What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - Women's Basketball hosts North Carolina (Sun., 11/18, 1:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Hope some Allbuffians can make it out to the game.

Go Buffs- let's go 2-0 against the UNCs this year!

Preview-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/16...lorado-turns-attention-to-north-carolina.aspx

"
BOULDER—The Colorado women's basketball team closes out its season-opening three-game homestand on with North Carolina on Sunday.

The game is a rematch from last season. Colorado traveled to Chapel Hill and took the Tar Heels to overtime. The two teams finished regulation tied at 74. UNC shot 5-of-9 in overtime and outscored Colorado, 13-6, on its way to the 87-80 win.

Kennedy Leonard led Colorado with 24 points and seven assists. Alexis Robinson totaled 16 points and Annika Jank added 15 in the loss. North Carolina's Paris Kea led all scorers with 28.

Sunday will be the third ever meeting between the Buffaloes and Tar Heels. The two schools first met in Boulder for the second round of the 2003 NCAA Tournament. Colorado got 34 points from Tera Bjorklund in the Buffs' 86-67 win.

Colorado has been aggressive on the glass in its first two games. The Buffs are averaging 46.0 rebounds per game and rank 11th in the NCAA with 20 offensive boards per game. Freshman Peanut Tuitele is averaging 9.0 rebounds per game, ranking eighth in the Pac-12.

The Buffs also rank second in the Pac-12 with 91 forced turnovers in two games. Leonard leads the conference with 4.0 swipes per game. Colorado has scored 23.0 points per game off of turnovers this season.

Sunday's tip is set for 1 p.m. MT. Fans can listen to the Buffs all season long on AM 630 (KHOW).

Promotions: #SundayFunday. There will be pregame inflatables, face painting, games and crafts in Chip's Corral. Kids 12 and under are free. Fans with a ticket from Saturday's football game against Utah will receive $5 tickets.
"

Game notes
- https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/11/16//North_Carolina.pdf

Media links -
Live video
(Free live stream) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live audio (Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2240&type=Live

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Several of us were chatting on Twitter about the live stream, which didn't work much of the time today. I do hope it is fixed for future games.

We are spoiled. It used to be unless the game was televised, you had to listen on the radio. At least there was an audio stream and live stats for this game.

Was glad to see Jank pull out of her funk and hit buckets. Clarke had good minutes in Knight's absence. Peanut is fun to watch.

Ken is the reliable Ken. I hope she has a fantastic senior season.

Very rough start to the game with the Buffs down 1 - 11. They battled back and I was impressed with the poise of the freshman during some key stretches and nice to see Jank have a strong showing. Much better showing then the last game and has raised my expectations for the season.

I'm a huge fan of Coach Payne and these senior players. Pumped to see them start the year off right.

Article after (and highlights of) today's win.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/18/womens-basketball-buffs-finish-off-north-carolina-86-74.aspx

"
BOULDER –The Colorado women's basketball team finished its season-opening homestand a perfect 3-0 on Sunday. The Buffaloes weathered an early storm to claim the 86-74 win over North Carolina at the CU Events Center.

STAT LEADERS: Colorado had four players finish in double figures. Sophomore Annika Jank led Colorado with 25 points, one off her career-high. She added nine rebounds and two assists. Senior Kennedy Leonard totaled 24 points, going 4-of-4 from long distance. She also handed out eight assists and grabbed five rebounds. Senior Alexis Robinson and freshman Emma Clarke each finished with 11 points.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado got out and ran on the Tar Heels. The Buffs outscored North Carolina, 22-4, on the fast break.

NOTES: Colorado improves to 2-1 all-time against North Carolina and 2-0 in Boulder…the Buffs have now won their last five games dating back to last season at the CU Events Center…CU has now beaten an ACC team in back-to-back years, having won at Miami (Fla.) last season…Colorado totaled season-highs in points (86), field goals made (30), field goal percentage (46.9), and 3-pointers made (11)…Colorado totaled a season-high 38 points in the paint…Jank set a career-high with 10 field goals made…Leonard had a season-high eight assists…Robinson's 11 points marked a season-high.

UP NEXT: The Buffs hit the road next week for the first time this season. Colorado will spend Thanksgiving in Reno, Nev., playing in the Nevada Nugget Classic. CU will take on Nevada on Friday and Utah State on Sunday.

