What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- WBB hosts Westminster (of MO) (Thursday, 12/20, 7:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Facing (per the below) its 1st D-III foe since 1983 in an official game, assume the Buffs should be pretty "light on their feet" in Thursday's game with all the players having (hopefully) successfully survived their finals. Hope they play some great fundamental ball tomorrow (especially rebounding strong and cutting down on their turnovers), and the CU "depth" players get some (or LOTS of) valuable playing time against the Blue Jays in the final tune-up before next Friday's Pac opener hosting ASU.

Preview -

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/12...-wrap-up-non-conference-play-on-thursday.aspx

"
BOULDER - Colorado will host Westminster (Mo.) on Thursday at 7 p.m. for its last non-conference game before Pac-12 play starts next week. The game will air on 630 KHOW with Cory Lopez and Carol Callan calling the action.

Westminster will be the fifth NCAA Division III school CU has faced all-time; the Buffs are 4-0 vs. D3 opponents, last facing Colorado College on Feb. 15, 1983, an 83-58 win.

SCOUTING WESTMINSTER
The Blue Jays enter Thursday 5-4 this season, including 2-1 in the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Redshirt junior Kendahl Adams leads Westminster at 16.8 points per game and also pulls down 7.4 rebounds per contest and averages 3.7 assists. She is coming off a 19-point, nine-rebound performance in a loss to Coe College on Sunday. Mirrakohl Johnson, another junior, is averaging 15.1 points and a team-best 9.0 rebounds. Freshman forward Grace Archambault averages 8.2 points and 8.7 rebounds, while shooting a team-best 47.4 percent from the floor.

PROMOTIONS
Thursday will be the Kids Run The Game day, with kids assisting CU staff members with executing behind-the-scenes production of the game. The promotion is open to all members of Chip's Kids Club. To join Chip's Kids Club, sign up here.
"

Live Video (Via free live stream) - http://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live Audio - On Radio: 630 KHOW, with broadcast also available for streaming via http://www.cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1175&type=Live .

Live Stats - http://www.sidearmstats.com/cu/wbball/

I hope in a game like this, that should not be happening, that our starters play very, very little. If one of the starters gets injured in a game like this and I was their parent, there would be a lot of soul searching for me about my daughter and where she was playing basketball.

This game should not even be on the schedule.

If one of the starters gets injured in a game like this
I was thinking this too the other day.

Here's the tricky part, how to both rest the starters and get them ready for the opening weekend of the Pac 12 which begins eight days after the Westminster game. AFter having finals and a non-competitive game this week how prepared will the team be for the Arizona* schools?

*I'll admit that it appears U of A isn't very good this season.

Guessing the players will be headed home for Christmas right after the game tomorrow. Don't know when they return. So after practices being disrupted this week by finals, then the break, then they come back to campus to get ready for the Arizona schools.

Again, I will never understand why this game was scheduled and hope we don't continue to see DIII games on the schedule, especially the last game before the Pac 12 starts.

Guessing the players will be headed home for Christmas right after the game tomorrow. Don't know when they return. So after practices being disrupted this week by finals, then the break, then they come back to campus to get ready for the Arizona schools.

Again, I will never understand why this game was scheduled and hope we don't continue to see DIII games on the schedule, especially the last game before the Pac 12 starts.
Players will be heading out either Thursday night after the game or on Friday. They will be returning to campus to resume practice, I think, late on 12/26.

As for why the Westminster game ... I asked and this is the answer I got (paraphrasing now) .... they wanted a game in this time frame and were unable to get a D1 school to come to Boulder. D2 schools are in a dead period where they cannot play any games. Thus they were left with either a D3 school or not having a game. They will be using the game to focus on certain situations. For example, we might see a complete replacement of all 5 players after a sequence of plays because the coaches want to go over something that just occurred with the group that was on the floor.

As for why the Westminster game ... I asked and this is the answer I got (paraphrasing now) .... they wanted a game in this time frame and were unable to get a D1 school to come to Boulder. D2 schools are in a dead period where they cannot play any games. Thus they were left with either a D3 school or not having a game. They will be using the game to focus on certain situations. For example, we might see a complete replacement of all 5 players after a sequence of plays because the coaches want to go over something that just occurred with the group that was on the floor.

Interesting, and this does sound like it will be a scrimmage in that the Buffs know they can play whomever and will win and thus they can try various things in preparation for the Pac 12 season. Hope in the future they can get around this scheduling issue and play a DI team during this period of time.

Does this game count on the Buffs record?

Interesting, and this does sound like it will be a scrimmage in that the Buffs know they can play whomever and will win and thus they can try various things in preparation for the Pac 12 season. Hope in the future they can get around this scheduling issue and play a DI team during this period of time.

Pretty sure that the record, for RPI purposes, includes only Div 1 games.
The one that I would like to know and don't is how the WNIT looks at records since a record of .500 or better (including conference tourney games) is required for consideration as an at-large team.

I remember looking this up when the schedule was announced and on the Westminster website they had a press release calling it an exhibition game, so I believe that this won't be counted in the official record.

I remember looking this up when the schedule was announced and on the Westminster website they had a press release calling it an exhibition game, so I believe that this won't be counted in the official record.

From a part of the preview article I didn't quote in the OP-
"
Thursday's game will count as a regular-season contest for CU, but will be an exhibition for Westminster. The Blue Jays have already played two exhibitions this season, falling 60-50 to Lincoln (Mo.) and 79-53 to Evansville.
"

Selection committees will completely ignore this game -- unless CU loses.

For example, we might see a complete replacement of all 5 players after a sequence of plays because the coaches want to go over something that just occurred with the group that was on the floor.

