What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- Women's basketball hosts Air Force (Sunday, 2:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
I'll add links to any cubuffs preview article as/ when it becomes available, but thought I'd start this thread now with the game less than a day away. Anyways, the Buffs start off their home season (after starting off with a road win over the U. of Northern Colorado Friday night) with a 2:00 matinee start on Sunday against the Air Force Academy. Looks like Air Force lost their 1st official game of the season, also on Friday night, falling 65-52 in Denver to DU.

There is a short buffzone preview available - http://www.buffzone.com/womensbasketball/ci_30563969/cu-womens-basketball-preview-air-force

Free Live Video stream - http://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live Audio - http://www.cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1023

Live Stats - http://www.sidearmstats.com/cu/wbball/

Buffs up 51-36 at the half. Robinson and Leonard with 14 each. Buffs playing a lot of 2-3 zone.

Final score Buffs 95 Air Force 68

Robinson had 22, Leonard 20, Freeman 12, Smith 10 for players in double figures. Jones and Correal each added 9 points.

16 turnovers which isn't bad for as fast as they play.

On offense both Kennedy and Robinson are very good. They are smart, confident and talented. And they have improved from last season in terms of consistency and decision making. Being given the green light in the half-court as well as the having the skill to be effective in the break is going to help them as well.

Despite the positives stated above, I am not sure this team will win many conference games. They struggle on defense and aren't rebounding well at this point. There doesn't appear to be a real threat on the low blocks as well, which is going to make scoring difficult in conference play.

Yes, JR's philosophy is going to make the team fun to watch on offense, but they are a number of players away from improving in with win column. One player that looks like she could make a difference this season is Eleanor Jones. She was the first player off the bench today and scored 9 points in very limited time. She has a nose for the ball on both ends and is confident. The issue she has now is fitness, she is gassed after about 2 minutes on the court. If at some point this season she can get to the point where she can go 30 minutes or so I would guess she'll start at the 5.

At this point, without a lot of improvement, I would think they will finish in the bottom half of the conference again.

Forgot to mention that there was a lot of 2-3 zone played by the Buffs this afternoon. It was a very active zone that worked to trap and force turnovers. It was more effective at this in the first half.

In the front court, the only player missing is Jamee Swan. The team needs more height and speed in the front court. I doubt if Eleanor can get enough fitness to play 30 minutes a game but I hope she surprises me.

Starting lineup is pretty much the same as last season minus Swan.

I would like to think they can surprise a few teams in the Pac at home. :D

Take care of the non-con, build confidence, and we'll probably see some carryover to Pac-12 play.

The JR era certainly is interesting. What does everyone make of the fact that for long stretches it seemed that Alexis was running the point and Leonard was running at off guard?

The growth in both Sophomore's games have been incredible. I think last year we saw what more mature programs don't have to endure: FR playing minutes and carrying team roles beyond their experience. After Leonard's incredible performance against NC I'd have thought in game 2 that the team would just be working on carrying that forward. Never in a million years did I expect JR to mix things up in terms of roles. These Buffs just have an embarrassment of riches at the Guard position right now. Alexis Robinson and Kennedy Leonard are great players, and Quinessa Cayloa-Do is going to impress us as well. Then the Buffs are bringing in Aubrey Knight and Peyton Carter? Wow, the backcourt looks set, doesn't it?

Then there is the front court. I think its lost on most people just how lacking the Buffs are with their bigs. Other programs like NC just try to run a system and scheme recognizing they can't get recruits with talent and length. That doesnt work in the Pac-12 as we saw last season. Very intrigued by Eleanor Jones. If JR ends up finding a serviceable post player that late (looking forward and ignoring these non-conference games for the moment) that could be one of the biggest recruiting gets I've seen in awhile at a position of need. I don't know that I've ever seen a team pull a rabbit out of the hat, in terms of a Big, that late and find a player. I'm not worried about fitness level. You can coach up fitness, not so much ability or length. Looking forward to seeing her minutes expand, as there is a desperate need on this team for contributions at the post positions. If she has any scoring finishing touch around the basket, and her penchant for rebounding carries over across the pond…we could have a real find!

I'm starting to love the JR style of basketball. I like the idea of challenging players in different roles, these players have the basketball IQ to be utilized in interesting ways and JR is leveraging that. Having these two incredible guards both of whom can put up 20 plus points and that many assists with almost no turnovers? Non-conference is going to be fun!