POSTGAME QUOTES:
Head Coach JR Payne

On CU's early struggles and bouncing back
"Our energy just was not great initially. They came down, hit a 3 and we were just kind of slow offense and average on defense. UNC was getting offensive rebound put-backs and kind of everything we talked about, we were not executing initially. After the timeout, I thought our team did a great job in responding. We came out and were aggressive on the glass. We were pushing in transition and we did a lot of really good things after that first timeout."

On what defensively helped turn things around
"I think the biggest thing was rebounding. I do not know how many of their first points were from offensive rebounds. After that first three they hit, they had a lot of offensive rebounds that were leading to point production. I think the biggest thing was we got in a stance, worked to defend, communicated and then rebounded."

On if this game was reminiscent of last year's comeback against Utah
"Yes, very much so. It should. We do not want to play that way though. We would like to just win the tip, score the first basket and lead the entire game. That is the goal. I think we will grow from this and learn that we are capable of competing with, coming back against and executing all the things we want to do against anybody."

On the team's depth
"It is awesome. Ad eep team is a good team. To play the tempo that we want to play we have to have depth. I was a little worried about Aubrey [Knight] not playing tonight because she has been a great spark plug for us off the bench. Emma [Clarke] came in at that position and was just phenomenal. She did everything we wanted from that spot. She was running the floor, giving Kennedy [Leonard] opportunities to deliver in transition. She was tremendous on the glass. She ended with eight rebounds. Peanut [Tuitele] is the ultimate spark plug off the bench because she can do anything and everything that a team needs. To have that type of energy and enthusiasm out of two players early off the bench is really good for us and going to continue to be good moving forward."

Kennedy Leonard, Sr., Guard
On working through the slow start
"We were down 11-1. Obviously, I think everyone was like 'oh crap,' but coach J called a timeout. That kind of pulled us all in and got us settled down. We have not been in that situation this year. To be able to settle down, go back on the court, run our plays and do what we do that allowed us to catch up to them and get ahead of them. We grew up a lot in this game and especially in that moment."

On Jank's performance
"When Annika is hitting, she is hitting. In the flow of the game, I don't really think about it too much. Coach J calls the plays and they get the ball to Annika. If she is hitting then the plays will be called to her and she will hit her shots."

On what the win means for CU
"I think that puts some respect on us. A lot of people doubt us and are, 'like oh you know Colorado.' We were down 11-1 and came back from that. We never settled. I think that they can look at us in a light that is a little more competitive. Like Annika said we are not going to give up. We are coming."

Annika Jank, So., Forward
On what contributed to her effort
"I was not thinking. I was way over thinking the first two games and freaking myself out. This last week I have been thinking hard about stuff and getting in the gym and practicing what I know. I lost my game so I looked back [at last year] and I know what I do well. It was letting the game come to me, not forcing it and being confident in what I do."
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/11/18//Box_Score_North_Carolina_at_Colorado_18_November.pdf

Press conference-

Boy do these Buffs like to run. And when they do they seem to have more poise and confidence on the offensive end. It really doesn't make sense for most opponents to try to keep up with them. Once CU started to quickly come back from the early deficit I turned to a friend and said that UNC was going to run out of gas. I think the tempo was a good part of the reason why the Buffs shot so well.

Oh, rebounding was key as well to the win. Emma Clarke as soon as she stepped on the court did her part. And Tuitele and Jank both grabbed rebounds at critical moments.

Emma Clarke really made a difference off the bench with both scoring and opportune rebounding - she was a difference maker. So was Tuitele, primarily with her rebounding.

Of course it was a vintage game for Kennedy who is really at home pushing the pace. And then there was Annika Jank who broke out of her funk on both ends of the court. She was really assertive for the first time this season and confident as well. For the Buffs to have continued success she is going to have to continue playing at a very high level.

UNC was the first and perhaps will be one of only two teams the Buffs face in the non-conference portion of their schedule that is going to be as athletic and big as what they'll see in the Pac 12. But I would guess not all of those conference foes will try to run with CU in Boulder.

Sylvia Hatchell has been in Boulder twice with her Tar Heels. I doubt she has fond memories.

Back