief, thrilled, humbled and then proud, was my reaction from getting a call from Rick George telling me I had been chosen for CU's Hall of Fame," Gregorio said. "Thoughts of my teammates came to mind, Cliff Branch, George Daniels, Mike Hill and many more - we all motivated each other to excel and we were a family. The early 70s were troubled times in America but the CU cross country and track teams were special. Our focus as a group was performing at our utmost ability for the University – we were Buffs. Our challenge to put CU track at the top then and for decades to come, was fulfilled. My visions of Coach (Don) Meyers and (Jerry) Quiller, who spurred us on are to never be forgotten. We were the men from the mountains and to this day, CU track and cross county continue to excel.

"Running for CU in the 70s was fun," he added. "We were hippies and we put CU running on the map. Boulder is now a renowned running community and I believe it was the 1970's cross country and track teams that ignited the movement."

Don Hasselbeck

Don Hasselbeck lettered four years, the first time as a freshman under the late Eddie Crowder and then three seasons for the late Bill Mallory (1974-76). One of the best tight ends in CU history, he earned first-team All-American honors as a senior from The Sporting News, when he helped lead the Buffaloes to the Big Eight Conference title and a subsequent berth in the Orange Bowl. He was tabbed a second-team All-American his junior year by United Press International, and was a Playboy Preseason All-American prior to his senior year. A two-time, unanimous first-team All-Big Eight performer as a junior and senior, with the Buffs compiling a 17-7 record over those two seasons, with his 50 career receptions the second-most by a tight end at the time in school history, with his 612 receiving yards third.

An honorable mention member of CU's All-Century team, selected in 1989, and got it done in the classroom, earning second-team Academic All-American honors. He went on to enjoy a nine-year NFL career, and retired, is a full-time artist.

"Wow!" Hasselbeck exclaimed. "I'm stunned and truly honored to be mentioned along with so many other amazing athletes that have had the opportunity to attend the University of Colorado. My four years in Boulder were some of the best years of my life. Les Steckel (the young receiver coach) at that time recruited me out of Cincinnati even after I had made a verbal commitment to attend the University of Michigan. Our teams, our coaches and teammates from all walks of life made all the difference in those four years.

"CU, Boulder, and the people there changed the trajectory of my life," he said. "Jim and Betty Matthews (his Buff parents at that time) made me feel right at home – even though I was the only Ohio player on the team. I truly feel blessed and honored to even be considered to be mentioned as a Hall of Fame Buffalo. And I'll always be a Buffalo for life!"

Ben Kelly

When it came to returning punts and kickoffs, saying that Ben Kelly was the second-coming of the legendary Cliff Branch would not be an understatement. He returned seven kicks in his career for touchdowns (four punt, three kickoffs including bowls), one shy of Branch's school record eight. The sixth CU player at the time to earn first-team all-conference honors three times (freshman through junior years; he declared for the NFL Draft before his senior year). But he also starred at cornerback, and even had a few carries at tailback showing his versatility.

He finished his career at CU first all--time in kickoff return yards (1,798, a number that remains on top of the list), third in pass deflections (34) and sixth in interceptions (11); he still holds the record for the longest fumble return for a touchdown, galloping 96 yards against Kansas in 1998.

"I'm sure this will really hit me more the closer to November we get and people find out about it," Kelly said. "To be inducted into the CU Hal of Fame is an amazing and humbling honor. I spent some of the best years of my life in Boulder and had the opportunity to develop relationships that have stayed in my life ever since. I came to Boulder from Cleveland, a wide-eyed, naive, and full of whatever we call it that teenagers have. I only wish my father and grandfather were still here to see this, they would be so proud, but I can share this with my son now.

"I'm forever grateful for my time at CU and happy that my efforts over two decades ago has been recognized by the committee," he added. "I've always loved CU, the foundation and initial transition to adulthood. I miss my CU family and can't wait to see everyone in November. Go Buffs!"

Harold "Monk" Saunders

Talk about playing in an icon's shadow, when Harold "Monk" Saunders was at CU in the late 1930s, Byron White was in the spotlight, after in high school teammate Niles Kinnick of Iowa Hawkeye fame was the top dog; many at the time felt he was the second-best athlete at each school at the time. In fact, in a 1975 column, Harry Farrar, the late well-respected columnist at the Denver Post, wrote that Saunders was "one of the finest football ends and golfers in the Rockies."

