What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - Women's Basketball hosts CSU (Wed., 11/14, 7:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Bests wishes to WBB as they continue their season against a intrastate rival. Beat the Rams!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/12/womens-basketball-buffs-rams-set-for-50th-meeting.aspx

"
BOULDER—The Colorado women's basketball team is set to host Colorado State on Wednesday, marking the 50th contest between the two in-state rivals.

Colorado opened the season with a 77-69 win over Northern Colorado last Tuesday at the CU Events Center. Kennedy Leonard led the team with 30 points. Quinessa Caylao-Do recorded a career-high 23 points.

The rival Rams opened their season with a 72-46 win over Eastern New Mexico.

Last season the Buffaloes traveled to Moby Arena and picked up a 70-67 win. Then freshman Annika Jank led the Buffs with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Leonard contributed 18 points on 8-of-11 shooting and handed out five assists.

"Last year we were at CSU," Jank recalled. "Their fans were rowdy, and we got to experience that side of the rivalry. I think it will be exciting to see what they [CSU] are like here on our home-court. We know what they do well, so we will be prepared."

For a majority of this year's team, the rivalry is still fresh. Only Leonard and Alexis Robinson have faced the Rams more than once in their careers. Leonard is averaging 23.3 points and 5.3 assists in her three games against CSU. Robinson has averaged 6.0 points and 4.7 rebounds in her career against the Rams.

The rivalry has a more personal connection for Leonard, whose parents both attended Colorado State.

"I think it is always just a really good rivalry," Leonard described. "Everything is heightened and hyped up. I am excited, and I know the rest of us are too.

"Both my mom and dad went there. They will be wearing Buffs gear for sure. I just always hope we can beat them, so I can rub it in their face a little bit. It is all fun and games and I am glad that I can have that little rivalry within my family."

Colorado State finished 21-12 last season, recording its fifth-straight 20-win season. The Rams finished tied for fourth in the Mountain West Conference and advanced to the second round of the WNIT. The Rams turned their roster over to start the 2018-19 season, returning just one starter from last season. Newcomer, Mollie Mounsey, was voted the Mountain West's Preseason Newcomer of the Year.

Tip is set for 7 p.m. MT. Cory Lopez and Carrol Callan will have the call from courtside on AM 630 (KHOW).
"

Game notes
- https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/11/12//Colorado_State.pdf

Media links -
Live video
(Free live stream) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live audio (Audio stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2239&type=Live

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

CSU defeated Eastern Colorado in their season opener, 72-46. The Rams were led by sophomore guard Lore Devos who is from Belgium with 23 points.

Interestingly, CSU played only 8 players - they've got 14 on their roster.

Hope the Buffs play with more urgency on both ends of the floor than they did versus UNC. Hopefully Cam Swartz can play and Emma Clarke has recovered from her travel to and from India. Both of them should be in contention for some minutes this season.

CSU had 5 transfers at the end of last season, including one player who saw a lot of playing time.

CSU defeated Eastern Colorado in their season opener, 72-46. The Rams were led by sophomore guard Lore Devos who is from Belgium with 23 points.

Interestingly, CSU played only 8 players - they've got 14 on their roster.

Hope the Buffs play with more urgency on both ends of the floor than they did versus UNC. Hopefully Cam Swartz can play and Emma Clarke has recovered from her travel to and from India. Both of them should be in contention for some minutes this season.
Well, you made me look that one up as I had never heard of "Eastern Colorado" (at least not as a college). Turns out CSU played Eastern New Mexico in their opener.

Well, you made me look that one up as I had never heard of "Eastern Colorado" (at least not as a college). Turns out CSU played Eastern New Mexico in their opener.
What was I thinking last night? Of course there's no "Eastern Colorado" university. Well, at least the landscape in eastern and western Colorado looks about the same.

CSU had 5 transfers at the end of last season, including one player who saw a lot of playing time.
I had forgotten about that. I think at the time of the departures the CSU head coach was assuring everyone that all is well with the program.