What does everyone think of the L'ville transfer so far?
What do you think Burich can develop into?
Any news on Huggins return?

I didn't post after the NC game because I really wanted to see two games in a row before gathering my thoughts. I agree with most of what already has been said, especially about Ken and Lex. I really don't think you will find a pair of guards in the PAC12 that have more talent, tenacity, speed and, most important, the chemistry that these two ladies have. As far as them switching off roles, that has happened before this and to be honest, I'm not too sure that JR has much to do with that. Both those girls came to CU with extensive high level coaching and playing backgrounds and they see and do things that other kids need to be taught at the college level. Now that they have a year of extensive playing time, they are playing like a pair of well seasoned vets. If you watched closely, you noticed that JR seldom directs them, almost like she knows that they know what she wants. To add to this, I think that the most pleasant surprise that I had was watching Ari play last night. Look, I knew this girl had plenty of talent because, let's face it, Jeff Walz doesn't make too many recruiting mistakes and she was highly rated by more than one scouting service coming out of high school. What I saw last night convinced me that she is going to be another force to be reckoned both scoring and defending as she sheds the rust and regains the confidence she lost in her freshman year at Louisville.

As far as the front court players, I know some of you have little confidence in them but I think that both Kenzi and Zoe Correal have really improved their games, You must understand, it is much harder for front court players to adept to the college game than it is for the guards. In HS you were the biggest girl on the court and you could just force your way into doing what you want. When they get to college they quickly find that no longer applies. Last summer I spent some time going over all the high level post and forward freshman to compare their HS rankings and their freshman performances. With the exception of a very few, like Cal's Kristine Anigwe who is just a beast, most of them really struggled. It usually takes at least one and sometimes two years before they reach their potential and some never do. If both Kenzi and Zoe can give us 15 or so minutes and 6-8 RB and 8 Pts, I will be pleased because Haley Smith should add the rest of the needed scoring and rebounding, as well as having those 'super games' that she seems to come up with a couple times a year when she suddenly remembers that she is the best pure shooter on the team and takes more than 8 shots a game. Drives me nuts because this girl should be taking at least 12-14 shots a game.

Zoe BF and Becca are very good role players, who can give you good minutes when you need them and both have the experience and ability to be able to stretch those minutes if need be.

That leaves us with the 'Unknowns', Monica, El, Q and Huggy. Monica, who I have always believed was a highly underrated recruit, is going to be one of the best power forwards in the PAC when she finally sheds all the rust and gets her mojo working. She can rebound with the best and she has the potential to be a better shooter than Haley is and Haley is the best pure shooter on the team. I really, really like El and I think she can be a terrific post when she gets fully healthy and gains more confidence. She is so athletic and I love her attitude. You can almost see her comfort level, both on the court and with her teammates increasing with each game. By the middle of the year, she will begin to really come on.

At one point last night I was watching Quinessa bring the ball up the court and I just busted out laughing. I couldn't help but think, I bet she never dreamed, last year at this time, that she would be playing point guard for a PAC12 team in November and getting substantial minutes, at that. She's a great kid, with a lot of athletic ability and some real speed, who with time and good coaching, is going to be a very good player. She is a great fit for a freshman with this team. With Huggy, I just don't know what to expect. If she still has the fire and can stay healthy, she could really bring some much needed experience and some sorely needed scoring punch. I hope this is the case, because she will always be one of my favorite Buffs and I love the chemistry that she brings to the team.

Well, that's my take on things, so far and, of course, some things will change as we go forward. As to how we will fare in the PAC? Well, I don't really think that anyone can say. I have watched these predictions for years and I have learned not to get too invested in what you see in November and that applies for, not just the Buffs, but also for the rest of the league. Preseason predictions are cheap entertainment. The complete collapse of our team last year should tell you that. I knew we wouldn't be real good, but I never saw that mess coming. The same thing has happened in the past to UCLA, SC, Stanford and Cal just last year. Let's play the games and we will know how good they are.

What is Huggins injury? Any idea of when she comes back? She has had more than her share of injuries while at CU.

Some of the national bloggers are saying CU will surprise some teams in the Pac 12 based on these first two games.

Just looked and this seasons media guide is online.

Back