He got the nickname "Monk" when he missed a block in practice and White got hammered – coach Bunny Oakes screamed out, "Who's the monkey who missed that block?" It stuck. He earned eight letters across three sports, four in golf, three in football and one in basketball. He was a two-time Mountain States Conference golf champion (and runner-up another time), and earned Williamson "Alternate" All-America football honors as a senior. After CU, he was a PT Boat captain in World War II, reached the quarterfinals of the 1951 U.S. Public Links and was a college football referee for 34 years. His son Norm played for Sox Walseth and the CU men's basketball team in the 1960s; grandson Reed is the PA announcer at Coors Field for the Colorado Rockies. He passed away in 2000 at the age of 82.

His son Steve relayed that "he hated missing CU games while officiating other Big Eight games. At one time, he bought an old school bus and converted it to a gold and silver coach that he took with others to CU games later on. He also loved watching his son and my brother Norm play for Sox (Walseth) in the 60's on old Balch Fieldhouse, and truly enjoyed the reunion of the (1937) Cotton Bowl team when they were honored at halftime of a game.

"When I got the call from Rick, I'll be honest, it made me cry," he said. "I also had a dream about him refereeing a Big Eight game – I was a mess. I called Norm's wife and his kids, they're thrilled as well and said that both Monk and Norm would be rising from their graves."
"

Last edited:
Part 2 of the article announcing this coming year's Hall of Fame class-

"

John Skajem

NCAA age limits restricted John Skajem to just two seasons of skiing at CU (1986-87), but he made the most of them. The first CU skier, male or female, to win four races in the same season when he won four slaloms as a junior in 1986, including the NCAA individual title (only three have done it since, one male and one female). The NCAA individual champion in the slalom in 1986 his junior year and swept the titles in the slalom and giant slalom in 1987 as a senior; his three individual national titles are tied for the fourth-most by a Buff skier. Finished third in the GS as a junior, thus earned four first-team All-America accolades.

He was also a two-time RMISA/NCAA Western Regional champion in the slalom (1986-87) as well as in the giant slalom ('87); he recorded 12 career alpine wins over the '86-87 seasons (seven slalom, five GS), the most by a male skier in CU's illustrious history; those are still tied for the ninth-most by a Buff (and the sixth-most by a male). The seven slalom wins also top CU's all-time list, and overall, he had 17 podium (top three) career efforts (nine as a junior, eight as a senior), with 19 top five finishes in 21 starts. He won 12 of 42 runs, one of the higher percentages at Colorado. He was the NCAA Alpine Skier of the Year for both 1986 and 1987.

"Being selected to CU's Athletic Hall of Fame is an enormous honor for me and my family," he said when informed by George in Oslo, where he has resided since 1997. "That I get to join the elite club of great individuals who are in the Hall of Fame is a tremendous recognition for my time and contribution to CU athletics, one of the most recognized athletic programs in the world. I would also like to pay respect, say thank you and salute an honor to all the friends who made my CU carrier possible – teammates, coaches, support staff and of course the university at large with its academic contribution have all been vital in order to put it all together.

"Very often do I remember and think back at my time at CU," he continued. "I always get a smile on my face and I recognize what a precious time it was for me and many others that we get to spend at the university. Boulder and CU is a special place on this planet. People, climate, mountains, lifestyle, travel, academic, athletics, professionalism, to mention a few factors. For me coming from the other side of the world in Norway, it was a steep learning experience from the day I came to day I left. I believe that many of my strengths were born in Boulder and I became a whole person.

"Over the years I have had the pleasure of advising many of the youngsters of our next generation on life and the future," he added. "I always lean on making references to my time at CU with what I learned and why I have become who I have become. Needless to say, it was a time well spent and I would not have changed it for the world. I have had the pleasure of being back a few times on several occasions, but most important was my son Cristian's four years at the Leeds Business School with a big graduation party at Folsom Field."

Anette Skjolden

Anette Skjolden earned three letters skiing for the Buffaloes from 1991 through 1993 under coach Richard Rokos. A six-time All-American in Nordic events, three times in both the freestyle and classical races, she had 12 career wins in 34 races. Overall, she had 25 total podium finishes (top three efforts), seven runner-up efforts and six third place finishes in addition to the dozen wins. She was the NCAA champion in the classic as a senior in 1993, after having won the NCAA title as a junior in the freestyle in 1992. In doing so, she became just the second CU woman at the time to win two NCAA titles, not only in skiing but in any sport, and was close to two more, as she was the national runner-up in the classic as a junior and freestyle as a senior.