Yes, the coach was telling everybody the program was fine. I know they have on grad transfer from Wisconsin. She attended the same high school I did many years ago or I wouldn't know about her. Her career at Wisconsin was riddled by injuries. I do hope she stays injury free this season. I don't know how much she is playing at CSU.

It's always concerning when that many players leave in a short period. On Raoul's transfer sheet, the grass isn't always greener. There are a lot of P5 players who transferred to DII, Juco, DIII or NAIA schools.

14-13 Buffs at end of 1st. Other than Hollingshed and Tuitele, CU can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

14-13 Buffs at the quarter.

Would say this one is pretty much all about shooting so far, as the Buffs have been getting some very good shots and lead 7-4 in offensive boards, and playing tough D (they've already helped cause 6 CSU turnovers), but are only 5-19 from the field.

30-21 Buffs at the half. CU’s offense is pedestrian v CSU’s zone.

Tempo is in CSU’s favor. But Buffs are ahead as they’ve launched at lot more shots.

Lid has gone on the bucket for csu, allowing the Buffs to go up 38-21 at the 3rd quarter media timeout.

Kennedy Leonard went out for a rare rest, and it's freshman Lesila Finau who came in for her. (Point guard will obviously be a question mark after Ms. Leonard's graduation, so will be interesting to see who might be stepping into that position when she leaves.)

A couple notes-
  • GREAT to see that Cameron Swartz was able to get on the court so quickly!
  • Assume most are aware, but wanted to note if you keep the live stream going, you can usually hear the live post-game press conferences a few minutes after the game completes.

interesting listening to the CSU radio the coach and the broadcaster thought the tempo was in CU's favor and the only reason CU won while CU people thought CSU controlled the tempo. Personally I though the game was in CSU's tempo. Robison and Jank need to get going. CSU is not good, they looked slow and not very athletic. I am little worried about CU when they play better teams.

Personally I though the game was in CSU's tempo. Robison and Jank need to get going. CSU is not good, they looked slow and not very athletic. I am little worried about CU when they play better teams.

Agree with all of the above. CSU's 2-3 zone for the majority of the game kept CU out of the paint and forced them to move it around the perimeter. Much of the time early in the game it would result in a three. Unfortunately, it the only player hitting from that range was Hollingshed. For the game, the Buffs were 10-38 from downtown and 21 - 73 overall. Good news is that CU destroyed CSU on the boards, which is a big reason they won.

In the second half CSU gradually wore down and CU was more successful in getting points in the paint. I was impressed with Peanut Tuitele's play in this regard. She is the only Buff that played "big." She had 14 points and 9 rebounds in 26 minutes. At this point she's looking like a starter.

You are correct about Jank and Robinson - they have really been struggling and they were two I was thinking would be key to the team's success this season.

Good that all five freshmen got into the game. After Tuitele, I thought Finau was the best of the bunch.

OOPS, forgot to mention that Aubrey Knight looked to have injured her shoulder - I assume the same one she injured and had surgery on last spring.

Peanut has been the best freshman. I think Swartz can offer some firepower off the bench when she gets comfortable. Finau has surprised me. She may be a serviceable point guard next year

Article on the win.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/14/womens-basketball-colorado-shuts-down-rival-rams.aspx

"
BOULDER –The Colorado and Colorado State women's basketball teams met for the 50th time at the Coors Events Center on Wednesday. The Buffaloes used a stellar defensive performance and timely shooting to secure the 59-40 victory in front of 1,394 CU faithful.

STAT LEADERS: Colorado sophomore Mya Hollingshed led the game with 15 points. She went 5-of-9 from the field and snagged seven rebounds. Freshman Peanut Tuitele was right on her heels with 14 points, going 6-of-11 from the floor. She finished one rebound shy of her first career double-double, closing with nine.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado's defense held the Rams to 14 total field goals. CSU finished 14-of-52 from the floor, shooting 26.9 percent. The Buffs totaled 56 rebounds on the night, scoring 21 second-chance points.