I am hoping the starters, if they use the regular starting line up, plays for a few minutes and don't come back in. There is still an unnecessary risk of injury in playing a DIII school.

I am hoping the starters, if they use the regular starting line up, plays for a few minutes and don't come back in. There is still an unnecessary risk of injury in playing a DIII school.

Yeah, there is virtually no value in this. An intra-squad scrimmage would be more beneficial to the reserves.

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/12...stminster-to-wrap-up-non-conference-play.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado's women's basketball team wrapped up non-conference play on Thursday night with a 106-47 win over Westminster (Mo.). The Buffs improved to 9-2 this season. The game was an exhibition for Westminster.

STAT LEADERS: Three newcomers scored in double figures, led by freshmen Sara Castro and Mya Hollingshed. Castro had a team-high 18 points, burying all four 3-point attempts, and adding six rebounds and four steals. Hollingshed had 17 points and eight rebounds. Junior college transfer Janea Bunn also scored 17 points and had a game-high nine rebounds. She shot 8-of-13 in the game. Alexis Robinson had 11 points and hit three 3-pointers and Brecca Thomas scored 10. Kennedy Leonard had nine points and a game-high six assists.

Payton Beeler led the Blue Jays with 19 points off the bench.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado outrebounded Westminster 56-35 and outshot the Blue Jays 47.7 percent to 28.1 percent. The Buffs also hit a season-high 11 3-pointers. CU committed a season-low 11 turnovers, just one game after having 22 at Air Force, while forcing 28 against Westminster.

NOTES/RECORDS: CU's 64-15 halftime lead was tied for the largest halftime lead (+49 vs. Northern Arizona, 1/21/80) and the third-most points scored in the first half in school history ... CU's 34 points in the first quarter were the most ever in the first quarter for the Buffs ... the 12 turnovers by WC in the first quarter were the most ever forced in a quarter by CU ... it was the 29th time in CU history scoring over 100 points ... Castro (18) and Hollingshed (17) each totaled their career high in scoring ... head coach JR Payne has a 19-3 (.864) record in regular-season non-conference games, the best winning percentage for a CU coach through two seasons of regular-season non-conference games ... it was the third opponent CU has held under 50 points this season and the second game scoring over 100.

UP NEXT: Colorado opens Pac-12 play next Friday, Dec. 29, at 7 p.m. against Arizona State. The Sun Devils are 9-3 heading into the game.

POSTGAME QUOTES:
JR Payne, head coach
General
"I'm really proud of the way we played tonight. We've been talking for a few days, the goal of the last preseason game is to figure out, who are we? Where are we? What have we accomplished in the last three months? How have we grown? And what do we expect moving forward? I think we saw a lot of really great things tonight. As a coach, you always see the things you could have done better, but it was a fantastic effort tonight. I'm really proud of [Sara Castro and Mya Hollingshed] coming off the bench and exploding in the way they did. They provided a great scoring boost and contributed on the glass. They showed real glimpses of what they were capable of."

On biggest take away from tonight's game
"For one thing, I realized in the second half that we need to stick to who we are. We tried to slow down a little bit and that's just not who we are. From day one we've preached being aggressive in everything that we do, and when we weren't as aggressive, we weren't as effective. We saw that we can shoot the ball well tonight. We executed and did some things well in the half court. There's a lot that we can take from this game."

On tonight being the last game before Pac-12 play
"The preseason is truly just to prepare you for conference, so I don't know that you're ever really ready for Pac-12 play. It's the best conference in the country and every single night you're going to face a tough opponent. That's why we play teams from the ACC, play teams on the road, play athletic teams, big teams, really disciplined teams. We've tried to create a schedule that would hopefully prepare us for Pac-12 play. We've done a lot of really good things. There are areas where we can improve, but we're excited and ready to see where we are when we step into conference play."

On how much time she will give the team off for the holidays
"From this moment, we have five days before we take the court again. They're all going home, they'll get to rest and recover, and be with their families. Coaches go recruiting for a little bit then spend some time with our families. Then we'll come back really excited to start again."

On whether the team will be at full health for the Pac-12 opener
"Yes. As soon as we're back, we should have everybody ready to contribute. People are progressing the way they want to and need to."
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - http://www.cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=10058

Wasn't at the game, listened to the presser a few minutes ago. Buffs will have five days off before returning to practice in preparation for the first conference games.

Sara Castro's family was watching tonight - it will he there only time watching her in person this season. Remember, she's from the Canary Islands which are about 60 miles off the coast of Morocco in the Atlantic. She obviously played very well.

I'm happy for Sara having such a game with her parents there and hope they enjoy the Denver area for a few days.

Other than that, there was nothing to be gained from this game. I am happy that it didn't appear that any team members got injured and it was an easy decision to hold Zoe Correal out.

Even on the radio broadcast, Carol Callan was talking about how difficult it is to fill air time in a game like this.

Carol and Cory Lopez were trying to explain that CU wanted to play Wyoming but that never got worked out. So they ended up playing Westminster instead. Still not convinced the game was a good idea.

Watched Sara Castro last week at practice one day and thought she had a really sweet shot. Watching her in last night's game confirmed that observation. She was really fun to watch.

Sara Castro has a very good basketball IQ. At tome point I think she'll earn more playing time. But it's gonna be tough given she seems to have both Robinson and Caylao-Do ahead of her this season and next there will be Swartz in the mix as well.

Sara was the player of the game on the radio broadcast last night. She said that in the Canary Islands, it's all about offense. She also said basketball is more physical in the US than in the Canary Islands.

Back