Including NCAA regionals and championships, in 12 races, she recorded 10 top five finishes (four wins) but was never below fourth at nationals. Her 11 individual wins are still tied for the third-most by a female skier at CU (and the 10th-most overall). Skjolden was the team's Outstanding Nordic Woman all three years she competed as a

"It feels a bit overwhelming to be selected for induction," she said. "So much time has passed, and this came as a total surprise. But at the same time, I feel grateful and honored. I had a fantastic time at CU Boulder. I loved everything about the place and the whole athmosphere of Boulder and its surroundings. Also, being a mamber of Richard's (Rokos, head coach) first national championship team (in 1991) is a life-long memory."

Dan Stavely

George called Dan Stavely's son John to inform him of his dad's selection, to which John replied, "It was fitting that Rick George called me the day after Father's Day to notify me of this great honor."

The elder Stavely served one year as an assistant coach under Dal Ward in 1958; he spent the next four years on the football staff at Stanford University after Ward was not retained after the '58 season. Eddie Crowder brought him back to CU in 1963, once again to coach the freshman teams and assist with the varsity which he would do through 1976, the last three seasons under coach Bill Mallory. His 15 seasons as a football assistant remains the fourth-longest in any sport. After retiring from coaching, he remained as an assistant athletic director and oversaw all areas of academic counseling until retiring in 1983.

CU Hall of Famer Brian Cabral said of Stavely: "Dan probably made the greatest impact in my life. He was like a father to me, my academic counselor, my life counselor. He is the big reason why I am who I am today."

"Collectively our hearts are absolutely filled with joy," John said of his late father's selection; Dan passed way at the age of 90 in 2003. "To say the least, it has been a long time coming, but I am so grateful to the CU Athletic Department that I get to experience this great honor during my lifetime.

"My Dad was born and raised in Colorado -- the ranch where he grew up was about 20 miles south of Gunnison. He attended DU and after his eligibility was over he was helping out at a Catholic school in Denver, trying to determine what direction his life would take. He was considering the ministry and coaching – the nun in charge of the school's athletic department told him that he would be able to affect more lives as a coach. So true! Furthermore, my Mom was born and raised in Denver. As a young child, both at Washington State and Stanford, both my parents talked about wanting to return to their beloved Colorado. So it was easy for my Dad to recruit athletes/students to this state. Plus, he was aware of the great CU tradition and athletes who played here including such people as Justice Byron White and Joe Romig. He was so proud when I received the Byron "Whizzer' White Scholarship for excellence in academics and athletics.

"Dad was never interested in money or recognition," he continued. "Rather his focus was wanting the best for his players, on the field, in the classroom, and for them to become productive members of the community. He was the hardest worker I have ever seen, generally leaving for work before dawn and coming home late at night after study hall was over. Seemingly at almost every CU athletic function I attend, there is someone who will tell me how much Coach Dan meant to them. Yes, he was a great coach and teacher, but more importantly he was a mentor and father figure to hundreds if not thousands of Buff athletes. He loved Colorado and CU, and more so he loved the many athletes he had the privilege to work with."

Rachel Wacholder Scott

Before she became an international star, Rachel Wacholder Scott earned four letters as an outside hitter under head coach Brad Saindon from 1993-96. During her tenure, CU was 85-35 overall and 42-14 in conference matches, as she helped lead the Buffs in the transition from the Big Eight to the Big 12 as a senior. A four-year starter, she finished her career with 117 starts in 120 matches played while seeing action in 419 sets in her career, in which she finished with 1,484 kills, 1,342 digs, 156 blocks, 145 aces and 140 assists. She was named all-conference three times, second-team All-Big 8 as a sophomore and junior and first-team All-Big 12 as a senior, and was a freshman starter on the only conference championship team in program history in 1993 as CU became just the second Big Eight program to capture a league championship aside from Nebraska just seven years into the league's existence.

After CU, she turned professional in beach volleyball and had eight wins, including two Grand Slam events on the international stage with Kerri Walsh Jennings on the FIVB tour. Professionally, she was named most improved and the best defensive player in 2005 and in all had 23 championship match appearances in her career that spanned from 1999-2013, and during that time, she was a five-time member of the U.S. National Beach Volleyball Team (2004 through 2008).

"This is truly such an honor – it's hard for me to even put into words how much this means to me," Wacholder said. "I never had dreams of attending any particular college or even playing volleyball, but when the recruiting process started and I was given the opportunity to visit CU, I knew within my first few hours that it was the place for me. I had no idea at that moment that it was going to be so much better than I could have ever imagined.