NOTES: Colorado shot a school-record 38 3-pointers…the Buffs improved to 25-2 at home against the Rams and 38-12 all-time...first time Colorado held an opponent to less than 30 percent shooting since Westminster last season (28.1 percent)…CSU was held under 10 points in the second (8) and third (9) quarters…first time CU has hit 10 3's in a game since Arizona last season (11)…CU trailed three times in the first quarter…the Buffs have now won its last four games dating back to last season at the CU Events Center.

UP NEXT: The Buffs will host North Carolina on Sunday. Tip is set for 1 p.m. MT

POSTGAME QUOTES:
Head Coach JR Payne

On overall thoughts
"It was a great game. We knew that Colorado State would have a game plan that would try to slow us down. We like to play fast, and they like to play a little bit slower. I thought they were effective with that in the first half. Our defense kept us in the game and then in the second half we were able to make some adjustments that were much more aggressive offensively and defensively. Our rebounding effort was great. To outrebound them by 16 is phenomenal for us and is always a goal for us. I am proud of our effort tonight."

On team's 3-point shooting
"We talked about not wanting to shoot a bunch of 3's, but then I think four of our first five shots were 3's. They were so open we could not resist. Mya [Hollingshed] hit a couple and Lex [Robinson] hit a couple. Whoever was hitting them in the first half was great. Mya's 3 early in the second half was one of the biggest 3's of the night. It really boosted our confidence."

On shooting a school-record 38 3-pointers
"We have some work to do offensively. I guess we feel good about ourselves from the 3-point line. We talked to our players that when your feet are set, and it feels good, shoot it. We want our players to be confident shooting the basketball. There is a difference between jacking up shots and taking good shots. I think the shots that we took were on balance and in our range by people who can shoot the ball. It was not that they were bad shots, just some of them were probably quicker than we would have liked. We wanted to be a little more aggressive off the bounce. From the first half to the second half we were able to make that adjustment."

On Peanut Tuitele
"Peanut does everything. We talk to our team about our roles on the team. Everyone has a role. Peanut's [role] went on forever. It was like, 'We need you to rebound, we need you to shoot the ball, and we need you to penetrate.' The bottom line is she can do all of those things. Her energy is fantastic. [Mya Hollingshed and Peanut] have great energy for our ball club. Everyone fed off those offensive-board put-backs and all of the things like that."

On facing North Carolina
"It is kind of crazy we have only had two games. It seems like some other teams have played three or four games already. This week of practice was really good. We had some great practices. The great thing is now we can shift all our focus to North Carolina. We were pouring everything into Colorado State and now these guys have to flush that really quickly. Everything has to be about UNC. They are a great team. They are also undefeated. We are excited for them to come play us here at the Events Center."
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=12425

Highlights-

Press conference-

Ragged game. Disappointed in that, but I have to remember we have a lot of new players.

Peanut looks like she has the makings of a good basketball player. She has the much needed size.

It was great to see Swartz in uniform and in the game. Obviously not 100%, but what's most important is her health.

The entire team needs to improve shooting and free throws. Mya did fine on her free throws, but Peanut missed hers. We all know free throws matter.

The team on the court last night will not do well in the Pac-12. But that is a few weeks away and we have time to work.

Got to get to where most 3 point attempts are after a paint touch (entry pass, drive or O rebounding) kicking out to a shooter.

Ragged game. Disappointed in that, but I have to remember we have a lot of new players.

Peanut looks like she has the makings of a good basketball player. She has the much needed size.

It was great to see Swartz in uniform and in the game. Obviously not 100%, but what's most important is her health.

The entire team needs to improve shooting and free throws. Mya did fine on her free throws, but Peanut missed hers. We all know free throws matter.

The team on the court last night will not do well in the Pac-12. But that is a few weeks away and we have time to work.
It won't take long for Peanut to become a fan favorite.

Back