"I had four magical years at what I consider the most beautiful campus in all of the country, and in a town that felt like home from the moment I unpacked my bags," she added. "I left Boulder with the most incredible memories and lifelong friends. It was such a blessing to be a part of the athletic department at such an incredible university. So much of who I am today was shaped by my time spent in Boulder. I'm so proud to be a Buff!"

Shayne Wille Culpepper

Shayne Wille Culpepper originally was a walk-on in the CU track program, joining the team in the fall of 1995; just seven months later, she was an All-American in the 3,000-meter run to conclude her first indoor season with the Buffs … and four years later was an Olympian.

CU's Female Athlete of the Year for all sports in 1996-97, overall she won five Big Eight or Big 12 Conference titles and was a four-time All American. In less than a month's span her senior year (May-June 1997), she claimed the Big 12 title in the 1,500-meters by over five seconds (4:16.66 time in humid Waco), and finished third at the NCAA Outdoor Championships, clocking a 9:06.86 time in the 3,000-meter run. And less than a week after that performance, at the USA Track & Field Championships, she was the only collegian to advance into the finals in the 1,500-meters, her time of 4:10.16 being the fastest college time in the nation and would be a CU record for 10 years.

She would become a two-time U.S. Summer Olympic team member, in 2000 (1,500-meter run) and 2004 (5,000), and was a five-time national champion. She is married to CU alum Alan Culpepper, a 2012 CU Athletic Hall of Fame inductee as they will be the first married couple to be inducted into the Hall.

"I'm genuinely honored and humbled to be voted into the University of Colorado Athletic Hall of Fame, especially joining my husband Alan Culpepper, and many other remarkable current and past nominees who inspire me daily," Wille Culpepper said. "My time on the University of Colorado cross country and track team has profoundly shaped a life I feel incredibly blessed and grateful for today. As proud a CU alumni, I look forward to celebrating our collective journey in sports, and the lasting impact the University of Colorado has had on our lives alongside fellow nominees this fall."
"

Part 3 of the article announcing this coming year's Hall of Fame class-

"
Ron Ginley

A four-year letterman in gymnastics (1976-80), Ron Ginley was a four-time All-Big Eight Conference performer, twice in the floor exercise (1978, 1980) and twice in long horse vaulting (1979, 1980). He just missed All-America honors by .025 points in the vault at the 1980 NCAA championships (top eight earn the distinction). After graduating from CU and earning his graduate degree from Carnegie-Mellon in 1983, he returned to Boulder, about two miles south of campus where he would be employed for the next 38 years by the National Bureau of Standards (NBS; since renamed NIST for the National Institute of Standards and Technology).

During his early years, he worked at the bench on the development and direct application of new microwave measurement tools and techniques. As his career progressed, Ginley emerged as a leader in the international microwave community, a champion of traceable microwave measurement services and guided-wave standards development and dissemination in the global metrology community. His time at NIST was devoted to excellence in microwave measurements; supporting communications, aerospace, electronics and military industries, just to name a few.

"I am very excited to be receiving this award," Ginley said. "I worked very hard as a gymnast to be as good as I could be. Getting inducted into the CU Hall of Honor tells me that the hard work paid off.

"Being a gymnast and an Electrical Engineering student at CU wasn't the easiest thing to do, but it definitely taught me how to focus and channel my energy to what I was working on," he continued. "Whether it was solid state physics or piked double back flips. I'm not saying that it was all work and no play, I made many friends from the team and the classroom. There were many fun gatherings after competitions. The life lessons and work ethic that I learned in my undergraduate days have carried through my professional career and all aspects of my life."

Tom Lawrence

Tom Lawrence, who lettered twice in basketball in the mid-1970s for Sox Walseth, already had an impressive resume in the sports world when he took over as the executive director of the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame in 2003; he was promoted to president and CEO in 2006. During his tenure, he has brought the organization to new heights with record fundraising almost annually. The CSHOF was a money-losing organization when he came on board, about $250,000 in debt, but would turn that around, now with over $1.3 million in reserves; but through his creative approach, and what he is most proud, is the Hall's financial ability to help other organizations and individuals. The CSHOF has donated nearly $3 million to youth sports organizations, approaching $1 million alone to the Colorado High School Activities Association.

He worked with the Broncos to have the Hall's permanent home at Mile High Stadium, offering tours of the Hall and the stadium (over 30,000 annual visitors). He has also been involved as a board member of Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Denver, the Denver Nuggets Foundation, CU's Athletic Mentor Program, Colorado Golf Hall of Fame, Colorado Open Golf Foundation, Denver Sports Advisory Board, and is a past president of the Colorado Golf Association and Lakewood Country Club.

"I am honored, humble and extremely grateful for being selected to the CU Athletic Hall of Honor," Lawrence said. "Receiving this prestigious award puts an exclamation point on my sports career and completes my purpose."

"Coming out of Aurora Central High School, I never considered attending any other university than CU," he added. "The life-long friendships that I made with my teammates, and the memories I have with them at CU, make me feel blessed that I had the opportunity to be a Buff."

Alan Cass

C.F. "Alan" Cass was associated with the University of Colorado in a variety of ways spanning six decades, starting with Macky Auditorium, then the University Memorial Center (UMC), Folsom Field and the Coors Events Center. He has best been summed up as someone who had, "a passion for history, public service and everything CU." But it was his voice that would be synonymous with CU athletics: he became the public address announcer for men's basketball games in 1965, and then for football games in 1982, along with announcing other events including women's basketball, the CU Relays and other track meets, and things that popped up along the way, like Boulder-Fairview basketball games on the CU campus. He stepped away after the 2010-11 athletic season, easily announcing over 1,000 games and events. And in 1988, when the Denver Broncos went looking for a new stadium PA voice, it was natural to select Cass for the position.

His booming voice echoed, "Here … comes … Ralphie" to start football games. Along the way, fans picked up on joining him when the Buff "alphabet kids" made a play (O.C. Oliver, J.J. Flannigan, etc.). And though he passed away in 2018 at the age of 77, Bronco announcers have continued his call of "in … come … plete" when the opponent misfires on a pass.

"Our pioneer six generation Boulder family's love for Boulder and the University of Colorado was strengthened and broadened by Alan's unwavering prowess and devotion in service to the Buffaloes," his son Casey said. "In addition to the principled commitments to commencement, the Conference on World Affairs, and countless gatherings of note over many decades, nothing gave us more joy than the ability to share the fidelity and exuberance that sports command with his familiar, resounding voice leading the way! We are grateful for this honor bestowed upon our beloved husband, father, and grandfather."

"Pasta" Jay Elowsky

The late Bill Walton on CU basketball broadcasts probably mentioned Pasta Jay's over 250 times since he first dropped in for dinner after he was assigned games in Boulder. Those times maybe upset other restaurateurs in Boulder, but then again, no one has come close to the special favors that Jay Elowsky graciously donated to the department in the 36 years since he first opened for business just west of the Pearl Street Mall. His restaurant has become synonymous with the University of Colorado.

Jay has been an ardent supporter of the program since he relocated to Boulder in 1988 – not necessarily financially, thought he has been a scholarship donor and owns a dozen season football tickets. But it's product he has provided at no cost the athletic program that over time has figured to be at minimum hundreds of thousands of dollars. He has staffed recruiting dinners (either at CU or hosted at his restaurant), Alumni C-Club events, tailgates, meetings, team meals, going-away parties and team banquets among other functions. He also played a significant role in getting the Boulder Downtown Partnership in creating the Friday night Pearl Street Stampede for home football games beginning in 2006; in what he describes as "totally insane," his restaurant feeds the 300-plus member CU Marching Band for free each Stampede.

My biggest take away from CU athletics is how hard everyone works, for what I believe is for the greater good of young people," Elowsky said. "Being part of that and a little piece of the cog to do what I can and think is the best way to support this greater good, by building family and culture through food. And everyone has to eat and nobody kicks the guy out of the room that brings the food! Being part of something greater than yourself, team, togetherness, relationships, the wholesome competitive leadership culture, and the experiences really gives me a sense of gratitude for being included."

All inductees were nominated by their peers or by members of the selection committee; several of the 24 semifinalists emerged from new names submitted over the last couple of years. There will now be 166 members (plus the '59 ski team, CU's first national champions in any sport) in the CU Athletic Hall of Fame since its inception in 1998, including seven in the Legacy Wing, and there will now be 75 in the Athletic Hall of Honor.

The group – Athletic Hall of Fame, Hall of Honor and Legacy Wing – will officially be inducted during Hall of Fame Weekend over the course of Nov. 14-16 (final details pending); they will also be featured in the Pearl Street Stampede parade on Friday night and will be introduced at halftime of the CU-Utah football game on Saturday, Nov. 16.
"

Back